VWVortex.com - Sony debuts massive 9-inch CarPlay + Android Auto Receiver w/ modest price tag
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony debuts massive 9-inch CarPlay + Android Auto Receiver w/ modest price tag

08-13-2019 03:14 AM #1
      https://9to5toys.com/2019/08/12/sony...ay-xav-ax8000/

“As auto manufacturers increasingly incorporate larger screens into their new models, legacy car owners don’t have to miss out on the latest technology,” said Mike Fasulo, president and chief operating officer, Sony Electronics North America. “Sony’s newest audio receivers feature big, vibrant displays, powerful sound and cutting-edge functionality that dramatically elevate the in-car entertainment experience.”

When made available, Sony’s new 8.95-inch CarPlay Receiver (XAV-AX8000) will be priced at $599.99. The company plans to officially launch the XAV-AX8000 during the month of December, just in time to make it on your Christmas list.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

08-13-2019 07:39 AM #2
      Ah, so a cheaper Alpine?
      2019 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport 4WD - Not Stock

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      08-13-2019 08:21 AM #3
      The Chinese have been on this for years

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      08-13-2019 08:29 AM #4
      How many cars will the actually fit? I get that it fits into a DIN (or whatever) slot, but how many cars have room for the screen protruding above it?

08-13-2019 08:30 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      How many cars will the actually fit? I get that it fits into a DIN (or whatever) slot, but how many cars have room for the screen protruding above it?
      Really? Most.
      2019 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport 4WD - Not Stock

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      08-13-2019 08:33 AM #6
      More and more cars are being made where there's no way to make an aftermarket head unit install look good.

08-13-2019 09:39 AM #7
      Wow look a single DIN unit, hello 1990's so nice to see you again.

Soooo what kinda late model car must I have to enjoy this unit today, seriously?

I suppose this is something fresh to breath new life into my daughter's old hand-me-down beater.

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      08-13-2019 10:09 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post

Soooo what kinda late model car must I have to enjoy this unit today, seriously?

I suppose this is something fresh to breath new life into my daughter's old hand-me-down beater.

It'll also breathe new life into the old-timey car stereo thief.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

10. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Speed Triple R, 07 Cayman S
      08-13-2019 10:27 AM #9

I actually swapped my PCM with a Sony double DIN carplay unit, and it’s been a fantastic upgrade. All the modern functionality out of a 12 year old car. You just buy a new face plate and plug it into your dash. Unfortunately, Porsches use a weird proprietary digital optical unit that requires an adapter.

Really, not too many cars use a DIN interface anymore, but there are tons of kits that allow you to put a DIN unit into your car. An easy way to get carplay/android auto into your decade old car.

08-13-2019 12:43 PM #10
      This would fit my 2 Toyota trucks perfectly. Probably going to pick one up for my Tacoma as soon as they are released.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      08-13-2019 12:50 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      More and more cars are being made where there's no way to make an aftermarket head unit install look good.
      Right but this isn't aimed at cars still being made, but people who want modern infotainment in an older car.

There's definitely a lot that it works for but on my last Single-DIN car it would definitely block both the cupholders and the HVAC controls:

Vehicles
      2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport
      08-13-2019 12:55 PM #12
      I'd prefer something flush-mounted but I see how this can work if you can't fit a double DIN model.
      Next car desires subject to change... Perpetually.

Vehicles
      e92, LS1 S30, mk2 GTi vr6
      08-13-2019 01:08 PM #13
      i like it

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Lincoln MKZ AWD
      08-13-2019 01:19 PM #14

Lotus

Vehicles
      2018 VW Jetta SE 1.4T manual
      08-13-2019 03:06 PM #15
      If you put one of these in a Mk2 VW you'd get pulled over and ticketed for it blocking your view through the windshield. And then it would get stolen within minutes after parking in the city.

And then there's the pre-2004ish Mk4s with the pop-out cupholders mounted directly above the radio. Put one of these in, and no more cupholders.

17. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      08-13-2019 03:07 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      Really? Most.
      I don’t need to use my HVAC controls or vents anyways
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Bolt
      08-13-2019 03:09 PM #17

You made a mistake with the snark. Even a cursory look at crutchfueld would have shown you that most cars with proprietary radios have plenty of options for installing a double and single din radio while still keeping the dash. M

It’s just a template to match the stock layout but creating a single or double din opening.

Vehicles
      12 XC70 T6 | 09 Silverado
      08-13-2019 03:50 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      The Chinese have been on this for years
      yeah, except my Eonon unit seems to be getting slower by the day and cost about as much as this.

20. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      08-13-2019 03:52 PM #19
      Last edited by LT1M21Stingray; 08-13-2019 at 03:55 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

08-13-2019 03:56 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      You made a mistake with the snark. Even a cursory look at crutchfueld would have shown you that most cars with proprietary radios have plenty of options for installing a double and single din radio while still keeping the dash. M

It’s just a template to match the stock layout but creating a single or double din opening.
      Sure but my question is/was, what modern car would I have to buy for this to be an option for me? (besides the Lotus) Most premium/ near premium cars have touch screens already and are fully integrated with the rest the car. But as was mentioned this unit is primarily aimed at folks with older cars that want some modern audio tech which is cool. And I actually had no idea that Crutchfield even existed still.

22. 08-13-2019 04:07 PM #21
      I would be scared to have this in the city, its so big and noticeable a broken glass would be a sure thing

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Bolt
      08-13-2019 04:49 PM #22
      Sure but my question is/was, what modern car would I have to buy for this to be an option for me? (besides the Lotus) Most premium/ near premium cars have touch screens already and are fully integrated with the rest the car. But as was mentioned this unit is primarily aimed at folks with older cars that want some modern audio tech which is cool. And I actually had no idea that Crutchfield even existed still.
      Again many many cars sold today come with a standard headunit that's either a simple radio, a small 4" screen for the rear view camera, or just simply low res to try and get you into a higher trim with a larger screen, or a bundled package that includes a large screen. For many people these types of aftermarket radios work great, not even counting older cars.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Speed Triple R, 07 Cayman S
      08-13-2019 08:39 PM #23
      Any car that's more than 2-3 years old is unlikely to have Carplay. Cars older than 5 years old often don't have USB, bluetooth, or even AUX capability. In my case, a modern head unit made daily living with my car so much easier, since I now have Google maps and Spotify. It's true, most modern cars now have these features, but the average age of cars on the road is rising. A great majority of cars on the road don't have this functionality, and it only costs as much as a new head unit and a dash adapter kit.

08-13-2019 08:50 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      I would be scared to have this in the city, its so big and noticeable a broken glass would be a sure thing
      It has a detachable faceplate.

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      08-13-2019 09:06 PM #25
      Just what I want - a massive screen floating in space, blocking the air vents.

What the market needs? A double-DIN, mechless (no disc transport), super-shallow to fit almost any car (easily accomplished without the transport), CarPlay- & Android Auto-compatible unit, matte finish capacitive touchscreen, and an actual rotating volume knob, plus rotating tuning/select knob on the right side. Also should support wireless CarPlay/AA. Doesn't need its own nav, doesn't really need any smarts at all. Would fit a TON of cars and somebody would sell a metric buttload of them. Doesn't exist today as far as I can tell.

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast