Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017+ CX-5s

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      08-26-2019 10:24 AM #26
      Not really too relevant to the newer ones, but we bought a 2013 new and it has almost 90k miles and has been very very good car to us. That said I wish I would have waited till the 2.5 came out. The 2.0 is quite gutless and the throttle calibration off the line is weird sometimes, just kind of takes off or sometimes goes super slow. The engine is very fuel efficient though. The new 2.5T would probably be awesome!

All that said, it really does handle like a car, small steering wheel and fast turning response. The driving dynamics show Mazda's spirited intentions.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '17 Mazda CX-5, '18 Mazda CX-9
      08-26-2019 10:53 AM #27
      I have a 2017 Touring with 30K miles on it. Been pretty much flawless. Some infotainment quirks, but they are few and far between.

My only real complaint is the way the material is bunching up on the driver seat. It's sort of bunched up and creased on the side closest to the door.

Overall I love it, but I do think the 2014 I had handled better and had better brakes. If I had to buy a used one, I think I would look at the prior gen.

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      08-26-2019 11:17 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by ILL02GTI View Post
      I have a 2017 Touring with 30K miles on it. Been pretty much flawless. Some infotainment quirks, but they are few and far between.

My only real complaint is the way the material is bunching up on the driver seat. It's sort of bunched up and creased on the side closest to the door
      I seem to see this on a lot of used cars. Is it because of the way getting in and out all the time?

Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL-Premium (non R-Line)
      08-26-2019 11:23 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      I seem to see this on a lot of used cars. Is it because of the way getting in and out all the time?
      I think its the juxtaposition between the getting in/out of the car, and the softness of certain nicer leather interiors. The nicer the grain of leather, often time the harsher it shows its age. That is why leatherette has been so popular in the industry, because it offers the same look of leather with increased durability for long term use.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      19 GLI Autobahn
      08-26-2019 02:12 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Omega360 View Post
      My fiancee has a 2019 Touring AWD with approx 5,000 miles on it (bought in April). Can't speak for the actual material wear or rust just yet but it is a great and quiet cruiser. We take it on road trips all the time and it is a joy to drive. I wish she went with the bigger motor available in the Grand Touring or Signature editions because when accelerating it causes the motor to scream just to accelerate on a highway on-ramp. But once it gets to speed it is a nice place to be.
      They are peppy around town. Wife has a 16 CX-5 and i was following her in my WRX and was impressed how quickly it scoots around. She has about 90k on it and hasn't had any issues to date other than the bluetooth connection being problematic at times (HU would drop her iphone, then pick it up over and over sometimes).

Vehicles
      2019 Volkswagen Arteon SEL-Premium (non R-Line)
      08-26-2019 02:39 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Lawrider View Post
      They are peppy around town. Wife has a 16 CX-5 and i was following her in my WRX and was impressed how quickly it scoots around. She has about 90k on it and hasn't had any issues to date other than the bluetooth connection being problematic at times (HU would drop her iphone, then pick it up over and over sometimes).
      Around Town +

Passing on Highway -

It is a 2.5L 4cyl SUV. Unless you go for the 2.5T, calibrate your expectations.

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      08-26-2019 08:16 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Around Town +

Passing on Highway -

It is a 2.5L 4cyl SUV. Unless you go for the 2.5T, calibrate your expectations.
      100% this. Around town it's downright sprightly off the line. Above 45-50? Yeaaaaaaaaaa no. My wife has a '16 GT AWD.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      1982 Caddy, 1984 Cabby, 2010 CC
      08-26-2019 09:15 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      My best friend has a 2017 GT AWD. He noted two issues:

1) The ACC sensor tends to go out making the system useless.

2) The infotainment system resets itself and hangs during driving quite a bit.
      Our infotainment system was having the same issue. There was a batch of navigation SD cards that were bad. Mazda replaced it and it corrected the problem.

Vehicles
      '16 F150 5.0 S/C, '18 Honda Goldwing, '18 CX-5
      08-26-2019 10:30 PM #34
      My wife and daughter both have 2018 CX-5's (Touring). We have had them since last November and December. Only issue we have had were the rear shocks were replaced on my wife's under warranty because the dealer found they were leaking during and oil change / inspection. Both of them love their cars and I enjoy driving them as well. Just good cars that look great inside and out. We appreciate the safety features they come with. My wife misses her JK Wrangler she had before this but doesn't miss the abysmal gas mileage it had. Honestly, I was really surprised when she said she wanted the CX-5 and was willing to get rid of her Jeep for it. I have always thought they were the best looking / performing option in that segment.
      '16 F150 5.0 S/C, '18 Honda Goldwing

Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      11-08-2019 04:44 PM #35
      I test drove an '18 Touring, and I'm leaning towards buying it. One owner, 35k miles, FWD, dark blue over beige, likely $22k OTD. I like that the '18s give you 1-touch on all windows, though I would prefer the adaptive headlights on the GT. The 2.5 is still sort of meh, but it felt better in FWD vs. the AWD that I drove. The trip computer showed a lifetime of 28mpg or so as well, which is nice. The huge instrument cluster hump is strange, but otherwise, it's a nice place to be.

One hesitation is the seat color and material - does the light leather and luxo-suede insert stain from jeans etc, or is that only really an issue with the more white-ish leather in the GT?

12. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      11-08-2019 05:18 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      One hesitation is the seat color and material - does the light leather and luxo-suede insert stain from jeans etc, or is that only really an issue with the more white-ish leather in the GT?
      I have beige seats in my Focus and the "Parchment" white seats in the CX-5. The Mazda is a pain to keep clean, but I don't notice any issues with the Ford.

I'm one of the few people who still prefers not black seats because I don't like to burn my ass in the summer. Rather do a little extra maintenance than deal with that.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      11-08-2019 05:56 PM #37
      They're good vehicles overall. A friend of mine has one and hasn't had any issues with it. I've driven a few.

I don't understand the sporty handling comments. They drive ok but handle and ride worse than just about all compact sedans. In their competitive set, they're among the better handling CUVs. Just set your expectations. As a plus they do drive very solid, kind of similar to a VW or other german car.

The 2.5 engine is acceptable around town and that's about all I'll say about it. The turbo is a lot more powerful, especially noticeable on the highway. It's also a lot more expensive. The 2.5 NA motor would benefit from more gears or a well tuned CVT.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      Today 06:19 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      I have beige seats in my Focus and the "Parchment" white seats in the CX-5. The Mazda is a pain to keep clean, but I don't notice any issues with the Ford.

I'm one of the few people who still prefers not black seats because I don't like to burn my ass in the summer. Rather do a little extra maintenance than deal with that.
      Good to know. Passed on this particular car... count me in the camp that prefers black seats. Kids, dog, coffee, etc. Our Rav4 has a light gray cloth interior, and it's a bit of a hassle to keep clean.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post

I don't understand the sporty handling comments. They drive ok but handle and ride worse than just about all compact sedans.
      I'm not sure about that. I borrowed a FWD '18 for an hour or so, and the handling is very good, regardless of vehicle type. Great suspension tuning, decent steering. I had fun.

I figured out the engine though: it's nice, but don't floor it and expect anything interesting to happen. It'll just make you sad. Around town at low-moderate throttle though (as in what it's designed to do)? It's perfect. Responsive transmission, plenty of low end power, etc. The constant whine of the engine and/or transmission was neat, but I could see it getting old. The one huge flaw is the location of the volume and infotainment controls. They're down and to the back when driving, and it's not intuitive. Maybe it gets better with time, but I wasn't a fan. The steering wheel controls felt "mushy", so I didn't like using them as an alternative.

Overall, nice car and I get why people love them, but it made me want to try the updated Mazda6 more than buy that CX-5. When I brought it home and parked next to the Rav4, my wife asked why we'd need two functionally identical cars. I have to agree.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12