Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Lower Shock Bolt

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      08-05-2019 07:14 PM #1
      Earlier this year I bottomed out on a major evil pothole from hell. Left rear wheel.

This has lead to an ongoing problem where the back left lower shock bolt starts to come slightly loose and will need to be re-tightened.
      Indicators are a metal on metal sound that gets louder and louder and a slight looseness in the back.

I've had it checked by local guy and a VW pro shop, and neither could find anything wrong. The only thing the pro shop pointed out was that my spring seats in the rear are extremely thin (Mfg Part # 1K0512149B) and that getting normal sized ones might alleviate the problem. Even talking it over with my local guy, who found the loose bolt to be the only answer, isn't sure if that'll solve it perm or not.

The thing is, once it's tightened, there's no noise, even on big bumps, no give in the back nothing, and the build up is slow and gradual.
      This problem did NOT exist at all previous to hitting that pothole.

So wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this and what the answer was for you?
      Last edited by VWPony; 08-05-2019 at 07:18 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-05-2019 08:10 PM #2
      Use red thread locker and call it a day ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      92 Corrado SLC, '12 Golf R
      08-05-2019 09:10 PM #3
      If the bolt is slightly bent it will rotate when it's worked against and could make it loosen up. Replace the bolt. While doing that, see if the holes took enough impact to "mushroom" them thicker in the edge of the hole. Unless you're using a soft washer, if its not flat the bolt head could be loaded from one side only, making it slowly yield when worked against by the shock.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
      2002.5 Jetta 1.8T - TOTALED (dodging deer)
      2002.5 24v GTI - TOTALED (rear-ended by a Jeep)
      1992 Corrado SLC - Daily Driven (when it's not broken)
      2012 Golf R - Daily Driven (when Corrado's broken)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      08-07-2019 09:28 AM #4
      Weirdly, I had the same issue a couple of years ago. A new bolt solved the problem.

N91066201

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      08-07-2019 08:03 PM #5
      Slight Update:

First:
      Quote Originally Posted by TimS78 View Post
      Weirdly, I had the same issue a couple of years ago. A new bolt solved the problem.

N91066201
      I'm glad to hear this tbh. Really glad. Thanks for posting.

Re: GTIVRon
      Thanks especially for your input. I discussed the issue with my mechanic yesterday and he affirmed that he did not remove the bolt to inspect it, but had only tightened it. He also mentioned he gave it a good tightening the last time I brought it in for such. IMHO even if he did, what you describe would undo that anyways. We'll definitely know once we get it on the lift and see if it's loose at all (which we haven't had the chance yet).

Atm he's looking into it with getting a new bolt (and pricing to see if he can get lower than I was finding), and ditto on the spring covers. The intention is to replace both the bolt and the covers (bc they are a thin make and probably beyond hosed at this point in the car's life).

I don't have stock shocks. They were replaced by the previous/original owner when he dropped it. And unfortunately there is no branding on them. Neither my local guy nor NGP were able to figure out who's exactly they were, but that they were of sturdy design/make so I shouldn't be worried.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      08-09-2019 07:49 PM #6
      Update:

Today we put the car up on a lift, and the bolt was still tight despite the symptoms.
      The new lower shock bolt had arrived as well so we swapped them.
      There was a degree of rust build up on the outer side of the bolt, but it otherwise did not appear to be bent.
      I took pictures as well for later to go in and examine more closely.
      The casing/housing around the bolt also showed no signs of damage.

After installing the new bolt, like when tightening it, no symptoms were displayed.
      As before, we'll have to give it a few weeks or a month to see if the symptoms return or not.

At this time I chose not to replace the spring covers, as they did not seem to be the issue, as they were still in play and we both agreed we would be hearing a different sound of that was the case.

Looking to update in a month if no symptoms return, or sooner if they do. So for now, fingers crossed.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-16-2019 08:47 PM #7
      Month Later Update:

Problem has not returned. Issue resolved by replacing lower shock bolt.

Thanks again for the help/feedback!

Vehicles
      2002 GTI VR6, 2012 Golf R 2dr loaded
      09-17-2019 09:50 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by VWPony View Post
      Earlier this year I bottomed out on a major evil pothole from hell. Left rear wheel.

This has lead to an ongoing problem where the back left lower shock bolt starts to come slightly loose and will need to be re-tightened.
      Indicators are a metal on metal sound that gets louder and louder and a slight looseness in the back.

I've had it checked by local guy and a VW pro shop, and neither could find anything wrong. The only thing the pro shop pointed out was that my spring seats in the rear are extremely thin (Mfg Part # 1K0512149B) and that getting normal sized ones might alleviate the problem. Even talking it over with my local guy, who found the loose bolt to be the only answer, isn't sure if that'll solve it perm or not.

The thing is, once it's tightened, there's no noise, even on big bumps, no give in the back nothing, and the build up is slow and gradual.
      This problem did NOT exist at all previous to hitting that pothole.

So wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this and what the answer was for you?
      Can you describe the noise with more details please? Thanks!

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      09-22-2019 02:13 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by felixang View Post
      Can you describe the noise with more details please? Thanks!
      I'll try my best.

It sounds like two metal poles hitting each other as the suspension goes up and down from a bounce (mainly over a speed bump).
      It is quick and and brief sound, doesn't ring, doesn't linger, but happens multiple times as you slowly go over the bump.
      Louder and more pronounced the 'harder' you hit the bump and engage the suspension to bounce you up and down.
      It is not a grinding sound at all, but a direct hit.

It's harder to hear if you have the windows up, clear as a bell if you have them down.
      You'll have a hard time hearing it on the freeway because of the wind noise, so no point there.

Just go slow over a speed bump, preferably diagonally so each wheel hits one at a time.
      Stick your head out the window as you do and you won't miss it.

Sounds like two metal objects are smacking each other.

Starts very small, but as the days/weeks go on it just gets louder and louder until you can clearly hear it inside the cabin with the windows up.

You start thinking your wheel is about to break off it becomes so loud.

I have the old lower shock bolt, and there honestly appears to be no damage to it at all.
      We even tested it vs the new one by rolling it with the head off the table and it rolled smooth.
      Nothing we could see with the naked eye to indicate a problem.

I'm honestly not sure it was the bolt, or if it was simply disassembling things in order to replace it and put it back together that resolved it. I didn't want to pay to go thru this process again, so took forum advice and just replaced the bolt entirely. They are dirt cheap anyways. It's all in the labor.

By now it should have been well into making noise and it's not. Perfectly quiet.
      Last edited by VWPony; 09-22-2019 at 02:15 AM.

Vehicles
      2002 GTI VR6, 2012 Golf R 2dr loaded
      09-22-2019 08:14 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by VWPony View Post
      I'll try my best.

It sounds like two metal poles hitting each other as the suspension goes up and down from a bounce (mainly over a speed bump).
      It is quick and and brief sound, doesn't ring, doesn't linger, but happens multiple times as you slowly go over the bump.
      Louder and more pronounced the 'harder' you hit the bump and engage the suspension to bounce you up and down.
      It is not a grinding sound at all, but a direct hit.

It's harder to hear if you have the windows up, clear as a bell if you have them down.
      You'll have a hard time hearing it on the freeway because of the wind noise, so no point there.

Just go slow over a speed bump, preferably diagonally so each wheel hits one at a time.
      Stick your head out the window as you do and you won't miss it.

Sounds like two metal objects are smacking each other.

Starts very small, but as the days/weeks go on it just gets louder and louder until you can clearly hear it inside the cabin with the windows up.

You start thinking your wheel is about to break off it becomes so loud.

I have the old lower shock bolt, and there honestly appears to be no damage to it at all.
      We even tested it vs the new one by rolling it with the head off the table and it rolled smooth.
      Nothing we could see with the naked eye to indicate a problem.

I'm honestly not sure it was the bolt, or if it was simply disassembling things in order to replace it and put it back together that resolved it. I didn't want to pay to go thru this process again, so took forum advice and just replaced the bolt entirely. They are dirt cheap anyways. It's all in the labor.

By now it should have been well into making noise and it's not. Perfectly quiet.
      Thanks!