VWVortex.com - Move over Model X, Cadillac Escalade EV is coming with 400 miles range!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move over Model X, Cadillac Escalade EV is coming with 400 miles range!

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      08-14-2019 12:39 PM #1

General Motors plans to position Cadillac as its lead electric-vehicle brand and a new report claims the strategy will even affect the Escalade luxury SUV.

Citing an anonymous source familiar with Cadillac product plans, Cadillac Society reported on Saturday that a 400-mile battery-electric version of the Escalade is in the pipeline. The source said to look for the Escalade EV further into the next-generation SUV's lifecycle. The all-electric Escalade likely won't bow alongside the standard vehicle, whenever that may be. All information points to the new luxury SUV launching for the 2021 model year. The next Escalade may debut later this year, but if not, likely in 2020.

Motor Authority friend and industry insider Manoli Katakis of Muscle Cars & Trucks told us the Escalade EV is set to be one of two bookends for the luxury SUV nameplate with the Camaro ZL1-powered model as the other bookend. Recall, the website first reported on a supercharged V-8-powered Escalade coming to tackle the high-performance end of the SUV segment.

While an electric Escalade would mark a major shift in the nameplate's history, it's perhaps the touted range that's most impressive. With 400 miles, that would make the Escalade one of the longest-range electric vehicles on the market. Currently, the Tesla Model X tops out at 325 miles of range and the Model S at 370 miles of range. A big, square vehicle like the Escalade would need a really big battery pack to get 400 miles of range.

The Escalade EV may also give us our first look at how an electric powertrain packages into a full-size truck. GM has said it has an electric pickup in development, and if it's related to the Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra, it will ride on the automaker's T1 platform. The next Escalade, Tahoe, Suburban, and Yukon will also share the same architecture as GM's full-size trucks.

Motor Authority reached out to Cadillac for comment regarding an all-electric Escalade and will update this report should we hear back.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...escalade-rumor
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      08-14-2019 12:58 PM #2
      The XT6's styling will make much more sense, if the new Escalade looks like that.

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW 3er GT, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      08-14-2019 12:59 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      The XT6's styling will make much more sense, if the new Escalade looks like that.
      Right? Even though this is only a rendering, the redesigned front facia should fit Escalade's large SUV profile much better.
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

Vehicles
      2019 Mazda 3
      08-14-2019 03:36 PM #4
      I tend to think the typical Escalade buyer is not looking for a full EV. I could see a plug-in hybrid working but not a full EV.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf, 1996 BMW 328i
      08-14-2019 03:52 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      I tend to think the typical Escalade buyer is not looking for a full EV. I could see a plug-in hybrid working but not a full EV.
      But do you think the typical EV buyer would be interested in having an Escalade?

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Mazda 6... for now
      08-14-2019 04:01 PM #6
      Lol, how many batteries will it need to go 400 Miles?
      Last edited by JitteryJoe; 08-14-2019 at 04:03 PM.

8. 08-14-2019 04:04 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
      Lol, how many batteries will it need to go 400 Miles?
      All of them.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      08-14-2019 04:10 PM #8
      pffft, no.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      08-14-2019 04:11 PM #9
      Uber. You're slipping.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...light=escalade

Over three weeks ago...

08-14-2019 04:13 PM #10
      What will be the asphalt crushing weight of an Escalade with enough batteries to go 400 miles on a charge?
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

12. 08-14-2019 04:25 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      This kind of mileage could be the tipping point. This gives enough range that mom can go to work and shuttle the soccer team around without worry. This gives enough range that dad can grab all his buddies and beer and drive to the better golf course. Also give enough range to pack all the yeti coolers and boogie boards and head to the beach without worry. I think the biggest issue would be tow ratings. I dont know how that factors into EV. People that can afford Escalades may be know to tow things like boats or sea doos. I think we are starting to get closer to a time where people dont really care what is under the hood as long as the performance and range are there.

08-14-2019 04:34 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Roo View Post
      This kind of mileage could be the tipping point. This gives enough range that mom can go to work and shuttle the soccer team around without worry. This gives enough range that dad can grab all his buddies and beer and drive to the better golf course. Also give enough range to pack all the yeti coolers and boogie boards and head to the beach without worry. I think the biggest issue would be tow ratings. I dont know how that factors into EV. People that can afford Escalades may be know to tow things like boats or sea doos. I think we are starting to get closer to a time where people dont really care what is under the hood as long as the performance and range are there.
      Well, that kind of range is good, but they don't have decent solution for quick charging for that much range.

Also, this new Escalade is very handsome.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

14. 08-14-2019 05:03 PM #13
      Screw anything GM makes until they can tell their lawyers to fark off and stop neutering products.

Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3 Performance
      08-14-2019 11:02 PM #14
      Man, this thing is gonna have to cost like $140k. Super inefficient box shape, less efficient motors than Teslas, heavier, AND more range? I'm guessing 175kwh pack for real world 400 miles.
      Slow Car Fast

16. 08-14-2019 11:17 PM #15
      "Lol, how many batteries will it need to go 400 Miles?"

Well, depends at 4 miles / kWh, that's 100kWh. About what a P100 or X has now.

Quite possible.

08-15-2019 12:25 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Steavis View Post

Quite possible.
      Riddle me this: The model x weighs 1k lbs more than a comparable gasoline engined mid-sized ute. The gas escalade is about 1k lbs more than the model X..... and the X only has a range of 240 miles. So, are we looking at an 8k lb escalade here or has GM uncorked some magical genie? LOL indeed
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      08-15-2019 12:50 AM #17
      A four-ton Escalade EV. They'll have to make the charging stations wider to accommodate.

