VWVortex.com - $400 SLC Build...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $400 SLC Build...

1. 03-10-2020 11:27 PM #51
      Spring is coming early so I'm planning to start working on this again in the coming weeks. I didn't bother heating the shop this winter so projects haven't been touched since October. This one should finally see pavement this spring.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
      Bumblebee Tuna

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-18-2020 09:10 AM #52
      Big day yesterday.

I was finally was able to find time to put a roller front end on the 92 GTI blocking the door in the garage. Rolled both cars out into the driveway and did a quick cleaning in the shop and returned with swapped parking positions.

The punch list on the Corrado is short before the first drive on the street. I need to finish lenses for the front still but will drive with a temp setup for the interim. Here's what's left today:

-Connect Shifter cables at trans
      -install Passenger axle
      -Glue on rear view mirror to windshield
      -t2s subframe bolts, lug nuts
      -bleed clutch and brakes
      -mount ecu in raintray
      -confirm fans run at temperature

https://youtu.be/kjX17fnz4OQ

Bumblebee Tuna

4. 05-19-2020 02:29 PM #53
      Shifter cables are connected now. I fought with the subframe bolts and couldn't get them to catch on the bumper bar nuts before the lunch break ran out. Will try a small pry bar through the peak hole in the bumper bar behind the turn signals to get the angles in agreement.

Bumblebee Tuna

5. 05-19-2020 05:20 PM #54
      This is hopefully worth sharing for other C owners. I ordered 2 cabin filter kits from das_classic_parts on the gram designed for Mk2. I rolled the dice hoping to use one for the Corrado and one for the GTI... Corrado is not specified but I figured it was going to be a toss up as the cabin screens are a match. Today was the day of reckoning as I mounted the ECU permanently...

It fits by taking a razor blade to the highest point on the plastic shoulder of the curved element on one side. About 1/4" has to come off the filter plastic, no damage to the paper element. A flat filter element (I guess they're available) would fit no problem. I paid $60 shipped ... And now I have a brand new cabin filter system.

Bumblebee Tuna

6. 05-22-2020 05:44 PM #55
      Getting there.

✓ - Connect Shifter cables at trans

✓ - install Passenger axle

-Glue on rear view mirror to windshield

-t2s subframe bolts, lug nuts

-bleed clutch and brakes

✓ - mount ecu in raintray

-confirm fans run at temperature

Maybe a short drive this weekend?

Bumblebee Tuna

7. Member
      05-23-2020 03:35 PM #56
      I have one of those cabin air filters as well. Unfortunately with my spoonfed rain tray the arced filter wouldnt work even after some trimming. I was lucky enough to find a flat topled filter online and it works perfectly.

Car looks good!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8. 05-29-2020 02:22 PM #57
      Nice, I'll probably go for the flat filter once this arched filter wears out. We have a lot of dirt roads here so the filter will be busy.

Another box checked:

The brakes are bled as is the clutch, however I can't check the box until the new clutch master cylinder arrives... as the clutch won't hold pressure. I'm fairly confident the seal failed from sitting on the shelf too long as there's small black bits(the seal) and red fluid from rust in the discharge at the slave. Tracking indicates Monday arrival on that part so just a week or so setback.

Bumblebee Tuna

9. 05-30-2020 11:19 PM #58
      The transmission I'm using is from the donor Jetta rather than original SLC. It's a CCM transmission that I pulled half buried from a sand dune at a junkyard in Tuscon back in 2007. At the time I was desperate for a transmission the same day after grenading my bell housing unexpectedly. It's surprisingly always worked well considering the source. I hadn't changed the fluid since I did that install so I figured now would be a good time while waiting on parts.

I've been using the Pennzoil synchromesh for more than a decade... It works wonders in these VW transmissions.

Bumblebee Tuna

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123