VWVortex.com - WTF - 6 error codes on a one day old 2019???
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WTF - 6 error codes on a one day old 2019???

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R (DSG)
      09-11-2019 07:48 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
      saying that it was going over the limited speed of 155mph
      Are you sure your wife wasn't secretly taking it to the drag strip?

Joking aside, it looks like both the dealer and VWoA are taking efforts to rectify this situation. You will most likely need to wait for the new ECU since it's still too early to lemon it. From my observations on the forums, it looks like the 19s seem to have more issues than the 18s even though they are the same car. Your situation definitely sucks and it does sour the experience. Hopefully this will get sorted out soon and then you can really appreciate what this car can do. In the meantime, is the dealer willing to give you a loaner? Either while you are waiting for the ECU or the buyback period? Or both?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-11-2019 08:28 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Evil View Post
      Are you sure your wife wasn't secretly taking it to the drag strip?
      Bwaaaaahahahahaha!

So the first time the car was at the dealer, when they replaced the suspension module and called it fixed, my wife picked it up since she had the loaner car and the dealer is close to her work. She came home with the BIGGEST grin on her face and said "OH MY GOD THAT CAR IS AWESOME!" That said, I doubt she was going 155 in there, even though she drives past the track on the way home!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Evil View Post
      Joking aside, it looks like both the dealer and VWoA are taking efforts to rectify this situation. You will most likely need to wait for the new ECU since it's still too early to lemon it. From my observations on the forums, it looks like the 19s seem to have more issues than the 18s even though they are the same car. Your situation definitely sucks and it does sour the experience. Hopefully this will get sorted out soon and then you can really appreciate what this car can do. In the meantime, is the dealer willing to give you a loaner? Either while you are waiting for the ECU or the buyback period? Or both?
      Yeah, should be noted here that while the situation with the R absolutely sucks, my dealer and my service guy has been absolutely outstanding. I get a couple of texts each day checking in and giving me status updates, and both times we got a loaner. The first time, my sales guy even drove the loaner to my wife (I needed her car the following morning after the tow to get our kid to school, she caught a ride with a coworker) with all the paperwork pre filled out, and he took an Uber back to the dealer. Currently behind the wheel of a 2019 Passat. (Which is nice, but... I mean, y'know. Still a loaner.)

So massive shoutout to Mo and Matt at Sonnen VW in San Rafael, CA.

As to VWoA, the customer service lady I dealt with via email seemed very nice, but will see what happens when the rubber meets the road now that I have a case number - and at this point I have zero confidence in the car and deffo want it swapped out. I sure as hell don't want to be on the freeway with my daughter in the back seat and have this car decide randomly that I'm speeding and kill power to the engine...
      Currently Driving: 2019 Indium Grey R DSG - Take II (First was a lemon)
      Gone but not forgotten: 2014 Audi S4 Premium Plus / 2012 Audi A3 S-Line / 2003 Jetta 1.8T Stg. 1/ 2002 Jetta 1.8T that tried to eat a tree
      Gone and best forgotten: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with more gremlins than an 80s movie marathon

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R (DSG)
      09-11-2019 08:42 PM #28
      with the BIGGEST grin on her face and said "OH MY GOD THAT CAR IS AWESOME!"
      ANDDD that's how I got my wife to get on board with purchasing ours.

Good to know that Sonnen went to bat for you. I'll give them a visit next time I'm shopping for a car. You can always give it a shot and ask them if they will loan you the new Arteon and try out other toys while yours is out of commission. When it comes to VWoA, that is their standard procedure. There was a guy on here a month or two ago that had to go to them as well. It was a crappy situation but in the end, VWoA resolved the whole thing in a fairly good manner. It's just the legal and corporate hoops that they have to go through as part of their standard business practices. Your patience will pay off. In the meantime, you have the fastest car... in the world... (according to Top Gear) since it's technically a rental

5. 09-11-2019 09:05 PM #29
      Sorry to hear about your car.

I'm actually in a similar situation (brand new car has been out of service for 21 days and counting; needs a new engine, turbo, etc). I made it past first level customer care, regional care manager and now I'm on to the VW customer retention team.

If you've made it to the regional manager, he/she will probably start compiling all the work orders to pass along to the customer retention team. I was told it can take up to a few weeks to compile the info and for the retention team to decide whether or not to proceed. If they do proceed, you will no longer be working with the regional case manager and will be dealing exclusively with the retention team. Hopefully, this goes well...

I also spoke to a few lemon law attorneys in CA and most were willing to take up a case after I take the car in a 3rd time (the more repair attempts, the stronger the case). Some attorneys said they would take the case if the car has been out of service for 30 days. If a lemon law suit is brought up, I was warned it could take up to 3 to 4 months to resolve. Further, they mentioned that arbitration wasn't a good option. I was told that in most cases, the arbitrator will rule for the company. Luckily, this isn't binding and you can still initiate a lemon lawsuit if it comes to that.

Good luck!

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-11-2019 11:26 PM #30
      Jesus!

Well, I wouldn't expect a lawyer (lemon or otherwise) who wants your business to tell you differently about whether or not their involvement will help. They're definitely going to tell you to lawyer up. A friend of ours is an attorney, so I informally reached out to them the other night and while they didn't specialize in lemon law, they got back to me the next day telling me that if it persisted it was an "open and shut case" so to speak. Probably depends on where you are in the country, California's lemon laws seem to be weighted on the side of the consumer (but what do I know.)

One thing that definitely seemed to get their wheels turning was the statement "Can you promise that the repair won't endanger me, my wife, or my child" because if it happens again with my family in the car, and my daughter so much as gets the tiniest booboo, then so help me god I will come at VW like a goddamn wolverine!
      Last edited by ubermick; 09-12-2019 at 11:37 AM.
      Gone but not forgotten: 2014 Audi S4 Premium Plus / 2012 Audi A3 S-Line / 2003 Jetta 1.8T Stg. 1/ 2002 Jetta 1.8T that tried to eat a tree
      Gone and best forgotten: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with more gremlins than an 80s movie marathon

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R (DSG)
      09-12-2019 01:38 PM #31
      they got back to me the next day telling me that if it persisted it was an "open and shut case" so to speak.
      ^ What they said. Whether or not to lawyer up at this stage is just a thought, but in the meantime just remember to document everything so that you will have plenty of ammunition should anything go sideways (and not in the fun drifting sense).

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-12-2019 06:47 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by dc6 View Post
      I'm actually in a similar situation (brand new car has been out of service for 21 days and counting; needs a new engine, turbo, etc). I made it past first level customer care, regional care manager and now I'm on to the VW customer retention team.

If you've made it to the regional manager, he/she will probably start compiling all the work orders to pass along to the customer retention team. I was told it can take up to a few weeks to compile the info and for the retention team to decide whether or not to proceed. If they do proceed, you will no longer be working with the regional case manager and will be dealing exclusively with the retention team. Hopefully, this goes well...
      Well, spoke to my RCM today, and basically asked what I wanted to do/what he could do for me. Explained the situation, and said I'm not confident in the car and would like it replaced. So he called and left a message with my service guy, and just like you said explained that once he gets what they need from the dealer, the decision process will take up to 15 days, after which he'll call and say that they're proceeding with the warranty repair or that someone from retention will be calling me.

Since you're on retention, then that means your buyback/replacement is approved, so curious as to how long all that takes you. From what my RCM said, there's no guarantee that the offer I get from VW will be what I want/need to get me into the same car, which kinda boggles my mind.

9. 09-12-2019 07:53 PM #33
      Hope it works out for you. FYI, I added any additional information (photos, etc.) to my case by emailing VW customer care with the case number in the title. They will append all your emails to the file for review.

Since I'm on retention, does it really mean the buyback/replacement is approved? The RCM wouldn't tell me anything. He said he doesn't know what decision is and that I have to wait for the call. It would be really bad if I went through all this for a coupon for an oil change or something.

At any rate, I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I found an advocacy group that has additional potential avenues to get resolution if the retention team doesn't come through. They have emails of executive chain at VWoA and strategies on how to contact them. Not sure if this will work though and I hope I don't have to go that route.

If they do give me a replacement, I'll let you know how long it takes. I found about 10 cars identical to my car in the area (some that have been on the lot for over 80 days). Hopefully VW can work something out.

Well, spoke to my RCM today, and basically asked what I wanted to do/what he could do for me. Explained the situation, and said I'm not confident in the car and would like it replaced. So he called and left a message with my service guy, and just like you said explained that once he gets what they need from the dealer, the decision process will take up to 15 days, after which he'll call and say that they're proceeding with the warranty repair or that someone from retention will be calling me.

Since you're on retention, then that means your buyback/replacement is approved, so curious as to how long all that takes you. From what my RCM said, there's no guarantee that the offer I get from VW will be what I want/need to get me into the same car, which kinda boggles my mind.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-12-2019 09:44 PM #34
      Since I'm on retention, does it really mean the buyback/replacement is approved? The RCM wouldn't tell me anything. He said he doesn't know what decision is and that I have to wait for the call. It would be really bad if I went through all this for a coupon for an oil change or something
      From what my RCM told me, at the end of the review process he'd call me and say one of two things: "We've decided to proceed with the warranty repair, and will work with the dealer to get you back in the car as quickly as possible" or "Your case has been referred to customer retention, and a representative will be in touch within the next 72 hours." One or the other, where the first is "You're keeping your car and we're fixing it" or "We agree that sufficient evidence exists that your car could suffer from lifelong issues and we'll work to get you sorted."

So second does mean you're at least beyond where they're going to say "Tough ****, you're dealing with it." That said, end of the day VW is a corporate entity, and their loyalty is going to be profit and shareholders. They'll do what they can, but to a point. Like yourself, I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. My RCM certainly indicated my situation was an open and shut case, but I went to great pains to say repeatedly that my concern with my car isn't inconvenience with it being off the road for any particular time, but that I will NOT own a car that could potentially be a danger to my family. (My wife has already said she won't ride in *that* car again.)

11. 09-12-2019 09:51 PM #35
      Out of curiosity did you approve any warranty repairs or did you tell them to hold off on the repairs until you speak with customer retention?

One of the lawyers I spoke to told me to go ahead and approve the repairs because if I didn't, that would basically show that I'm not giving VW the opportunity to fix the car and that would work against me in a potential lemon law claim.

From what my RCM told me, at the end of the review process he'd call me and say one of two things: "We've decided to proceed with the warranty repair, and will work with the dealer to get you back in the car as quickly as possible" or "Your case has been referred to customer retention, and a representative will be in touch within the next 72 hours." One or the other, where the first is "You're keeping your car and we're fixing it" or "We agree that sufficient evidence exists that your car could suffer from lifelong issues and we'll work to get you sorted."

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-12-2019 10:00 PM #36
      Out of curiosity did you approve any warranty repairs or did you tell them to hold off on the repairs until you speak with customer retention?

One of the lawyers I spoke to told me to go ahead and approve the repairs because if I didn't, that would basically show that I'm not giving VW the opportunity to fix the car and that would work against me in a potential lemon law claim.
      My service advisor let me know that VW will proceed with the repairs regardless since they're not going to write off a three week old $45k car without making a serious effort to fix it. At the very least, if the replacement goes on longer than hoped, VWoA would likely have me back in the original car until the replacement was sorted.

When I talked to the RCM I told him that I'd be fine getting my car repaired as long as I get a guarantee at the end of it that the issue is fully repaired and that the car won't still have issues that could cause a danger to me or my family. (Which does mean I'm not getting behind the wheel of the original if a replacement happens)

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-15-2019 01:46 PM #37
      My service advisor let me know that VW will proceed with the repairs regardless since they're not going to write off a three week old $45k car without making a serious effort to fix it.
      That said, a week after calling for a new ECU from the mothership, it hasn't been sent to the dealer yet and my service guy still has no idea when it arrives.

Talked with my sales guy today - few people have advised reaching out to the dealership GM to see if they can do the swap and then deal with VW directly themselves. (VW would buy the car back off them). He seemed to think that VW will go ahead with the ECU repair, and only if that failed would they go for a replacement, but sure go ahead an email the GM anyways, see what happens.

Last edited by ubermick; 09-15-2019 at 04:48 PM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-17-2019 03:37 PM #38
      Phone call from VWoA yesterday to give me an update that there is... no update. Still no paperwork/service history received from my dealer. My service advisor still has no clue if the replacement ECU has been sent to them, or when it'll get there. GM of the dealership promises that the fix will be done 100% right or they won't release the car out of safety, but has no more info on anything beyond that.

Is my car being repaired or replaced? Don't know.
      If it's being repaired, how long will it take? Don't know.
      If it's being replaced, how long will it take? Don't know.

Nice one, lads. I'll keep making my payments, you keep doing your thing.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Golf R; '14 Outback
      09-17-2019 04:06 PM #39
      I assume you and the dealer are both counting the days until you hit lemon law...

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-17-2019 06:24 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by pnwbrdr View Post
      I assume you and the dealer are both counting the days until you hit lemon law...
      I was hoping my dealer and/or VW would step up prior to it getting to that point, since the car has spent a grand total of just 12 days on the road so far. Already past the point of it being in the shop longer that I've driven it, but to get to "official CA lemon law" levels its 30 days. (A bit more than two weeks.) Mind you, given the fact that the replacement ECU is nowhere to be found and with no eta, chances are the 30 day mark will come and go before I see it again anyways. Compare that to a buddy of mine who bought a Triumph motorcycle last year, had issues after three weeks, and the dealer showed up in their truck next day, loaded his one onto it and wheeled a brand new replacement back into his garage, had him sign two forms, and that was that.

Swear to @#[email protected] the auto industry has to be the only sector in the world that pulls this crap. Most everyone else: "We're really sorry we sold you a defective product sir, we'd like to offer you a replacement or a refund, and our apologies for the inconvenience." The auto industry? "Oh, the car you bought from us crapped the bed after 24 hours? Keep bringing it to a dealer indefinitely, and we'll keep flinging crap at it in the hope that it'll work."

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-19-2019 07:31 PM #41
      Today's update. My VW RCM called me this morning to tell me that they finally got the service/warranty paperwork from my dealer last night. They'll go over them and I should expect to hear back by October 3 on whether or not they're going to proceed with repairs, or escalate to customer retention - but said given what he's seen of my situation, I should expect to hear sooner.

Called me back 45 minutes later to tell me to expect a call from customer retention, and said it was the fastest decision he's come across. So that's nice.

Meanwhile, dealer still has no idea as to when the ECU will ship, let alone arrive - 12 days after ordering from the factory. Requests on his end for any sort of eta have been greeted with "we don't know." which is all he's able to pass on to me.

18. 09-19-2019 11:37 PM #42
      Im assuming they gave you a free loaner right?
      Thanks for the updates 👍

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-20-2019 03:13 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by S3n View Post
      Im assuming they gave you a free loaner right?
      Thanks for the updates 👍
      Yeah, I’m currently puttering about in a loaner Passat. Which gets me from A to B...

...just not as quickly as I’d like.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-24-2019 03:42 PM #44
      Hooray! Just made my first payment today. Still no word from VW, and still no ETA from my dealer. (I kinda get the impression from them that they're not overly bothered about getting it fixed at this point, given I've let them know I'm pushing for replacement)

21. 09-24-2019 07:04 PM #45
      How many days has it been ?

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-26-2019 04:41 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by S3n View Post
      How many days has it been ?
      To be fair, a lot fewer than some people I've seen. But called me yesterday afternoon - rep was nothing but polite and apologetic (can't repeat enough, been really impressed with everyone I've spoken to about it between my dealer and VWoA). Offered replacement or repurchase, went for repurchase since the replacement would have to come from the factory and take twice as long (actually far longer since the factory doesn't have any left, so would have to be built in Germany and be shipped over and as soon as the paperwork is processed, I'd lose the loaner car). Should be two more weeks or so from getting the paperwork in, and then back to the dealer for another one.

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      09-26-2019 05:21 PM #47
      To be fair, a lot fewer than some people I've seen. But called me yesterday afternoon - rep was nothing but polite and apologetic (can't repeat enough, been really impressed with everyone I've spoken to about it between my dealer and VWoA). Offered replacement or repurchase, went for repurchase since the replacement would have to come from the factory and take twice as long (actually far longer since the factory doesn't have any left, so would have to be built in Germany and be shipped over and as soon as the paperwork is processed, I'd lose the loaner car). Should be two more weeks or so from getting the paperwork in, and then back to the dealer for another one.
      What a pita, but for what it's worth, you killed it on timing. I went through a buy back on our 2018 Atlas, and a replacement on our 2019 Arteon. First one took 90+ days. Second one took 40+ days. Your case involving safety is the dead stop. That's why they bought our Atlas back finally. They couldn't put in writing that the ABS module failures they caused as a result of the cockpit replacement, wouldn't endanger my family.

The thing that sucks, is that they always go the corporate route and put you through the burecratic ringer until it's finished. Luckily your car was basically new, because plenty of people are upside down on their buy back offers after all that work. And when it comes to replacements, since they have to be unallocated vehicles, and nearly every vehicle at the port is pre-allocated, that tends to take forever, for which you are on the hook for transportation but your vehicle is disabled.

I lost confidence in the brand. Even though they eventually do right, it's the fact that I know they don't want to in the end which hurts the most.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat gone 2008 R32 gone -2016 Golf R
      09-26-2019 06:28 PM #48
      Replacement would have been impossible anyway. The factory is making Mk8s now.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-26-2019 07:32 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      What a pita, but for what it's worth, you killed it on timing. I went through a buy back on our 2018 Atlas, and a replacement on our 2019 Arteon. First one took 90+ days. Second one took 40+ days. Your case involving safety is the dead stop. That's why they bought our Atlas back finally. They couldn't put in writing that the ABS module failures they caused as a result of the cockpit replacement, wouldn't endanger my family.

The thing that sucks, is that they always go the corporate route and put you through the burecratic ringer until it's finished. Luckily your car was basically new, because plenty of people are upside down on their buy back offers after all that work. And when it comes to replacements, since they have to be unallocated vehicles, and nearly every vehicle at the port is pre-allocated, that tends to take forever, for which you are on the hook for transportation but your vehicle is disabled.

I lost confidence in the brand. Even though they eventually do right, it's the fact that I know they don't want to in the end which hurts the most.
      That sucks you've had that experience - two in two years? Jesus, I can see why you've lost faith. From our standpoint, I've owned nothing but VAG vehicles since I could drive (with the exception of a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee I leased in a fit of me attempting to be "responsible"!) and this is the first one I've had trouble with. And again, the folks at VW have been 100% pleasant and apologetic. My case going from whining to them on Twitter to a buyback offer in writing took 14 days. I think in terms of timing, by the time the buyback is completed and my bank is reimbursed (and I get my deposit check back) it'll be 40+ days total as well. As of today, I've owned the car for 38 days, 13 of which the car was functioning (includes the day I drove it home from the dealer) and I'm looking at another 14-21 days for them to process the buyback, issue the checks, and wait for delivery and the bank to be cleared.

The thing went pop with just 48 miles on the clock and only has 620 on there right now. But you're right, the safety is what did it for sure. I reached out to VWoA on September 11 (as soon as my service advisor told me about the ECU and the possibility its compromised other electrical modules). And since then my story has been with both the dealer and VW - look, the inconvenience sucks, but it is what it is. I'll take the car back but only if you put in writing that the repair performed fixes the problem, and the car won't be a danger to me and my family. Understandable they wouldn't do that for me or for you, opens them up to humongous lawsuits.
      Last edited by ubermick; 09-26-2019 at 07:48 PM.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      09-26-2019 07:36 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Urlik View Post
      Replacement would have been impossible anyway. The factory is making Mk8s now.
      Threw in a cheeky request for one of those "Hey, if it has to be built from the factory, does that mean I'd get a 2020 Mk8?" at which point she paused, had a think, and said "4-6 month delivery is probably optimistic then, but you could have the first of the Mk 8s when they're released over here, whenever that happens?"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast