VWVortex.com - WTF - 6 error codes on a one day old 2019???
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WTF - 6 error codes on a one day old 2019???

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      08-21-2019 10:51 PM #1
      Flatbed's on the way to haul my brand new DSG to the dealer. Picked it up less than 24 hours ago, drove it home (with a grin on my face!) but about an hour ago went to hop in to drive to pick up dinner and she lit up like a Christmas tree.

• Fault: Brakes
      • Error: Electronic parking brake
      • Front assist not available
      • Only exit vehicle in P position.
        Please service vehicle.
      • Error: Adaptice Front Lighting System (AFS)
      • Fault: Suspension

Engine will start, but under protest - keep the start button held down rather than just push it. Zero power steering, so obviously don't particularly wanna drive it the 40 miles to the dealership on our dodgy roads around here.

Any thoughts on what to expect? Sales wonk I spoke to claims "Ahh, its probably nothing, I bet it just needs to have fault codes cleared because of something that was skipped during PDI" but I sure as ****e am not so sure, and am hoping that this is a one-off incident rather than the first of a lifetime of headaches with the car...
      Last edited by ubermick; 09-20-2019 at 02:26 PM.
      Currently Driving: 2019 Indium Grey R DSG - Take II (First was a lemon)
      Gone but not forgotten: 2014 Audi S4 Premium Plus / 2012 Audi A3 S-Line / 2003 Jetta 1.8T Stg. 1/ 2002 Jetta 1.8T that tried to eat a tree
      Gone and best forgotten: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with more gremlins than an 80s movie marathon

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

08-21-2019 11:04 PM #2
      Not sure how much value this has, but for the past two years I worked in a position where we prepared vehicles for the auto shows here in Canada. I was essentially the first person in the country to see thousands of units varying by make and model.

What you’re describing isn’t a PDI issue. Transport mode doesn’t carry these kinds of faults. I’d be asking for a full diagnosis and a clean bill of health with someone’s signature, or a swap. They’ll probably reflash the unit and “see if it does anything”. If you have VCDS and they do flash it, I’d scan it again and see what’s hidden. I have faults on my week old R as well but they’re either things I triggered through tweaking, or irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      08-21-2019 11:06 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by vicar View Post
      Not sure how much value this has, but for the past two years I worked in a position where we prepared vehicles for the auto shows here in Canada. I was essentially the first person in the country to see thousands of units varying by make and model.

What you’re describing isn’t a PDI issue. Transport mode doesn’t carry these kinds of faults. I’d be asking for a full diagnosis and a clean bill of health with someone’s signature, or a swap. They’ll probably reflash the unit and “see if it does anything”. If you have VCDS and they do flash it, I’d scan it again and see what’s hidden. I have faults on my week old R as well but they’re either things I triggered through tweaking, or irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yeah, I definitely figured there was no way that it was something that was "just overlooked". Crazy that it happened out of nowhere though - car was absolutely fine earlier, came back two hours later and yikes.

I'll be on the dealer/service centre like a fly on a poo tomorrow.
      Gone but not forgotten: 2014 Audi S4 Premium Plus / 2012 Audi A3 S-Line / 2003 Jetta 1.8T Stg. 1/ 2002 Jetta 1.8T that tried to eat a tree
      Gone and best forgotten: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with more gremlins than an 80s movie marathon

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      08-21-2019 11:13 PM #4
      My guess? Bad or simply discharged battery. Low voltage will cause all kinds of stuff like you're experiencing. Hopefully that's all it turns out to be, though shame on the dealership for letting it out the door that way if true - should have been caught in PDI one would think.

