VWVortex.com - Automotive tablet thoughts, OBDEleven users report within (Xtool vs OBDEleven).
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Automotive tablet thoughts, OBDEleven users report within (Xtool vs OBDEleven).

Vehicles
      Sonoma S-15, Mark 3 Caddy, Audi A4, 71 CL175, 71 CB350, 69 Stinger, V-Twin Chopper, A4 SC'd Avant,
      08-18-2019 08:54 PM #1
      Tablet: There's a good chance I'm going to be running M-Dash on a ~permently placed Android based tablet (what's M-Dash? Think Tourqe app, aka live readouts). This is new territory as I've never owned, operated or handled tablets not alone not savvy if screen refresh rates & things of that nature are valid anymore.

Aside from the apps hardware/software requirements, is there particular features I should adher to for an automotive based tablet? (aka, look for heavy anti-glare features, tablets with accelerometer, inclinometer, etc, etc)

OBDEleven Pro: I noticed many compliments about many not receiving their 200 credits upon purchase of a pro, yet neither the vendor or OBDEleven answered this when I contacted them. Anyone have any insight?

Per older reviews, I saw mention of "recieving a credit a day for logging in a day on their app", with more credits given if you watch their ads. Anyone know if this still applies?

Are credits used when simple code scans and deletes are performed? How about adaptations (throttle body adaptations)? Or are credits only for custom code changes?

OBDEleven Pro vs X-Tool VAG 401: I'm not concerned with addressing door chimes, cabin dim light times, etc and more privy on fault codes and adaptations...any thoughts on the two vs each other?
      FS:Custom '73 CB350 Museum Piece, 8 miles FS:3 Piece I-Forged 19" Rims
      FS:Custom '69 Stinger: SOLD FS:10' VTWIN Chopper SOLD :

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 A4 Avant
      08-19-2019 12:01 PM #2
      Ran a Nexus 7 in my car for about 6 years, took it out a month ago as it finally said it had enough of being in that type of environment (heat / cold extremes). Things I would absolutely recommend.... an anti-glare screen protector, a way to retain (assuming your car has them) steering wheel controls. Trying to navigate a tablet screen while driving is (IMO) only marginally better than texting while driving, no feedback from the screen means that even something simple like changing the volume will have you looking at the screen way longer than you should be. Assuming you are leaving the tablet in there semi-permanently, make sure you get a decent power supply for it, I ran a DCDC-USB which charged my tablet nicely as well as provided power to a USB hub in the glovebox.

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      08-19-2019 12:24 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by The A1 and A2 German View Post
      Tablet: There's a good chance I'm going to be running M-Dash on a ~permently placed Android based tablet (what's M-Dash? Think Tourqe app, aka live readouts). This is new territory as I've never owned, operated or handled tablets not alone not savvy if screen refresh rates & things of that nature are valid anymore.

Aside from the apps hardware/software requirements, is there particular features I should adher to for an automotive based tablet? (aka, look for heavy anti-glare features, tablets with accelerometer, inclinometer, etc, etc)

OBDEleven Pro: I noticed many compliments about many not receiving their 200 credits upon purchase of a pro, yet neither the vendor or OBDEleven answered this when I contacted them. Anyone have any insight?

Per older reviews, I saw mention of "recieving a credit a day for logging in a day on their app", with more credits given if you watch their ads. Anyone know if this still applies?

Are credits used when simple code scans and deletes are performed? How about adaptations (throttle body adaptations)? Or are credits only for custom code changes?

OBDEleven Pro vs X-Tool VAG 401: I'm not concerned with addressing door chimes, cabin dim light times, etc and more privy on fault codes and adaptations...any thoughts on the two vs each other?

OBDEleven Pro: I didn't get the credits when I signed up so I contacted them and they did a thing on their end and then I had the credits. IDK why it happens but at least they fixed it for me. Not sure about credits for ads, I really only used it when I first got my A6 and haven't needed more credits.

Scanning codes and clearing them is free. Code changes cost credits. I used credits to make a few changes like to turn on the sweeping gauges on start-up like the S6 has, turn on adaptive brake lights (brake lights flash if I brake harder than a certain threshold like panic braking), to display what gear I'm in in the cluster next to the drive mode (so D1 to D8 if in drive and in 1st to 8th gear, or S1 to S8 for Sport mode, M1 to M8 for manual, etc. instead of only being able to see D S or M), etc.

No experience first-hand with X-Tool VAG tho so I can't help you there.

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      08-19-2019 12:48 PM #4
      I haven't used either of those so I can't comment but I will mention something I've noticed on the Torque Pro. Maybe it's the bluetooth or my phone or the app but the live data and stats have a slight delay from when it occurs to when it shows up on the app. Check to make sure those other apps or hardware don't have a similar issue.

Vehicles
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      08-19-2019 12:58 PM #5
      I've been using OBDEleven Pro for about 3 years now and have had no issues with it. It's heavily dependent upon your network connection though, so if you want it to be fast make sure you've got a good connection.

I haven't used the credits I got, because longcoding is not hard and there are thousands of how-tos out there for using VCDS/OBDEleven.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.