VWVortex.com - Camshafts and clutch
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 37 of 37

    Thread: Camshafts and clutch

    1. Member VincewagenR32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2010
      Location
      Turnbull Canyon, Hacienda Heights, CA
      Posts
      2,944
      Vehicles
      MKIV R32-RS, 05 CTS
      09-05-2019 05:58 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Sturrrt View Post
      In for review. I want to do pretty bad but it's a big initial cost

      Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      NA cams are a deadset mindset

      If you question that then you should get a turbo kit then 272 cams AFTER.

      Thats as blunt of a decision i would say.



      If i did it over i would still turbo my car over cams but i had money to literally toss for fun and i prefer to go about things from experience, i never cammed a vr so curiosity got me here. However there isn't really a negative to adding the TT cams. Almost anything is better than stock.
      "A genius is not measured by what he knows, but with what he can figure out with what he already knows."
      Quote Originally Posted by power_mind View Post
      Also, remember that you can throw the whole parts bin at the car, you can even pick and choose, but the best modification is to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel.
      Instagram : Visualblurr

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Senior Member PowerDubs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2001
      Location
      NWNJ
      Posts
      25,040
      09-20-2019 08:23 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by DGMrKong View Post
      Why are you doing cams on a VR6? The only thing it will change is valve lift. The engine has variable timing from the factory, and it has an insane range. Somthing like 40 degrees. Getting a new cam for longer/shorter duration is pointless. Save the money on the cams and just pay a shop that actually knows how to tune a VR6 to tune it.


      You have no idea what you are talking about.


      -Josh

      1-12-5-8-3-10-6-7-2-11-4-9

    4. Senior Member PowerDubs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2001
      Location
      NWNJ
      Posts
      25,040
      09-20-2019 08:32 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by VincewagenR32 View Post
      NA cams are a deadset mindset

      If you question that then you should get a turbo kit then 272 cams AFTER.

      Thats as blunt of a decision i would say.

      If i did it over i would still turbo my car over cams but


      Not sure what you mean by deadset mindset- but cams need a good tune to run right. United Motorsport tune will make it rip.

      There are no NA / turbo cams- any cams will work fine for either.

      I would not do 272 cams again. Schrick 268/264 is ideal on this engine if you can get them at a good price. Other than that- stick to the Techtonics cams- still mated to a United tune.

      After an airbox intake, cams, tune, do high flow cats if you haven't. I'd assume the muffler (catback) is already done by now. After that, headers add 5-6whp IIRC and smooth the exhaust note- loose the rasp.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      All these years later- what's the all motor awd dyno numbers being pulled now?
      -Josh

      1-12-5-8-3-10-6-7-2-11-4-9

    5. Member osin34's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2009
      Location
      West Rutland, Vermont
      Posts
      965
      Vehicles
      2001 S8 // 2004 .:R32 // 2009 Tundra
      09-21-2019 08:07 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      Not sure what you mean by deadset mindset- but cams need a good tune to run right. United Motorsport tune will make it rip.

      There are no NA / turbo cams- any cams will work fine for either.

      I would not do 272 cams again. Schrick 268/264 is ideal on this engine if you can get them at a good price. Other than that- stick to the Techtonics cams- still mated to a United tune.

      After an airbox intake, cams, tune, do high flow cats if you haven't. I'd assume the muffler (catback) is already done by now. After that, headers add 5-6whp IIRC and smooth the exhaust note- loose the rasp.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      All these years later- what's the all motor awd dyno numbers being pulled now?
      Have wanted to get the car on a dyno to check this out for a while now that i’ve got all these pieces in place before going turbo next year.. If i can get the day to drive down to mass and hop on I will just so i have a base for before and after the build.

      Relevant mods:

      - UM Tune
      - TT 264/260 Cams
      - Supersprint headers DEI wrapped
      - 200 cell Argon Addicts 2-1/4” inlet > 3” out HFC
      - 42DD 3” catback
      - Fluidampr
      - 034 Phenolic intake mani spacer
      - K&N Intake
      - Lightweight wheels (18.5lbs)
      - Lightweight seats / no rear seats

      Don’t think there’s anything else that would make a difference..


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2001 S8 // 2004 .:R32

    6. Member
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2011
      Location
      SoCal and El Paso, TX ;-)
      Posts
      2,305
      Vehicles
      MKIV.:R32 & MKVI.:R 2.:R's are better than one .:R!
      09-21-2019 08:48 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      Not sure what you mean by deadset mindset- but cams need a good tune to run right. United Motorsport tune will make it rip.

      There are no NA / turbo cams- any cams will work fine for either.

      I would not do 272 cams again. Schrick 268/264 is ideal on this engine if you can get them at a good price. Other than that- stick to the Techtonics cams- still mated to a United tune.

