VWVortex.com - Why are TT's crapped on so much?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Why are TT's crapped on so much?

1. 08-12-2019 08:29 PM #1
      Just picked up a 01 1.8t Quattro for $4k. it's completely stock and only has 80k miles. I have extensive experience with mkIV gti's as I owned one for about 6 years and sold it around 4 years ago took it from stock to a Frankenturbo build on a Unitronic tune. Through my research, I've seen that mk1 TT's are hated on like none other. What's the deal? I like the look. The Quattro system does add weight but once the engine has enough power the 4wd system can only help to get off the line. so what's up?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-13-2019 06:20 AM #2
      It's one of the only cars that pretty much kept the look of the concept. I think it was ahead of it's time and a lot of people didn't gel with it for whatever reason.

I love when people find out I drive a TT. "Oh, so you're doing perms and cut n blows now are you? Do we get friends discount on a haircut?" Maaaaate. You drive a base model Ford Focus 1.6 with 5 doors. I quite often hand people my keys and offer to let them drive it. The basic facts are it is a 250bhp, 3.2l engined 2 seater sports coupe. I love mine.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 TT roadster
      08-13-2019 08:25 AM #3
      Unfortunately the power and particularly the handling were not up to true sports car standards of that era as compared to the boxster/cayman for example. The car is nose heavy with significant understeer. Still, it is a fun car to drive and they sold a lot of them, more than most other true sports cars. The handling was dramatically improved in the Mk 2 and most folks think the improvements in the Mk 3 make it a true sports car

I saw an early Mk 1 in Europe before it was launched in the US and was blown away by the design. Not being a car magazine guy, I had no idea the car even existed. Then when I saw the first roadster and the baseball interior, I had to have one and have never regretted it. I'm presently shopping for my fourth, a Mk 3.

The style of the Mk 1 was a love it or hate it situation. The fact that the performance did not match the looks to many sports car buyers gave the TT the hairdresser image - buy for looks instead of performance.

Audi did not do itself any favors when they did a baby blue TT placement as the dumb blond's car in the Legally Blond movie which cemented the hairdresser image in the US market
      2011 scuba blue/gray TTR
      Prior TTRs 2001 and 04 lake silver/amber baseball
      Active participant since 2002 and present Chairman of TT West
      ACNA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      03 TT225, 76 Dasher 16V
      08-13-2019 02:37 PM #4
      I've wanted one since I first saw the concept in European Car magazine.
      When new, for me Financially, they were made of unubtanium, and very impractical at the time.
      Now I'm an empty nester, in a state that rains a lot with occasional snow. Interesting how life changes. It's now a very affordable and quite practical commuter for me.
      I, like most here, do my own repairs/maintenance. THAT is what makes it reasonably practical.

I seem to be attracted to less popular cars. I have a Dodge Magnum (highly modified) that is also hated by many, and revered by many. It also was very close to the concept vehicle.
      And I have a VW Dasher (also highly modified) project car. Again, a forgotten, often despised car.

I could not care less what others think about any of these cars.

The TT turns a LOT of heads, and honestly I think a lot more people like them or are intrigued by them than will admit.

Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT 225 QC
      08-13-2019 03:22 PM #5
      It just doesn't perform as well as it looks, imho. That, coupled with gauge cluster gremlins, lousy plastic parts that break way too easily, and that awful scene from Mission Impossible....

I still love mine, though.
      You can remove blood stains with hydrogen peroxide.

8. 08-14-2019 04:30 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by lite1979 View Post
      It just doesn't perform as well as it looks, imho. That, coupled with gauge cluster gremlins, lousy plastic parts that break way too easily, and that awful scene from Mission Impossible....

I still love mine, though.
      Doesn't perform well? My V6 is more than enough for driving around Manchester and even over the tops/twisty roads. Cluster gremlins is a £120 fix (and only potential buyers find out about this problem really). Not sure what plastic parts you've had break, but I've not had any problems

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 TT roadster
      08-14-2019 11:17 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by McPikie View Post
      Doesn't perform well? My V6 is more than enough for driving around Manchester and even over the tops/twisty roads. Cluster gremlins is a £120 fix (and only potential buyers find out about this problem really). Not sure what plastic parts you've had break, but I've not had any problems
      but it added about 150 pounds on the car, mostly on the nose which made understeer worse. Also, there were few sold as compared to the 1.8L versions.

I loved my Mk 1s and they were certainly sporty enough for me. I also love that it is a fairly rare car, particularly roadsters with baseball interior. No one comes up to you at a gas station and asks "What's that?" if you are driving a Porsche or BMW.
      2011 scuba blue/gray TTR
      ACNA Life Member

Vehicles
      12 TT RS, 15 MX5
      08-14-2019 03:00 PM #8
      A lot of people just form their opinions reading car magazines and blogs. I bet very few if any that actually drove a TT complain so much about it. I think Mk1 TT is certainly the most beautiful car of all the generations and even among all the sports coupe cars of that era. It aged incredibly well and in hindsight Audi should've taken it's performance more seriously. They somewhat fixed the performance aspect in Mk2 and even more with the Mk3 later on but TT will never have a real sports car aura due to it's Golf underpinnings and haldex drivetrain. But they're great drivers cars and they will be judged much more kindly once they're gone for good.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 TT roadster
      08-15-2019 10:06 AM #9
      2011 scuba blue/gray TTR
      ACNA Life Member

12. Yesterday 06:31 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegas-RoadsTTer View Post
      I wanted one for years, and thought I'd never be able to afford one.
      The 'girl's car' moniker, is laughable to say the least.......