VWVortex.com - 2018 MK7.5 DSG Golf R Blown motor
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Results 151 to 168 of 168

    Thread: 2018 MK7.5 DSG Golf R Blown motor

    1. 09-11-2019 11:22 AM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
      Anything can be construed as a waste of money to anyone or anybody. I get your logic but would you rather have me buy things that I can't show for like drugs, alcohol, gambling, fancy food, cigarettes, cigars, beer, movies, satellite radio, etc........ Guess I'm into cars more passionately than you........

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      I think you're missing my point. It is true a performance vehicle brings you enjoyment and an experience, but a vehicle itself is also a tangible object and a terrible investment financially.
      To each their own, but unless I'm a millionaire and can literally throw money away, I would never "build" a performance car because I want to retire someday at an early age. I would rather spend my money on experiences, such as seeing the world with loved ones, rather than pour it in a vehicle.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. 09-11-2019 07:09 PM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by kaschenberg View Post
      I think you're missing my point. It is true a performance vehicle brings you enjoyment and an experience, but a vehicle itself is also a tangible object and a terrible investment financially.
      To each their own, but unless I'm a millionaire and can literally throw money away, I would never "build" a performance car because I want to retire someday at an early age. I would rather spend my money on experiences, such as seeing the world with loved ones, rather than pour it in a vehicle.
      Different strokes for different folks.
      '18 R

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2010
      Posts
      654
      Vehicles
      '17 R
      09-11-2019 09:39 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by kaschenberg View Post
      I think you're missing my point. It is true a performance vehicle brings you enjoyment and an experience, but a vehicle itself is also a tangible object and a terrible investment financially.
      To each their own, but unless I'm a millionaire and can literally throw money away, I would never "build" a performance car because I want to retire someday at an early age. I would rather spend my money on experiences, such as seeing the world with loved ones, rather than pour it in a vehicle.
      Without a doubt. A motor vehicle is one of the single most rapidly depreciating financial liabilities. Spending money on tunes and mods only digs that hole even deeper because that money will never be recouped. In short, it’s an expensive toy. As long as you can budget for it, and ensure that you keep your financial priorities in line, there is no reason why a man shouldn’t enjoy some of his earnings.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      __________________________________________________
      Read my Warning about MSS Springs >>

      APR: Stage 2 ECU+TCU, CAI, DP, IC, Milltek exhaust (valved), Bilstein B16 Coilovers, Neuspeed 6-piston BBK w/370mm Rotors, Mk7.5 Tails

    5. Member DocWyte's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 1st, 1999
      Location
      Denver, CO
      Posts
      2,015
      Vehicles
      '03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT, '19 Golf R 6MT, '15 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
      09-12-2019 09:00 AM #154
      I've done a few extensive builds over the years, my G60 swapped Mk2 GTi in 1995, EIP turbod (they suck!) VR6 Corrado in 2001, AA supercharged E36 M3 in 2004, APR Stage 3 B5 S4 Avant in 2007, VF supercharged E46 M3 in 2009, LSx swapped 944 in 2011.

      Several of those cars I poured substantial amounts of time and money into, which I absolutely didn't get out when I sold them. Some I took complete baths on, some I did ok on, but even doing "ok" meant losing lots of money.

      I enjoyed the cars while I had them but when I look back on it I would've been better off just buying a more expensive, better performing car instead. Now I tend to do enjoy the "low lying fruit", so to speak. So my 911 has a tune, exhaust, coilovers, rear sway bar on it. Everything else is maintenance as its not worth doing more on it.

      If I had a blown motor like the OP I'd be tempted to do a built motor/big turbo setup, perhaps not to the extent he is, but still something along those lines. Either that or drop in a stock motor replacement and sell the car for an RS3 or whatever else that $$ delta would buy.
      The DD : '19 Golf R, Indium, 6MT
      The Fun Ride : '03 Porsche 911 Turbo, 6MT

    6. 09-12-2019 09:24 AM #155
      Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
      I've done a few extensive builds over the years, my G60 swapped Mk2 GTi in 1995, EIP turbod (they suck!) VR6 Corrado in 2001, AA supercharged E36 M3 in 2004, APR Stage 3 B5 S4 Avant in 2007, VF supercharged E46 M3 in 2009, LSx swapped 944 in 2011.

      Several of those cars I poured substantial amounts of time and money into, which I absolutely didn't get out when I sold them. Some I took complete baths on, some I did ok on, but even doing "ok" meant losing lots of money.

      I enjoyed the cars while I had them but when I look back on it I would've been better off just buying a more expensive, better performing car instead. Now I tend to do enjoy the "low lying fruit", so to speak. So my 911 has a tune, exhaust, coilovers, rear sway bar on it. Everything else is maintenance as its not worth doing more on it.

      If I had a blown motor like the OP I'd be tempted to do a built motor/big turbo setup, perhaps not to the extent he is, but still something along those lines. Either that or drop in a stock motor replacement and sell the car for an RS3 or whatever else that $$ delta would buy.
      Or swap RS3 motor into the golf R.... going right back down that road lol

      Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

    7. 09-12-2019 09:27 AM #156
      Ahhh Vortex, dude tells us about his blown motor then gets flamed for "blowing through his kids college fund" and making poor decisions on his hobby.

      Jesus, OP have fun man, hope your new built engine can shoot flames and has a 2 step anti-lag, enjoy the build and enjoying spending your money however the hell you feel like it.

    8. Member A3SBQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2013
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      222
      Vehicles
      Audi A3 2.0TSI quattro + DSG
      09-12-2019 10:06 AM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by o1turbo20v View Post
      Ahhh Vortex, dude tells us about his blown motor then gets flamed for "blowing through his kids college fund" and making poor decisions on his hobby.

      Jesus, OP have fun man, hope your new built engine can shoot flames and has a 2 step anti-lag, enjoy the build and enjoying spending your money however the hell you feel like it.
      Yes. Exactly my thoughts

      Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2003
      Location
      Lodi, CA
      Posts
      1,178
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      09-12-2019 05:21 PM #158
      With your kids college fund!

      Also, you’re blowing through your Ferrari money.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Rick

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R with a blown motor lol
      09-12-2019 07:58 PM #159
      Quote Originally Posted by gordonf238 View Post
      Without a doubt. A motor vehicle is one of the single most rapidly depreciating financial liabilities. Spending money on tunes and mods only digs that hole even deeper because that money will never be recouped. In short, it’s an expensive toy. As long as you can budget for it, and ensure that you keep your financial priorities in line, there is no reason why a man shouldn’t enjoy some of his earnings.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Exactly, which is why I'm doing this

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R with a blown motor lol
      09-12-2019 08:00 PM #160
      Quote Originally Posted by Dixon7R.5 View Post
      Or swap RS3 motor into the golf R.... going right back down that road lol

      Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
      God that would be epic!

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R with a blown motor lol
      09-12-2019 08:04 PM #161
      Quote Originally Posted by o1turbo20v View Post
      Ahhh Vortex, dude tells us about his blown motor then gets flamed for "blowing through his kids college fund" and making poor decisions on his hobby.

      Jesus, OP have fun man, hope your new built engine can shoot flames and has a 2 step anti-lag, enjoy the build and enjoying spending your money however the hell you feel like it.
      When you die you can't take it with you anyways, car or money. And me and my family are doing just fine so it's whatever....... I do like the the idea of a dump tube and shooting flames. You always see the typical Lambo, GT-R, Supra cars doing it but not a Golf R...... And I still get out and see the world and travel and go on road trips and do all that fun stuff and I'm not a millionaire either lol

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R with a blown motor lol
      09-12-2019 08:06 PM #162
      Quote Originally Posted by rickandshana View Post
      With your kids college fund!

      Also, you’re blowing through your Ferrari money.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      What if my kid doesn't go to college or doesn't need to go to college? Ferrari isn't my cup of tea. I'd still keep the R even if I had money for a Ferrari.

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R with a blown motor lol
      09-12-2019 08:09 PM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by kaschenberg View Post
      I think you're missing my point. It is true a performance vehicle brings you enjoyment and an experience, but a vehicle itself is also a tangible object and a terrible investment financially.
      To each their own, but unless I'm a millionaire and can literally throw money away, I would never "build" a performance car because I want to retire someday at an early age. I would rather spend my money on experiences, such as seeing the world with loved ones, rather than pour it in a vehicle.
      Everything else you said after enjoyment is blah blah blah. I live a good life and I will enjoy my fast car I build with my money that I make that and I might just keep it and give it to my son on his 16th birthday for all you know. Would you feel better if I blew my money on drugs, alcohol, or partying? I mean I still travel and have fun in life so what exactly is your point? Am I not allowed to have a hobby in life?

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R with a blown motor lol
      09-12-2019 08:12 PM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by rickandshana View Post
      You’re blowing through your kids college fund. Have fun.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      When my rides done I'll come meet you somewhere and let you experience what you will probably never experience ever again in a Golf R and I'll even bring my boy with how's that sound? Bet you'll be smiling!

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R with a blown motor lol
      09-12-2019 08:13 PM #165
      Quote Originally Posted by rickandshana View Post
      You’re blowing through your kids college fund. Have fun.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      And your blowing through wasted thoughts and feelings, if you wanna talk horsepower, engines, and cars I'm down

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R with a blown motor lol
      09-12-2019 08:15 PM #166
      Quote Originally Posted by o1turbo20v View Post
      Ahhh Vortex, dude tells us about his blown motor then gets flamed for "blowing through his kids college fund" and making poor decisions on his hobby.

      Jesus, OP have fun man, hope your new built engine can shoot flames and has a 2 step anti-lag, enjoy the build and enjoying spending your money however the hell you feel like it.
      Where can I get that stuff anyways?

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 10th, 2003
      Location
      Lodi, CA
      Posts
      1,178
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      09-12-2019 10:39 PM #167
      Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
      What if my kid doesn't go to college or doesn't need to go to college? Ferrari isn't my cup of tea. I'd still keep the R even if I had money for a Ferrari.

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      Fool can’t get paid in school. I hear you.

      What is your cup of tea? My R will be the last new car I purchase unless I can afford my ‘cup of tea”. A P1 would work.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Rick

    19. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 11th, 2018
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      194
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R with a blown motor lol
      09-13-2019 03:40 PM #168
      Quote Originally Posted by rickandshana View Post
      Fool can’t get paid in school. I hear you.

      What is your cup of tea? My R will be the last new car I purchase unless I can afford my ‘cup of tea”. A P1 would work.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My cup of tea is turning my Golf R with a blown motor into a rocket ship with my hard earned money because I can and because it won't affect my life my Golf R will not be the last new car purchase for me though either. The wife and I plan to get a new Tiguan next year and trade in her car. I will put the APR tune with a warranty on it probably lol. I will be the cool dad going to car shows with my son in the fully built Golf R , if the day ever comes and I do take a hit in it which I know I would then oh well. It's only money and it can always be replaced. Thanks for your opinions man but me and my family will be just fine and so will the R

      Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

    Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •