VWVortex.com - Tune/code out cold start?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 23 of 23

    Thread: Tune/code out cold start?

    1. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2016
      Location
      The Nation's Capital
      Posts
      1,860
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      08-19-2019 08:02 AM #1
      A buddy of mine has a BRZ. He was able to disable the loud and high revving cold start on his car. When he cranks it, it idles low like a warm start.

      The cold start on my car is annoyingly rough with random misfires (I think). I wait about 60 secs to let it settle before driving off because the car drives weird while it is still doing that.

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      '17 Oryx R DSG | APR Stage 2 93 HT v2.6 | APR TCU | APR DP | APR Intake | APR IC w/ boost pipes | APR Exhaust w/ AWE remote | APR A01 Wheels 19x8.5 | Ed's Reps 7.5 tails

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. 08-19-2019 08:05 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by biglilsteve View Post
      A buddy of mine has a BRZ. He was able to disable the loud and high revving cold start on his car. When he cranks it, it idles low like a warm start.

      The cold start on my car is annoyingly rough with random misfires (I think). I wait about 60 secs to let it settle before driving off because the car drives weird while it is still doing that.

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      Fix the problem instead of trying to mask it.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2016
      Location
      The Nation's Capital
      Posts
      1,860
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      08-19-2019 08:10 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by vw-lover View Post
      Fix the problem instead of trying to mask it.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Sure. What's the problem though? The car doesn't throw any codes and the idle is completely smooth after the 60 second cold start period.

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      '17 Oryx R DSG | APR Stage 2 93 HT v2.6 | APR TCU | APR DP | APR Intake | APR IC w/ boost pipes | APR Exhaust w/ AWE remote | APR A01 Wheels 19x8.5 | Ed's Reps 7.5 tails

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member A3SBQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 26th, 2013
      Location
      Norway
      Posts
      222
      Vehicles
      Audi A3 2.0TSI quattro + DSG
      08-19-2019 08:50 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by biglilsteve View Post
      Sure. What's the problem though? The car doesn't throw any codes and the idle is completely smooth after the 60 second cold start period.

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      Take it to VW?

      Sent fra min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 25th, 1999
      Location
      San Angelo, Texas
      Posts
      3,296
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat gone 2008 R32 gone -2016 Golf R
      08-19-2019 09:02 AM #5
      I thought 2017s got an update for the high idle miss issues.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 22nd, 2016
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      2,493
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      08-19-2019 09:23 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Urlik View Post
      I thought 2017s got an update for the high idle miss issues.
      Before the update my car had horrible rough starts (so bad it triggered CEL's lol), now its just mildly annoying rough starts after the update. Like OP after 30 seconds its smooth and normal. OP if you haven't had the update definitely get it.

      I'd be curious on suggestions on things to try. Plugs are new, gap is correct, new engine air filter, oil is fresh, everything torqued correctly, etc.

      Dealer was mostly useless when i was triggering CEL's, without that or codes they're going to just say it's within normal operating specs.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2016
      Location
      The Nation's Capital
      Posts
      1,860
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      08-19-2019 10:00 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Ecsta View Post
      Before the update my car had horrible rough starts (so bad it triggered CEL's lol), now its just mildly annoying rough starts after the update. Like OP after 30 seconds its smooth and normal. OP if you haven't had the update definitely get it.

      I'd be curious on suggestions on things to try. Plugs are new, gap is correct, new engine air filter, oil is fresh, everything torqued correctly, etc.

      Dealer was mostly useless when i was triggering CEL's, without that or codes they're going to just say it's within normal operating specs.
      Unfortunately seems like that update is a moot point for me since I am tuned. My faith in APR making some sort of adjustment is not too strong.

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      '17 Oryx R DSG | APR Stage 2 93 HT v2.6 | APR TCU | APR DP | APR Intake | APR IC w/ boost pipes | APR Exhaust w/ AWE remote | APR A01 Wheels 19x8.5 | Ed's Reps 7.5 tails

    10. 08-19-2019 11:33 AM #8
      Interesting.
      The cold start misfire is not so much a new issue, but I went from having a 30 second cold start idle to a 60 second cold start idle with more misfires 3 weeks ago after I made a longer than usual pull against a tuned 370Z.
      My specs are nearly identical to OP. My plugs are running slightly rich at the moment, probably from using the A/C non stop in summer time. Were on the leaner side in winter. Plugs are gapped at 0.22 and I am keeping an eye on the change. No codes whatsoever though.

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2016
      Location
      The Nation's Capital
      Posts
      1,860
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      08-19-2019 01:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
      Interesting.
      The cold start misfire is not so much a new issue, but I went from having a 30 second cold start idle to a 60 second cold start idle with more misfires 3 weeks ago after I made a longer than usual pull against a tuned 370Z.
      My specs are nearly identical to OP. My plugs are running slightly rich at the moment, probably from using the A/C non stop in summer time. Were on the leaner side in winter. Plugs are gapped at 0.22 and I am keeping an eye on the change. No codes whatsoever though.
      Wow! Exact same thing happened to me. It used to be ~30 secs max. And now it is the better part of a minute.

