VWVortex.com - Move over X3M, 2020 Lincoln Aviator PHEV has 'almost' 500 horsepower...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Move over X3M, 2020 Lincoln Aviator PHEV has 'almost' 500 horsepower...

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      08-12-2019 02:40 PM #1

There’s much to love about the new Lincoln Aviator. The suave SUV soared into the scene late November at the 2018 Los Angeles Auto Show, and its elegant demeanor both inside and out seriously grabbed our attention. We couldn’t wait to drive it, and after nine months of patience, our man Brandon Turkus is in the process of doing that right now. However, before even setting foot in the Aviator he was greeted with a pleasant surprise. Lincoln has revised the SUV’s power output upward, and as you can see in the headline, it’s a rather significant change for the hybrid.

When Lincoln unveiled the Aviator, it was listed as offering 450 horsepower (336 kilowatts) in Grand Touring guise with the optional hybrid powertrain, pairing the SUV’s 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 with electric power. Technically speaking, it was “projected” to hit that figure, but with all the testing and certification compete, it’s quite clear that Lincoln was airing heavily on the side of caution. With a combined output of 494 hp (368 kW), the Aviator PHEV is one of the more powerful people movers available in the midsize luxury SUV segment.

The hybrid model isn’t the only Aviator to see a power bump. The standard version also runs the twin-turbo six-pot that dishes up 400 hp (298 kw) on its own. That figure hasn’t changed, however, the torque rating of 415 pound-feet (563 Newton-meters) is up slightly from the 400 lb-ft (542 Nm) estimate we were told in November.

What does this mean for the Aviator’s performance? Such figures were not offered at the SUV’s LA debut, estimates or otherwise. With almost 500 hp on tap, however, the hybrid could well be a proper stoplight sleeper with the ability to embarrass some muscular performance machines. We’re sampling the Aviator right now on a first drive event, and we can’t wait to share all the cool details on this hot rod Lincoln. Look for that Motor1.com feature coming soon.
      http://https://www.motor1.com/news/3...hybrid-500-hp/
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

08-12-2019 03:01 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Motor 1
      Lincoln was airing
      I get that nobody has an editor anymore, but the irony of erring while speaking of erring is just a facepalm moment to me.

Anyway, I think this has a good chance of competing against the Germans now. It's a RWD biased vehicle, looks good, appears to have a high quality interior, and is available with plenty of power now.
      Last edited by AZGolf; 08-12-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Vehicles
      08-12-2019 03:03 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I get that nobody has an editor anymore, but the irony of erring while speaking of erring is just a facepalm moment to me.

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      08-12-2019 04:22 PM #4
      Lincoln just whips up something that genuinely takes on the finest marques while Cadillac just....just does whatever it is they're doing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Vehicles
      08-12-2019 04:24 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      Lincoln just whips up something that genuinely takes on the finest marques while Cadillac just....just does whatever it is they're doing.
      I'm sure you're referring to this fiasco.

7. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      08-12-2019 04:29 PM #6
      That Cadillac is just... What a phoned-in effort.

The Aviator will be pricey, I'm sure, but depending on how it drives (lots of HP and torks do not = a great driver), it could be a real competitor to Lexus and the European makes.

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      08-12-2019 04:35 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post

Ooooh you caught my XT6 shade

Seriously, the new Escalade had better be good...
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      08-12-2019 04:52 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post

My local Cadillac dealership has a few on display now.
      It’s a fine and athletic looking car in person.
      Cadillac just has a history of over-styling things.
      When they dial back the styling, as with the CT6 and XT6, it’s just a much different, but not bad aesthetic.

08-12-2019 04:54 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      My local Cadillac dealership has a few on display now.
      It’s a fine and athletic looking car in person.
      Cadillac just has a history of over-styling things.
      When they dial back the styling, as with the CT6 and XT6, it’s just a much different, but not bad aesthetic.
      I agree the styling is fine. It just failed to bring anything to the segment. It will sell fine but does nothing for the brand.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      08-12-2019 04:55 PM #10
      Something is wrong with your link. It is taking me to homeimprovement.com. It should be: https://www.motor1.com/news/364706/l...hybrid-500-hp/

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      08-12-2019 04:55 PM #11
      Really don't know FTW GM is doing... this SUV look better than any SUV GM are currently offering... So many brands but none look better...

“I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      08-12-2019 04:55 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      I still give Caddy much respect for still selling RWD sedans with V8 engines and some with manual transmissions.

Can’t we root for both Lincoln and Caddy? 🤷🏾
      Last edited by whitejeep1989; 08-12-2019 at 04:58 PM.

14. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      08-12-2019 05:06 PM #13
      Can’t we root for both Lincoln and Caddy? 🤷🏾
      I love the CT6 and ATS-V/CTS-V. I just don't understand how GM could under-invest in this critical segment of the CUV market. It's nowhere near the class leaders.

Vehicles
      08-12-2019 05:12 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      I love the CT6 and ATS-V/CTS-V. I just don't understand how GM could under-invest in this critical segment of the CUV market. It's nowhere near the class leaders.
      I think XT6 suits its buyers just fine. I was just kiddin'.

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      08-12-2019 05:18 PM #15
      I still give Caddy much respect for still selling RWD sedans with V8 engines and some with manual transmissions.
      I'm totally right there with ya

It's just shocking to see Lincoln come out with guns blazing like this all of a sudden, dropping a product that appears so right in every way.

08-12-2019 05:20 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      I agree the styling is fine. It just failed to bring anything to the segment. It will sell fine but does nothing for the brand.
      The lack of any kind of performance engine in the XT6 is pretty significant for sure. While Ford is touting the RWD dynamics and up to 450, now close to 500 horsepower with Earth-moving turbo torque, the Cadillac is getting by with the rental car spec Camaro V6 struggling to move a 5000 pound SUV with the power going to the front wheels by default. For a lot of buyers that really is still fine because they'll never push the gas pedal down more than a third of the way but for the rest, the lack of an optional motor such as Cadillac's 3.0T is a huge omission.
      Last edited by AZGolf; 08-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      08-12-2019 05:34 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      The lack of any kind of performance engine in the XT6 is pretty significant for sure. While Ford is touting the RWD dynamics and up to 450, now close to 500 horsepower with Earth-moving turbo torque, the Cadillac is getting by with the rental car spec Camaro V6 struggling to move a 5000 pound SUV. For a lot of buyers that really is still fine because they'll never push the gas pedal down more than a third of the way but for the rest, the lack of an optional motor such as Cadillac's 3.0T is a huge omission.
      From purely the perspective of prestige, I think Cadillac would do well to make the 3.0T available, also in the XT4-V in my opinion.

But the reality of the 3.0T engine never making an appearance in a FWD platform leaves me feeling much less optimistic.

Vehicles
      08-12-2019 05:37 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Something is wrong with your link. It is taking me to homeimprovement.com. It should be: https://www.motor1.com/news/364706/l...hybrid-500-hp/
      He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaack

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      08-12-2019 06:07 PM #19
      I'm usually not a fan of Lincoln, and SUVs, but hot damn is that nice. Good job Lincoln.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Vehicles
      392+485=LOL
      08-12-2019 06:29 PM #20
      Hmmm... I wonder if this thing represents the money FCA is leaving on the table w/re to wealthy JGC buyers. Does anyone have any idea on pricing?
      Quote Originally Posted by Col. David Crockett
      I told the people of my district, that, if they saw fit to re-elect me, I would serve them as faithfully as I had done; but, if not, they might go to Hell, and I would go to Texas.

Vehicles
      87 BMW God's Chariot, 16 VW Sorority Special
      08-12-2019 06:59 PM #21
      Damn.

This makes me wish I had the need for a 3-row SUV.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      08-12-2019 07:57 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      The Aviator will be pricey, I'm sure, but depending on how it drives (lots of HP and torks do not = a great driver), it could be a real competitor to Lexus and the European makes.
      I've test-driven two 2020 Explorers, a Limited with the 2.3-liter and a ST. They drive really effing great; I actually prefer the lightness of the 2.3, although the ST makes easy power.

If the Aviator platform-mate drives similarly, they've got a great driver on their hands.

Tom

24. Junior Member
      08-12-2019 08:40 PM #23
      The Aviator is likely going to sell quite well, compared to Lincoln sedans at least. I'd really love to see the PHEV drivetrain dropped into a Ranger or F150. Maybe in the next generation trucks? Cheap to do the daily commute on electric, extra torque for towing, etc.

08-13-2019 01:07 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hmmm... I wonder if this thing represents the money FCA is leaving on the table w/re to wealthy JGC buyers.
      Well they have the Durango over on the Dodge side as far as having expensive 3-row SUV covered, and they have the Trailcat Grand Cherokee as far as expensive ridiculously high horsepower SUVs are concerned, albeit 2-row, but I think the Grand Wagoneer is their answer in terms of a Jeep badged vehicle that might be considered competition in the 3-row luxury SUV space. It just isn't out yet, with expectations for a 2022 launch.

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      08-13-2019 08:48 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post
      Damn.

This makes me wish I had the need for a 3-row SUV.
      I’m staying tuned for the PHEV Corsair.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast