VWVortex.com - Crankshaft pulley bolts stuck!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Crankshaft pulley bolts stuck!

1. 08-10-2019 10:57 PM #1
      i started my timing belt job yesterday and got to the point where i had to remove the 6 Allen bolts on the crankshaft pulley. I tried and tried but ended out rounding out the first bolt that i tried to remove. I've tried many different techniques at this point but nothing seems to be even close to working.

Sprayed WD40 to hopefully help loosen them, then I tried the chisel and hammer method but it didn't work. Then I went out and bought an impact driver (the screwdriver version that you hammer), but I had no luck and ended up rounding it even more.
      I tried to use wedge a T40 in there instead of the hex and same result, the bolt just wont budge.
      I also went out and got the Irwin bolt extractor socket set but still nothing. the sockets are too wide to clear the small space between the Allen bolts and the big center 12pt socket.

I'm very stuck at this point, I don't need to preserve the bolt but i just need a way to get these out. I haven't even tried the other 5 bolts yet as I'm afraid of the same thing happening.
      Any help on this subject is greatly appreciated, I feel useless getting stuck on this part of the job that should be pretty straightforward, thanks for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-11-2019 11:33 AM #2
      Drill the head off the bolt. Use a larger bit than the bolt size. Once the head is off, the threaded portion will just unscrew by hand.

The trick with removing allen bolts is not to strip them. Once you do, you are screwed. Valve lapping compound, removing all the dirt inside the bolt, hammer the allen socket into the bolt, Torx [before it gets stripped], hammer the breaker bar while twisting the bolt [you need two people], are just a few tips. Again, once it strips your done.

4. 08-11-2019 12:33 PM #3
      clean out the centre of the bolts, spray with wd40 then hammer in an M8 (12 point) torx

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 08-14-2019 03:58 AM #4
      thank you guys for the advice, took me about 4 days total but i ended up getting them out by modifying a bolt extractor bit to fit over the bolt heads.

7. 08-14-2019 10:59 AM #5
      The alternative is to just remove the crank bolt. The pulley and timing belt pulley will come off together. It makes timing the engine a little harder but easier than drilling out those bolts.