VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I Crazy? Golf R vs. Veloster N

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      09-15-2019 08:15 PM #76

Hyundai really did a great job to make an affordable track car "out of the box".

I really don't think this Hyundai will depreciate like other Hyundai.
      Last edited by Avus; 09-15-2019 at 08:34 PM.
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DSG, 2017 Miata RF GT, 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
      09-16-2019 09:26 AM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post

Hyundai really did a great job to make an affordable track car "out of the box".

I am not sure that I agree with you. Hyundai had $1,500 on the hood this summer for the Veloster N and they're doing subvented interest rates (0.99% for up to 36 months, 1.99% out to 84 months). Honda has absolutely no incentives on the Type-R.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      09-16-2019 10:03 AM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      I am not sure that I agree with you. Hyundai had $1,500 on the hood this summer for the Veloster N and they're doing subvented interest rates (0.99% for up to 36 months, 1.99% out to 84 months). Honda has absolutely no incentives on the Type-R.
      I think initial depreciation will be pretty steep for the reasons you mentioned. I think 10+ years out, if Biermann and crew can grow the brand and continue to deliver product that is the most fun in its segment you'll see them become sought after as the "first of" kind of vehicle.

For now it's "just another hyundai" and much like the genesis coupe, it'll probably be relegated to the 2nd or 3rd tier when it comes to enthusiast recommendations for used recommendations down the road.

That's just one dude's opinion though, and I still think new vs new at current transaction prices it's the one to beat in the hot hatch segment (don't forget about that warranty!)

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '91 E30, '91 Volvo 740, '19 STi, '19 Rebel
      09-16-2019 10:42 AM #79

Value is perspective, but Hyundai Canada doesn't have high confidence of it's residual, 3 year lease residual is only 38% for the N, yikes.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2019 10:50 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by downytide View Post
      Value is perspective, but Hyundai Canada doesn't have high confidence of it's residual, 3 year lease residual is only 38% for the N, yikes.
      Realistically, it's a hotter Golf GTI, which already has poor resale value, from an unproven company. Of course the resale is going to be not great.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2019 01:50 PM #81
      Realistically, it's a hotter Golf GTI, which already has poor resale value, from an unproven company. Of course the resale is going to be not great.
      I think the issue also has to do with them trying to sell the same for less, but then there are some against the trend, like Kia Soul, their trade-in value is always 10-20% higher than residual.

It also doesn't help that the Veloster N price in Canada is within 2-3k of CTR, hard sell.

8. 09-16-2019 02:02 PM #82
      For what it's worth, dealers around me in Omaha, Nebraska, are still acting like it just released. They aren't budging off of MSRP, and one dealer won't even allow test drives unless you commit to buy. The dealer where I was able to test drive has a $2,500 ceramic coating added on.. As such, I'm planning on waiting until Spring to make a decision, and I'll probably end up going with the safe choice in a Golf R.

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      09-17-2019 10:20 AM #83

I think the issue also has to do with them trying to sell the same for less, but then there are some against the trend, like Kia Soul, their trade-in value is always 10-20% higher than residual.

It also doesn't help that the Veloster N price in Canada is within 2-3k of CTR, hard sell.
      Yeah, I don't have high hopes for it holding it's value -- but it is a nice thought. I got ahead of the curve by putting a large chunk down and getting a solid deal on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Antimatter View Post
      For what it's worth, dealers around me in Omaha, Nebraska, are still acting like it just released. They aren't budging off of MSRP, and one dealer won't even allow test drives unless you commit to buy. The dealer where I was able to test drive has a $2,500 ceramic coating added on.. As such, I'm planning on waiting until Spring to make a decision, and I'll probably end up going with the safe choice in a Golf R.
      Yeah, some dealers have been crazy about them. What I found interesting is the amount of non-PP cars that were around, the dealer I test drove at was desperate to move the two non-PP cars they had on the lot. It took some time and haggling with two dealers but I was able to get them to come down pretty substantially on the price of the car.

I think I'm going to turn this into my build/fun thread for this car:

Got tint, PPF, and ceramic applied:

Going to start looking into brake fluid and 18x7 wheel/tire combo that I like for autox and trackdays. Doing the first autocross with it in September.

Got through the break-in period the other day:

Last edited by QUIRKiT; 09-17-2019 at 10:24 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      09-17-2019 10:36 AM #84
      Congrats, that's a sharp looking car, Advan GT would look nice on there.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      09-17-2019 10:41 AM #85
      Beautiful. I know white was your first choice, but I love the blue with red accents. If I could change one thing, it would be to replace the pseudo-AMG wheels with something that is pure gunmetal in colour, but that's just my personal preferences.

12. 09-17-2019 12:20 PM #86
      Congrats!
      All the magazines seem to be in love with it
      Would totally daily one
      Last edited by GarageBoy; 09-27-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      09-18-2019 10:20 AM #87
      Congrats, that's a sharp looking car, Advan GT would look nice on there.
      They would but sadly don't come in the width to keep it within DS class for SCCA. I'll have to stick with 18x7 in order to not go up a class -- but I'm open to wheel recommendations for sure.

EDIT: I don't know why I had it in my head that the stock wheels for the PP were 19x7, but they're 19x8 which means I can run an 18x8.

Beautiful. I know white was your first choice, but I love the blue with red accents. If I could change one thing, it would be to replace the pseudo-AMG wheels with something that is pure gunmetal in colour, but that's just my personal preferences.
      I'm leaning gun metal or black currently, just looks right with the blue.
      Last edited by QUIRKiT; 09-18-2019 at 10:32 AM.

14. 09-18-2019 02:12 PM #88
      DS is a tough class for VN, but I'm glad it didn't end up in GS.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      09-18-2019 05:27 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Silver_arrow12! View Post
      DS is a tough class for VN, but I'm glad it didn't end up in GS.

It's supposedly doing really well and is very competitive in DS with the right setup.

Looking at this tire/wheel package:

Trying to come up with a decent setup without breaking the bank, these will only be used for autox/track days.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2020 Toyota 86
      09-18-2019 05:38 PM #90
      Is that the stock tire diameter? I thought they run 25" tires stock.

17. 09-18-2019 07:38 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      It's supposedly doing really well and is very competitive in DS with the right setup.

Looking at this tire/wheel package:

Trying to come up with a decent setup without breaking the bank, these will only be used for autox/track days.
      I like your optimism, but that's a tough field with the CTR and RS. Keep us updated.

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      09-19-2019 11:21 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      Is that the stock tire diameter? I thought they run 25" tires stock.
      25.5" is stock diameter for cars with the performance pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_arrow12! View Post
      I like your optimism, but that's a tough field with the CTR and RS. Keep us updated.

The good thing is VN owners can pull what GT86 owners can with the soon to be coming factory performance parts.

Also, after messing around with wheels on Forza I'm leaning towards these now:

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      09-30-2019 10:08 AM #93
      This car is a freaking blast! I don't even know why I was concerned about the interior materials, while everything is hard plastic I don't even care -- not once since I've owned it have I even considered the materials used. The overall fit is well done it just uses cheap materials and I am totally ok with that now.

Over the weekend I changed oil to 5w40(factory fill was 0w20 blend!), did a tech inspection, and swapped out the shifter bushings to Boomba Racing aluminum bushings. The bushings significantly improved the feel of the shifter and well worth the purchase price.

Also picked up a new helmet for the cars first HPDE this coming weekend, I'm ready to go vroom vroom!

Vehicles
      2017 GTI Sport 6MT
      10-01-2019 05:52 PM #94
      This car definitely has my attention. Got to find some time to test drive one.

21. 10-01-2019 07:41 PM #95
      I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I'll be watching used prices in a few years and maybe pick one up as a pure track toy.

I'm not keen on going to crazy with the Rabbit edition.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Fiesta ST, 1991 Honda Beat, 1988 Honda VTR 250
      10-01-2019 07:56 PM #96
      This car is a freaking blast! I don't even know why I was concerned about the interior materials, while everything is hard plastic I don't even care -- not once since I've owned it have I even considered the materials used. The overall fit is well done it just uses cheap materials and I am totally ok with that now.

Over the weekend I changed oil to 5w40(factory fill was 0w20 blend!), did a tech inspection, and swapped out the shifter bushings to Boomba Racing aluminum bushings. The bushings significantly improved the feel of the shifter and well worth the purchase price.

Also picked up a new helmet for the cars first HPDE this coming weekend, I'm ready to go vroom vroom!
      [awesome photo]
      Hell yes give it large. Someone brought one with a temp tag to our last autox weekend. It sounded rad and beat all us other FWD droids, even getting us in PAX. No one critiqued its interior materials, oddly enough
      I said, Rock, what's a matter with you rock?

Vehicles
      Miata RF, JKU, Cabriolet
      10-01-2019 10:36 PM #97
      There are currently 2 for sale within 400 miles from me, so they are either selling well, or dealers are afraid to touch them for fear the space on the lot would be better served with a CUV.

24. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      10-01-2019 11:26 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      There are currently 2 for sale within 400 miles from me, so they are either selling well, or dealers are afraid to touch them for fear the space on the lot would be better served with a CUV.
      I was at the dealership looking at the Ioniq the other day and they had 3 outside and 1 inside. The 3 outside were all sold.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

25. Member
      Vehicles
      1966 Corvair | 2010 Mazda5 | 2002 Chevy 2500HD | 2017 Locost 7 | Many Subarus
      10-02-2019 07:18 AM #99
      Nice pickup!

If you're only using the wheels/tires for Autox, could you skip the TPMS all together? You have time between runs to check and adjust pressure by hand and it looks like it would save some $$ if that's a priority.
      Quote Originally Posted by sosumi on the B6 S4 V8
      It sounds like a giant shotgun and then like a bunch of ground up Yugo's in a cement mixer followed by weeks of silence interspersed by wails from the owner.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      10-02-2019 08:04 AM #100
      Konig's Flow Formed wheels are similarly priced and a hair lighter:

https://konigwheels.com/wheels/flow-formed-wheels/

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast