VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

VRT Rod Bolts - When Why How

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  -:VW:- 
#1 ·
Hey All,

I've got a question on the rod bolt upgrade for a 12v OBDII VR with 112k on the clock. My specific setup is below (nothing too out of the ordinary).

• C2 Stage II tune (circa 2008)
  • Walboro Inline Pump
  • 42# Bosch Injectors
  • OEM 3bar FPR
  • Schimmel Fuel Rail
  • 9:1 SS Head Spacer
  • DSR 256 Cams
  • 3" DP and Exhaust
  • Garrett T3 turbine - Stage 3 wheel & .82 A\R housing - T04E compressor with 60 trim wheel and .60 A\R housing
  • Schimmel SRI
  • 28x8x3.5 FMIC w/2.5" plumbing throughout

I've just recently added the FMIC (originally had the ATP core) as well as the SRI and I'm looking to turn things up a notch. I'd like to kick it up to 18psi (running 14psi max now) however I've been doing a little homework before doing so and came across the infamous (to some) rod bolt debates.

What I'm after is should I do those or are they not needed at my power and boost levels. I feel like much of the talk regarding the necessity of upgrading these is surrounded by a lot of drama. Whether they are needed how they are installed etc. etc but i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

So I suppose it comes down to... How many of you out there running 18psi or even 20psi have bothered to install these (in the proper manner i.e. re-threading the rods or the improper manner i.e. just threading them in as-is)?

Is there a definitive level that someone can say the OEM bolts fail at?

Looking forward to the healthy banter.

See less See more
#3 ·
So I suppose it comes down to... How many of you out there running 18psi or even 20psi have bothered to install these (in the proper manner i.e. re-threading the rods or the improper manner i.e. just threading them in as-is)?

Is there a definitive level that someone can say the OEM bolts fail at?

Looking forward to the healthy banter.
At your proposed power level (turbo size and boost) you will be fine. I have run and have built cars for people that are currently running stock rod bolts in the 18-20 psi range (on similar and larger turbos) with no failures.

I typically will install them always on my personal cars based on the fact that I am pulling the oil pan anyway and installation is not complex (hint-hint) and secondly since my cars run ~ 25psi or greater I rather have one less thing to worry about. Again, at your power level I would not be uncomfortable running stock rod bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.