And is GM going to make their own superchargers to top off this beast in a reasonable amount of time?

I would assume a 220V home charger will barely budge the needle after an overnight charge.
      I reject geometry.

Vehicles
      16v I4, Turbocharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      08-15-2019 12:55 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by mike! View Post
      uber. You're slipping.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...light=escalade

over three weeks ago...
      lol watt
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3 Performance
      08-15-2019 12:56 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Steavis View Post

Quite possible.

You are telling me GM's first EV SUV will match the efficiency of Tesla's tech queen on its first try all while being a much bigger vehicle?

Slow Car Fast

08-15-2019 06:34 AM #20
      I would love an electric full size SUV.

This is a huge niche waiting to be filled. As practical as a model X is, you cant actually haul enough crap around in it if you have hobbies, or lots of kids.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      08-15-2019 07:21 AM #21
      What a waste

So instead of fighting the Germans GM wants to fight Tesla

And waste batteries in the process. The probable 200kWh battery this thing will need could make 100-200 regular hybrids. Which do you think would be more effective at reducing emissions?

Vehicles
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '92 F-250 4X4, '00 GTI 1.8T
      08-15-2019 07:32 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      And is GM going to make their own superchargers to top off this beast in a reasonable amount of time?

I would assume a 220V home charger will barely budge the needle after an overnight charge.
      I assume it will use the SAE standard DC fast charging interface for quick, on the road charges.

As for home charging, it will add the same amount of energy to this Escalade as it does to any other EV. Should be good for well over 100 miles. If you're not driving more than that the next day, who cares? True BEV owners (not Volts) with home charging rarely go from fully depleted to fully charged every day. Got a long trip coming up where you need the full 400 mile range? Charge over consecutive nights leading up to it.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      08-15-2019 07:51 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      What a waste

So instead of fighting the Germans GM wants to fight Tesla

And waste batteries in the process. The probable 200kWh battery this thing will need could make 100-200 regular hybrids. Which do you think would be more effective at reducing emissions?
      Cadillac is not going to realistically ever fight the Germans. The pages have closed on that fairytale book.

I don't think the EV Escalade is intended to save the environment, by itself, but it does make GM's EV pick-up truck program more cost effective, as it will use the same tech.
      An EV Silverado (and F150) have the potential to be true emissions game changers.
      Since Ford has revealed their EV truck plans, we can assume it will naturally be expanded to the Navigator and Expedition.
      If GM listens to your position on the EV Escalade, and Lincoln debuts an EV Navigator, then people on these forums will be like "Grrrr! Cadillac is so uncompetitive with Lincoln!".

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      08-15-2019 08:18 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      Cadillac is not going to realistically ever fight the Germans. The pages have closed on that fairytale book.

I don't think the EV Escalade is intended to save the environment, by itself, but it does make GM's EV pick-up truck program more cost effective, as it will use the same tech.
      An EV Silverado (and F150) have the potential to be true emissions game changers.
      Since Ford has revealed their EV truck plans, we can assume it will naturally be expanded to the Navigator and Expedition.
      If GM listens to your position on the EV Escalade, and Lincoln debuts an EV Navigator, then people on these forums will be like "Grrrr! Cadillac is so uncompetitive with Lincoln!".
      I think you may be missing the forest for the trees here. I probably sound like a broken record, but I believe what I'm saying makes sense.

Let's say a gas Escalade emits 1000 tons of CO2 over its lifetime (just to keep the math simple). Our electric grid still uses fossil fuels, so the CO2 does not go to zero- but I'll even let it go to zero to make my point. So, 200kWh to eliminate 1000 tons.

On average hybrids save about 30-40% vs their ICE equivalents. So let's say 1 Escalade hybrid could eliminate 300 tons. Thing is, it would only need 2kWh to do it. So that 200kWh could go to 100 hybrids, to eliminate 30,000 tons of CO2. And again that is the most conservative estimate in the BEV's favor. In reality, the hybrids could eliminate as much as 40K tons, while the Escalade BEV may only do 600-700 tons. So that battery could be damn near 100x more effective at reducing emissions in a hybrid.

So what exactly is the point of an Escalade (or any) BEV in the context of our constrained battery supply? It can't be emissions reductions.

26. 08-15-2019 08:32 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      So what exactly is the point of an Escalade (or any) BEV in the context of our constrained battery supply? It can't be emissions reductions.
      Greenwashing. Marketing.

The drag coefficient of a Tesla Model X is 0.24. (There's a reason that all Tesla's vehicles have the same shape.) The drag coefficient of a last generation Chevrolet Tahoe (Same vehicle as Escalade, just different decoration) was 0.38 and the frontal area is higher. Aero drag is probably going to be near double, so it will need near double the battery capacity for the same highway range.

Towing a trailer of close to the max tow rating of a Model X (just below 5000 lbs) triples the electrical consumption. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhX3BmhJXc8

I'm not optimistic about electric pickup trucks in the near future. Sure, they'll work, but not for very long. (Drag coefficient of a pickup truck is a fair bit worse than that of a same-vehicle-platform enclosed box-shaped SUV, and that in turn is a fair bit worse than an aerodynamically-optimized vehicle like anything Tesla currently builds)
      Last edited by GoFaster; 08-15-2019 at 08:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast