VWVortex.com - Let's play "what would you rather buy for $60k, other than a C8 Corvette?"
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's play "what would you rather buy for $60k, other than a C8 Corvette?"

Vehicles
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 1991 Miata, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      08-12-2019 10:46 AM #51
      Alfa 4C is my current desire.

I'd also opt for a Camaro SS 1LE or GT350 but I tend to think the size of the Alfa is more what I'm after right now.
      Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      08-12-2019 11:20 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
      at this point the discussion starts to sound like wine people: you can get a bunch of people to agree one bottle is worth $500 while another is worth $5, but that doesn't mean anything to anyone other than that bunch of people.

The "so much more to a car" might have been a great discussion 30-40 years ago, but technology, engineering advances, materials advances, and--most importantly--government regulation have all come together to create cars that are all very very good AND very similar in so many ways.

What's left is pure perception and tribal membership.
      You could make the same argument with audio equipment, watches or purses too--there's definitely rapidly diminishing returns for these types of qualitative analyses as you go up the price ladder and I can't argue against that.

That said, I'm in a Nissan Sentra as a rental car right now. It is roomy, got me to my hotel comfortably, achieved 38 mpg, and probably sticker-ed under $20k--that's a great value on paper. If the qualitative stuff doesn't matter, then it shouldn't be possible for it to be a bad car. And yet--it's total garbage.

Is the C8 a Sentra? No, not even close. But looking at qualitative stuff is important too.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      08-12-2019 11:24 AM #53
      I also really don't think considering used cars is fair for the purposes of this thread. If used was a consideration, then it's the same question as any other thread since the dawn of time.

But new-to-new? It has been said again and again, there is absolutely nothing that comes close to comparing. Full stop.

If I had to pick something else though, definitely a GT350 or fully-kitted Mustang GT with maybe an S/C mod if there is enough money for that. You get 1) manual, 2) more accommodating/comfortable especially for bigger folks, 3) more practical, 4) better-looking if less polarizing, 5) likely easier to work on and cheaper to maintain as a package in the long run. Also, we can't say anything about the C8's reliability yet, but the Coyote is tried-and-true.

Or like, you know... the Camaro whatever equivalent... I guess.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      01 E46 325iT, 03 E39 M5, 18 F87 M2
      08-12-2019 11:37 AM #54
      New Supra
      C7 Z06
      GT350
      R8
      Alfa 4C

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      08-12-2019 11:38 AM #55
      There are cars I love, but they are either priced way over this, for significantly less performance (think 4C), or have similar performance numbers, but less hp, and are WAY more expensive, like the 718 GT4 Cayman.

Or, you could buy a Caterham with no engine for a similar price, and have to build it.

The new Corvette is a game changer, if they can finally shed the white New Balance and Jort crowd.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      08-12-2019 11:46 AM #56
      If we're limiting to new cars only, I can't really think of anything else I'd want more than a C8 for $60k (though the one I'd actually build is probably closer to $80k). For my fun cars, I only buy used though. Therefore, realistically I'd get a 997.2, V8 Vantage, Evora, or an R8 V8 for that money and not worry too much about depreciation.

Vehicles
      torque and no torque
      08-12-2019 12:24 PM #57
      Noble, Evora, 997.2, NSX

one of those.

New car? Maybe a 4C? But really a swanky new Volvo V90 T6 R-design.

Vehicles
      2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport
      08-12-2019 12:49 PM #58
      Oh, I never gave my "brand new" answer: Q60 Red Sport AWD.
      Next car desires subject to change... Perpetually.

Vehicles
      2019 Shelby GT350, 1988 Porsche 944 Turbo
      08-12-2019 12:55 PM #59
      I put my money where my mouth is. GT350 all the way.

IMG_5453 by Grant Walker, on Flickr

IMG_5452 by Grant Walker, on Flickr

IMG_5454 (1) by Grant Walker, on Flickr
      Last edited by G_RockNYTN; 08-12-2019 at 01:06 PM.
      We don't need a thread every time you decide to care about something.

11. 08-12-2019 12:56 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      You could make the same argument with audio equipment, watches or purses too--there's definitely rapidly diminishing returns for these types of qualitative analyses as you go up the price ladder and I can't argue against that.
      Yeah, audio equipment as well.

Although, even the hardiest of fanbois had to have winced when Denon brought out their $500 ethernet cable.

That said, I'm in a Nissan Sentra as a rental car right now. It is roomy, got me to my hotel comfortably, achieved 38 mpg, and probably sticker-ed under $20k--that's a great value on paper. If the qualitative stuff doesn't matter, then it shouldn't be possible for it to be a bad car. And yet--it's total garbage.

Is the C8 a Sentra? No, not even close. But looking at qualitative stuff is important too.
      Yeah, there's still room for that.

But a $60K C8 vs a $90K something else mid engine and two seats? $120K? My guess is, those are the audio and wine arguments all over again.
      Quote Originally Posted by seanmcd72
      You are like the new Nightshift1983 of this forum dude. Just keep your fingers off the keyboard unless you have something valuable to say

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      08-12-2019 12:58 PM #61
      New? I guess a 4C.

Used? Evora 400.

08-12-2019 02:13 PM #62
      lightly used Thruxton R

+

2016-2018 S6

Vehicles
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX
      08-12-2019 02:22 PM #63
      I need 4 doors, so my vote would be a 1 year old CTS-V.
      3.7 is fast enough to 60mph.

Vehicles
      '16 F150 5.0 S/C, '18 Honda Goldwing, '18 CX-5
      08-12-2019 04:09 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by newusername View Post
      GT350, I love mine so much i’d Do it all over again.
      GT350 is at the top of my short list!!
      '16 F150 5.0 S/C, '18 Honda Goldwing

16. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      08-12-2019 04:18 PM #65
      Giulia QF.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      08-12-2019 04:35 PM #66
      Unless I missed it, I think it's telling that no one(?) has said they'd snag a C7 corvette instead. Kinda shows how the C8 is appealing to a whole new demographic of potential buyers.

18. 08-12-2019 05:03 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      A Boxster GTS. It's the high water mark for this car and the past 2 BaT auctions have shown prices softening big time.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...e-boxster-gts/

We have similar tastes - I want a Model 3 to daily, as a Boxster for weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Sorry, a C8 is better than any Boxster.[/url]
      Objectively, the C8 is probably a better car, but subjectively, the Boxster is a much better car for ME. I simply prefer the smaller size, lighter weight, greater visibility, top down experience, and the manual transmission. The Corvette will destroy the Boxster on the 'ring, but I don't drive on the 'ring. I drive on deserted back roads as a way to decompress. 'Ring times don't matter here.

I actually hope that used base 718s fall in value a bit quicker now, as I actually prefer the raspy boxer-4 and all of it's glorious torque.
      2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, Absolutely Red/Black, 5spd
      2005 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Quartz, Sportshift
      2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat/Light Dune, Reserve +Technology
      2016 Fiat 500e, Electric Orange Tri-Coat Pearl/Black - I live life 84 miles at a time!

Vehicles
      '13 Volt, '05 330ci ZHP, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      08-12-2019 06:25 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by daSchtick View Post
      Objectively, the C8 is probably a better car, but subjectively, the Boxster is a much better car for ME. I simply prefer the smaller size, lighter weight, greater visibility, top down experience, and the manual transmission. The Corvette will destroy the Boxster on the 'ring, but I don't drive on the 'ring. I drive on deserted back roads as a way to decompress. 'Ring times don't matter here.
      I've driven slow cars fast and fast cars fast. and what I've found is... fast cars drive slow, too. But slow cars will have a point where you want to go a bit faster and that extra performance won't be there. It'd be one thing if they were not equal in price, but for the money, you get to go slowly with the top off AND go fast when you want to. if you're not going to be going flat out, then the "added lightness" and barely smaller size will not really enter into it, either as a car like the Corvette (or 488 or whatever) won't really be affected by the slightly added mass when driven at 5-6 10ths. I learn this from sport sedans that shouldn't be such willing backroad dance partners due to their size and weight (I'm talking E38 and E39 here), but they are and they feel smaller than cars that ARE smaller as those twisty backroad speeds start to get elevated.

The Corvette isn't going to be a high strung exotic that can't be driven comfortably at 5-6/10ths, like say, a Ferrari or Lamborghini might be. If you want to drive understressed with no top on a deserted backroad, it'll do that just as well. It's not an either/or proposition. The Boxster was fine at it's price point before, as if you wanted to go faster (or hell, just as fast) you had to spend considerably more. And for a while on the USED market, it's going to be a screaming deal still for what you get. But new vs new? It's simply limited in what it can accomplish vs the Corvette now.

Now, there are a lot of alternatives if you can't use a 2 seater car, but once you get to the format, 2 seat performance sports car, the Corvette is now pretty much in a class of one at it's price point and quite a bit above. If it can shake it's old guy image, it'll be about perfect.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

20. 08-12-2019 08:58 PM #69
      Again, I will not argue the performance merits of the new Corvette, as I am sure it will be the new performance benchmark in its class. In fact, I will even say the C8 is in an entirely different class than the Boxster.

However, again for ME personally, I prefer the Boxster. A manual transmission matters to me. Smaller dimensions matter to me. Lighter weight matters to me. My current mid-engine car weighs less than 2200 pounds, and I wish that the Boxster didn't weigh 750+ pounds more than my MR2. Do I really want another 400+ pounds above that in a C8? This is something that you may not notice, but I definitely do. In addition, the new C8 is also 10 inches longer, and whopping 5 inches wider than the Boxster. This is is exactly the opposite of what I am after. I prefer small, light, and nimble. Honestly, I really wish Porsche had come out with a baby Boxster, weighing around 2500 pounds, with a 250 hp mid-engine design. Or Toyota would come out with a modern MR2 with similar specs. I am just not a fan of larger sports cars. And as much as I respect their performance capabilities, I just don't desire to own one.
      2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, Absolutely Red/Black, 5spd
      2005 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Quartz, Sportshift
      2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat/Light Dune, Reserve +Technology
      2016 Fiat 500e, Electric Orange Tri-Coat Pearl/Black - I live life 84 miles at a time!

21. 08-13-2019 12:25 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
      Isn't the R34 importable under the Show and Display exemption? I don't think you have to store in Japan.
      R34 is specifically banned after the Motorex fraud. No way to import until it's 25 years old.

Vehicles
      e92, LS1 S30, mk2 GTi vr6
      08-13-2019 01:19 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      R34 is specifically banned after the Motorex fraud. No way to import until it's 25 years old.
      Theyre still out there though, last weekend I saw a beige one cruising on the highway to a C&C.

Maybe I am in the minority here but the C8 really does nothing for me. Its basically a non-luxury, non-manual version of the Audi R8. New car for $60k give me the Supra or M2 Comp; used car me a m3/m5/997C4s/996TT/E63 AMG wagon

23. 08-13-2019 01:50 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboREX View Post
      Theyre still out there though, last weekend I saw a beige one cruising on the highway to a C&C.

Maybe I am in the minority here but the C8 really does nothing for me. Its basically a non-luxury, non-manual version of the Audi R8. New car for $60k give me the Supra or M2 Comp; used car me a m3/m5/997C4s/996TT/E63 AMG wagon
      If you see an R34 in the States, it's either:
      1. Motorex import, so legal
      2. Canadian import, not legal here
      3. Illegally imported into the States, not legal

2 or 3 will get the car impounded and auctioned for sale out of the country

24. Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1961 Ferrari 250 GT California
      08-13-2019 02:10 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboREX View Post
      Maybe I am in the minority here but the C8 really does nothing for me. Its basically a non-luxury, non-manual version of the Audi R8.
      Given the historical GM build quality (which has, admittedly, improved considerably), and the type of layout and materials, I'd describe it as a Lotus Evora with an LS-swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Unless I missed it, I think it's telling that no one(?) has said they'd snag a C7 corvette instead. Kinda shows how the C8 is appealing to a whole new demographic of potential buyers.
      A couple have said it, but I agree that this new model has the attention of a lot more people now that it has the "ideal" MR drivetrain.

However, this whole conversation--fascinating, though it may be--still proves my long-held belief that there is no way to present the Corvette's superlatives without adding the qualifier: "for the price".
      I unbanned Patrikman.

I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

Then I got demoted.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      08-13-2019 03:25 PM #74
      Something that still had a back seat for the pup.
      Probably a Wrangler Rubicon.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

26. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      08-13-2019 05:17 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      However, this whole conversation--fascinating, though it may be--still proves my long-held belief that there is no way to present the Corvette's superlatives without adding the qualifier: "for the price".
      This is true. To be able to offer so much at that price, they must have had it in mind every step of the way. Not a bad thing, and it's going to sell like crazy, but you're right--ultimately it can be the best at everything for the price, but the absolute best is another story. I will be most interested to see if the C8 ZL1 can beat the current GT2RS though; I imagine it will, and if so, I think we may see a 992 GT2RS sooner rather than later, which is all around great for us car enthusiasts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast