VWVortex.com - Let's play "what would you rather buy for $60k, other than a C8 Corvette?"
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 76 to 100 of 101

    Thread: Let's play "what would you rather buy for $60k, other than a C8 Corvette?"

    1. Member Stangy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 15th, 2007
      Location
      Toronto Canada
      Posts
      1,791
      Vehicles
      Random Junk
      08-13-2019 06:29 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by JackJoachim View Post
      Brand new Off Road Premium 4Runner in Red, then take the extra 10-15k and buy a kswapped eg/ek Honda and maybe a trailer for track duty. Dreams.
      I love you.
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Cheapest way to 9s is to buy someone else's 8 second car, then drive it yourself.
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Elevation down two clicks, windage left two clicks. Send it.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2015
      Posts
      126
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1997 Jeep ZJ
      08-13-2019 07:43 PM #77
      JLU Rubicon

    4. Member JackJoachim's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2012
      Location
      Biloxi, MS
      Posts
      572
      08-14-2019 07:48 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Stangy View Post
      I love you.
      '16 Golf 5 speed - JB1, ST coilovers, Interlagos Reps, AutoTech Exhaust,

    5. Member silverxt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2006
      Location
      Chicago Burbs
      Posts
      404
      Vehicles
      2015 Chevy SS
      08-14-2019 08:39 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      However, this whole conversation--fascinating, though it may be--still proves my long-held belief that there is no way to present the Corvette's superlatives without adding the qualifier: "for the price".
      The “for the price” qualifier can work both ways though.

      “For the price”, the Cayman S gives you a fancy badge, less performance than a C8, and a glorious (LOL) 4 cylinder engine.

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 3rd, 2013
      Location
      Düsseldorf
      Posts
      2,547
      Vehicles
      997 GTS
      08-14-2019 10:55 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by col.mustard View Post


      This. Also perhaps another 997.2.

    7. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      26,285
      Blog Entries
      4
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      08-14-2019 11:05 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      This is true. To be able to offer so much at that price, they must have had it in mind every step of the way. Not a bad thing, and it's going to sell like crazy, but you're right--ultimately it can be the best at everything for the price, but the absolute best is another story. I will be most interested to see if the C8 ZL1 can beat the current GT2RS though; I imagine it will, and if so, I think we may see a 992 GT2RS sooner rather than later, which is all around great for us car enthusiasts.
      The thing is, the price puts it basically in a class of its own, with no direct peers. From a strictly performance numbers perspective, I'm far more interested in the likely forced induction versions of the c8. To me, that's where the mid engined layout will really come into its own. At that point, I might prefer the c8 to all competitors except perhaps a gt3 and only because of the available manual.

      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    8. 08-14-2019 11:56 AM #82
      Judging by the responses in this thread, there really isn't anything that can match the C8 in terms of performance, for the money, including used- excluding heavily modified cars. i.e. No stripped out APR Stage III RS3s with no interior.

      My gripe with the Corvette is that it feels big- it's actually not larger than a contemporary 911, but it doesn't feel that way. The 996/997 is about the perfect size of car for me. The Corvette isn't much larger, but because you sit behind that long hood, it feels like it's huge. The mid-engine layout of the C8 might fix that, but I don't think it's going to hide its bulk very well. 911s are good about feeling nimble and light, even though they're not that light.

      But subjective preferences aside, it's very hard to fault the C8- a 997 Turbo doesn't have the performance of the C8 and it's not exactly easy to find a clean 997 Turbo for $60-70k. 996 GT3s trade in this range or slightly more, that also doesn't have the performance of a C8. We're also talking about 10 year old (997 Turbo) or 15 year old (996 GT3) cars.

    9. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      1,548
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      08-14-2019 12:21 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
      Something that still had a back seat for the pup.
      Probably a Wrangler Rubicon.
      Quote Originally Posted by mitanokaseifu View Post
      JLU Rubicon
      These are gentlemen of fine taste.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    10. Member TurboREX's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 6th, 2006
      Location
      Fancy CT
      Posts
      5,217
      Vehicles
      e92, LS1 S30, mk2 GTi vr6
      08-14-2019 03:31 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      If you see an R34 in the States, it's either:
      1. Motorex import, so legal
      2. Canadian import, not legal here
      3. Illegally imported into the States, not legal

      2 or 3 will get the car impounded and auctioned for sale out of the country
      i think they are eligible for import as a show/display only vehicle as well

    11. Member E CODE's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 1st, 2005
      Location
      GTA, Ontario, Canada
      Posts
      11,239
      Vehicles
      B6 Passat Wagon
      08-14-2019 03:58 PM #85
      $60k USD?

      Loaded C63 AMG wagon... in Canada.
      VAGKRAFT | Red BBS RS for sale | Mk6 Part Out | Micro Can VagCom in the Toronto Area

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2nd, 2004
      Posts
      305
      Vehicles
      '18 Honda Accord 2.0 manual | '06 Ridgeline | '17 X3 35i
      08-15-2019 04:23 PM #86
      Keeping an eye on the falling C7 prices and may do something later in the year. Mine will be a manual!

      Who knows... maybe this will be the end of manual transmission Corvettes...?!

      Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 18th, 2018
      Posts
      3,949
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      08-15-2019 04:30 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      Judging by the responses in this thread, there really isn't anything that can match the C8 in terms of performance, for the money, including used- excluding heavily modified cars. i.e. No stripped out APR Stage III RS3s with no interior.

      My gripe with the Corvette is that it feels big- it's actually not larger than a contemporary 911, but it doesn't feel that way. The 996/997 is about the perfect size of car for me. The Corvette isn't much larger, but because you sit behind that long hood, it feels like it's huge. The mid-engine layout of the C8 might fix that, but I don't think it's going to hide its bulk very well. 911s are good about feeling nimble and light, even though they're not that light.

      But subjective preferences aside, it's very hard to fault the C8- a 997 Turbo doesn't have the performance of the C8 and it's not exactly easy to find a clean 997 Turbo for $60-70k. 996 GT3s trade in this range or slightly more, that also doesn't have the performance of a C8. We're also talking about 10 year old (997 Turbo) or 15 year old (996 GT3) cars.
      There has to be more to a sports car than its performance figures though

      It has to excite your senses and draw you in. Not saying this can't. But there are def some new and a lot of used cars that obviously aren't as fast, but just look better and have a 3rd pedal option. I mean it's not like a C7 GS or Evora 400 are slow.

    14. 08-16-2019 12:30 AM #88
      Nicest used cayman I could get for the $60k or a late first gen NSX. I’m sure the c8 will be a beast, but those two cars are fast enough for me, and hit all the right visceral inputs.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 9th, 2014
      Location
      Pittsburgh
      Posts
      659
      Vehicles
      C7 Corvette
      08-16-2019 08:05 AM #89
      owner of a plain ol' C7 Stingray here.

      Like others, I think Chevy hit it out of the park with the C8. At the same time though, I'm curious why most think the C8 is such a game changer.

      Honestly, I've never driven a rear or mid-engined car. Is the difference THAT noticeable? even on the street?

      I mean a C7 Z06 will do 0-60 in under 3 seconds, pull some crazy numbers on the skidpad, and dare I say look pretty mean as well. I think it's cool that there will be exotic-looking mid-engine cars on the street everywhere.... is the exotic LOOK the real draw?

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2017
      Location
      Saskatchewan
      Posts
      346
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      08-16-2019 09:37 AM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by g34343greg View Post
      Honestly, I've never driven a rear or mid-engined car. Is the difference THAT noticeable? even on the street?
      I've owned two mid engined cars, my current 2012 Cayman and a 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo back when I was young. What you get with an MR car is rotation, it's a cool feeling pitching the car into a 90 degree bend, feeling it get light, then rotating around you. Cornering grip might be a bit higher and full power corner exits are fun but it's the rotation feeling that sets them apart IMO. I've never driven a real super high performance car like the C8 so I'm not sure if that rotation feeling also exists in those kind of "next level" cars.

      This year I replaced the wheels/tires on my Cayman from the stock 17" size to the option S model 18" size that are 30mm wider front and rear and added much stickier tires (Conti Extreme Contact Sports). The car grips like crazy but now the "light rotation feel" has been diminished. I think the car might have been more fun on the street on the narrower tires, so perhaps the limits of the C8 will be so high that street drivers will never really experience the MR magic???

    17. 08-16-2019 09:49 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by g34343greg View Post
      owner of a plain ol' C7 Stingray here.

      Like others, I think Chevy hit it out of the park with the C8. At the same time though, I'm curious why most think the C8 is such a game changer.

      Honestly, I've never driven a rear or mid-engined car. Is the difference THAT noticeable? even on the street?

      I mean a C7 Z06 will do 0-60 in under 3 seconds, pull some crazy numbers on the skidpad, and dare I say look pretty mean as well. I think it's cool that there will be exotic-looking mid-engine cars on the street everywhere.... is the exotic LOOK the real draw?
      Yes and no.

      1 depends on the car.
      2. Sound of engine behind head really is nice exciting when you get on it.
      3. Steering feel is better, but heavier effort until at speed (at least on the MR’s I’ve driven).
      4. Moment of car is vastly different. Compare how a FF understeers into a turn vs FR car and the difference is about 2x that. Not saying it’s the same physics. I’m saying the difference in feel is this much. You don’t notice it until you become conscious of the car moving different in regards to power and turns.


      That being said, in my limited experience, most vette people (boomers) will boulevard cruise these things, so it wouldn’t matter where they put the engine, or how much power it makes. But the looks will certainly get some boomers off the fence and put one in the garage. Of course a solid minority of enthusiast buyers will buy them for performance. That is until there is newer competition, and then they will sell.

      GM will probably apply every electronic gizmo they can on these things to make it drive like a FR car, or make it completely neutral, there is no way they are setting these cars up like MR of the past. They will have lawsuits and be all over the news when people lift the gas at the wrong time or something, and spin out off the road and into the Golden Corral parking lot or something.


      C8, like the C5-7 will make great 5-10 year old used cars for enthusiasts, as their boomer first owners die off and leave pristine garaged examples, and no cranky cane waving boomers to yell “I know what I gots” demanding top dollar. You’ll be finding mint boomer owned C8’s with 5000 miles on them for 25 years. Boomers who buy these will figure out that they can’t get in or out of them, and they can’t handle the ride, and they will be too proud to sell it fearing that it would be indicating a bad financial decision. They won’t be able to resist buying them though because muh patriotism and muh it’s and investment, muh America is back MAGA, etc.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 26th, 2009
      Location
      Saint Paul, MN
      Posts
      2,752
      Vehicles
      B6 S4 Avant
      08-16-2019 10:17 AM #92
      If I have to stick to the spirit of this game and buy something new, I'd buy a Durango SRT. Plenty of power, but practicality for kids and home ownership needs ya know? Either that or a 4 door Jeep Wrangler with 3 pedals. Would be really difficult to make a decision between 3 pedals or a Hemi.
      Last edited by oidoglr; 08-16-2019 at 10:27 AM.

    19. Member Eye Candy White's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2006
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      789
      Vehicles
      07 GTI : 18 Atlas
      08-16-2019 10:24 AM #93
      RS3 in white. I need a nicer daily, and something that could easily be turned into a 10 second car; because I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

    20. 08-16-2019 01:19 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboREX View Post
      i think they are eligible for import as a show/display only vehicle as well
      No, the R34 is on the specifically banned list, so they are totally blacklisted until the 25 year rule exempts them.

    21. 08-16-2019 01:24 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      There has to be more to a sports car than its performance figures though

      It has to excite your senses and draw you in. Not saying this can't. But there are def some new and a lot of used cars that obviously aren't as fast, but just look better and have a 3rd pedal option. I mean it's not like a C7 GS or Evora 400 are slow.
      Once you get to Ferrari 458, McLaren 570, Porsche 991GT3, C7 Z06 levels of speed, the 3rd pedal really makes things difficult at the track. Things happen so quickly that it's actually hard to keep up with a stickshift, which is why these cars have all gone to dual clutch, paddle shifted gearboxes. (I know the C7 is an auto).

      Now if you're never, ever going to take the car to the track, then that really doesn't matter. You're going to jail if you exploit the limits of these cars on the street. (i.e. kill someone because you crashed into them doing 3-4x the speed limit)

      For purely street use, I'd go for a turnkey Flyin Miata ND LS3 conversion. 480hp in a 2500 lb. car? Yes.

    22. Member geofftii2002's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2001
      Location
      Saint Looouueeee.
      Posts
      14,835
      Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      08-16-2019 01:25 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      For 60K? A late Citroen DS, GMC Syclone and an old Acura TL. But for a single car the Corvette would be hard to beat.


      Non-troll answer-Cadillac ATS-V and pocket the extra 20K.


      Came to post one from my own inventory. I love this car and the joy will last a lot longer than that of a Corvette.

      https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6257-1...pallas-saloon/

      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

    23. Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      19,941
      Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      08-16-2019 01:41 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Came to post one from my own inventory. I love this car and the joy will last a lot longer than that of a Corvette.

      https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6257-1...pallas-saloon/
      Umm... thank/damn you for this rabbit hole. Your inventory and the write-ups are just great stuff!

    24. Member Kevin RS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2003
      Location
      Denver, CO
      Posts
      2,720
      Vehicles
      Some New and Old japanese cars and a Couple New and Old Fords
      08-16-2019 01:59 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Dieselstation View Post

      The only thing I can think of is a V8 Miata and that's about $60k.
      This ! i would buy a nd v8 miata from flyin miata. It's really the only thing i can even think of that i would want over the c8 vette.

      I imagine the nd v8 miata is more fun !

    25. Member geofftii2002's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2001
      Location
      Saint Looouueeee.
      Posts
      14,835
      Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      08-16-2019 02:01 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Umm... thank/damn you for this rabbit hole. Your inventory and the write-ups are just great stuff!
      You're most welcome.

      And thanks for the compliments on the writeups, too!
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

    26. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      1,548
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      08-16-2019 02:08 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Came to post one from my own inventory. I love this car and the joy will last a lot longer than that of a Corvette.

      https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6257-1...pallas-saloon/

      To reference another thread, THAT is the kind of classic car that would be awesome with an EV swap.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •