VWVortex.com - Engine breaking?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Engine breaking?

1. 08-22-2019 07:07 PM #1
      has anyone had this problem? On my new GLI, when I drive, let go of the gas, I can feel the car slow down as if I was pressing the brakes lightly. It’s strange, never felt this with any other vehicle, almost like the car is engine breaking. I have the dsg automatic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 08-22-2019 07:22 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by am2733a View Post
      has anyone had this problem? On my new GLI, when I drive, let go of the gas, I can feel the car slow down as if I was pressing the brakes lightly. It’s strange, never felt this with any other vehicle, almost like the car is engine breaking. I have the dsg automatic

I noticed when going down a decline and you hit a certain speed it does this the rpms shoot up and it starts with the engine braking

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      08-22-2019 08:07 PM #3
      Just curious, with the automatic does the current gear show in the instrument cluster somewhere (more likely in the Autobahn with digital cockpit, but not sure about other cars). If so, that would be good indicator if the transmission was downshifting to provide some engine breaking.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 08-22-2019 08:50 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by am2733a View Post

Does it still do it in eco mode as well? I know sport mode will engine break, especially if you manually hold gears.

08-22-2019 10:04 PM #5
      Mine does this as well. Very annoying. Seems to do it less in Sport Mode. It also makes a banging sound when it downshifts.

Never felt this on the old 6 speed DSG boxes.

8. 08-22-2019 10:42 PM #6
      I’m usually in sport mode, and it happens more at very low speeds, driving through city. I have autobahn and I don’t see the current gear in my display

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 sage green Volkswagen Jetta SEL Premium
      08-23-2019 03:00 AM #7
      This is exactly what my 1.4 TSI SEL Premium does. And mine only has the Aisin 8 speed. Based on what others have told me, this is completely normal. Annoying, yes.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '19 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      08-23-2019 08:54 AM #8
      Sorry to be the pr!ck here, but it is engine “braking” not “breaking.” Engine breaking is why we have warranties. Engine braking slows the car by using the vacuum in the manifold to resist crankshaft rotation. With my 6MT, I find engine braking is weak compared to my previous V6-6MT combo. I guess with less displacement comes less vacuum when the foot is off the gas. When compared to a regular automatic trans, if the DSG holds the rpm higher it will increase the effect of engine braking. That might explain the difference between the GLI and other automatic cars.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
      08-23-2019 09:34 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 6MTGLI View Post
      ...Engine braking slows the car by using the vacuum in the manifold to resist crankshaft rotation. With my 6MT, I find engine braking is weak compared to my previous V6-6MT combo...
      Indeed (digressing from the DSG discussion), I find the braking provided by the engine to be least of any MT I've previously owned -- much less than my 1.8T for example. I attributed this to the very tall gears. On practically any city street (and even legally driving 55 mph when so restricted on highways), cruising RPM with the MT is less than 2000 RPM, and the coast down is quite gradual when lifting off the gas (and on any significant hill, doesn't even hold the speed and accelerates instead, requiring "real" braking). The old 1.8T was probably turning ~40% more RPM in any particular gear and the engine braking effect was much more pronounced.

It's still better than a torque converter automatic without some sort of computer-assisted gear down -- those things will coast practically forever.

(EDIT: Gah! Just experimented on a drive and even 2nd gear won't prevent the MT from accelerating down a hill at modest RPM. I wonder if this is some sort of engine/fuel efficiency thing?)
      Last edited by rsbaker; 08-23-2019 at 10:22 AM.

12. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta S
      08-23-2019 01:34 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by TSchuettinger View Post
      This is exactly what my 1.4 TSI SEL Premium does. And mine only has the Aisin 8 speed. Based on what others have told me, this is completely normal. Annoying, yes.
      Aisin makes the 8-speed automatic transmissions for us 2019 Jetta owners? Wow, those are good transmissions.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-23-2019 01:56 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by jblank View Post
      Aisin makes the 8-speed automatic transmissions for us 2019 Jetta owners? Wow, those are good transmissions
      For all US market, non GLI/GTI VWs, yes, Aisin is the supplier for their 6 and 8 speed auto trasnsmissions. Do keep in mind, those 8 speeds are the same ones that some earlier build MK7 Jetta owners complained of grinding noises and leaks. My June 2019 build with over 800 miles doesn't have either of those problems; it just behaves like the OP's DSG equipped GLI.

14. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta S
      08-23-2019 02:26 PM #12
      For all US market, non GLI/GTI VWs, yes, Aisin is the supplier for their 6 and 8 speed auto trasnsmissions. Do keep in mind, those 8 speeds are the same ones that some earlier build MK7 Jetta owners complained of grinding noises and leaks. My June 2019 build with over 800 miles doesn't have either of those problems; it just behaves like the OP's DSG equipped GLI.
      Mine's an October 2018 build and I don't have the grinding.....knock on wood.

15. 08-23-2019 03:38 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 6MTGLI View Post
      Sorry to be the pr!ck here, but it is engine “braking” not “breaking.” Engine breaking is why we have warranties. Engine braking slows the car by using the vacuum in the manifold to resist crankshaft rotation. With my 6MT, I find engine braking is weak compared to my previous V6-6MT combo. I guess with less displacement comes less vacuum when the foot is off the gas. When compared to a regular automatic trans, if the DSG holds the rpm higher it will increase the effect of engine braking. That might explain the difference between the GLI and other automatic cars.
      Your right, I meant braking. Good to hear it’s normal. Weird cus sometimes it happens and sometimes it’s fine.

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-23-2019 07:51 PM #14
      [QUOTE=jblank;113648129]
      Mine's an October 2018 build and I don't have the grinding.....knock on wood.[/E]

I'm starting to believe that noise was probably an assembly error. Because prior to purchasing mine, I test drove about 2 or 3 other ones, one was even pre-production and none made a noise. All I hear in mine and others are Tucson's notoriously ****ty roads. And on smooth surface, nothing but the engine reving when accelerating.

17. n00b
      Vehicles
      2019 Jetta GLI Autobahn DSG Pure Gray, 2002 Passat GLS Manual 1.8T Silverstone, 99 GrandAm, 96 Neon
      09-13-2019 10:54 PM #15
      I would say no engine braking (and actually the opposite). I've had some issues with un-synchronized downshifts meaning I'm not pressing gas or brake and the car is slowing down and it downshifts causing me to lurch forward. However, that is instantaneous and then as far as I can tell the engine is not causing me to "brake" beyond the initial lurch. However, I'd say the engine probably is still engaged and causing loss of speed as I don't think this vehicle has a concept of neutral until you are 100% stopped. By that I mean, when coming to a complete stop, no matter how much I feather the brake pedal the car seems to want to keep pulling forward causing me to come to an abrupt/lurchy stop. Keep in mind I've previously driven manuals for 2 decades so still getting used to automatic and the DSG may be even more different.

Vehicles
      '18 Alltrack SE, '71 Karmann Ghia, and wife's '19 Tiguan Limited
      Yesterday 10:37 PM #16
      I used to work as a Service Runner at Audi Richfield and I could always tell which ones had a DSG and which ones did not by the engine braking. DSG had it, everything else did not.
      Brad Spear
      Richfield, MN
      2018 Alltrack SE
      Wife's 2018 Tiguan Limited
      Our 1971 Karmann Ghia