VWVortex.com - Head gasket in a can: thoughts?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Head gasket in a can: thoughts?

08-14-2019 11:29 AM #1
      I have an old (1990) GMC Rally van that gives out a little puff of white smoke on start-up. I suspect the gaskets dried-out as it only has 120,000 km (75,000 miles) on it. Good van for hauling kayaks and bikes around, but I don't want to spend a fortune to repair it as I paid about 1K for it a few years ago. So, what do you guys think of the "miracle in a bottle" head gasket sealers? Worth a try? Anyone has first-hand experience with the stuff? Any recommendations on the brand? Thx.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

08-14-2019 11:35 AM #2
      There was an episode of Roadkill this year I believe where they had a vehicle with the same general issue and joked that although they figured it had little chance of helping, they poured in a can head gasket sealant or whatever. That resolved the issue for the rest of their time with the vehicle, if I recall correctly. It's certainly less expensive than overhauling the engine and I see no downside to giving it a shot.

Vehicles
      '13 Golf TDI
      08-14-2019 11:38 AM #3
      I'd say that the stuff works. D3 A8 oil pan gaskets only come in a tube. If Audi deems it reliable enough to use on every 4.2 FSI then it must be somewhat good.
      Current: 2005 V70, 2006 E350, 2010 535i, 2013 Golf TDI
      Past Volvos: 1996 960, 1998 S70 T5M, 1999 V70R, 2000 V70, 2004 S60R
      Past Audis: B5S4, 1990 90 2.3qm

08-14-2019 11:41 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      There was an episode of Roadkill this year I believe where they had a vehicle with the same general issue and joked that although they figured it had little chance of helping, they poured in a can head gasket sealant or whatever. That resolved the issue for the rest of their time with the vehicle, if I recall correctly. It's certainly less expensive than overhauling the engine and I see no downside to giving it a shot.
      Yeah, I saw that episode. Hence my curiosity and my question about real life experiences.

6. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      08-14-2019 12:35 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by alex_bgnet View Post
      I'd say that the stuff works. D3 A8 oil pan gaskets only come in a tube. If Audi deems it reliable enough to use on every 4.2 FSI then it must be somewhat good.
      ....different application on an oil pan under almost no pressure v. a headgasket which (depending on the port) is under quite a bit of pressure.

but, if its a cheap beater van, who cares. try it and see. worse case youre having to get in there anyway!

Vehicles
      '19 Regal Sportback, 18 Rogue, '17 Jetta SE, & '90 Corrado G60
      08-14-2019 12:47 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      ....different application on an oil pan under almost no pressure v. a headgasket which (depending on the port) is under quite a bit of pressure.

but, if its a cheap beater van, who cares. try it and see. worse case youre having to get in there anyway!
      ...and then replacing a bunch of other stuff once the "miracle fix" clogs other things
      2013 Golf R - VWR Intake - Unitronic Stage 2HPFP - SPM TurboBack Exhaust - Autotech Fuel Pump - More to Come
      All mods have been approved and endorsed by Accidental L8 apex

Vehicles
      Golf Country TDI, Cabrio ABA-T, mk6 R-Line, F250
      08-14-2019 01:30 PM #7
      Come and see me at the Partsource on Merivale, I'll sell you a can.
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      because F**khole, Canada isn't a real town.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      08-14-2019 01:42 PM #8
      Like Bar's Leaks?

That stuff is silicate fibres in suspension. It works by clogging the holes in the coolant passages. The only issue is if you are leaking coolant into the oil, and then you get fibres in your oil galleys.

So check that you have no coolant in your oil, and then go for it.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

10. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      08-14-2019 01:49 PM #9
      Does this have the 350 in it?

If yes, it's valve stem seals. My Dad's '88 had this problem start around 70k miles.

08-14-2019 04:32 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Bakounine View Post
      I have an old (1990) GMC Rally van that gives out a little puff of white smoke on start-up. I suspect the gaskets dried-out as it only has 120,000 km (75,000 miles) on it. Good van for hauling kayaks and bikes around, but I don't want to spend a fortune to repair it as I paid about 1K for it a few years ago. So, what do you guys think of the "miracle in a bottle" head gasket sealers? Worth a try? Anyone has first-hand experience with the stuff? Any recommendations on the brand? Thx.
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post

If yes, it's valve stem seals. My Dad's '88 had this problem start around 70k miles.
      Yeah, that seems like valve stem seals, not a head gasket leak. Try some Restore and see if that doesn't at least reduce the smoke.

Also try replacing your PCV valve.

As for the Head Gasket in a can thing, I personally have never used it, but some of my friends who don't believe in doing things the right way have used it with varying results. One guy swears by it because it stopped his head gasket from leaking in his Crown Vic, and another who used it on his old 8V 1.8 and it didn't do a thing.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

08-14-2019 04:54 PM #11
      It's the 305. Same issue as the 350? I assume they are quite similar...

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      08-14-2019 05:32 PM #12
      I don't believe in any mechanic in a can, ever. I think the right way to fix things is the only way HOWEVER I too owned a cheap vehicle that I was unwilling to sink time/money into.

It was also the dead of winter and -25C with no garage space at the time to work on the car makes you say "welp, **** it let's see what happens".

I had a 98 Cavalier 2.2L sedan. It was just shy of 200,000kms at the time and in the middle of January the head gasket started to leak on one of the corners where they usually fail on those cars.

I bought a bottle of Rislone Liquid Copper for $29 figuring if it works and I get another year out of it, great. If not? Well... Not a huge loss.

I ended up driving that car to 340,000kms and never even removed as much as the valve cover.

I am fairly certain it ****ed up the heater core though. It still blew heat but smelled like coolant or something was funny in that department, I forget.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

14. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      08-14-2019 05:44 PM #13

I used a small can of something that "rejuvenated old dry seals" from Kmart back in 2001 to fix the valve seal smoke in the 180k mile 88 3.0 Caravan.
      Worked like a charm.
      Can't find it today, but Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak should work.

Vehicles
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      08-14-2019 05:48 PM #14
      It's the 305. Same issue as the 350? I assume they are quite similar...
      Yep.

I had a cheap Volvo S40 commuter with bad valve stem seals back in 2011. I was about to tear into the engine, when a trusted friend/parts manager/guru recommended I try a can of Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver as a last ditch effort. Within a couple drives the symptoms were gone, and last I heard the car is still running strong today.

So I'd totally give it a try in your van.

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      08-14-2019 06:46 PM #15
      If the thing isn't actually consuming coolant, don't put anything in anywhere and just drive it.

17. 08-14-2019 06:57 PM #16

Yes,, that was what I was thinking... valve guides or seals... leaking oil into the chamber when its parked,,,so yes,,, you get a "puffer" when you first start it as this oil burns off.

But water would also get you a "steamer" when you first lite it off as well... so... are there bubbles in the radiator???? leaker would throw bubbles at you in the radiator. Or test the radiator for exhaust gasses before trying the head gasket sealer... a leaker would also have lower compression on one cyl.. or more...

18. 08-14-2019 08:18 PM #17
      I'm going to 3rd, 4th, 5th? on it being the valve guides seals.
      You can try some Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase, or I also remember hearing a half quart of ATF can swell them up a bit.

But overall, if you keep your eye on the oil level, that little puff really isnt that big of a deal........... IMO

Vehicles
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      08-14-2019 09:49 PM #18
      Don't try to fix something that isn't broken. That never ends well.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      RS3, JKU
      08-14-2019 11:28 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Don't try to fix something that isn't broken. That never ends well.
      Agree. It’s an SBC I think even god’s chariot version has leaky valve seals and piston slap.

21. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      08-15-2019 12:14 AM #20

Bingo. This is your problem.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

22. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      08-15-2019 12:17 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Agree. It’s an SBC I think even god’s chariot version has leaky valve seals and piston slap.
      My LS3 has a noisy valve train. Can confirm.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.