VWVortex.com - APR vs Unitronic tune for GLI
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: APR vs Unitronic tune for GLI

1. Junior Member
      08-19-2019 01:11 AM #1
      I searched all different terms and got zero results. Im not sure if the search is working for me so sorry if this has been covered a million times.

Im looking to get a ECU and TCU tune this week for my 2016 GLI. Im looking to run 93 octane with the rest of the car stock. According to the websites APR stage 1 and UNI stage 1+ are very close. Dealers for both are about one hour from me in different directions. I dont mind driving that far but I wish they would just sell a flash loader like others. I was dead set on uni since you can flash it yourself but then I learned you still have to get the initial flash done at the dealer so Id still have to drive there.

Do you guys have first hand experience with the GEN 3 GLI tunes from these guys? What is the difference? Boost, gas milage, shifting, reliability, anything you guys know please let me know. The uni has a 150 off coupon making it 950 for stage 1+ and stage 1 TCU. APR is 600 each no discount making it 1200. Is the APR worth the extra? Searching around on other sites I find a lot of discussion about GTIs or golfs but now much on the GLIs comparing the two tunes.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-19-2019 01:37 AM #2
      I hope someone will answer for you becuse I'm very curious my self to witch is a better outcome

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 gli autobahn/with nav mt
      08-19-2019 07:02 AM #3
      i have 2016 gli with unitronic.
      i did not have to go to dealer,and did it at home.
      don't know where you got that from.
      i have a '12 gli with a giac tune.
      they are about the same.
      this issue has been covered a million times.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 Jetta GLI M/T (his), 2017 Jetta SE (hers)
      08-19-2019 10:08 AM #4
      I have a 2017 GLI. This topic has been debated countless times, and when the Vortex's search doesn't work right (it never has for me); a Google with site:forums.vwvortex.com after your search terms works 100% of the time.

My local performance shop does APR and all of the people who I know that have gone APR through them are all happy with their choice.

I went Unitronic due to the ability to tune myself. I live in a different state than I reside in (grad school), so the ability to go out to the parking lot with a book and a cup of coffee, flash my car back to stock then drive to the dealer for an inspection or whatever is a great convenience. Compared to making an appointment to get my car reflashed, driving to get my inspection done, and then making another appointment to go back to being tuned.

Both companies are tried, tested and have countless users/ reviews. You literally cannot go wrong with either choice, it all comes down to a matter of preference and usability.

7. 08-19-2019 03:25 PM #5
      Been on uni stage2 tune & dsg from about 18,000miles, currently 55k miles.. No problem what so ever... I’m in the same boat. Tune from my own garage with uniconnect..

8. 08-19-2019 05:20 PM #6
      Well, I guess I'll through in a monkey wrench lol

I have a 17 GLI with a AEM cold air, RaceChip throttle responder, and a Burger Tuning JB4 piggy back tuning system.

It's a piggy back system, so there is no flashing of any sort. You plug the harness in-line with the current engine harness and then plug it in to the OBDII port. The beauty of the JB4 is you can turn off the tune, use vale mode, use the 91 or 93, etc. Or you can customize it yourself. Whats really nice is you can use Map 1 and you get 4lbs over stock, but you can run 87 up to 93 octane with it. The unit will self adjust depending on the octane used. I love the system and simply for the ease of use and the ability to change the tune on the fly (App on your phone if you have the bluetooth module). Plus, if you sell the car, you can just disconnect the unit and sell it.

Just another option...

9. 08-19-2019 10:25 PM #7
      HPA

10. Junior Member
      08-19-2019 10:51 PM #8
      Delete
      Last edited by Nillious; 08-19-2019 at 10:53 PM.

11. Junior Member
      08-19-2019 10:52 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by wilson pickett View Post
      i have 2016 gli with unitronic.
      i did not have to go to dealer,and did it at home.
      don't know where you got that from.
      i have a '12 gli with a giac tune.
      they are about the same.
      this issue has been covered a million times.
      right off of Unis site.

CAN ALL ECU’S BE FLASHED VIA THE OBD-II PORT?
      No, all ECU types cannot be flashed via the OBD-II port. Bosch Motronic MED17, EDC17, and Siemens SIMOS 8 ECUs found in the latest generations of Volkswagen®, Audi®, Porsche®, Seat®, and Skoda® vehicles cannot be flashed via the OBD-II port upon initial installation of Unitronic performance software. These ECUs require to be removed and flashed on the bench using Unitronic Boot Pin flashing equipment and procedure. This procedure is roughly a 2-hour process and can be done at any Authorized Unitronic Dealer or Unitronic’s Headquarters. After the MED17 ECU has been removed and flashed with Unitronic Performance Software, future updates or upgrades can be performed via the OBD-II port.

I guess I figured this mean I had to go to the dealer the first time. My bad.
      Last edited by Nillious; 08-19-2019 at 10:56 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLI / 07 Rabbit
      08-20-2019 08:47 AM #10
      APR has been good to my GLI. On the Highway about 33mpg, city 24mpg(When wifey is riding along) By myself, then numbers would be lower LOL. All in all great product, others have other software for their reasons. Plus my dealership down the street is an APR tuned dealer, so with any updates or something to look it, its not an issue. Their services are great. In which that will make it or break the deal.
      | APR Stage 2 | APR C.F. Intake | APR Intercooler | APR Down pipe |

13. Forum Sponsor John@Unitronic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      MK3 TTRS
      08-21-2019 11:18 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Nillious View Post
      right off of Unis site.

CAN ALL ECU’S BE FLASHED VIA THE OBD-II PORT?
      No, all ECU types cannot be flashed via the OBD-II port. Bosch Motronic MED17, EDC17, and Siemens SIMOS 8 ECUs found in the latest generations of Volkswagen®, Audi®, Porsche®, Seat®, and Skoda® vehicles cannot be flashed via the OBD-II port upon initial installation of Unitronic performance software. These ECUs require to be removed and flashed on the bench using Unitronic Boot Pin flashing equipment and procedure. This procedure is roughly a 2-hour process and can be done at any Authorized Unitronic Dealer or Unitronic’s Headquarters. After the MED17 ECU has been removed and flashed with Unitronic Performance Software, future updates or upgrades can be performed via the OBD-II port.

I guess I figured this mean I had to go to the dealer the first time. My bad.
      This is NOT the case with the 2.0TSI Gen3 ECU's, which use a SIMOS 12 (early Gen3's) or SIMOS 18 ECU (later Gen3's). You can tune it at home, without needing to visit an Authorized Dealer.
      UNITRONIC — Performance Software & Hardware for your VW® /Audi® / Porsche®
      Web: GetUNITRONIC.com | Tel: (866) 341-2447
      Follow us on: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

14. Junior Member
      08-21-2019 10:45 PM #12
      I just got my car flashed today. I was unaware I could flash from the get go with uni. I tried and tried to contact TPG tuning just outside of pittsburg to get the uni flash done. I messaged them on facebook, called all different hours of the day, emailed, left two voice mails with them. I never heard anything since last wednesday. I called up APR dealer Next level Tuning also in the area. He answered and got me squeezed in this morning. He said my car was the first non MK7 car with the Simos 8 that he has flashed. He also took long to flash than normal as well. So I guess in this case the dealer made the decision for me.
      Last edited by Nillious; 08-21-2019 at 11:02 PM.