08-12-2019 10:11 PM #26
      • Let the manual transmission die

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-12-2019 11:12 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Do not try to claim the manufacturers are forcing the death of the manual transmission in the US. It is the average consumer buying new in large numbers and enthusiasts who only buy used vehicles that are leading manufacturers to drop manuals in the US.
      I most certainly will claim that. In the US for decades now even if a model was available with a choice of a manual, you could rarely find one on the lot. Of course most consumers don't want to wait months to get a ordered model so they "settle" for what the manufactures put on the lots. Conspiracy? maybe since the profit margin is higher on a car with the automatic option most often. Greeeeed.

4. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      08-12-2019 11:16 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by AC1DD View Post
      I most certainly will claim that. In the US for decades now even if a model was available with a choice of a manual, you could rarely find one on the lot. Of course most consumers don't want to wait months to get a ordered model so they "settle" for what the manufactures put on the lots. Conspiracy? maybe since the profit margin is higher on a car with the automatic option most often. Greeeeed.
      It is purely a case of put up or shut up.
      If people are unwilling to order the vehicle they want and only settle for the instant gratification provided from whatever is on the lot then it is their fault manufacturers offer fewer and fewer options with a manual transmission.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

5. 08-12-2019 11:20 PM #29
      It is purely a case of put up or shut up.
      If people are unwilling to order the vehicle they want and only settle for the instant gratification provided from whatever is on the lot then it is their fault manufacturers offer fewer and fewer options with a manual transmission.
      So you admit that what I stated is true? You literally cannot find and haven't been able to find manual equipped cars on most any lot you visit during the past couple of decades or more. Why? Because the manufacturer won't make them available. The reason is that they want to force every customer to pay more and suffer the wrath of greedy profit margin mongers in the US car industry.

I'm not talking about having a dozens of them, but having NONE or just perhaps ONE available on the lot.

6. 08-12-2019 11:28 PM #30
      I think manuals will probably stay in pocket rocket cars ala civic si/type r but probably dead in sports cars and above especially with the c8 making the move

7. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      08-12-2019 11:29 PM #31
      So you admit that what I stated is true? You literally cannot find and haven't been able to find manual equipped cars on most any lot you visit during the past couple of decades or more. Why? Because the manufacturer won't make them available. The reason is that they want to force every customer to pay more and suffer the wrath of greedy profit margin mongers in the US car industry.

I'm not talking about having a dozens of them, but having NONE or just perhaps ONE available on the lot.
      No.
      Manufacturers make them available.
      Car dealers choose not to stock them.
      That is the difference...
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

8. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      08-12-2019 11:47 PM #32
      Another stupid thread by this guy.

9. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      08-12-2019 11:53 PM #33
      No.
      Manufacturers make them available.
      Car dealers choose not to stock them.
      That is the difference...
      I used to order all of the cars in my inventory. Can confirm.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

10. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      08-12-2019 11:58 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I used to order all of the cars in my inventory. Can confirm.
      Dealers stock what most customers buy.

If I am not a sheep then I can always order what I want. Or go elsewhere.

11. 08-13-2019 12:30 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Sweater View Post
      Dealers stock what most customers buy.

If I am not a sheep then I can always order what I want. Or go elsewhere.

Thing is that even a half way savvy store will stock a few manuals, but even looking for Civic manuals is a daunting task unless you are on the coasts, to not stock at least a couple of manuals seems to be stupid and shortsighted, worst thing if you don't see it you can probably do a dealer trade to one that has a customer for it.

12. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      08-13-2019 12:35 AM #36
      Thing is that even a half way savvy store will stock a few manuals, but even looking for Civic manuals is a daunting task unless you are on the coasts, to not stock at least a couple of manuals seems to be stupid and shortsighted, worst thing if you don't see it you can probably do a dealer trade to one that has a customer for it.
      You just do not understand the industry and business.

13. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      08-13-2019 12:51 AM #37
      Assuming that I wasn’t half way savvy, short sighted or stupid is chuckle worthy. I turned my new car inventory every 45 days. Manuals cost me money to carry on the lot as they sat forever and I had to pay flooring on them. My automatics turned fast and made me additional net profit because my flooring credits exceeded my flooring debits.

So again, if people actually purchased manuals in any kind of meaningful numbers we’d stock them. It’s in fact that simple.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

14. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport 6M
      08-13-2019 01:11 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Assuming that I wasn’t half way savvy, short sighted or stupid is chuckle worthy. I turned my new car inventory every 45 days. Manuals cost me money to carry on the lot as they sat forever and I had to pay flooring on them. My automatics turned fast and made me additional net profit because my flooring credits exceeded my flooring debits.

So again, if people actually purchased manuals in any kind of meaningful numbers we’d stock them. It’s in fact that simple.
      Make it, sell it, make more to satisfy demand. Holding time cost money.

Maybe AC1DD needs to take a cost accounting class.

It's all about opportunity cost.

08-13-2019 03:39 AM #39
      Not to mention that the ONLY place the manual transmission is being "forced" to die (hint hint) is in the North American market
      The manual will be around for many more decades to come in the rest of the world.
      The popularity of manual transmission is going down the drain in some European markets too. For example automatic transmission currently have a market share of 91% here in Norway.

Vehicles
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      08-13-2019 06:20 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      For example automatic transmission currently have a market share of 91% here in Norway.
      Does that include all the electric vehicles you're enjoying because you're sucking the earth dry of fossil fuels?
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 200k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 115k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

Vehicles
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX
      08-13-2019 07:20 AM #41

The Challenger manual is a $1000 option in Canada, and it was the same for the T-56 in the fourth gen F-bodies($1500 option back then).

The main reason I bought my car, was that it was on the lot and a manual. The dealer had an ATS sedan and coupe in manual. They were the only two manual ATSs on dealer lots at the time in all of Ontario.

Vehicles
      17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      08-13-2019 07:51 AM #42
      I remain adamant that Detroit killed the manual transmission for one simple reason: keeping the 3 speeds around long after they should have adapted to modern 4 and 5 speed transmissions. Threes had horrendous gear spacing and the powerband's of 60s engines wasn't nearly as wide and generous as modern engines. This wasn't a problem with a large V8, but it was in a large car/truck with a 6 or a small 8. Keep in mind that 3 speeds had been in use since the 1920s!, albeit without any syncromesh.

Why does this matter? Because although some cars ad optional 4 speeds, they were nearly as much money as the optional autos, which were especially desirable as A: it was new, exiting technology and B: power steering wasn't commonly equipped until the mid-60s. Thus only hardcore enthusiasts paid extra for optional 4 speeds, rather than simply offering the good transmission standard.

Even into the 70ies some cars simply didn't have a 4 speed standard, or at all. (Maverick, Vega, Gremlin/Pacer/Hornet). Guess that's your punishment for buying a small car. Of course Detroit adapted modern 5 speeds by the 80s but by that time gas was cheap again and manuals were associated with cheap, low end cars which many Boomers still believe to this day.

Oh, and to all of you people saying "put up or shut up brah", some of us are young. I can afford a new car (a decent car, not something ridiculous like a Versa or Mirage) but that has only been the case recently. People here like to say were living in a "golden age" of enthusiast cars, but IMO that's only true if you can afford a 55K car. I can't, and 90% of people under 30 can't-why do you think I buy used? In 1985-1995, you had scores and dozens of enthusiast cars that were affordable: Fox Mustang GT, Mazda MX-3 and MX-6, Prelude, S12 200SX, FB RX7, S13 240SX, the infamous Diamond Star coupes, AE86, Corolla GTS, I could go on... Just watch Motorweek retro reviews! There are a handful of affordable enthusiast cars sub 30K today, and they're mostly excellent cars, but our choices get more and more diminished every year all across the price spectrum.
      Last edited by 88c900t; 08-13-2019 at 08:09 AM.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      08-13-2019 08:19 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by C7WRXSTR765 View Post
      We all know manual transmission WILL DIE with ICE engine.
      Ugh this **** is inescapable. No the ICE engine won't die. But the manual transmission probably will.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      08-13-2019 08:40 AM #44
      Regarding buying what's on the lot vs ordering, I've bought 4 new manual equipped cars (1 Mazda, 3 VW) and not a single one of them was on the lot. I'm more than fine with waiting to get exactly what I want. A car is something one should have for a while, thus I don't understand peoples aversion to ordering something and having it come a few months later. If I wrote off my car and the dealer had no manuals I'd buy a beater to drive while I waited.

21. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      08-13-2019 08:42 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Ugh this **** is inescapable. No the ICE engine won't die. But the manual transmission probably will.
      How very short sighted of you.
      You really think in a few hundred years people will still be using ICE?

Vehicles
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      08-13-2019 08:45 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post
      Regarding buying what's on the lot vs ordering, I've bought 4 new manual equipped cars (1 Mazda, 3 VW) and not a single one of them was on the lot. I'm more than fine with waiting to get exactly what I want. A car is something one should have for a while, thus I don't understand peoples aversion to ordering something and having it come a few months later.
      Yep. Shortly after VW announced the TDI in the Jetta Wagon in early 2002, I went to the dealership and ordered a Manuel. Waited 4 months for it to come in. 17 years later, that wait doesn't seem like much.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 200k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 115k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

23. 08-13-2019 09:54 AM #47
      Both my STI and Si are manual (and only available that way too).

I would trade my daily Civic Si for an electric car.
      But my STI? Never giving that away, over my dead body.

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      08-13-2019 10:12 AM #48
      Good news.

Nissan Versa sedans with manuel are plentiful.

Remember, Nissan also makes the GT-R, so the Versa must be similar.

I reject geometry.

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      08-13-2019 10:19 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      This. Also, ban OP and Hawc.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      08-13-2019 10:20 AM #50

Want to know how I know you have no idea what you're saying??
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast