VWVortex.com - Recently acquired '02 Passat w/ W8
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Recently acquired '02 Passat w/ W8

1. 08-04-2019 03:03 PM #1
      FIRST PROJECT CAR; first jump into working on my own car.

I realize that there's probably at least 2 or 3 threads already floating around, but the search enging on the forum is giving me a **** time, so I'm just gonna narrow my questions down to my one thread:

Anyone with experience replacing the factory intake with a cold air?? Used the AutoZone site as a search reference, and no K&N, but a couple Spectres that are advertised as a fit for the W8. Or maybe just upgrading the filter as opposed to replacing the whole intake system??

Having an even harder time looking for an exhaust. Honestly just looking to beef up the sound of the muffler.

Want to either replace the headlight assembly with a black one, or apply a smoke tint. Advice on which way to go with it would be greatly appreciated. Headlight assemblies I've found online have said that they do not work with xenons, so thinking that maybe just going with the tint might be the move. Unless it's just as simple as buying different bulbs for the new assemblies.

Also thinking about switching over to LEDs in my headlights, will I need special harnesses or resistors to do so, or should I be able to just buy LED bulbs??

As I said already, this my first project car and first time working on my own car. So any advice is going to be greatly appreciated. Thanks y'all.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2011 Golf TDI 2 Door 6MT, 1998 Cabrio 5MT, 1997 VW Golf 5MT
      08-07-2019 02:45 PM #2
      What do you want a CAI for? The sound of it? Big engines like air, but VW's airboxes are pretty damn good on flow. eBay has been a good option for cheap (non-oil lubricated) filters when I decided to do it. (Three ruined factory airboxes, thanks previous owners for two of those, and thanks Minnesota for rusty screws on the other) That being said, I would have kept factory airbox on all three if it was a cheaper option. Unless you need to replace it or have power numbers from other threads, keep the original airbox. It's just one less thing.

Exhaust is another item I'd look at eBay for. The other option is, forget bolt-on and just consider going to an exhaust shop who can cut out the final muffler/resonators and weld pipes from there back. Will be louder, won't be obnoxious. Did this on my V6 Passat. Just chopped out the final muffler for a slightly louder (at WOT and high RPMs) exhaust and not being annoying while cruising.

Get an aftermarket headlight assembly. Again, ebay is a good option. I put these on my B5.5 1.8T, not sure if they'll work with the higher trim package on the W8.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382305333473

They were brighter and looked awesome, not the easiest install and I'm sure the W8 wouldn't help with engine bay crowdedness, but I think you knew that when you bought it.

As for any new project, get maintenance done first before modding. Check for leaks, check the condition of the timing (chain or belt? idk on the W8), check accessory belt, check fluid levels, spark plugs, coils, ect.

I had a 1.8T B5.5 Wagon (auto) and a V6 B5 Wagon with a stick. Let me know what questions you have. I can tell you that the best mods I did were the headlights and blacked out sidemarker turn signals. Drastically improved the look. Lowering coils are always a good option too. They were my winter beaters so I stayed away from that though.
      2011 Golf TDI 2 Door 6MT - Things wrong 0 -
      1998 Cabrio 5MT - Things wrong (at least) 4 - Simple enough, but need more time
      1997 Golf 5MT 4 Door 2.slow - Things wrong 5 - Cyl1 misfire - rattle from passengers front - speedometer - MAF - Radio will only turn on sometimes

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Passat GLX Wagon (2.8L V6 "ATQ")
      08-07-2019 09:46 PM #3
      “As for any new project, get maintenance done first before modding. Check for leaks, check the condition of the timing (chain or belt? idk on the W8), check accessory belt, check fluid levels, spark plugs, coils, ect.”

This is good advice above. Forget about all these mods you want to do for the time being. You are likely to have thousands of dollars of maintenance and repairs required pertaining to the problematic W8 engine. Deal with that stuff first. Research the W8 engine and you’ll find out what the scoop is with this experimental engine and why it did not last very long.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      08-08-2019 07:36 AM #4
      Have you not noticed the W8 comes with very effective HID headlights? It would be a shame to replace them with something inferior. If you MUST do "something" to them, try a light, removable tinted film. Remember, you'll be decreasing the effectiveness of an important safety system; you want to be able to change your mind.

Similarly, the factory cold air intake is very good. Most aftermarket replacements will impair performance, rather than help it.

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      Current: 2016 CC VR6 4motion Past: 2010 CC VR6 4motion, 2003 Passat W8
      08-10-2019 04:55 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
      Have you not noticed the W8 comes with very effective HID headlights? It would be a shame to replace them with something inferior. If you MUST do "something" to them, try a light, removable tinted film. Remember, you'll be decreasing the effectiveness of an important safety system; you want to be able to change your mind.

Similarly, the factory cold air intake is very good. Most aftermarket replacements will impair performance, rather than help it.
      It may not be obvious, but the W8 has a second set of halogen high beam bulbs in the inside position of the headlight assemblies. I think you need to pull out the headlight switch to the second position to get them to turn on. Check the manual, I may not be remembering the proper method. You may want to replace the "city light" bulbs with xenon color matched bulbs to keep all the bulbs a similar color temperature.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Passat GLX Wagon (2.8L V6 "ATQ")
      08-10-2019 05:26 PM #6
      Looks like the OP has gone away.

9. 08-14-2019 04:10 AM #7
      Thanks everyone!! Sorry, I didnt leave the post, just work and stuff had me extremely busy and havent had a chance to check back on the post!!

Repairs were actually the first thing I took care of when I got the vehicle, so I'm happy to see that I did the correct first step and that everyones advice is already on point, haha.

Definitely going to look at just having the resonator removed; and if I'm correct, doing so should not mess with my emissions.

Also greatly taking into consideration about not messing with my intake or the engine too much or not at all, due to everyones advice, thank you!!

Tinting my headlights as opposed to changing the assemblies has also been a considerstion!! I have been looking for what are essentially factory headlight assemblies as far as the build goes, just that parts of the inside of the housing have been made black.

Once again, I greatly appreciate everyone's advice thus far!! Thanks y'all!!