      I will say I believe it lengthened around the time I got a CEL for a (potentially failing) heated O2 sensor. I cleared the CEL and it hasn't returned, but maybe there is something there.

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      '17 Oryx R DSG | APR Stage 2 93 HT v2.6 | APR TCU | APR DP | APR Intake | APR IC w/ boost pipes | APR Exhaust w/ AWE remote | APR A01 Wheels 19x8.5 | Ed's Reps 7.5 tails

    12. Senior Member Vegeta Gti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2003
      Location
      konoha village, hawaii
      Posts
      21,384
      Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R
      08-19-2019 01:07 PM #10
      .22" ??? That's ****ing huge..... you should check that.

      Go to rs7 plug, oem gap or .002" smaller

      Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

    13. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 22nd, 2016
      Location
      Toronto
      Posts
      2,493
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      08-19-2019 01:46 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
      Interesting.
      The cold start misfire is not so much a new issue, but I went from having a 30 second cold start idle to a 60 second cold start idle with more misfires 3 weeks ago after I made a longer than usual pull against a tuned 370Z.
      My specs are nearly identical to OP. My plugs are running slightly rich at the moment, probably from using the A/C non stop in summer time. Were on the leaner side in winter. Plugs are gapped at 0.22 and I am keeping an eye on the change. No codes whatsoever though.
      Stock tune with stock plugs everyone seems to recommend between .028" to .032". I can't remember what the exact recommended number is but when i changed mine i gapped them all to .030"

      Removing the old plugs two were slightly above 0.03 and two were slightly below. Probably the dealership trying to fix my CEL misfires. Maybe check the gap on your current plugs.

      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      .22" ??? That's ****ing huge..... you should check that.

      Go to rs7 plug, oem gap or .002" smaller

      Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      Maybe stupid question but if i'm getting a slightly rough idle minor misfires at startup that go away after 30 seconds idle.. Should i increase the gap to 0.032" or reduce it to 0.028"? I'm completely stock (no tune and no jb4/etc).

    14. 08-19-2019 03:20 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by biglilsteve View Post
      Wow! Exact same thing happened to me. It used to be ~30 secs max. And now it is the better part of a minute.

      I will say I believe it lengthened around the time I got a CEL for a (potentially failing) heated O2 sensor. I cleared the CEL and it hasn't returned, but maybe there is something there.

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      I had the 30 second cold crank idle since the car was new, purchased November 2016 as a 2017 model. Now has 45K+ miles and is my daily.
      Never deviated from the 30 or so seconds for all that time, summer or winter (FL Winter temps are 50F at best). I am curious now if I would have a super long cold crank idle in winter though.
      I am thinking it could potentially be the O2 sensor heater myself. I had a similar issue on my MK4 years ago. So far no cel though and VCDS tests show all pretty good so we'll see.

      Two other things I have pending are.
      1. Inspect the downpipe (APR) for cracks, but it has been on for 1 1/2 years and rock solid so far+it has a non cracked 034 dogmount insert.
      2. spark plugs have been gapped twice now and I will be changing them in the next 4K miles or so. Car is running a little bit rich lately so I am keeping an eye out. Runs better up top, but idle could be closer to 0%. In any case STFT & LTFT are about -3% & +6% (w/ AC use). I'd love to test adaptation without the A/C but it is crazy hot in FL for that right now.

    15. 08-19-2019 03:43 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti View Post
      .22" ??? That's ****ing huge..... you should check that.

      Go to rs7 plug, oem gap or .002" smaller

      Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      Meant 0.022 btw.
      In any case.

      These were my DD values.
      I ran 0.032 on stock plugs for about 2K initial stock miles. was good.
      Went 0.030 at Stage 1 on stock plugs for 10K miles. was good. Tried Brisk at 0.028 too cold, a bit rich, no like.
      IKH24 at 0.028 at Stage 1 was good at 10K-25K miles. was Perfect.

      Went APR ST2+FBO at 25K+ using IKH01-24 at 0.026 was perfect.
      Added Haldex tune at 35K+ miles and was getting slight blow out on cold weather at 0.026, slightly lean so I went 0.022 closer to APR recommendation.
      Plugs had over 10K miles by then. Now have about 20K.

      Use is daily and IKH01-24s are colder but burn well considering due the position of the ground strap.

      I am no expert though so always open to feedback from similar setups, but I have been reviewing the plugs and pistons every-time I have a change to.
      Now in Summer with the A/C on all of the time, and traffic as it is stock plugs would probably be good but with more highway use or less traffic, 1 step colder would be the ideal I think. I'd use the IKH24 all the time if they lasted a little bit more.

      never tried the RS7s though.

      new IKH01-24 come gapped at 0.027 if I am not mistaken.

      Regardless of the issue (or not) at hand, cold morning idle does get considerably better the hotter the plug.
      Last edited by Mosquito; 08-19-2019 at 04:29 PM.

    16. Senior Member Vegeta Gti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2003
      Location
      konoha village, hawaii
      Posts
      21,384
      Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R
      08-19-2019 07:56 PM #14
      I never had any cold start misfires until they updated my car while I was in for warranty work lol. Bastards.

      Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

    17. 08-20-2019 10:21 AM #15
      I might add that OBD11 & VCDS show soft misfires and with the downpipe they are audible, but my RPMs are steady so there is no stumbling. Let alone any codes.
      2-5 misfires on cold start crank, depending on cylinder. It is not bad at all considering plugs are a colder range and at this point, a bit worn too.

    18. 08-20-2019 11:01 AM #16
      Correct me if I'm wrong and I don't want to hijack the thread in any way but...

      I have a 2019 completely stock with under 2K miles. Every time I start it, the engine sits at about 1200 RPM and makes a noticeably louder noise. After about 30-60 seconds (I think it's usually the same everytime) it goes down to about 900 RPM and quiets down. I have not experienced any misfires at all yet.

      I thought this was completely normal as my previous Audi did the exact same thing. Is there something I should be looking into with this?

    19. Senior Member Vegeta Gti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2003
      Location
      konoha village, hawaii
      Posts
      21,384
      Vehicles
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R
      08-20-2019 11:10 AM #17
      That's called warm up and it's a good thing.

      Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

    20. Member KevinC's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 1999
      Location
      Hereford, AZ
      Posts
      10,901
      Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      08-20-2019 12:58 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by EatThatLunchBaby View Post
      I have a 2019 completely stock with under 2K miles. Every time I start it, the engine sits at about 1200 RPM and makes a noticeably louder noise. After about 30-60 seconds (I think it's usually the same everytime) it goes down to about 900 RPM and quiets down. I have not experienced any misfires at all yet.
      Sounds totally normal, and exactly like my '16 behaves. The "quiets down" is because the secondary air pump has shut down after 30 seconds or so, as it should.

      '16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 10th, 2016
      Location
      The Nation's Capital
      Posts
      1,860
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      08-20-2019 01:30 PM #19
      Can anyone tell me why my cold start is over a minute long now? Used to be the normal 30 seconds.

      Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      '17 Oryx R DSG | APR Stage 2 93 HT v2.6 | APR TCU | APR DP | APR Intake | APR IC w/ boost pipes | APR Exhaust w/ AWE remote | APR A01 Wheels 19x8.5 | Ed's Reps 7.5 tails

    22. Member VAG Admirer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 24th, 2001
      Posts
      892
      Vehicles
      17 Golf R, 92 Gti, 05 Jeep LJ, 64 Jeep FJ6
      08-21-2019 01:31 AM #20
      The first winter with my 17R it would idle up for a minute or two then come down. Fast forward to the latter part of the second winter and it would rev up higher than normal and would not
      come down till the temp gauge was reading full operating temp. Even then sometimes I had to rev it up manually to kick it down (like an old carbureted vehicle). Took it in to the dealership
      with a video showing I wasn't making this up. Of course they found nothing wrong with it. Told me without a fault code there is nothing they could do. They recommended the update. Even though
      I highly doubt it will address the issue. Not sure if I should even bother with the update because I've never had the misfire issue.
      Another VW thread derailed by one in a long list of insecure TCL tools.

    23. 08-21-2019 11:13 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by VAG Admirer View Post
      The first winter with my 17R it would idle up for a minute or two then come down. Fast forward to the latter part of the second winter and it would rev up higher than normal and would not
      come down till the temp gauge was reading full operating temp. Even then sometimes I had to rev it up manually to kick it down (like an old carbureted vehicle). Took it in to the dealership
      with a video showing I wasn't making this up. Of course they found nothing wrong with it. Told me without a fault code there is nothing they could do. They recommended the update. Even though
      I highly doubt it will address the issue. Not sure if I should even bother with the update because I've never had the misfire issue.
      Cold crank warm up idle to full operating temp is insane long, unless the heater is on right off the bat too and super cold out, but still.
      Could it be that the coolant is going through the engine on cold and not being held back for a faster warm up? I know mechanical water temp sensors close for a faster warm up and open once the desired immediate block temperature is reached, but they can stick open or closed after years and once coolant begins to loose some of its properties. I don't know exactly how these cars do it though, but turning on the heater first thing changes the routing and will initially dissipate heat prolonging the warm up time.

      In any case. You don't seem to have codes and neither do I.
      I'm gonna look to see what options VCDS can provide to test some of this stuff...

    24. 08-22-2019 09:54 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by drocpsu2 View Post
      This is my car’s “cold” (summer cold) start from this morning. Sound like yours? It always sounds a bit rough to me, but it only lasts about 30 seconds or so. SB stage 3 clutch chatter heard at the end. Haha

      http://<a href="https://youtu.be/r84...84VBcAq1kI</a>


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Link doesn't work.

    25. Member drocpsu2's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 13th, 2016
      Location
      New Hampshire
      Posts
      216
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      08-22-2019 01:07 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
      Link doesn't work.
      I ended up deleting it. Not working well and I noticed the sound cut out a few times during it anyway. Will need to re-record one.
      2016 Golf R 6MT | Lapiz Blue | UM Stage 2 | VMR600 Intake | CTS Downpipe | SB Stage 3 DD clutch | Spulen Short Shifter w/ BFI knob

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •