Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Shift/Gear problems

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 1.8t Imola Yellow 20TH AE, 2004 Jetta 1.8t
      08-08-2019 04:03 PM #1
      I have a 2003 GTI 20th ae. I was in a longer ride than usual on a really hot day, the shifting started becoming sluggish. Usually happens on long drives.

But once I got home, I had to put it in reverse, but it didnt really feel like it came out fully. It was stuck in in gear and wouldn't budge no matter how much I tried.

But somehow, when I put it what I think is neutral, the car moves when letting off the clutch. And when I put it in what i think is first gear, the revs drops, but doesn't move when letting off the clutch.

It's been down for a few weeks now and i miss driving it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-09-2019 01:33 PM #2
      Bump

Vehicles
      '16 GTI Autobahn PP, 20th Anniversary GTI, '84 Jetta TD, '82 Rabbit Pickup
      08-09-2019 02:47 PM #3
      I would start with a linkage alignment: https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/h...hifter-cables/
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The Long Term Resident - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Project/Future Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup, Supercharged ABA
      Hers - '16 GTI Autobahn PP, '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '15 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-09-2019 05:14 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Rockerchick View Post
      I would start with a linkage alignment: https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/h...hifter-cables/
      Ive tried it. But since it is somewhat stuck in gear, I can't align it exactly. The shift lever (not sure if that's exactly what its called) doesn't move in and out. Not too sure on how much it should move though.

6. 08-09-2019 06:09 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by DopeTurtle View Post
      Ive tried it. But since it is somewhat stuck in gear, I can't align it exactly. The shift lever (not sure if that's exactly what its called) doesn't move in and out. Not too sure on how much it should move though.
      Try removing the shifter cables from the transmission first (the black plastic w/spring as illustrated by the link that rocker chick supplied). You can pull them back and twist them IIRC to lock the into place and that essentially disconnects the shifter mech (in the car) from the trans. Now, remove the shifter boot from the center console and expose the shifter. There is a 5 or 7 mm hole at the back left of the shifter housing, and on in the shifter rod itself. Grab an Allen key or similar to stick through both holes, locking the shifter rod to the left rear of the assembly, or approx 7-8 o’clock. Now go back to your transmission... hear it gets tricky and my memory fuzzy... the shifter mech at the transmission (the piece that is moved by the rods) needs to be pushed down, and a button(for lack of a better term) on the drivers side of the transmission case, not far from that mechanism, gets pushed in to lock it. Now release the black plastic pieces, pull the button back out, and it’s aligned.

Of course videos are usually better than text, so hopefully this one supplements my attempt of explanation above.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pUtZuLyr_sc

HTH

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-15-2019 01:26 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by brunjc2 View Post
      I haven't been able to get it in to neutral to start the alignment yet. Could something inside the transmission itself is stuck possibly?

8. 08-15-2019 07:07 AM #7
      Yeah because the shift lever is still connected to the transmission!

Disconnect the cables at the transmission as stated above, first and foremost.