      After an airbox intake, cams, tune, do high flow cats if you haven't. I'd assume the muffler (catback) is already done by now. After that, headers add 5-6whp IIRC and smooth the exhaust note- loose the rasp.

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      All these years later- what's the all motor awd dyno numbers being pulled now?
      Agreed! To date the most I have seen is Chris (QBN R32) with 269 to the wheels a few years ago. Have not seen another R all motor higher. I'm getting close as he has a few things I don't have but I have a few things he doesn't have. Like below I just got a ton of work done and I'm dying to get on some rollers to see what I'm putting down. And unless you have a big blower or windmill putting in work 268\264 is as good as it gets in the cam dpt NA or FI.

      Quote Originally Posted by osin34 View Post
      Have wanted to get the car on a dyno to check this out for a while now that i’ve got all these pieces in place before going turbo next year.. If i can get the day to drive down to mass and hop on I will just so i have a base for before and after the build.

      Relevant mods:

      - UM Tune
      - TT 264/260 Cams
      - Supersprint headers DEI wrapped
      - 200 cell Argon Addicts 2-1/4” inlet > 3” out HFC
      - 42DD 3” catback
      - Fluidampr
      - 034 Phenolic intake mani spacer
      - K&N Intake
      - Lightweight wheels (18.5lbs)
      - Lightweight seats / no rear seats

      Don’t think there’s anything else that would make a difference..


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      WHHHHAAAAATTTTTT!? Don't think there is anything else that will make a difference? See my set up below.

      -Schrick 268\264
      -Neuspeed Typhoon Intake
      -Neuspeed 2.75 inch Exhaust
      -Ported\Polished Manifolds
      -16 lbs Volk CE28N super lightweight wheels to put power to the ground

      Then I have a few things you left out that do make a difference.
      -Neuspeed Power Pulleys (5-7 hp)
      -16 lbs single mass flywheel.
      -I don't have it but QBN is E85

      Don't sleep on the power pulleys and don't sleep on the 16 pound flywheel. All that power is like unsprung weight cause its the moving components of the engine. I'm super curious how much power down stream the lightweight fly with a S3 clutch will add. It's power that is there but is lost to mechanical parasitic drag. That's free power waiting to be unleased!!! All that plus 16 pound wheels and my car pulls super hard and even feels like a small turbo at 4K RPM when the big cams open up. I do have a super secret power adder that no one is talking about and I will unvail to the world when it's time.
      UNDER STEER MUST DIE!!! As my skills/abilities increase UNDER STEER magically disappears!!!
      Stock is like virginity: Useless and should be gotten rid as soon as possible!!!!

    7. Senior Member PowerDubs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2001
      Location
      NWNJ
      Posts
      25,040
      09-22-2019 03:57 PM #31
      $50 says Osin would put down more power same day same dyno.




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Josh

      1-12-5-8-3-10-6-7-2-11-4-9

    8. Member osin34's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2009
      Location
      West Rutland, Vermont
      Posts
      965
      Vehicles
      2001 S8 // 2004 .:R32 // 2009 Tundra
      09-23-2019 07:15 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by GOT R32? View Post
      WHHHHAAAAATTTTTT!? Don't think there is anything else that will make a difference? See my set up below.

      -Schrick 268\264
      -Neuspeed Typhoon Intake
      -Neuspeed 2.75 inch Exhaust
      -Ported\Polished Manifolds
      -16 lbs Volk CE28N super lightweight wheels to put power to the ground

      Then I have a few things you left out that do make a difference.
      -Neuspeed Power Pulleys (5-7 hp)
      -16 lbs single mass flywheel.
      -I don't have it but QBN is E85

      Don't sleep on the power pulleys and don't sleep on the 16 pound flywheel. All that power is like unsprung weight cause its the moving components of the engine. I'm super curious how much power down stream the lightweight fly with a S3 clutch will add. It's power that is there but is lost to mechanical parasitic drag. That's free power waiting to be unleased!!! All that plus 16 pound wheels and my car pulls super hard and even feels like a small turbo at 4K RPM when the big cams open up. I do have a super secret power adder that no one is talking about and I will unvail to the world when it's time.
      Those things certainly make a difference, what I meant was, there’s nothing else of note on my own car that would make a difference as far as dyno numbers are concerned, not just in general.

      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      $50 says Osin would put down more power same day same dyno.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Hahaha I would totally be down! Would love to see how those things make a difference on these setups. Only got a few more months before i join the dark side haha



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2001 S8 // 2004 .:R32

    9. Member
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2011
      Location
      SoCal and El Paso, TX ;-)
      Posts
      2,305
      Vehicles
      MKIV.:R32 & MKVI.:R 2.:R's are better than one .:R!
      09-28-2019 10:25 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      $50 says Osin would put down more power same day same dyno.




      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Oh yeah that's a bet I would take for funnzies! That's my current set up but it's always evolving. I have a dyno local and first chance I get I'll get her on the rollers. Wish it was a hub dyno but it's all good
      Quote Originally Posted by osin34 View Post
      Those things certainly make a difference, what I meant was, there’s nothing else of note on my own car that would make a difference as far as dyno numbers are concerned, not just in general.



      Hahaha I would totally be down! Would love to see how those things make a difference on these setups. Only got a few more months before i join the dark side haha



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yeah I'll be going over to the dark side soon also. Going Supercharger probably in the spring. Wish I could stay NA and get 400 though lol
      UNDER STEER MUST DIE!!! As my skills/abilities increase UNDER STEER magically disappears!!!
      Stock is like virginity: Useless and should be gotten rid as soon as possible!!!!

    10. Member osin34's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 4th, 2009
      Location
      West Rutland, Vermont
      Posts
      965
      Vehicles
      2001 S8 // 2004 .:R32 // 2009 Tundra
      09-28-2019 10:40 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by GOT R32? View Post
      Oh yeah that's a bet I would take for funnzies! That's my current set up but it's always evolving. I have a dyno local and first chance I get I'll get her on the rollers. Wish it was a hub dyno but it's all good


      Yeah I'll be going over to the dark side soon also. Going Supercharger probably in the spring. Wish I could stay NA and get 400 though lol
      I should just book a time and get it done this fall because i won’t have time next spring probably, i’ll keep people posted if i can get a time.

      Went back and forth for a long time about the setup i wanted to run and finally decided to go turbo. My buddy up here just got his hands on a used VF kit with a V9 and Vito’s cogs.. it’ll be a lot of fun to see how the both differ and drive after they are done next year. Mine should be around 450wheel, on mid boost.. so excited haha


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2001 S8 // 2004 .:R32

    11. Member
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2011
      Location
      SoCal and El Paso, TX ;-)
      Posts
      2,305
      Vehicles
      MKIV.:R32 & MKVI.:R 2.:R's are better than one .:R!
      09-28-2019 11:04 AM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by osin34 View Post
      I should just book a time and get it done this fall because i won’t have time next spring probably, i’ll keep people posted if i can get a time.

      Went back and forth for a long time about the setup i wanted to run and finally decided to go turbo. My buddy up here just got his hands on a used VF kit with a V9 and Vito’s cogs.. it’ll be a lot of fun to see how the both differ and drive after they are done next year. Mine should be around 450wheel, on mid boost.. so excited haha


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Years ago I scored a VF S2 kit on the cheap. Finally got the car modded and ready to take the kit and not break $41+. Want the Exit 9 cog pulley but damn Vito! But I do have dreams of ITBs to maximize the Wook in NA form. I wonder if ITBs could really open her up with the 268\264 cams?
      UNDER STEER MUST DIE!!! As my skills/abilities increase UNDER STEER magically disappears!!!
      Stock is like virginity: Useless and should be gotten rid as soon as possible!!!!

    12. Senior Member PowerDubs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 22nd, 2001
      Location
      NWNJ
      Posts
      25,040
      09-30-2019 08:31 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by GOT R32? View Post
      Years ago I scored a VF S2 kit on the cheap.


      Years ago I drag raced a VF supercharger with my car all motor. There is video somewhere. Beat him, and trapped higher.



      Quote Originally Posted by GOT R32? View Post
      But I do have dreams of ITBs to maximize the Wook in NA form. I wonder if ITBs could really open her up with the 268\264 cams?

      Nope- waste of money. And worse- loss of drivability and low end if you size for top end.

      Want to get past the current NA numbers laid down? Go 3.6 block conversion.
      -Josh

      1-12-5-8-3-10-6-7-2-11-4-9

    13. Member
      Join Date
      May 24th, 2011
      Location
      SoCal and El Paso, TX ;-)
      Posts
      2,305
      Vehicles
      MKIV.:R32 & MKVI.:R 2.:R's are better than one .:R!
      10-02-2019 02:36 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      Years ago I drag raced a VF supercharger with my car all motor. There is video somewhere. Beat him, and trapped higher.






      Nope- waste of money. And worse- loss of drivability and low end if you size for top end.

      Want to get past the current NA numbers laid down? Go 3.6 block conversion.
      Hear you on the ITBs. I'd rather stay all motor for weight distribution cause the last thing these cars need is more weight up front. Got a deal on the S\C so that's why I'm going that route. This is a semitrack car so I don't need a ton of HP, rather put that money into refining the set up and track tire budget. But most importantly as much seat time and instruction as i can get. Would like as much power out of her as I can while all motor though.
      Last edited by GOT R32?; 10-02-2019 at 02:38 AM.
      UNDER STEER MUST DIE!!! As my skills/abilities increase UNDER STEER magically disappears!!!
      Stock is like virginity: Useless and should be gotten rid as soon as possible!!!!

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •