VWVortex.com - Someone needs to hear this.. Clean behind your fenders!!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Someone needs to hear this.. Clean behind your fenders!!

Vehicles
      01 Audi A4 2.8Q, 93 VW Corrado SLC, 04 Audi S4, 88 VW Scirocco 16v, 99 Volvo V70 T5, 1990 Volvo 780
      08-21-2019 02:55 PM #1
      I've had a crack in the undercoating between the "rocker" and the bottom of the fender with a hideous orange cancer seeping out for quite some time.

Today I decided to peel back the undercoating and take a look.

Too be honest I was a bit terrified because I had forgotten that the fender comes down this far and I thought this was unibody damage.

Check out the crud behind the finder liner. Presumably it's been holding moisture and causing my cancer!

My main focus is the unibody. The fender still functions fine and bolts up, it just needs cleaned up and eventually replaced.

Fender removed, really not so bad. I'm going to hit this with a wire wheel and a bit of sandpaper. I'll use some rust-reformer, primer and fresh LiquiMoly undercoating.

Any better suggestions? I'm far from an expert. I'd love to use POR-15 but you can't get it on the shelf and I'm not interested in waiting for it in the mail.

On a side note, TONS of leaves and mounds of dirt stuck on top of the frame rail under the fender. I don't think this fender has ever been removed. The screws at the bottom of the fender were still covered in what looked like OEM undercoating. If you're interested in weight reduction, pulling your fenders off and removing 10lbs of dirt is a great start.

Sent from my TA-1052 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      01 Audi A4 2.8Q, 93 VW Corrado SLC, 04 Audi S4, 88 VW Scirocco 16v, 99 Volvo V70 T5, 1990 Volvo 780
      08-23-2019 04:16 AM #2
      Upon closer inspection it looks like someone had been behind here before. Once I knocked off the surface rust I found a stupid hard shiny black surface. "Reformed" rust?

I cleaned up the fender and unibody. I applied a zinc primer and some undercoating over the top. I'll have a nice hole there until I replace the fender, but it's certainly better than it was.

Sent from my TA-1052 using Tapatalk