Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Quarter Panel Damage on Brand New R

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Golf R
      08-22-2019 02:28 PM #1
      I bought a 2019 Golf R on Saturday, and within 24hrs some as***** hit me as I was turning onto the freeway from behind and the left. I didn't even have 100 miles on the car, and it's already in the body shop.

My main question/concern is what sort of damage could have been done? I'm worried that there could be frame, suspension and/or damage to the drivetrain on that wheel because of where the impact was. It is getting inspected by the insurance company today, but any tips, advice, etc would be much appreciated to put my mind at ease.

I can't even describe how pissed off I am, and if my brand new baby has anything more than bodywork damage, I'm not sure what to do...

Part of the reason I'm so worried is that my previous car was in an accident and sent to a Geico-approved shop who put the WRONG axle on the car, leading to transmission fluid leaking and ultimately ruining my transmission which brought me to my new R.

I don't want to be cruising Mulholland and worrying in the back of my head that some noise will pop up, or there will be some sort of catastrophic failure...

Last edited by F11.20; 08-22-2019 at 02:31 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG 2014 Porsche Cayman S
      08-22-2019 03:18 PM #2
      Ouch, sorry to hear that. I pick up mine next week and if that happened I would be extremely upset.

I am sure they can fix it good as new, the problem is that "accident" will now show up on your car fax and will hurt your resale or trade value in the future. You can try to get an adjustment for that in the settlement from their insurance company. I would want an even $1,000 on top of the repair for my trouble.

Good luck.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Past: 07 Jetta GLI APR Stage 1 Current: 17 Golf R MT
      08-22-2019 03:24 PM #3
      Less than 100 Miles ouch!

Hopefully no major issues arise with the car.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Golf R
      08-22-2019 03:27 PM #4
      Thanks for the reply.

That is definitely one of the gazillion concerns I have, but never thought to ask the attorney about it. You think it would only decrease the value by $1k? I'm not even sure the f*ckhead had insurance. He told me he didn't have his DL, registration or insurance so I guess I'll have to wait and see. I do have UM coverage (as you need in SoCal unfortunately).

I know I sure as hell don't want them to cut the quarter panel out with the SKU/VIN not matching...

Vehicles
      7.5 R
      08-22-2019 03:54 PM #5
      Ugh, stuff like this sucks.

First off, do some research in your area and pick your own body shop. Insurance approved shops are given insanely short time limits to finish cars and as a result cut corners. Figure out who the local car guys trust with their bodywork.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by futur View Post
      who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca
      Scraped.Crusaders. l the.final.offset l flickr

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 R DSG FBO JB4
      08-22-2019 03:56 PM #6
      I had similar damage when an SUV swiped my rear quarter panel. The shop made her look like new. If you need an alignment make sure they have a good shop to do it. My car is lowered and they took it to some crap shop. I could immediately feel that it wasn't right and instead of trying to get them to get it right I went to my brother that works at a local VW shop and had him fix it. He said it was way off and I found a scratch around the opposite QP where the shop must have got it with something while trying to do the alignment.

Yours is probably too new for many of these worriers, but if you have any customization that might make things confusing for newbs make sure to point them out. I have the BFI DSG knob and when I got it back it was all jacked up because someone tried turning it instead of lifting up to shift into drive. Now anytime I take it to a ship I put a sticker that says Pull Up on the shifter.

Vehicles
      2016 Oryx White Golf R (DSG, DCC, DAP)
      08-22-2019 04:16 PM #7
      Regarding diminished value - every state is different, but here in GA I got 850 for just a bumper fascia replacement with zero damage to anything else... 1k sounds low for a brand new vehicle, but depends on state laws and such. Good luck!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      2016 Golf R - Oryx White with DSG, DCC, DAP, and DIY (APR Stage 2 undt TCU tune + lots of little things)

10. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Golf R
      08-22-2019 04:31 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by .Mad Hatter. View Post
      Ugh, stuff like this sucks.

First off, do some research in your area and pick your own body shop. Insurance approved shops are given insanely short time limits to finish cars and as a result cut corners. Figure out who the local car guys trust with their bodywork.

I found a shop after driving around to a half dozen in the area that looked good and works on European cars, with good reviews online. It's not the shop Geico wanted me to go to, so hopefully that's a good sign.

If anyone has any good recommendations in the West LA area, please DM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominador
      I had similar damage when an SUV swiped my rear quarter panel. The shop made her look like new. If you need an alignment make sure they have a good shop to do it. My car is lowered and they took it to some crap shop. I could immediately feel that it wasn't right and instead of trying to get them to get it right I went to my brother that works at a local VW shop and had him fix it. He said it was way off and I found a scratch around the opposite QP where the shop must have got it with something while trying to do the alignment.

Yours is probably too new for many of these worriers, but if you have any customization that might make things confusing for newbs make sure to point them out. I have the BFI DSG knob and when I got it back it was all jacked up because someone tried turning it instead of lifting up to shift into drive. Now anytime I take it to a ship I put a sticker that says Pull Up on the shifter.
      I literally didn't even have time to get the windows tinted, let alone any customization

I guess alignment is one of those things I could expect to be a little off, due to the location of the damage and the fact that there were scuffs on the wheel there. I'm just hoping there's no damage to the tie rods/control arms or anything like that...

Quote Originally Posted by ShrekSquatch
      Regarding diminished value - every state is different, but here in GA I got 850 for just a bumper fascia replacement with zero damage to anything else... 1k sounds low for a brand new vehicle, but depends on state laws and such. Good luck!

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
      Sorry, but do you mean that I should ask for more than $1k for the value decrease?

Do any of you think that damage looks bad enough to warrant me freaking the f*ck out about suspension, drivetrain or frame damage??

Thanks again for the help.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      17"Golf R , 04".:R32 , 98" GTI Vr6 / previous cars 04" .:R32 RIP , 90" Corrado x2
      08-22-2019 06:43 PM #9
      Ok no bones about it, this sucks really sorry this happened to you.
      My previous GolfR got a very similar hit, even buckling up into the upper quarter panel worse than yours and they took out my passenger door.
      If the body shop is FACTORY TRAINED, make sure not just for VW but for Porsche and Audi and hopefully some exotics (Mazarati hopefully) Usually big dealer groups have one body shop they use or own. I took mine to Niello Collision here in Sacramento.
      The reason I say this is they can pull this out, it's not done!
      Just make sure it's at a good shop before they start the "pre-pulls" deal with the shop and your insurance.
      Enjoy the car the driveline and Haldex should be fine.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Golf R DSG
      08-22-2019 07:36 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by F11.20 View Post
      Thanks for the reply.

That is definitely one of the gazillion concerns I have, but never thought to ask the attorney about it. You think it would only decrease the value by $1k? I'm not even sure the f*ckhead had insurance. He told me he didn't have his DL, registration or insurance so I guess I'll have to wait and see. I do have UM coverage (as you need in SoCal unfortunately).

I know I sure as hell don't want them to cut the quarter panel out with the SKU/VIN not matching...
      $1,000 my fat hairy Irish ass.

My beloved S4 was rear ended by some ignorant dick on 580. Saw him in the rearview mirror, on his phone, and knew it was coming. Stuck in traffic, nowhere for me to go, was a horrible feeling KNOWING I was about to be hit. Laid on the horn, he looked up, too late... piece of crap Honda Accord in three different colors, no insurance, driving on a suspended license.

Anyways.

Prior to the accident, my car was worth about $36k. (Just shy of 3 years old, pristine, only 15k on the clock) After the accident, my car was worth $29k.

Get on the phone to your dealer, and explain the situation to him. Have him calculate the hit in value for you and get it in writing. (Basically trade in offers on the car new, vs after an accident) Slip that to your lawyer - its what I wish I would have done.

Regarding body shops, California law says an insurance company CANNOT direct you to a specific shop. Since this is a not-fault accident, look for the best shop you can find, and take it there. You're likely on the hook for the deductible (if the offending asshat doesn't have insurance) but are 100% entitled to having the car sorted to your satisfaction. Mine went to Barsotti's in San Rafael (north of SF) who are certified for VW, Audi, Porsche, Ferrari, Tesla... you name it.

Speaking of said asshat who didn't have ANY paperwork on him whatsoever - did you call the cops at that point? (Tell me you at least got photos of his car/plate?)
      Currently Driving: 2019 Golf R DSG
      Gone but not forgotten: 2014 Audi S4 Premium Plus / 2012 Audi A3 S-Line / 2003 Jetta 1.8T
      Gone and best forgotten: 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with more gremlins than an 80s movie marathon

13. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Golf R
      08-23-2019 02:36 AM #11
      Thanks for the condolences everyone. It's literally the worst feeling I've felt in a LONG time. This has been my dream car for years, and I've been busting my ass and saving like crazy to be able to get this for 5 years. This car is the physical manifestation of so much blood, sweat and tears and seeing it all fuc*ed up is something I wouldn't wish on anyone (except the assh*le that hit my car). And for some assh*le who cared so little he didn't even get out of the car, had no insurance, DL or registration (and wasn't inconvenienced in the least) just makes it all the worse.

The insurance adjuster FINALLY looked at my car today, after sitting in the lot collecting dust for 4 days. It looks like the only parts will be:
      Nameplate R (huh? I have no clue how that could have been damaged)
      Paint and clear coat

They quoted 38hrs of body labor, 16hrs of pain labor (seems like a lot) and 1hr of mechanical labor. Suspension alignment will be included in that. Looks like they won't be cutting into my baby and replacing the QP, which is a huge relief.

ShrekSquatch- Agreed, I don't know much but $1k sounds a little low for a brand new car with so few miles on it.

Nemesis-Brad- What do you mean by "factory trained"? Judging by the estimate, it looks like it can be pulled out and not have to be replaced, which is huge. Also, what do you mean by "pre-pull deals"? The only other time I've been through this was when my previous car was sent to a body shop that ended up doing the "repairs" and put the wrong axle on. That time, it didn't seem like I really had a choice, but luckily my R is at a shop that looks good from everything I've read online (though I wish I had more time to find a perfect shop, it looks pretty good).

PMubermick- So the car was devalued by $7k? That's insane. Was it purely because it was in a accident, or the sort of accident it was in? Regarding the dealer and all that, the car is leased (planning on a lease-to-purchase), does that matter at all?

I didn't call the cops. I was so shaken up and stuff that I wasn't really thinking clearly. It wasn't until he drove off that I realized I should and did. Luckily, I did get a photo of the plate which my lawyer had run and found out it was a rental. Of COURSE the car was not only a rental, but hardly damaged at all.

Vehicles
      16 VW Golf R MT /// 12 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      08-23-2019 02:43 AM #12
      Sorry to be a party pooper, but they'll have to cut out that whole q-panel at the roof line and weld a new one in. Paint that q-panel, rear bumper and blend the rear door and the roof. Honestly I'd trade it in as soon as it's done. Just too much of repairs on a brand new car for my taste.
      Last edited by TIGSEL; 08-23-2019 at 02:45 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
      I lubed it up really well. I got it in eventually but it was nothing like how they show in the video. Usually the case, but I'm friggin sore still!

15. 08-23-2019 08:35 AM #13
      These guys have helped me as well as others on vwvortex, with diminished value claims. They handle the claim from start to finish and it doesn't cost you a thing out of pocket. I was very happy with them.

