Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Brake pedal travel

Vehicles
      MK4 R-32 / H3 / 911
      08-18-2019 02:41 PM #1
      My 04 R32 (55K) stops fine and I only have aftermarket rotors (ECS)
      My calipers and pads are all stock VW OEM.
      The car stops and there’s no pulling or noise, but my pedal goes down further
      than it should, in my opinion.
      Pedal is not spongy, just too much travel.
      In fact the pedal travels down some even when vehicle is stopped, engine on,
      meaning pads and rotors should not be the problem

I have power bled my brake system twice and used the VW sequence of LF, RF, RR, LR.
      I also had the VW dealer here in town, use their VCS to bleed the ABS pump.

I would love a firmer, hard pedal, but no dice.
      If anyone has a suggestion, I am willing to try anything
      Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      MK4 BMP R32; MK6 Golf TDI Stage 3 (Sold)
      08-19-2019 09:13 AM #2
      Have you owned the car from new? Was the pedal travel always that far?

If so, then maybe Tyrol’s brake stiffening kit is what you’re looking for. Humble Mechanic has a YouTube video on it. This will improve the stock pedal feel. Assuming nothing else is wrong with your brake system.

If not, maybe look into the brake booster (just a guess). I know the vacuum line coming from the engine to the brake booster can crack or break (happened to me).
      Last edited by gloaming88; 08-19-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Vehicles
      MK4 R-32 / H3 / 911
      08-19-2019 12:22 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by gloaming88 View Post
      Have you owned the car from new? Was the pedal travel always that far?

If so, then maybe Tyrol’s brake stiffening kit is what you’re looking for. Humble Mechanic has a YouTube video on it. This will improve the stock pedal feel. Assuming nothing else is wrong with your brake system.

If not, maybe look into the brake booster (just a guess). I know the vacuum line coming from the engine to the brake booster can crack or break (happened to me).
      I do know of Charle's video of the Tyrol brake stiffening kit. I am willing to go that route.
      Yes, I bought this R new and quite honestly, I can't remember if the brake pedal felt better years ago or if my mind is going a little crazy. I'm afraid I can't really answer that part of your question.

When the dealer bled the ABS pump, I had asked them to check if anything else was causing this problem. Who knows if they looked at the booster or any vacuum leaks. I assume that vacuum line you refer to, is on the very bottom part of the booster ?

Your points are all good, thanks.
      I will check for any leaks, first, then maybe the Tyrol kit.
      Changing a brake booster looks like a bear of a job in these engine bays.

It could all be worse

Thanks
      Last edited by wfturner; 08-19-2019 at 02:13 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line, 2014 Tiguan SEL
      08-21-2019 09:59 PM #4
      I had a spongy pedal and after a good flush and bleed my pedal is rock solid. I do have a bit of travel before the brakes grab though, almost like 1/2-3/4 of a inch of free play before anything happens. is that about what you are having?

Vehicles
      MK4 R-32 / H3 / 911
      08-22-2019 07:40 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mikeysentra View Post
      I had a spongy pedal and after a good flush and bleed my pedal is rock solid. I do have a bit of travel before the brakes grab though, almost like 1/2-3/4 of a inch of free play before anything happens. is that about what you are having?
      I have more travel than your 3/4" maximum. I would guess my pedal travel is maybe two inches, maybe a little less.
      Because it is so much more than my other vehicles is what has me concerned and noticing this difference.

I have read that the vacuum leak from the booster can cause a similar problem.
      And I am not quite sure how to check for a vacuum leak by myself and I do not trust the dealer.
      And honest good brake mechanics are hard to find.

Vehicles
      MK4 BMP R32; MK6 Golf TDI Stage 3 (Sold)
      08-22-2019 09:08 AM #6
      I can take a picture of the vacuum line I was referring to later. I know Charles replaced his in one of his videos too.

Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line, 2014 Tiguan SEL
      08-23-2019 04:20 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by wfturner View Post
      I have more travel than your 3/4" maximum. I would guess my pedal travel is maybe two inches, maybe a little less.
      Because it is so much more than my other vehicles is what has me concerned and noticing this difference.

I have read that the vacuum leak from the booster can cause a similar problem.
      And I am not quite sure how to check for a vacuum leak by myself and I do not trust the dealer.
      And honest good brake mechanics are hard to find.
      Keep this posted if you find anything. I will also look for a vacuum leak on the booster hose and see if I come up with anything. After driving mine today I would second guess my 1/2-3/4 inch of travel to more like 2 inches.
      04 R32, BMP, Stock with only KONI shocks and H&R Sport Springs. 175k miles and counting.

Vehicles
      MK4 R-32 / H3 / 911
      08-23-2019 12:32 PM #8
      Keep this posted if you find anything. I will also look for a vacuum leak on the booster hose and see if I come up with anything. After driving mine today I would second guess my 1/2-3/4 inch of travel to more like 2 inches.
      2 inches is about my pedal travel, making mw think it may all be in my head.
      But I do remember a harder pedal at some time.

I took a look at the vacuum line that runs from the intake to the brake power booster and it seems fine, but the attachment point at the booster seems very loose. I am also wondering about the condition of my check valve in this vacuum line.
      Ordered one of these OEM vacuum lines (1J0612041FL)

I am not in the habit of throwing parts at a problem, but I am willing to do this for now.
      I checked out Charles YouTube site and saw no specific R32 vacuum line change
      We'll see what happen with my new part

Thanks for your help

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2004 DBP R32
      08-23-2019 12:49 PM #9
      I went through my R32 last fall refreshing quite a few things. One of the things we found was the vacuum line was cracked right next to the clamp holding it to the intake manifold (the reason I took my r32 in). From there I had them check every plastic and rubber hose and ended up replacing several.

Jimbo

Vehicles
      MK4 R-32 / H3 / 911
      08-23-2019 05:45 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by JIMBO ROBERTS View Post
      I went through my R32 last fall refreshing quite a few things. One of the things we found was the vacuum line was cracked right next to the clamp holding it to the intake manifold (the reason I took my r32 in). From there I had them check every plastic and rubber hose and ended up replacing several.

Jimbo
      You didn't mention whether you had a similar brake pedal problem related to the cracked vacuum line ? Yes ?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      UK 2003 Mk4 R32
      09-03-2019 03:51 PM #11
      I am original owner of my R32. Since 2003.
      I also have too much travel.

I believe a decent bleed might cure it.. I have always bled the brakes myself. Maybe I've done something wrong over the years .

U can also try bleeding the 2 bleed nipples under the brake reservoir .

The Tyrol sport bushes I fitted back in 2005.
      They will not reduce pedal travel at all. That notion is incorrect .

They only allow the calipers to stay true and square . That means the pads wear evenly .
      This does not reduce or change pedal travel. It cannot do that . So don't go buying them to expect a miracle cure. Your problem lies somewhere else.

My guess is air somewhere. Much like my car!

Vehicles
      MK4 R-32 / H3 / 911
      09-03-2019 05:55 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Gti Fly View Post
      I am original owner of my R32. Since 2003.
      I also have too much travel.

I believe a decent bleed might cure it.. I have always bled the brakes myself. Maybe I've done something wrong over the years .

U can also try bleeding the 2 bleed nipples under the brake reservoir .

The Tyrol sport bushes I fitted back in 2005.
      They will not reduce pedal travel at all. That notion is incorrect .

They only allow the calipers to stay true and square . That means the pads wear evenly .
      This does not reduce or change pedal travel. It cannot do that . So don't go buying them to expect a miracle cure. Your problem lies somewhere else.

My guess is air somewhere. Much like my car!
      Just read your reply.
      I was not aware of the two bleed screws under the brake reservoir.WOW.
      When I power bled my brakes (twice) I was extremely careful and never let the master cylinder run low, much less dry.
      Perhaps I will attempt this bleeding one more time and bleed the two screws under the master cylinder.

Thanks from mentioning those two screws

15. Member
      Vehicles
      UK 2003 Mk4 R32
      09-03-2019 06:45 PM #13
      Strange how the lhd cars don't have bleed nipples on the reservoir but the rhd cars do ??