VWVortex.com - Can anyone explain "CUV" to me?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone explain "CUV" to me?

Hybrid View

1. 08-12-2019 05:17 PM #1
      Crossover *what*? Crossing over from what to what?

Reminds me of R&T on the 1984 'Vette and its CrossFire fuel injection: "Look out, kid, that car's about to crossfire!"
      Quote Originally Posted by seanmcd72
      You are like the new Nightshift1983 of this forum dude. Just keep your fingers off the keyboard unless you have something valuable to say

2. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      08-12-2019 05:19 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
      Crossing over from what to what?
      From he to she.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      08-12-2019 05:20 PM #3
      Googling CUV brings this quote from Autoblog:

A crossover or CUV, is a vehicle built on a car platform and combines features of a sport utility vehicle with features from a passenger vehicle.

08-12-2019 05:33 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      huh, I honestly thought it was cute utility vehicle
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      08-12-2019 05:42 PM #5
      I think back in the day, all of the crossover unibodies were Compacts, and the body on frame SUVs were bigger, so a CUV was a 1G CRV/Rav4/etc, hence the "C" for compact. Ignore that a Cherokee is a unibody and pretty SUVish.

Now, CUVs and SUVs are all sizes, and in my mind, the line between the two is pretty arbitrary (4Runner, Wrangler, Suburban/Tahoe are all SUVs, CUVs are Highlander/Pilot/Traverse and similar), and CUV just means crossover now.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      08-13-2019 05:51 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      huh, I honestly thought it was cute utility vehicle
      I've been calling them "trucklets" for years.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      08-12-2019 05:43 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post

A crossover or CUV, is a vehicle built on a car platform and combines features of a sport utility vehicle with features from a passenger vehicle.
      True, it's a car with more pounds and different clothing added to it. Which reminds me of how while cruising today I saw Honda's failure in the form of;

Honda just went too mild on the Crosstour and made it look more like an ugly Accord than anything else.

8. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      08-12-2019 05:46 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by antilock View Post

Honda just went too mild on the Crosstour and made it look more like an ugly Accord than anything else.
      Different platforms, but I'm nitpicking.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Vehicles
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      08-12-2019 05:47 PM #9
      Completely
      Undesirable
      Vehicle

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      08-12-2019 09:40 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      Completely
      Undesirable
      Vehicle
      About right.

I thought it stood for compact utility vehicle.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

11. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      08-12-2019 10:24 PM #11
      Like most body styles, it evolved over time and doesn't necessarily have a single clear source or meaning. I believe that it's open to some degree of recollection and interpretation--here is mine:

While it was definitely not the first crossover, the first car I remember being called a crossover was the OG Chrysler Pacifica in 2003. It was novel because it "crossed over" the wagon and SUV body styles, and offered people that would've gotten Grand Cherokees or Blazers something slightly more manageable and people that would have gotten wagons or minivans something more image friendly. It never really sold that well, but did generate a lot of buzz with "maybe I should get one?" AFAIK the term CUV was still not used yet.

Meanwhile, SUVs like the X5 or QX4 were being "downsized" to get better fuel economy (X3 or FX35) and it popularized the category, but since they were based on car chassis, the term crossover became used to differentiate. Since the branding tied in with the larger family siblings, 'Crossover' was changed to 'CUV'. (yes, BMW marketing weirdly called them SAVs, but nobody else did). Ironically, even though the CR-V arguably started the category, the 'C' stood for Comfortable and not crossover, with the later being retroactively applied.

Circa 2010, these things became so astounding popular that the term branched out even further, and cars that were traditionally known as SUVs but had unibodies started to be called crossovers by some too. Think Touareg, Cherokee, etc.

Today, some say the differentiator is body on frame vs unibody. Others say it's vehicles with a chassis shared with a sedan vs a dedicated SUV chassis. I'm of the later. And to make it more confusing, I think ars like the A4 Allroad or Golf AllTrack are actually more true to the original crossover formula, but today aren't unilaterally considered crossovers.
      Last edited by ghost03; 08-12-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      08-12-2019 05:52 PM #12
      True, it's a car with more pounds and different clothing added to it. Which reminds me of how while cruising today I saw Honda's failure in the form of;
      So I is and has a BMW Crosstour?

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      08-12-2019 06:06 PM #13
      SUV has always meant "Sports Utility Vehicle", so I interpret CUV mean "Compact Utility Vehicle". SUVs have mostly gone to car-based chassis, as have CUVs, but I wouldn't necessarily require it as there could theoretically be a compact BOF vehicle such as the new Jimny that could be marketed as a CUV.

The phrase "Crossover" is long gone, and seemed to be mostly used for the tall wagons of the early to mid 2000s.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 15 Passat Sport, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      08-12-2019 06:13 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      SUV has always meant "Sports Utility Vehicle", so I interpret CUV mean "Compact Utility Vehicle".
      Exactly what I have always thought CUV meant.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      08-12-2019 10:59 PM #15
      SUV has always meant "Sports Utility Vehicle", so I interpret CUV mean "Compact Utility Vehicle". SUVs have mostly gone to car-based chassis, as have CUVs, but I wouldn't necessarily require it as there could theoretically be a compact BOF vehicle such as the new Jimny that could be marketed as a CUV.

The phrase "Crossover" is long gone, and seemed to be mostly used for the tall wagons of the early to mid 2000s.
      This.
      Last edited by Sporin; 08-13-2019 at 07:08 AM.

Vehicles
      It varies.
      08-13-2019 02:01 PM #16

Really? OEMs still use the term "crossover" even if no one can precisely define it.

In my mind, "CUV" is still short for "crossover SUV". The earliest SUVs were BOF and RWD, typically built on a light truck frame, with more ground clearance than a regular car, a taller greenhouse to offer better visibility, and either a hatch or swing-out gate in lieu of a trunk.

People liked some of these features more than others. People liked the SUV ride height and visibility, and like the idea of a vehicle that was capable on or off road, in any kind of weather. A lot of these people didn't like the truck-y ride quality, or the (typically less refined) truck or truck-derived drive trains, or the bad gas mileage. The OEMs' solution was to combine the things people liked about the BOF SUVs with the things they liked about a sedan, wagon or minivan. The result was a "cross" between the two vehicle types or a vehicle someone might buy to partially "cross over" from sedan/wagon/minivan life to the SUV experience.

But, the distinctions have been blurred over time. There's still traditional SUVs (Tahoe, Suburban, Expedition) but there's a whole mess of others that aren't as easy to define. Is a 2020 Explorer and SUV because the original Explorer was BOF and RWD? Is it a car because it's built on a unibody "car" chassis? Is it a crossover even though no one calls it that in practice? Some OEMs use the term "crossover" but then market vehicles as "small SUV", "medium SUV" and "large SUV".

I think all that can really be said is that all CUVs are SUVs (sort of), but not all SUVs are CUVs.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Vehicles
      '16 Golf TSI SE; un Altima llamado Manuel
      08-13-2019 07:51 AM #17

not only is it based on the earlier 8th gen accord, but it is/was bigger than that accord. a lot of owners loved them. you picked the worst angle; all the others look much better, IMO.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      08-13-2019 08:31 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by potownrob View Post
      not only is it based on the earlier 8th gen accord, but it is/was bigger than that accord. a lot of owners loved them. you picked the worst angle; all the others look much better, IMO.
      None of the angles look remotely good.

08-13-2019 10:38 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      None of the angles look remotely good.
      Lol agreed. Ugly as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

Vehicles
      2011 SAAB 9-5, 2013 Ford Fusion
      08-13-2019 10:13 AM #20
      In stock form they were strange looking, but I've seen a few modded ones that don't look bad:

Learn what the bible really says about the End Times:

http://www.bibleprophecytruth.com

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2.0T, 2012 Honda Odyssey
      08-13-2019 10:23 AM #21
      I don't think I have ever heard CUV being referred to as compact utility in reviews. Pilots, Highlanders aren't exactly compact and those are always referred to as CUVs online.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      08-13-2019 12:23 PM #22
      Well beauty is in the eye's of the beholder. I believe the Crosstour looks pretty ugly in the rear too though.

It looks worse when you see it in the flesh. If it was human, it would be thinking about how it's gotta do something to ditch this fat ass.

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      08-13-2019 12:35 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by aleksl View Post
      I don't think I have ever heard CUV being referred to as compact utility in reviews. Pilots, Highlanders aren't exactly compact and those are always referred to as CUVs online.
      I think "Compact" was a relative term. "Compact in comparison to the BOF, truck based SUV's that came previously, the big Tahoes, etc. Plus the first-gen Highlander was significantly smaller than a Tahoe.

I think it's just a term that has evolved and has no real, set definition anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      But again, I think the CUV thing came out in like 1996/1997 with the first RAV4 and CRV, and those were compact. Pilot and Highlander weren't out for like 5 more years, and by then the CUV thing was already pretty common nomenclature.
      Yup.

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      08-12-2019 05:30 PM #24
      Between car and SUV. Back in the day, you could pick either a car on a unibody chassis with a low ride height or a truck with a body on frame chassis with a tall ride height. The CUV is just a unibody car that rides high like a truck.

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      08-12-2019 05:43 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
      Crossover *what*? Crossing over from what to what?
      To 'cuteness'.

When a Body-on-frame, gas -guzzling, off-roading macho SUV 'crosses over' to become more mall-friendly mom mobile, it becomes:

Cute Utility Vehicle

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast