VWVortex.com - Should I upgrade the turbo?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Should I upgrade the turbo?

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GSW tornado RED!!!!
      08-19-2019 05:00 AM #1
      I have an opportunity to get a good deal ($60 with 15,000 miles) on an IS20 turbo. it is worth the time to replace the stock IS12 unit?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2018 Golf AllTrack
      08-19-2019 05:05 AM #2
      For 60$ hell yea... with that turbo there is additional things that will need to be done however 60$ is a cheap start to the process.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      18' GSW 4M & 04' R32 & 14' ST3
      08-19-2019 08:03 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by stadawg View Post
      I have an opportunity to get a good deal ($60 with 15,000 miles) on an IS20 turbo. it is worth the time to replace the stock IS12 unit?
      If you don't take it, let me know and I will... It's a steal and a no-brainer at that price, if there's no damage of course.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 08-19-2019 12:04 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by crzygreek View Post
      If you don't take it, let me know and I will... It's a steal and a no-brainer at that price, if there's no damage of course.
      Heck I’ll take it too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      VW
      08-19-2019 12:22 PM #5
      Do it! And grab a JB4 while you're at it (or APR, although I've been seeing some threads regarding EPC lights and wastegate issues. Could be hardware related or software... not sure.)

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW S 5MT, 2012 Routan SE 6AT
      08-19-2019 01:52 PM #6
      Replacing the Turbo is what? A 6-8 hour job? Then you need $600 tuning for it to work along with a couple supporting mods , intercooler, intake, down pipe , exhaust and clutch upgrade. Depending on your driving and expectations, this may or may not be worth it. I drive mostly for economy so in my case, the IS12 is perfect. That said for $60... I’d say if nothing is wrong with it buy that sucker, upgrade the clutch only after the stock one fails. $350 -$400 is the normal going price for a used IS20 Turbo in great condition.
      Last edited by Phil37; 08-19-2019 at 01:55 PM.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      VW
      08-19-2019 02:20 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil37 View Post
      Replacing the Turbo is what? A 6-8 hour job? Then you need $600 tuning for it to work along with a couple supporting mods , intercooler, intake, down pipe , exhaust and clutch upgrade. Depending on your driving and expectations, this may or may not be worth it. I drive mostly for economy so in my case, the IS12 is perfect. That said for $60... I’d say if nothing is wrong with it buy that sucker, upgrade the clutch only after the stock one fails. $350 -$400 is the normal going price for a used IS20 Turbo in great condition.
      IS20 in a 1.8t doesn't require any supporting mods. If you're manual, sure, you'll have to worry about the clutch. Otherwise, there are no other support mods needed besides the turbo and a tune (or a JB4).

The 1.8t has supposedly the same/roughly same volume as the factory GTI intercooler https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20329, so unless you're really ragging on the car for heatsoak to matter or you live in a really warm/hot area, not needed for daily driving with couple of pulls here and there. Intake upgrade isn't necessary unless for sound. Exhaust upgrade is also not necessary unless for sound. Downpipe isn't required unless you want more torque or going bigger than an IS20.
      Last edited by Derussi; 08-19-2019 at 02:23 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW S 5MT, 2012 Routan SE 6AT
      08-20-2019 09:38 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Derussi View Post
      IS20 in a 1.8t doesn't require any supporting mods. If you're manual, sure, you'll have to worry about the clutch. Otherwise, there are no other support mods needed besides the turbo and a tune (or a JB4).

The 1.8t has supposedly the same/roughly same volume as the factory GTI intercooler https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20329, so unless you're really ragging on the car for heatsoak to matter or you live in a really warm/hot area, not needed for daily driving with couple of pulls here and there. Intake upgrade isn't necessary unless for sound. Exhaust upgrade is also not necessary unless for sound. Downpipe isn't required unless you want more torque or going bigger than an IS20.
      In that case, I’d definitely take the IS20 if it’s in good condition. There’s enough YouTube videos out there to help with the Turbo exchange. $60? That’s a steal. The cheapest one I’ve ever seen was $250.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Wagen 6MT 4MO
      08-20-2019 11:51 AM #9
      If wastegate/actuator in great shape as well as turbo not abused, that price is ridiculously low. Go for it.

12. 08-20-2019 12:10 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil37 View Post
      In that case, I’d definitely take the IS20 if it’s in good condition. There’s enough YouTube videos out there to help with the Turbo exchange. $60? That’s a steal. The cheapest one I’ve ever seen was $250.
      Agreed. I slept on one and regretted getting it. However if you’re going to to do it yourself and you have all the tools and a friend to help - totally worth the price. I have a lot of the tools required and somewhat experience with dismantling an engine and I’m still a little hesitant to pull the turbo off. If you haven’t pulled anything off your car or played with it I suggest you go to a tuner they will charge $700 to install it. The last thing you want is a yellow light on your dash and going into limp mode.

You’ll need the gasket kit that’s sold from ecs/usp or other online tuner for sure. $700 was the price from AWE tuning, That’s here in SoCal. At that point I would say you are looking at an Aftermarket tuner tune from Unitronic/apr/giac so add in another ~ $600. When you upgrade a major engine component the ECU can play a large role in taking advantage of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GSW tornado RED!!!!
      08-21-2019 03:01 PM #11
      Thanks for all of the replies! Unfortunately that one sold. The guy actually had another one, supposedly with 10000 miles for $90. Sold also. I have a JB1 and was planning on doing the work myself.

Maybe next time...