VWVortex.com - SQ5 vs Macan S vs GLC 43 vs??
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SQ5 vs Macan S vs GLC 43 vs??

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Touareg TDI; 2015 MB GLK 250 BlueTec
      08-10-2019 09:11 AM #26
      Looked at and drove same choices recently. Kept coming back to MB GLC. Two things stopped me...the seats were definitely not up to MB standards. Comfortable for short trips but wearying on longer ones. And I really dislike immovable ipads tacked onto the dash on any car.

I ended up buying CPO A7 Prestige. It has Mercedes E class ride and quality, a hatch with more room than any of the suv's already discussed, great seats, and the iPad disappears into dash when not in use for a very clean Audi interior.

Obviously not a trail vehicle. But totally worth that tradeoff to me because once you get a taste of A7 fit, finish, ride, quality, and overall solidity on the road compared to the other vehicles I tested discussed above (including the Volvo, BMW, MB, Jag, Q5, plus JLR offerings) it was obvious that there is a huge gap between vehicles built to a $40k price point and those built to a $70k price point.

Full disclosure: we own a GLK 250, my wife's car. Fantastic vehicle. She loves it. That's what made me favor a GLC for myself. Until I saw what I could get for the same money in a CPO A7.

YMMV.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Touareg TDI; 2015 MB GLK 250 BlueTec
      08-10-2019 09:15 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      You chose to ignore the Atlas... ok.
      I had a Touareg TDI. Extraordinary vehicle. The Atlas doesn't come close! I second the recommendation to consider one as an alternative to vehicles discussed.

4. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      08-10-2019 10:21 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Well if you dont care about impressing the soccer moms at Whole Foods and don't mind having a slower car then the real answer is

This
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Vehicles
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      08-10-2019 10:26 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Well if you dont care about impressing the soccer moms at Whole Foods and don't mind having a slower car then the real answer is

Sorry I am regularly in one like this.... it is an horribly outdated vehicle and without the Toyota name, it would have been in oblivion a long time ago.

6. 08-11-2019 10:22 PM #30
      I had a 2017 4runner TRD, so can comment on that. it's like a cockroach. Unkillable. All terrain. Gutless as hell, especially in terms of torque. Rides well. Super comfy.

But, more to the point we have a 2018 Macan S and a 2016 SQ5 in the garage right now and have a few miles on them.

Folks are right about the cargo capacity of the Macan. The sloped rear window hurts. The floor size is roughly the same as the SQ5 but the height is compromised.

Having owned 4 or 5 golfs, no, the SQ5 and the Golf aren't "about the same size". Actually the SQ5 has close to the same cargo capacity as the 2016 Cayenne S I traded, in a smaller package.

Some pros and cons:

Macan:
      - Handles a bit better than the SQ5. Largely because it has a computer controlled center diff that is more rearward in its bias.
      - Ride is better as well as the handling
      - Seating position is a bit sportier
      - It's my wife's car and she loves it
      - If you shift with the paddles, the PDK is a better choice (than the ZF in the SQ)

SQ5:
      - I'm actually stunned by how much I like this thing. bought it CPO for cheap.
      - SC engine is *far* more responsive than the 3.0tt in the Macan
      - ZF8 is more responsive and sportier than the PDK. Shifts down and up amazingly quickly

I'd reach for the SQ5 keys all day every day over the macan. No doubt. it's just fun and rowdy. One of my favorite cars (going on 30+)

We drove the new B9 SQ5 and really wanted to like it. Absolutely hated it, for many reasons I'm happy to expand on. I'd highly recommend spending some time looking for a CPO B8.5. They are coming off of lease. They are a blast.
      '10 997S, '16 SQ5, '18 Macan S. Many departed fun cars.

7. 08-11-2019 11:08 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by smstiles View Post
      I had a 2017 4runner TRD
      Well, this thread seems like about a guy who's looking for a tuxedo, not sweatpants.

8. 08-11-2019 11:23 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by chocofrappe55 View Post
      Well, this thread seems like about a guy who's looking for a tuxedo, not sweatpants.
      Did you stop reading after the first sentence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      '10 997S, '16 SQ5, '18 Macan S. Many departed fun cars.

Vehicles
      1991 911, 2014 SQ5, 2016 allroad
      08-12-2019 08:40 AM #33
      I had a 2017 4runner TRD, so can comment on that. it's like a cockroach. Unkillable. All terrain. Gutless as hell, especially in terms of torque. Rides well. Super comfy.

But, more to the point we have a 2018 Macan S and a 2016 SQ5 in the garage right now and have a few miles on them.

Folks are right about the cargo capacity of the Macan. The sloped rear window hurts. The floor size is roughly the same as the SQ5 but the height is compromised.

Having owned 4 or 5 golfs, no, the SQ5 and the Golf aren't "about the same size". Actually the SQ5 has close to the same cargo capacity as the 2016 Cayenne S I traded, in a smaller package.

Some pros and cons:

Macan:
      - Handles a bit better than the SQ5. Largely because it has a computer controlled center diff that is more rearward in its bias.
      - Ride is better as well as the handling
      - Seating position is a bit sportier
      - It's my wife's car and she loves it
      - If you shift with the paddles, the PDK is a better choice (than the ZF in the SQ)

SQ5:
      - I'm actually stunned by how much I like this thing. bought it CPO for cheap.
      - SC engine is *far* more responsive than the 3.0tt in the Macan
      - ZF8 is more responsive and sportier than the PDK. Shifts down and up amazingly quickly

I'd reach for the SQ5 keys all day every day over the macan. No doubt. it's just fun and rowdy. One of my favorite cars (going on 30+)

We drove the new B9 SQ5 and really wanted to like it. Absolutely hated it, for many reasons I'm happy to expand on. I'd highly recommend spending some time looking for a CPO B8.5. They are coming off of lease. They are a blast.
      Funny you say that as I read everywhere that the SQ5 is as big as a GOLF.
      Ha! We picked one up used for my wife and it is incredibly spacious. Before the baby we loaded up furniture and were so impressed by the capacity.
      This coming from my allroad (it is bigger).
      The Macan is nice, neighbor has a GTS- huge Porsche fan but the Audi just does it better.

Our SQ is Stage 2 with ultracharger and is a lot of fun to drive. My only gripe is the seating position.

Anyway OP, glad you got what you wanted, the A7 is a great car- but quite the change from the SUVs you were looking at!

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      08-12-2019 08:53 AM #34
      SQ5 vs Macan S vs GLC 43

Those all sound like luxury softroaders, not family adventure vehicles.

Seeing that list though I suspect the 4Runner might be a little too Carhartt when what you really want is Patagonia+. I can't in good conscience suggest a Land Rover so how about a Lexus GX460? I'm sure they lease very well.

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '85 Mercedes-Benz 280CE
      08-12-2019 10:16 AM #35
      This seems to be a common theme, the new gen Audi's driving worse than their predecessors.

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      08-12-2019 10:30 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      AWD, boxy, space for weekends camping, weekends backpacking, and road trips (bye bye e-tron and Model X), as well as daily driven.
      Adventure off road? How 'bout the new RR Evoque?

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

08-12-2019 10:46 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      Adventure off road? How 'bout the new RR Evoque?

Not much space at all in those things.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

08-12-2019 11:00 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by dubjager View Post
      Anyway OP, glad you got what you wanted, the A7 is a great car- but quite the change from the SUVs you were looking at!
      Yeah I was convinced for a second OP was the one mentioning he went for a CPO A7. Double checked, turns out it wasn't OP.

I'm curious what Nourdmrolnmt will end up with. I agree with the suggestions to also look at the BMW X3. The updated model is quite versatile and I like mine (not an M anywhere near mine though, not as financially viable out here).
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

08-12-2019 11:18 AM #39
      XC60 is on the radar, but i don't feel it has the same presence.
      The XC90 is in your price range. We're on our second one. The first one was a T5. Now we have a T6 with more bells and whistles. It's not the newest or the most sporty or whatever. But it's very capable all around vehicle and I still think it looks better and more upscale than the X3 or GLC or SQ5 because it is. It's a class above them.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 AMG C63s Coupe, 2018 BMW X3 M40i, 2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 2016 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
      08-12-2019 11:29 AM #40
      In the same position about a year ago and almost pulled the trigger on the SQ5. Test drove the X3 M40i and I was sold.

Vehicles
      14 JGC Hemi, 69 Camaro SS 396
      08-12-2019 11:30 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      SQ5 vs Macan S vs GLC 43

Those all sound like luxury softroaders, not family adventure vehicles.

Seeing that list though I suspect the 4Runner might be a little too Carhartt when what you really want is Patagonia+. I can't in good conscience suggest a Land Rover so how about a Lexus GX460? I'm sure they lease very well.

Gods that looks so dated. I think the GX is a great car to own if its a post 3 year lease turn in. Buying one new? No way.
      Formerly Internal Combustion (4/2007)
      1969 Camaro SS 396- 396, M21 4 sp manuel, usual goodies
      14 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 17 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
      Old: 335xi, E320, Accord, WK, TJ, ZJ 5.9, Camaro, Prius

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      08-12-2019 11:46 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Off Pump View Post
      Gods that looks so dated. I think the GX is a great car to own if its a post 3 year lease turn in. Buying one new? No way.
      I don't disagree at all. I just wanted to suggest something with the ability of the 4Runner, but in a vehicle that would be more palatable to a Audi/MB/BMW shopper.

Personally, the GX460 I want is the 2013... last facelift before predator-face.
      Last edited by Sporin; 08-12-2019 at 11:48 AM.

19. 08-12-2019 12:00 PM #43
      Well... the car searching keeps changing.
      Ha. So I'm not the only one who starts threads like this...

20. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      08-12-2019 12:06 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Ha. So I'm not the only one who starts threads like this...
      But op can park his vehicles with no problems.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      08-12-2019 12:45 PM #45
      XC60 is on the radar, but i don't feel it has the same presence.
      I would argue it is most definitely the looker of the whole segment. The Germans are a dime a dozen, and especially the BMW is a snooze-fest stylistically.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      08-12-2019 03:23 PM #46
      The GLC is long in the tooth but still looks really good, plus I love Mercedes so it's an easy instinctive choice for me, but...

The SQ5 is probably the better all-around choice, and it looks good

Porsches are ridiculously overpriced considering the utility you lose

I find the XC60 in top trims to be stunning, it's a really beautifully designed crossover but more comfort and luxury than sport.

I think the X3 M40i is probably the freshest choice on the market right now, I'm not a fan of BMW's new styling language but the performance and utility combo of the X3 is pretty excellent.
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

23. 08-12-2019 03:44 PM #47
      I can't get past the fact the Macan cockpit is fundamentally about 8 years old now. Sure there have been a few tweaks with the facelift, but that's the same general layout they've been running since 2012.

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      08-12-2019 07:06 PM #48
      Is GLC 43 AMG not as good as its sedan counterpart? If it is, it would be high on my list.

Stelvio is another choice I like...are QV trim down to ~60K yet? Even 2.0T trim should handle better than everything except Macan.

I love the GX460 idea.

Durango SRT is an SUV I can't get enough of lately. Always turning my head cause R/T trim get the same hood...but not the 475 hp 6.4L V8! Tuning on 8-speed auto sounds just like a Giulia QV review video. Love the size too, bigger than mid-size, but not quite full size. Unibody chassis so can still handle well for something almost 3 tons. I think they've aged wonderfully (like Charger/Challenger - on same old E Class architecture?) & still look very good without being overwrought.
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI
      08-13-2019 05:31 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post

Durango SRT is an SUV I can't get enough of lately. Always turning my head cause R/T trim get the same hood...but not the 475 hp 6.4L V8! Tuning on 8-speed auto sounds just like a Giulia QV review video. Love the size too, bigger than mid-size, but not quite full size. Unibody chassis so can still handle well for something almost 3 tons. I think they've aged wonderfully (like Charger/Challenger - on same old E Class architecture?) & still look very good without being overwrought.
      I'm in the market for a three row around the 55-60k mark. I've got it down to the Durango SRT and Ford Explorer ST.

The SRT performance and sound is phenomenal, but the interior (including tech) is definitely dated.

The exploder is an all new design with new tech, is 800 lbs lighter and handles well for it's size. That coupled with the idea of it being easy to tune to match the SRT in power has me leaning that way.

Both are the only non-luxury RWD biased three row 'performance' SUVs you can get right now.

To the OP, I would definitely check out these two vehicles if you can deal with the large size and badge.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      2015 VW GTI - SE - 4-Door - Pure White - DSG <---- Stock, for now

26. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      08-13-2019 05:36 PM #50
      Saw an X3 M40i the other day; heard the burbles as he let off to stop for a red light. Made me smile enough that I needed to vote for it here again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast