VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I Crazy? Golf R vs. Veloster N

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      10-02-2019 11:09 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Rattle View Post
      Hell yes give it large. Someone brought one with a temp tag to our last autox weekend. It sounded rad and beat all us other FWD droids, even getting us in PAX. No one critiqued its interior materials, oddly enough
      It was a concern of mine, I've spoiled myself the last couple of years with cars that have had all the features. Interior-wise the finish is definitely a step-down from previous vehicles, but the car makes up for that in every other way. I'm looking forward to taking it to autox, it seems to be doing really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      There are currently 2 for sale within 400 miles from me, so they are either selling well, or dealers are afraid to touch them for fear the space on the lot would be better served with a CUV.
      They're super hard to find with the performance pack, which is the only way to get one IMO. I had to drive almost 400 miles to get mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenB View Post
      Nice pickup!

If you're only using the wheels/tires for Autox, could you skip the TPMS all together? You have time between runs to check and adjust pressure by hand and it looks like it would save some $$ if that's a priority.
      I'll be skipping TPMS for the autox wheels, no need for them and like you said, saves me a little coin.

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Konig's Flow Formed wheels are similarly priced and a hair lighter:

https://konigwheels.com/wheels/flow-formed-wheels/
      Sadly, there's only one wheel that is 18x8 and it has an offset of 45, which is outside the range of what's allowed by the SCCA for street class. Stock wheels are et55, which means I can go to et48 or et62.

Right now I'm leaning towards OZ Alleggerita HLT, perfect offset and only 17lbs!
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      10-02-2019 12:04 PM #102
      I just noticed your sig

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      10-07-2019 01:02 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I just noticed your sig
      heh. I can't even remember what thread that was from now, but it continues to ring true to this day!

Weekend of driving was a success! Even though it was an HPDE and it's not about winning, it feels nice to catch up to and get the pass from cars that cost 2-3x as much. Obviously, at that point it's down to the driver, but it still feels nice to pass BMW M cars, Porsches, and Nissan 370z's.

The track:

Morning of:

Lining up at the grid:

View from the clubhouse:

The red run group coming around Big Bend:

https://i.imgur.com/1BFFju7.mp4

Things I learned this weekend:
      - This car has a lot more than I do as a driver, right now.
      - This car is an absolute corner monster.
      - People go off track a lot more than I would have thought for an HPDE
      - The mount I bought for my phone to record all of this sucks and I need a new one.

Here's a crappy video (seriously, if you get motion sickness easily DO NOT WATCH):

Anyone have any recommendations for a better mount? I'd love to figure out something that gives me a view of not only the track, but also my hands, and isn't violently shaky.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      10-07-2019 01:43 PM #104
      - People go off track a lot more than I would have thought for an HPDE
      friend of mine was out at MSR in his m4 this past weekend, dunno if he was in your run group or not. he was also on some super old tires so if you saw an F82 going off track a whole bunch... that's him =D

Yeah, MSR is so open that I guess people feel okay putting a wheel (or more) out.

glad you had fun!

6. 10-07-2019 02:16 PM #105
      I use this mount with a go pro.

Headrest Mount for GoPro - Tackform DrivePro Best Car Mount for GoPro for Recording Racing Video [SUPER RIGID DESIGN] No Shake, No Rattle, Works with ALL GoPro Versions and ALL Action Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XIB6SK4..._sb4MDb0TXZ9VS

https://youtu.be/2q6KhnqUb2s

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      10-07-2019 03:06 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      friend of mine was out at MSR in his m4 this past weekend, dunno if he was in your run group or not. he was also on some super old tires so if you saw an F82 going off track a whole bunch... that's him =D

Yeah, MSR is so open that I guess people feel okay putting a wheel (or more) out.

glad you had fun!
      There were two M4's in my run group, one black and one grey -- I was in the green group. Wonder if he was the M4 I kept rushing up on and struggling to get him to give me the pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_arrow12! View Post
      I use this mount with a go pro.

Headrest Mount for GoPro - Tackform DrivePro Best Car Mount for GoPro for Recording Racing Video [SUPER RIGID DESIGN] No Shake, No Rattle, Works with ALL GoPro Versions and ALL Action Cameras https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XIB6SK4..._sb4MDb0TXZ9VS

https://youtu.be/2q6KhnqUb2s

I have a hero session that I could probably use for this, I'll have to check this out for the next track day. Thanks!

8. 10-12-2019 10:34 PM #107
      Drove home next to a red N in traffic the other day. Wow, do they sound good. Looked pretty good in red too. We talked at a light, he's been tracking it out of the box and loves it. At 20 I would have bought over the GTI. At 50, I'm cool with the GTI being a little soft. N is a cool little car though.

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      10-15-2019 01:38 PM #108
      Action shots!

All weekend long, this Vette (if he started behind me) would catch up on the straight bits and then disappear in the turns:

Ended up ordering Enkei TS10's and Falken Azenis rt615k+, should be here this Friday. I don't think they'll be the prettiest set of wheels on the car, but all I care about for those is weight since they will be used exclusively on track/autox.

10. 10-15-2019 05:22 PM #109
      Great to see that you're enjoying your new ride!

I'll check back to read about the continuing updates

11. 10-15-2019 07:07 PM #110
      Nice! The N really kicked ass during this year's C&D lightning lap.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      10-15-2019 07:14 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      Ended up ordering Enkei TS10's and Falken Azenis rt615k+, should be here this Friday. I don't think they'll be the prettiest set of wheels on the car, but all I care about for those is weight since they will be used exclusively on track/autox.
      Love that you got an N. Hyundai is bringing cool cars. I even wanted an Elantra Sport 6 speed, but they're all about to be discontinued. The TS10s aren't bad looking wheels honestly either.

13. 10-15-2019 07:24 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      It was seriously fast.

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      10-16-2019 10:08 AM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      It was seriously fast.

I was very surprised where it finished at and think that it's in good company, especially considering the price.

Quote Originally Posted by got-rice View Post
      Love that you got an N. Hyundai is bringing cool cars. I even wanted an Elantra Sport 6 speed, but they're all about to be discontinued. The TS10s aren't bad looking wheels honestly either.
      They're not bad looking wheels, I just think they'll look a little odd on the VN but that wasn't my main goal. Should lose almost 15lbs rotational mass per corner with this setup.

15. 10-16-2019 02:11 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by Spike Ti View Post
      The Type R >* Once you drive one you won’t care how it looks.

Not my car (@Weaksauce)

I've never driven one but I read somewhere that even Stevie Wonder said it was ugly.

Vehicles
      Civic Type R & RSV4 RR
      10-16-2019 02:56 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by bfielder32087 View Post
      I've never driven one but I read somewhere that even Stevie Wonder said it was ugly.
      I wonder if Stevie ever drove one.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      10-16-2019 04:33 PM #116
      heh. I can't even remember what thread that was from now, but it continues to ring true to this day!

Weekend of driving was a success! Even though it was an HPDE and it's not about winning, it feels nice to catch up to and get the pass from cars that cost 2-3x as much. Obviously, at that point it's down to the driver, but it still feels nice to pass BMW M cars, Porsches, and Nissan 370z's.
      So what do you want to do to it now that you've pushed it on the track? In addition to improving the skills of the guy behind the wheel. I'm really happy to hear you had fun with it. What kind of coolant and oil temps were you running? Does the car come with an oil cooler?

The type r may be a better stock car on the track, but some of us enjoy the process of making a car faster through aftermarket mods. Then again, it sound like the N is plenty capable stock, so perhaps it doesn't need much for an average hpde attendee. This would definitely be on my list if i totalled the corrado. Frankly, I should probably just sell that car and get one of these.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      10-17-2019 10:27 AM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by bfielder32087 View Post
      Every time I see one on the road I'm glad I didn't go that route. The gray makes the car somewhat alright to look at, but it really is ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      So what do you want to do to it now that you've pushed it on the track? In addition to improving the skills of the guy behind the wheel. I'm really happy to hear you had fun with it. What kind of coolant and oil temps were you running? Does the car come with an oil cooler?

The type r may be a better stock car on the track, but some of us enjoy the process of making a car faster through aftermarket mods. Then again, it sound like the N is plenty capable stock, so perhaps it doesn't need much for an average hpde attendee. This would definitely be on my list if i totalled the corrado. Frankly, I should probably just sell that car and get one of these.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Coolant and ois temps stayed pretty normal for a track day, the car does come equipped with an oil cooler stock. Other than the set of wheels/tires, my plans right now are camber bolts to get more negative camber, bigger FMIC*, rear sway bar, and stainless lines.

*The IATs were pretty high for a 95F track day, problem with doing this is it kicks me out of the street class in SCCA. Right now, I'm debating on whether or not I actually want to try to be competitive in SCCA or just go have fun. Trying to decide if sticking in street class is worth all the headache of seeing cool new aftermarket stuff and realizing I can't do it, basically.

Prototype of the FMIC I'll probably go with, it's almost 3x larger than stock -- they were test fitting it yesterday, which is why there is plastic on the end that is 3D printed but the FMIC will be all aluminum:

The track I'm (hopefully) doing at the end of November has been undergoing remodel for the last few months, but right now it's looking like they'll be ready for the HPDE in November. 2.75mi, 400ft elevation changes, all new asphalt and curbs:
      Last edited by QUIRKiT; 10-17-2019 at 10:39 AM.

19. 10-17-2019 11:50 AM #118
      Camber bolts, unless a factory crash bolt and approved in the repair manual, puts you out of street, but IIRC, Hyundai did that with the Genesis coupe and it was legal, so might be alright.

Anyway, prep for STH class. That'll gives you the best balance of being competive for autocross and fantastic on track.

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      10-17-2019 05:05 PM #119
      Camber bolts, unless a factory crash bolt and approved in the repair manual, puts you out of street, but IIRC, Hyundai did that with the Genesis coupe and it was legal, so might be alright.

Anyway, prep for STH class. That'll gives you the best balance of being competive for autocross and fantastic on track.

STH isn't a bad idea but I can't seem to find any info on it, there are a bunch of forum posts referencing it's creation in 2017 but nothing about it in SCCA classing.

STX might just be my best bet of balancing fun and being competitive for autox and track days. I considered TA but I feel like that's a true rabbit hole.

21. 10-17-2019 08:53 PM #120
      STH is under ST rules. I'll have to check to see if the N is eligible for STH or if it's classed in STX. STH allows bigger stock placement IC and boost, but STX doesn't.

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      10-20-2019 08:42 PM #121
      STH is under ST rules. I'll have to check to see if the N is eligible for STH or if it's classed in STX. STH allows bigger stock placement IC and boost, but STX doesn't.

I really can't find anything on STH other than when it was talked about being created, my local region doesn't even list it in the latest classing they have for autox and TT. Then again, SCCA doesn't exactly make it easy to figure out classing or make the information easy to find.

Tested out the new wheels and tires, 7.5lb difference between the Enkei's and stock wheels. You can definitely feel the weight loss while braking and initial turn in and the Falken Azenis tires feel pretty nice when warmed up. Installed aluminum shifter base bushings and aluminum transmission bracket bushings, definitely makes the shifter a little less numb and dough-y, it wasn't bad before but it wasn't great as well. Definitely more schnick-schnick in the gear changes now, which is nice.

I'm...satisfied with how the wheels look but that wasn't the point of them anyway. I think I would have liked these wheels in white to give a nice touch, but they still look alright in black and again, their looks weren't the point.

I'll be installing the SXTH Element catch can this coming weekend, then I need to really start thinking about classing and what I want to aim to be in next year -- that will determine what kind of modding fun I can have this offseason.

23. 10-20-2019 09:24 PM #122
      STH is just ST for hatches that allows a couple more mods than other ST classes, notably, intercooler and boost.

I looked and I don't see the N allowed in STH, but I haven't looked through all the fast tracks.

There's also talk of expanding STH's allowances to all of ST.

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      10-22-2019 10:29 AM #123
      STH is just ST for hatches that allows a couple more mods than other ST classes, notably, intercooler and boost.

I looked and I don't see the N allowed in STH, but I haven't looked through all the fast tracks.

There's also talk of expanding STH's allowances to all of ST.

Thanks. You also just made me realize I haven't received my copy of fast track in a while. :/

25. 10-22-2019 02:17 PM #124
      Thanks. You also just made me realize I haven't received my copy of fast track in a while. :/
      Lucky you. Lol

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      11-05-2019 03:14 PM #125
      First autocross event with the car and my first "real" autocross event in general -- and we did alright. Finished 4th in Novice class and 3rd in DS, which I'm happy with considering it was my first time doing a cones based course for competition. Car did great, new tire/wheel setup was awesome, and had a lot of fun.

Loaded up:

At the line:

In-car video, this time without the shakiness:

I definitely could have got another second or two out of the car if I had a few more runs, but such is autocross.

This was also a charity event for the Guns N' Hoses foundation, one of the ways to donate was you could buy back any cones you knocked over. Pretty cool concept and we ended up raising a lot of money for the organization, but because of it a couple local PD and FD guys were there running police Tahoes, Challengers, and Impalas.

Video here:
      https://i.imgur.com/wtNmj78.mp4

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast