VWVortex.com - SQ5 vs Macan S vs GLC 43 vs??
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SQ5 vs Macan S vs GLC 43 vs??

1. Member
      08-13-2019 05:43 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Saw an X3 M40i the other day; heard the burbles as he let off to stop for a red light. Made me smile enough that I needed to vote for it here again.
      I really wish it would default to Sport mode, but at least it's become second nature to push that button as I put the car in gear.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      08-13-2019 06:33 PM #52
      Kind of in the same boat. Looking at mid-level luxe-sport SUVs to replace the C300. The SQ5 and the XC60 T8 are on my short list. The GLC doesn't do it for me. I've had a non-AMG GLC as a loaner and it felt... cheap. Maybe I'm jaded but the current MB's just don't seem as well constructed.

I test drove an XC60 R-Design T5 and T6 back to back today. Ergonomics were decent, not great because I prefer tactile buttons over touch screens but that's just me being a luddite. Seats were incredibly supportive, comfortable, and held my larger-than-it-used-to-be ass in place. Overall design language of the current Volvo lineup is really doing it for me. Same goes for Audi. There is something elegant and understated about them.

Overall I was impressed with the T6. Acceleration was light years beyond the T5. When I stomped on the gas, the T5 cut off the AC to take strain off the engine. Not at all the case in the T6. I want to test drive the T8 but they didn't have one on the lot. I will be back for that one eventually.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

4. Member
      08-13-2019 06:44 PM #53

I made my choice last year and I would likely choose it again. I personally thought it was the most fun to drive plus sounds and looks fantastic.

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      08-14-2019 11:52 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by cgvalant View Post
      I'm in the market for a three row around the 55-60k mark. I've got it down to the Durango SRT and Ford Explorer ST.

The SRT performance and sound is phenomenal, but the interior (including tech) is definitely dated.

The exploder is an all new design with new tech, is 800 lbs lighter and handles well for it's size. That coupled with the idea of it being easy to tune to match the SRT in power has me leaning that way.

Both are the only non-luxury RWD biased three row 'performance' SUVs you can get right now.

To the OP, I would definitely check out these two vehicles if you can deal with the large size and badge.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      ^^^Can't disagree with any of this.

But...dated tech doesn't bother me (I still listen to CD's!). And if you look at dated tech=less problems/known quantities, then it's kinda an asset. But that's me, and I know I'm atypical.

Also, sweet N/A V8 + look really scratch my muscle car itch every time I see a Challenger/Charger/Camaro/Mustang. I've always wanted to like them (& do love the look & sound) but I don't think they fit me per se...but in an SUV, that's a different story.

I've always loved the Ford EB engines. Who doesn't like the idea of a TTV6 in just about anything?!, and easy power with tuning has always had appeal - as I've tuned all my turbo cars.

But yeah, looking forward to new Explorer ST reviews & maybe even a comparison test with DD SRT. Ford worked some magic with FiST & FoST, hopefully it continues somewhat in the Explorer.
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

6. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      08-14-2019 11:57 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      But yeah, looking forward to new Explorer ST reviews & maybe even a comparison test with DD SRT. Ford worked some magic with FiST & FoST, hopefully it continues somewhat in the Explorer.
      If the third row isn't a need, the JGC SRT should be on the list, too. More luxurious than the Durango and (IMO) better looking than its corporate twin.

Agree 100% with you on the Explorer ST. Cannot wait to get behind the wheel of one.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      08-14-2019 12:02 PM #56
      If the execution is right, the new Explorer should be a game-changer, but that's another size class above these, right? 3rd row?

I think it looks fantastic.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      08-14-2019 12:13 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      If the execution is right, the new Explorer should be a game-changer, but that's another size class above these, right? 3rd row?
      Two size classes above but who's counting

From the first drives I think it sounds like it'll be a nice vehicle and fun in its class, but you can't add that size and mass and still pull off the same level of fun as the three cars in the title here. (It's all relative, right? People here also say SQ5/X3/GLC43 aren't fun enough compared to S4/340i/C43.)

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      08-14-2019 12:19 PM #58

Oh no----having crawled around one of these in person the st gives the impression of an appearance package instead of something developed as a complete performance package like the st-badged ford cars. It's really not that great looking in person. The previous sport edition looks nicer, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

10. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      08-14-2019 12:20 PM #59

I dunno if it's a game-changer, it seems to me to be mainly an evolution of the previous model.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      08-14-2019 01:10 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      I dunno if it's a game-changer, it seems to me to be mainly an evolution of the previous model.
      Looks-wise, sure, but other than the 2.3EB engine being carryover, it's not related to the previous model.

It's the first real challenge against FCA in the unibody/RWD/large space while also going like stink, which I don't know if that makes it a game-changer but I expect it to do well. It's also a bit "boxier" in interior space than the Durango with 4x8 sheet hauling capability.
      Interior volume:
      Total incl passenger space - 152.7 ft3
      Cargo behind 3rd row - 18.2 ft3
      Cargo behind 2nd row - 47.9 ft3
      Cargo behind 1st row - 87.8 ft3

Probably going to be one of the roomiest choices to camp out of if OP's actually interested in that.

12. 08-14-2019 02:28 PM #61
      I've driven all 3 vehicles. Brief takeaways:

- The Macan was my least favorite. Really disappointing as I was expecting much more
      - The SQ5 surprised me as I was not expecting much. When in Sport mode, it's a fun ride
      - Kind of a luv/hate response to the GLC43. It needed just a bit more oomph. And, I need it just a tad lower.

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI
      08-14-2019 02:40 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Oh no----having crawled around one of these in person the st gives the impression of an appearance package instead of something developed as a complete performance package like the st-badged ford cars. It's really not that great looking in person. The previous sport edition looks nicer, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Did you drive it? Only comparing it to other cars in it's class, it handles better than the rest and is only slower than a DD SRT that had 75hp more. Blows the doors off our atlas and has better tech and comfort (massaging chairs!?). Has stiffer springs and beefier sway bars than the other trims.

Still handles/accelerates like a pig compared to smaller vehicles.

Ideally, I'd get a c8 Vette or RS3. But for now in my dad life, it's Explorer ST or DD SRT.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      2015 VW GTI - SE - 4-Door - Pure White - DSG <---- Stock, for now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123