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R DSG DCC Nav+, 2019 Alas SEL-P
      08-21-2019 11:23 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      My guess? Bad or simply discharged battery. Low voltage will cause all kinds of stuff like you're experiencing. Hopefully that's all it turns out to be, though shame on the dealership for letting it out the door that way if true - should have been caught in PDI one would think.
      Yep was thinking the same...hope thats what it turns out to be

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      08-21-2019 11:26 PM #6
      I friggin' seriously hope so. Called the car link to setup the tow (hell, if I have it, might as well use it!) and the first thing he asked was if there was a chance I left lights on, etc. since it could be a low battery issue, but when I told him I could start the car he seemed to dismiss that.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      08-22-2019 08:40 AM #7
      Honestly i'd be willing to bet it's just a defective battery.

When my battery died unexpectedly my car lit up like a Christmas tree with all sorts of errors and faults.

They should have caught/tested it during PDI so i'd complain and ask for like a free/discounted oil change or something haha.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat gone 2008 R32 gone -2016 Golf R
      08-22-2019 09:17 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      This. Battery could have been killed after the PDI too.

11. Member
      08-22-2019 09:44 AM #9
      Ya I had crazy lights go off like this with constant beeping of errors when I left either my OBDEleven to drain the battery, or the car was left with the ignition on when scanning. Though I could have sworn it turned off...regardless battery

Vehicles
      7 Speed RGASM
      08-22-2019 12:24 PM #10
      If there's potential issues with how the PDI was completed make for damn sure they removed the strut pucks from the front suspension.
      2018 Golf R - mine, mine, all mine.
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      08-22-2019 03:47 PM #11
      From my service guy: "Spoke to the foreman, and its some kind of gateway issue, possible software issue were talking with vw to get best course of action ...hope to have more news soon"

Later with "they are having us check some ground points on the car to see if that is the issue"

and then finished the day with "we are not sure yet of the source"
      Last edited by ubermick; 08-22-2019 at 08:30 PM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      08-23-2019 01:36 PM #12
      Issue is apparently a failed suspension control unit. Not sure why that would have thrown everything else off, but fingers crossed its sorted.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-08-2019 04:40 PM #13
      FFS.

Got the car back, and has driven fine for two weeks. Yesterday, while out and about with my wife and daughter, driving in gentle town traffic at about 25mhp, the traction control light started flashing and the engine bogged down massively, just wasn't transferring any power to the wheels at all. Pulled over, took a breath, and pulled away - fine for about 20 yards, and then started again. Pulled over, killed the engine. Swore a lot, fired it back up... no problem. Drove back home, all good.

Texted my service guy at the dealership, and he said it was new to him, but to get it down. Searched on here, and spotted it was something that's happened to others, but seemed like a one off - it'd happen, disappear after a restart and not show up again.

Bought a new set of silver prets, so could get those swapped as well. Loaded up the wheels and headed out - got about 100 yards before stop/start error, ACC error, ESC error, and a few more besides. Car seemed to drive fine (a little more wiggly, but might have been in my head.) Drove it to the dealership, my tech got in the car and... no errors or problems.

I love this car when she's running, but three weeks old and its back under the microscope for electrical/computer faults.

Vehicles
      2016 MK7 Golf R
      09-08-2019 06:23 PM #14
      At first I was assuming the battery died and they jumped it, which throws a ton of errors but doesn't actually matter, just clear them out.

If you're having issues beyond that which it sounds like, just look into California Lemon Laws and make them buy it back if you qualify.

Vehicles
      2017 MkVIi Golf R
      09-08-2019 10:54 PM #15
      Time to check lemon laws in your state. I think they might be right about a bad ground somewhere but tracking that down is a bitch.
      2010 mkVI GTI (sold)
      2017 mkVII Golf R DCC

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-09-2019 02:01 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by jmblur View Post
      Time to check lemon laws in your state. I think they might be right about a bad ground somewhere but tracking that down is a bitch.
      Yeah, I'm very much leaning that way. They have another indium grey on the lot that my sales guy already mentioned that "if this keeps happening, we can just swap you into that". Given the engine more or less became useless on Saturday, coupled with the first round of error codes which made the car undriveable, I think I'm actually already qualified under CA lemon law (two or more attempts to repair a warranty problem that results in a condition that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven)

19. 09-09-2019 02:24 PM #17
      Lemon buy backs are not uncommon within the VW Golf R product line. I looked at a couple and passed.

I'd push to get the car swapped out.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R (DSG)
      09-09-2019 02:33 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
      "if this keeps happening, we can just swap you into that"
      Looks like the sales guy is willing to help. But just in case, I would probably get that in writing from the manager to avoid any potential hiccups. Regardless, you most likely have a lemon and will be protected under CA lemon law. I would try to push for the swap given you have a Vegas slot machine with all the lights and sounds rather than a reliable car. If the honeymoon period is already like this, imagine how it's gonna look 2 years down the line. The warranty is nice and all but your time can be better spent elsewhere instead of at the dealership.

21. 09-09-2019 05:57 PM #19
      Curious about the last 6 of your vin number..

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-09-2019 08:29 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by S3n View Post
      Curious about the last 6 of your vin number..

Vehicles
      2017 MkVIi Golf R
      09-09-2019 08:34 PM #21
      I'd talk to them about lemoning the car before you swap it. It may be better for them for you NOT to do that, which will mean an easier transaction for you - just make sure any tax implications are handled and they'll cover paperwork fees.

(They may want you to lemon it so VW has to take it back, just talk to them first)
      2010 mkVI GTI (sold)
      2017 mkVII Golf R DCC

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-10-2019 11:42 AM #22
      Appreciate the advice on it going forward. Was chatting with the wife about it last night and she's terrified of it now. "What if the engine decides to stop working again, only this time on the interstate instead of a quiet road where we can easily pull over? What if (our four year old daughter) is in the car and something bad happens?" Can't deny that wasn't in the back of my mind before, but now after talking with her it's moved up front now.

Still no word from the dealership on it, although finally started getting the car-net pings last night that my doors were (finally) opened.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Golf R; '14 Outback
      09-10-2019 12:22 PM #23
      I'd definitely be concerned.

Have you tried contacting VWoA directly about your issue. Having major issues starting day 1... that's pretty crappy.

I'd also consider mentioning lemon law buyback with your dealer just to get their initial take... seems like you've got a case for it. Might light a fire under them.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-10-2019 12:57 PM #24
      Just heard from the dealer:

"We have been in contact with the factory. No news yet but the data stream is a bit odd as its showing the car developed an issue after going 150 mph? I'm thinking that's a glitch..."

(Considering I'm still breaking the thing in and have yet to go above 4k RPM, I'd say so!)

27. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-11-2019 05:42 PM #25
      And today's update.

Car's ECU was completely cleared, so they could start with a "blank slate" and started up - immediately went bezerk again saying that it was going over the limited speed of 155mph, with traction control light going nuts. This was with the car parked and idling. So ECU has to be replaced, which has to be built/programmed in Germany, and won't be at the dealer for at least a week, likely two. They're also concerned that a wonky ECU was the cause of the initial failure of the suspension control module - flooding the system with errors and causing a cascading failure - so they're also concerned about the other control units in the car which might have gotten effected. When asked "If the ECU is replaced, will this fix the problem, and ensure that driving the car will not be a danger to myself or my family?" he couldn't say yes without first individually checking each of those systems which will mean more time in the shop.

Therefore I have a lemon?

As a VW employee he obviously couldn't pronounce it as such. When I asked about the process, he said that GENERALLY a car that's experienced the same catastrophic/dangerous failure on two occasions, coupled with a car being out of commission for 21 days are candidates for VW to buy back. However was warned that the buy back process could take up to 60 days from when it starts. (Less if they have a car on the lot which I'd take in exchange, but I'm likely still looking at two or three more weeks on top of waiting for the ECU to come in.)

In the meantime, I spoke to VWoA directly yesterday and my issue has been moved along to a regional case manager who'll be calling me by COB tomorrow. Service guy said this was a good thing.

Needless to say my Golf R experience so far has been a giant steaming pile of ****ing ****. I didn't even get this thing broken in to have any fun in.
      Last edited by ubermick; 09-11-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast