Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Charlotte, NC?

1. Junior Member The_Spoonerman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2019 GLI Autobahn - Tornado Red
      08-23-2019 08:08 AM #1
      Hey all,

Recently traded in my 2014 Jetta S base model for a 2019 GLI Autobahn and am looking to get more into the car scene around here now, do some light mods, etc. Anyone else in the area have some pointers for a noob like me? Shops to recommend/avoid, places to drive, meetup groups, etc? I'd love to learn the ropes but don't really know where to start. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '05 1.8T GTI
      08-24-2019 11:40 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Spoonerman View Post
      Hey all,

Recently traded in my 2014 Jetta S base model for a 2019 GLI Autobahn and am looking to get more into the car scene around here now, do some light mods, etc. Anyone else in the area have some pointers for a noob like me? Shops to recommend/avoid, places to drive, meetup groups, etc? I'd love to learn the ropes but don't really know where to start. Thanks!
      The euro scene seems to be pretty dead around here- at least compared to when I lived in the PNW. As far as shops, Deutsche Auto in Huntersville is great and the guys at EuroWise seem pretty good and make lots of cool builds.

4. Junior Member The_Spoonerman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      09-04-2019 11:27 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by BleedVW View Post
      The euro scene seems to be pretty dead around here- at least compared to when I lived in the PNW. As far as shops, Deutsche Auto in Huntersville is great and the guys at EuroWise seem pretty good and make lots of cool builds.
      Yeah I was afraid of that - seen plenty of VW's around but doesn't seem like there's much of any car scene at all, much less VW.
      "Wanda" - 2019 APR Stg2 (w/TCU tune) MK7 GLI Autobahn - Tornado Red
      Custom Tint, IE cold-air intake and turbo inlet, APR 3" catted Downpipe, Custom 2.5" stainless exhaust, H&R VTF Lowering springs, stock struts, Rotiform RSE 18x8.5

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2019 GTI Rabbit DSG, 1992 Corrado SLC
      11-06-2019 09:45 PM #4
      Yeah I was afraid of that - seen plenty of VW's around but doesn't seem like there's much of any car scene at all, much less VW.
      I actually beg to differ! I've only been here a few months and I've managed to meet some cool people at various meets and shows. Last night I just went out for the first time to the biweekly Friends of Chapter 11 Dubs meet at Brewers at 4001 Yancey. Great group of people with some cool cars.

Deutsche Auto Parts is also hosting a Toys for Tots donation meet on November 23 which should be fun. A DAP meet back in July is where I first met some fellow VW enthusiasts here in Charlotte.

It also goes without saying that you should check out Cars and Coffee Charlotte the first Saturday morning of each month. The event jams a business park with tons of cars and even more people.

7. Junior Member The_Spoonerman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-03-2020 08:46 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by PursuitOfCorrado View Post
      I actually beg to differ! I've only been here a few months and I've managed to meet some cool people at various meets and shows. Last night I just went out for the first time to the biweekly Friends of Chapter 11 Dubs meet at Brewers at 4001 Yancey. Great group of people with some cool cars.

Deutsche Auto Parts is also hosting a Toys for Tots donation meet on November 23 which should be fun. A DAP meet back in July is where I first met some fellow VW enthusiasts here in Charlotte.

It also goes without saying that you should check out Cars and Coffee Charlotte the first Saturday morning of each month. The event jams a business park with tons of cars and even more people.
      In the time since I posted this I've started going to C&C monthly and it has to be one of my highlights of every month! So many cool cars to look at and a lot of chill people. I'm not a particularly outgoing person but I did get to chat with another mk7 GLI owner at the last one which was pretty cool to finally find.

I haven't been to a DAP event yet but I wouldn't mind rolling out to one at some point.

Can you tell me about this biweekly thing at 4001 Yancey? I live REALLY close to there so that's definitely up my alley.
      Custom Tint, IE cold-air intake and turbo inlet, APR 3" catted Downpipe, Custom 2.5" stainless exhaust, H&R VTF Lowering springs, stock struts, Rotiform RSE 18x8.5

Vehicles
      2019 GTI Rabbit DSG, 1992 Corrado SLC
      01-03-2020 10:11 PM #6
      In the time since I posted this I've started going to C&C monthly and it has to be one of my highlights of every month! So many cool cars to look at and a lot of chill people. I'm not a particularly outgoing person but I did get to chat with another mk7 GLI owner at the last one which was pretty cool to finally find.

I haven't been to a DAP event yet but I wouldn't mind rolling out to one at some point.

Can you tell me about this biweekly thing at 4001 Yancey? I live REALLY close to there so that's definitely up my alley.
      Glad to hear that! I've met a few great people at C&C too--pretty great to hang out with like-minded people. I'm going to try and make it out at tomorrow morning with my GTI, you can't miss it in blue! You're also free to DM me here, but can't be 100% sure that I'll see it in time.

The DAP events are great, I would highly recommend attending one. They usually roll around every few months if you pay attention to their Facebook page. People drove out from as far as Knoxville for the November event, and the HumbleMechanic gave me a ride in his Ginster Yellow Golf R to test out his new H&R anti-sway bar I'd also recommend DAP Repair as your local VW shop: quality work at a great pricetag. Not sure if you've been, but VW of South Charlotte is pretty enthusiast-oriented if you're looking for some dealer/warranty work.

The biweekly meets are with "Friends of Chapter 11 Dubs," which is the Charlotte VW club. Not sure when the next meet is after the holidays, but if you join the Facebook group, there should be an event posted soon. If we stay on the same schedule, it'll be on the 14th at 7:00. It's usually about 10-15 people with modded and stock VW/Audi and the occasional Bimmer. They park in a lot nearby lot and split time between hanging with the cars and inside Brewers at 4001 Yancey with beers and food. Like you, I'm not particularly outgoing, but they're a great group who share a great deal of knowledge and passion between them all. Plus a handful of them work at local VW shops.

9. Junior Member The_Spoonerman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      01-05-2020 12:08 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by PursuitOfCorrado View Post
      Glad to hear that! I've met a few great people at C&C too--pretty great to hang out with like-minded people. I'm going to try and make it out at tomorrow morning with my GTI, you can't miss it in blue! You're also free to DM me here, but can't be 100% sure that I'll see it in time.

The DAP events are great, I would highly recommend attending one. They usually roll around every few months if you pay attention to their Facebook page. People drove out from as far as Knoxville for the November event, and the HumbleMechanic gave me a ride in his Ginster Yellow Golf R to test out his new H&R anti-sway bar I'd also recommend DAP Repair as your local VW shop: quality work at a great pricetag. Not sure if you've been, but VW of South Charlotte is pretty enthusiast-oriented if you're looking for some dealer/warranty work.

The biweekly meets are with "Friends of Chapter 11 Dubs," which is the Charlotte VW club. Not sure when the next meet is after the holidays, but if you join the Facebook group, there should be an event posted soon. If we stay on the same schedule, it'll be on the 14th at 7:00. It's usually about 10-15 people with modded and stock VW/Audi and the occasional Bimmer. They park in a lot nearby lot and split time between hanging with the cars and inside Brewers at 4001 Yancey with beers and food. Like you, I'm not particularly outgoing, but they're a great group who share a great deal of knowledge and passion between them all. Plus a handful of them work at local VW shops.
      I missed today for C&C! Was up visiting my inlaws. I’ve been trying to make them every month so hopefully I’ll be out there for February.

DAP is pretty far from me; I’ve actually got a place near me in S. Charlotte called Eurofed who I’ve been working with. Great team there and they do really good work.

I joined the FB group yesterday so I’ll keep an eye out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      09 new beetle 'vert
      02-22-2020 07:49 PM #8
      was looking at the regional thread and came on your comment about them. I'm not a tuner, but looking for decent repair shops for my New Beetle. Eurofed is on Independence, right? Used to be a TRans/repair shop I think?
      "a flute without a hole is not a flute
      and so a donut without a hole, is a danish"

11. Junior Member The_Spoonerman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      06-12-2020 03:17 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by MCbeetle1015 View Post
      was looking at the regional thread and came on your comment about them. I'm not a tuner, but looking for decent repair shops for my New Beetle. Eurofed is on Independence, right? Used to be a TRans/repair shop I think?
      Sorry for the SUPER late reply! I haven't been on here in a while. There's actually 2 Eurofed locations in Charlotte: the one over on Independence is their newer location and I think might be a bit bigger than the one on Old Pineville just south of SouthEnd. I live super close to Eurofed SouthEnd so that's the one I usually take my car to but both shops do good work.