VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

How to test PCV/Oil Separator

11K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Dieseldog12 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Passat TSI 1.8T. I'm having to add 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles or even less. I use Castrol Edge 5w-40 Full Synthetic. There are no obvious signs of a leak and was told it could be the PCV/Oil Separator. I took it off the other day, but it's not like any PCV Valve I've ever messed with. What do I look for? The car is not smoking. I do drive it kind of hard and I live in the state of Georgia which is very hot and humid right now. Should I maybe use a different weight oil?

#2 · (Edited)
Volkswagens are knows to burn a little oil. It’s how their engines are made. You can buy a new Volkswagen off of the dealership lot and it will burn oil. I keep a spare jug of 5w40 full synthetic I got from the dealership in my garage. Trust me I have a 2012 Passat s with 220,000 miles I drive it hard and I’ve changed most parts to help oil consumption but it doesn’t help. Try to not push it so hard and it should help a little bit. It’s hot over here in Missouri with 85 degree temps and it doesn’t help either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I have a 2014 Passat TSI 1.8T. I'm having to add 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles or even less. I use Castrol Edge 5w-40 Full Synthetic. There are no obvious signs of a leak and was told it could be the PCV/Oil Separator. I took it off the other day, but it's not like any PCV Valve I've ever messed with. What do I look for? The car is not smoking. I do drive it kind of hard and I live in the state of Georgia which is very hot and humid right now. Should I maybe use a different weight oil?
Volkswagens are knows to burn a little oil. It’s how their engines are made. You can buy a new Volkswagen off of the dealership lot and it will burn oil. I keep a spare jug of 5w40 full synthetic I got from the dealership in my garage. Trust me I have a 2012 Passat s with 220,000 miles I drive it hard and I’ve changed most parts to help oil consumption but it doesn’t help. Try to not push it so hard and it should help a little bit. It’s hot over here in Missouri with 85 degree temps and it doesn’t help either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the gen 3 shouldn't be burning that much oil . I have a 2015 and a 2017 neither burn any . .... How to test a PCV ? I have no idea . I did change mine on the 2015 at 50k for the heck of it . I think it was 140 bucks . I got it at Shopdap.com .

#5 ·
PVC vents to the turbo intake pre turbine, if it's an issue there'd be tons of oil in the IC, pull the hot side of the IC piping and see what drains out.

I've always kept 1qrt of oil in all our VWs but have never had to add anything in the 10K OCI over 300K combined miles across 4 engines, 3 tdi and a tsi.

Even at 1 qrt per 1000 miles is over VW's recommend normal oil consumption. I'd check for turbo shaft play, you could be puking oil into your exhaust and cat (but alas you'd be seeing some smoke).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.