ZBLLC.NET
      516-428-2392
      Ask for John

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Golf R Unitronic Stage 1/ 2009 370Z Techosquare ECU
      08-23-2019 09:24 AM #14
      That's sucked. California is still a wild west. Even with so many rules and regulations, people still do whatever they want. The guy who hit you, will probably walk away without any consequence, and you would probably pay more on your ins premium. That's California. Back to your lost, the quarter panel will be replace since your car is new. Hope you get your R on the road soon.
      2018 R Unitronic ECU/TCU Stage 1

Vehicles
      7.5 R
      08-23-2019 09:39 AM #15
      I assume that quote from the adjuster includes a lot of body filler. DO NOT ALLOW THAT. The double edged sword is that the only way to properly fix the damage is to cut out the quarter and weld in a new one as mentioned above. Not ideal but when done properly a hell of a lot better than body filler. Make sure the work gets done right and see how you feel about the car afterward.

who is fastest? if you guys didn't find out, what were you doing instead? patching floors? #mk3 #lulz # POR15 #umadbro #supercharger #thatsalottospendforjust8psi #justthetip #justkidding #noimnot
      podi.ca

Vehicles
      '04 .:R32 DBP
      08-23-2019 09:40 AM #16
      Hey, shoot me a DM. I am in auto insurance in SoCal and can help you with the whole process. I just went through it myself. I know all the best shops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Golf R
      08-23-2019 02:47 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by TIGSEL View Post
      Sorry to be a party pooper, but they'll have to cut out that whole q-panel at the roof line and weld a new one in. Paint that q-panel, rear bumper and blend the rear door and the roof. Honestly I'd trade it in as soon as it's done. Just too much of repairs on a brand new car for my taste.
      I spoke with the body shop today and looked at the start of the work. They assured me they'd be able to pull it out and not have to cut the QP.

Quote Originally Posted by appleman
      These guys have helped me as well as others on vwvortex, with diminished value claims. They handle the claim from start to finish and it doesn't cost you a thing out of pocket. I was very happy with them.

ZBLLC.NET
      516-428-2392
      Ask for John
      Are they an insurance company? Or body shop? Is it something in addition to my insurance claim?

Quote Originally Posted by ztorc
      That's sucked. California is still a wild west. Even with so many rules and regulations, people still do whatever they want. The guy who hit you, will probably walk away without any consequence, and you would probably pay more on your ins premium. That's California. Back to your lost, the quarter panel will be replace since your car is new. Hope you get your R on the road soon.
      Exactly right, and that is what is pissing me off so much. This as*hole is going to walk away from this both literally and figuratively with no consequences, and I'm the one saddled with all sorts of physical and psychological pain. I guess they found out the claim is not an uninsured motorist, but rather going to go to Enterprise's insurance company which means the fault will be contested which sucks because no matter how true a situation is, these insurance people can always find a way to twist everything against you.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mad Hatter.
      I assume that quote from the adjuster includes a lot of body filler. DO NOT ALLOW THAT. The double edged sword is that the only way to properly fix the damage is to cut out the quarter and weld in a new one as mentioned above. Not ideal but when done properly a hell of a lot better than body filler. Make sure the work gets done right and see how you feel about the car afterward.

What's body filler? The body shop is telling me they can fix it without having to replace the QP, but I didn't know to ask about body filler. What is it and why is it bad?

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 R DSG FBO JB4
      08-23-2019 03:48 PM #18
      I found a shop after driving around to a half dozen in the area that looked good and works on European cars, with good reviews online. It's not the shop Geico wanted me to go to, so hopefully that's a good sign.

If anyone has any good recommendations in the West LA area, please DM me.

I literally didn't even have time to get the windows tinted, let alone any customization

I guess alignment is one of those things I could expect to be a little off, due to the location of the damage and the fact that there were scuffs on the wheel there. I'm just hoping there's no damage to the tie rods/control arms or anything like that...

Sorry, but do you mean that I should ask for more than $1k for the value decrease?

Do any of you think that damage looks bad enough to warrant me freaking the f*ck out about suspension, drivetrain or frame damage??

Thanks again for the help.
      Mine was much worse with a destroyed wheel and I didn't have any major mechanical damage so hopefully you're as lucky there.

Vehicles
      7.5 R
      08-23-2019 04:00 PM #19
      What's body filler? The body shop is telling me they can fix it without having to replace the QP, but I didn't know to ask about body filler. What is it and why is it bad?
      You don't want something like Bondo used to level off the low spots. So instead of a smooth piece of metal you have essentially hardened silly putty underneath your paint. Not good.

I can't see anyone pulling out those creases without having to fill some spots with filler, the dents are too deep/sharp.

I think I would rather have the panel cut and welded.

podi.ca

Vehicles
      16 VW Golf R MT /// 12 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      08-23-2019 04:41 PM #20
      You don't want something like Bondo used to level off the low spots. So instead of a smooth piece of metal you have essentially hardened silly putty underneath your paint. Not good.

I can't see anyone pulling out those creases without having to fill some spots with filler, the dents are too deep/sharp.

I think I would rather have the panel cut and welded.

Agree. There is no way they can PDR that panel completely. There is going to be at the very least some Bondo for sure. If I had a choice I'd take some Bondo vs cutting the panel out.
      Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
      I lubed it up really well. I got it in eventually but it was nothing like how they show in the video. Usually the case, but I'm friggin sore still!

Vehicles
      08-23-2019 05:32 PM #21
      It is by far better to have a skim coat of filler (no legit shop uses actual bondo) ESPECIALLY since the factory uses filler to smooth out panel joints from new. If they cut out the panel and don’t PERFECTLY restore the corrosion protection, there will be rust issues for the rest of the car’s life.

Take a look at the $100k+ crazy restoration, most use a skim coat of filler to make the car perfectly straight. It isn’t silly puddy...

Vehicles
      7.5 R
      08-23-2019 05:41 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by guiltless View Post
      It is by far better to have a skim coat of filler (no legit shop uses actual bondo) ESPECIALLY since the factory uses filler to smooth out panel joints from new. If they cut out the panel and don’t PERFECTLY restore the corrosion protection, there will be rust issues for the rest of the car’s life.

Take a look at the $100k+ crazy restoration, most use a skim coat of filler to make the car perfectly straight. It isn’t silly puddy...

While what you're describing is fine at a proper shop, I would wager the vast majority of shops (especially those which are insurance company preferred) need to get the work done quickly and that usually means more filler and less pulling and straightening.

podi.ca

25. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Golf R
      08-23-2019 06:03 PM #23
      I appreciate everyone's advice.

Call me crazy, but it seems like cutting a huge chunk of my car apart and then welding it back together is the least desirable option. What is it about a small 1-2mm layer of bondo (or whatever actual brand it is) that is so bad, since it is only basically the outer shell of the car, right? Just curious because I've never really been through this before.

FWIW, this shop doesn't really advertise insurance companies like some. There's no Geico rep sitting at a desk all day at this place. They told me that they prefer to not cut stuff apart and pull dents whenever possible, even if it takes them longer. I'm not sure if they're just selling me a bill of goods, or what. They said when you cut a QP that the SKUs wont match and it isn't as preferable as pulling the dents.

Vehicles
      08-23-2019 06:13 PM #24
      While what you're describing is fine at a proper shop, I would wager the vast majority of shops (especially those which are insurance company preferred) need to get the work done quickly and that usually means more filler and less pulling and straightening.

When an insurance company has a preferred shop they they recommend, they are required to warranty that work for as long as the owner owns the car.

What it boils down to is the quality of the shop and the tech. Every shop is going to use filler, even if you replace a weld on panel, because you have to smooth out the weld zone. I have participated in a start to finish quarter panel replacement and it is only something you want as a last resort.

Vehicles
      7.5 R
      08-23-2019 06:33 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by guiltless View Post
      When an insurance company has a preferred shop they they recommend, they are required to warranty that work for as long as the owner owns the car.

Warranty is great. I want the work done right the first time and couldn't care less what the insurance company wants. The take away from my initial post was that the OP find a reputable shop.

podi.ca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast