VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Arteon 2020

38K views 210 replies 34 participants last post by  av_audi 
#1 ·
Any rumors yet about changes for the 2020 US models?

Number one on my wish list would be a DSG transmission, since manual seems to be a no-go.

What goodies would you like to see added to the US models?

#4 ·
a dsg tranny will add complexity and less reliability. Frankly, i dont think its necessary in a car such as the arteon. It will make the shift rougher and would not make this heavy car any more fun to drive. A turbo 6 under the hood would make a bigger difference as far as fun factor.

#5 ·
this

the DSGis great for quick shifts, but with the added power we have the 8 speed is actually the better option. especially if anyone plans on tuning this car, you will want that 8 speed transmission.

i for one would love a turboVR, but that will never happen.

#13 ·
Interesting! Anyone know exactly what next gen car-net and WiFi entails? I had it free in my Atlas last year after purchasing but didn’t pay for it as I really didn’t use it at all. The kids use my iPhone hotspot in the car when traveling, so not sure we would need the WiFi either?

#14 ·
Car-net is a joke.
you are basically paying for the same things android auto/apple car play does for free.

but with WAN built in the car, instead of your kids connecting to your phones hotspot, you connect your phone to your cars WAN, then passengers connect to the car instead of your phone. it stream lines the process really, i like it once it is all setup. something i wish we would of had already, especially considering the Arteon is supposed to be VW's flagship car.

#16 · (Edited)
There's more information on VW's media site: https://media.vw.com/releases/1186

"Arteon

The 2020 Volkswagen Arteon is available in four trims: SE, SEL, SEL R-Line, and SEL Premium R-Line. The Arteon features the next-generation Car-Net telematics system and standard in-car Wi-Fi capability when you subscribe to a data plan. SEL models now feature standard 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, while SEL Premium models now feature standard 20-inch wheels and R-Line® content."

So they're eliminating all the "extra" trim levels. There was supposed to be SE, SEL, SEL-P as well as SE R-Line, SEL R-Line, and SEL-P R-Line in 2019 (I don't think all of those variations ever showed up at dealerships) and all were to have 4motion as an option, with SEL-P's getting it standaed. But for 2020, there's only 4 Arteon models if I'm reading this correctly:
- SE (non-R-Line only)
- SEL (non-R-Line)
- SEL R-Line
- SEL-P R-Line

So no more SE R-Lines (again, not sure if any 2019s actually were made), no SEL-P non-R-Line. 4Motion isn't mentioned, so not sure how that plays out.

This simplification makes sense. When they announced the Arteon it seemed like WAY too many variations for a niche model. I'd say they could make all Arteons R-Line models; the only difference is the front bumper, the wheel design, and some interior trim (headliner, mostly). I also think it would be an interesting value proposition and differnentiator to make 4motion standard on all Arteons.

#17 ·
So they're eliminating all the "extra" trim levels. There was supposed to be SE, SEL, SEL-P as well as SE R-Line, SEL R-Line, and SEL-P R-Line in 2019 (I don't think all of those variations ever showed up at dealerships) and all were to have 4motion as an option, with SEL-P's getting it standard. But for 2020, there's only 4 Arteon models

They did build a few SE R-Lines. They were built along with the SEL Premium (non R-Lines) and sent as the third allocation after the SEL R-Lines (second allocation) came in. There are some listed on cars.com and all had the 20" rims (like the SEL R-Lines and certain later build SEL Premium R-Lines).

They are basically eliminating the SE R-Line and SEL Premium (non R-Line) and using the rest as fillers. I think it makes the most sense, but I still like the option to at least do a forced order trim like in the old days.

I am picking up my SEL Premium (non R-Line) tonight and am very excited as this is no longer available as a trim moving forward! I think the 19" rims from my trim will be the ones that are now on the SEL for 2020. Then the SEL R-Line and SELP R-Line will both have the 20s std.

Only other difference is the wifi which is available in EU as the WLAN module in the headunit. Hopefully they don't upgrade the headunit to the discover pro because that would bum me out a bit, but knowing them they won't because they don't want to encroach on audi base models with smaller screens than the 9.2".

#18 ·
Knocking the warranties down to 4 years too. Boo to that. I guess I’m a little more motivated to find a leftover MY19 this fall.

What is next gen carnet? All the Arteon’s have carnet now, right? I believe the premium is the only model that’ll let you put destinations from your phone into the nav. I assume that won’t be across the board. Is it just adding WiFi?

#19 · (Edited)
It adds the WLAN module to the headunit. Before they offered true next gen connectivity, you could only create a hot spot in your car by syncing your phone to the WLAN system and using your phone as the internet connection. This was even though the telematics system technically could support it, but VW had not signed an agreement with anyone (ie verizon) for a data plan option for customers. The only model with this WLAN non internet module in the US was the Atlas SEL/SEL Premium.

Now all models will have this module, and since they signed the deal with Verizon, you can use your CarNet subscription to get live data in your car as if it is the hotspot. In addition to this, I would imagine (cannot confirm) that there will be added functionality to the app such as the ability to remote start and or control the climate remotely. Something that they have been lacking compared to the competition like hyundai blue link or GMs onstar, for quite some time.

#20 ·
Here is a better summary of changes:

Arteon (SE, SEL, SEL R-Line, SEL Premium R-Line)
• New next-generation Car-Net telematics system/Wi-Fi
• SEL models get 19-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
• No more SE R-Line or SEL Premium non R-Line trims
• Reduced warranty from 6/72k to 4/50k (adds 2 years of maintenance)

#32 ·
Thats the same digital dash as on the B9 A5 minus the google earth. I use to have a S5 and the S5 and the Arteons may look similar but they are very different cars. The A5 is a raw 4 door hatch with stiff suspension and great in the city. The Arteon is almost like a A5 for the grown ups. The ride is more comfortable and it is more of a executive sedan.

#33 ·
The one on the 2019, yeah. It’s pretty close. The one in that picture isn’t though, and that appears to be what VW is moving to across the board. You throw a Honda steering wheel on that, and I’d instantly believe it was an Accord. That’s not great for a car with a $12k higher starting price (and/or priced just $5k under a comparable A4).

#60 ·
I am guessing its a cost saving measure going with a smaller display. It only makes the 2019 Arteon that much more special. It is not uncommon for car companies to implement cost saving measures after the first few years and VW did upgrade a few of the standard options on the 2010 to make up for the cheaper display.

#62 ·
which is why full size alloy spares will soon be replaced with a compact donut.

heck the .:R doesn't even have a spare to save a few pennies.

#65 ·
My Allroad was $54K and still only came with a compact un-inflated spare and a compressor, and you had to plug it in and fill it up. I got a flat the week before I traded it in, and used roadside service to come fix it, just because it was too PITA to pull all the junk and compressor out and go through that whole process. Thankfully I still had a few months left on the roadside assistance!

Much happier with the nice, full size spare in the Arteon - even if I never have to use it.

#69 ·
The dealership experience is definitely better with Audi but my VW dealer is decent when it comes to customer service. The Audi interior is a bit nicer as well, as to if its worth the extra the money. That depends on which audi we compare the arteon to. Both the a5 and a7’s interior is better quality but the arteon rides and handles more like the a7 than the a5. Passenger and Cargo space is also closer to the a7 than the a5. Since a new a7 is about $80000, the arteon at half of that price equipped also the same is a bargain.

#70 ·
[...] Since a new a7 is about $80000, the arteon at half of that price equipped also the same is a bargain.
That was pretty much my comparison right there.
And with the Opel Insignia in the other direction, affected heavily by the dread of dealing with Buick.

Speaking of other VW vs Audi comparisons, this must be embargoed from the U.S. b/c of potential cannibalization of A6 sales:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15097815/2017-volkswagen-passat-20t-euro-spec-review/

#72 ·
The split of the Passat into Euro and American models is what drove me out of Passat and into Audi. Not just that they were separate cars - but that the American version was fatter, softer, cheaper, and threw out some of the most important factors I wanted - no wagon, no AWD. I did trade my 07 VR6 4motion wagon for the 13 CC Executive, but that was also due to the fact that in 2013 many wagons had dropped off the market, and scoring wagon/hatch plus AWD required stepping well over $50K for any reasonable equipment levels.

My faith was restored over the past year or two when a lot more hatches and wagons returned to the market just above and below the $50K mark with AWD options...I went from having essentially no choices in 2013, to having choices from BMW, Buick, Kia, Audi, and VW at least...and even considering some of the smaller CUVs that really are just cars, even more choices.

But the equipment I could get on the Arteon, at the price point I could buy it for, and with the size and space...the only other close calls were the Kia Stinger, which stepped up too high in price and didn't offer much in the way of color preferences for me, and the Audi A5 sportback, which would require too much skimping on the option sheet to keep it close to the Arteon - I still would have been in it for over $50K and probably wouldn't have gotten as good a discount either. Essentially, nothing in the end could deliver the power, space, equipment, luxury, AWD, hatch or wagon, with price under $43K out the door.

I don't actually feel any noticeable lack of build quality, feel, luxury, etc compared to my Audi. While some switchgear or bits here and there are different, I don't feel like they're cheap, light, or poorly built. I personally don't mind if a window switch is the same as one in a less expensive model, as long as it's a solid, well built, nicely damped, and good-functioning switch. So far, friends and coworkers who have checked out the car and ridden in it haven't deemed it 'lesser' than my previous Audi - one of my coworkers has an A5 sportback bought this year - he was impressed with how much larger inside and in cargo the Arteon was, and said he would have considered it himself if it had been available in January when he bought his.

I have gone between VW and Audi and back to VW, and don't find any big difference within similar price ranges. ie: the cheapest Audi models feel very similar to VW models in that $35-40K range, and the medium level Audi models int he $50K range to me feel very similar overall to a top-end VW in the $50K range. Of course, Audi goes much higher on the price scale, and higher end Audis get appropriately swanky. The rare times VW steps into those elevations, such as the higher-end Toareg or the Phaeton, I'd consider them quite equivalent.

#74 ·
Very good write up. I have read countless posts by people who have not even sat in the car about how low quality the interior is. I guess they have Bentley level standards on every mass produced non-luxury vehicle now. Go sit in a Civic and let me know how that goes in comparison. The car is well built and the fit and finish is superb.

It is basically a euro passat with a GT hatch. Idk why people don't realize that.

#76 · (Edited)
This is my first VW, had many audi. The a5 and the stinger are smaller cars that rides stiffer than the arteon. Like mentioned earlier, the arteon sits snd rides more like an a7. The a7 is longer than the Arteon but most of that length is due to the a7’s longer hood to accommodate the v8 option. Material quality wise, the A7 is better but build quality is about the same. Seats are nicer in the A7. The arteon has more road noise and it is slower but still a pretty torquey engine none the less, especially in sport mode. Other than that, everything else is competitive between the two cars. The touch screen is actually better on the arteon.

#84 ·
Wow, that new digital cockpit screen sure looks cheap. Would much rather just have analog gauges than that cheap POS. That dash looks fine in a $25k Jetta, but makes a $45k Arteon look like cheap junk. Will likely be scratching the Arteon off my list of possible next cars because of this change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#93 ·
im kinda surprised my local dealer hasnt gotten any new Arteons. especially since i bought my SEL-P R-line w 4Motion only a week after it arrived.
since then, they have been sitting on an SE that looks like it hasnt been touched since it arrived...

but then again, that may be a telling sign in itself.

#97 ·
Its not just the Arteon, anything that resembles a sport back is not moving. My VW dealer had a real hard time selling my S5 trade in, they actually sold it at a loss. My Audi dealer tells me the A5 and A7 are not selling well either. The New Mercedes CLS450, Buick Regal, Stinger and BMW GT cars all hurting. Too much competition I guess. The only sport back looking car that is selling well is the Honda Accord.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.