Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 months of ownership.....5 check engine lights

Vehicles
      2018 VW Atlas SEL 4Motion 2018, VW Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG
      09-25-2019 10:50 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by 94SupraTT View Post
      Not everyone is a VW fanboy. Some people believe brand new cars should not have multiple check engine lights
      Not about being a fanboy, about not having a few minor glitches in any new car be a major concern in my life. Yes, in a perfect world you buy your new car and drive it with no issues. No manufacturer has that kind of QA/QC/rate of failure....ok..maybe Toyota..ahhahahaah. My AC went out today, that will cost me $3500 tomorrow. It's 15 years old. I expect it. That is a big inconvenience. A CEL in one of our new cars that has a B2B warranty is not.
      2018 Atlas SEL VR6 4Motion - K&N drop-in, deAuto interior, fog, and full tail LEDs
      2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion DSG - Unitronic St2 IS20 ECU/St2 TCU/downpipe/K&N drop-in+air box/duct mods+block off/CTS TIP+TIH+TMD/034 dogbone insert/Golf R RSB

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-26-2019 03:11 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      If this is your version of a nightmare...wow.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      I definitely wouldn't want that headache.

4. 09-26-2019 10:42 AM #28
      SupraTT, it is bummer that you are have to deal with this for a new car. You must be feeling irritated and frustrated. I would be as well.

As others have to noted, you should rely on the dealer to document and address any CEL. The fact that you have a Supra TT, I am going to be prejudice and speculate that you have enough knowledge about the cars to be "dangerous". The thing is that, my understanding of the lemon law, has to be based on the issues that has been consistently documented by a dealer/manufacturer. I don't know which state the vehicle is located, but in California, it is considered a lemon, if the same problem/defect is noted 3 to 4 times within the first 18000 miles of the new car purchase. I think there is also a time limitation related to that. With that said, I reiterate the dealer deal with clearing the CEL, every time. Then the occurrence has been formally documented and there is no arguing back and forth. Also make sure to look up your state's lemon law. Best of wishes and hopefully the CEL never comes back.

5. 09-26-2019 04:35 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by hxgaser View Post
      SupraTT, it is bummer that you are have to deal with this for a new car. You must be feeling irritated and frustrated. I would be as well.

As others have to noted, you should rely on the dealer to document and address any CEL. The fact that you have a Supra TT, I am going to be prejudice and speculate that you have enough knowledge about the cars to be "dangerous". The thing is that, my understanding of the lemon law, has to be based on the issues that has been consistently documented by a dealer/manufacturer. I don't know which state the vehicle is located, but in California, it is considered a lemon, if the same problem/defect is noted 3 to 4 times within the first 18000 miles of the new car purchase. I think there is also a time limitation related to that. With that said, I reiterate the dealer deal with clearing the CEL, every time. Then the occurrence has been formally documented and there is no arguing back and forth. Also make sure to look up your state's lemon law. Best of wishes and hopefully the CEL never comes back.
      Oh I agree. I should have taken it up there for the 2nd CEL. Unfortunately, based off the dealers suggestion I assumed it was a loose gas cap. They said that was the issue the first time. So, I figured, maybe I just didn't tighten it twice. I never thought I would have 5 CELs. I won't clear it again though because it doesn't help my case for the reason you just stated.

I would say I'm more than dangerous. lol. I'm very comfortable modding a car and working on a car. I bought this one new though so I wouldn't have to do any of that. I'll update tomorrow after I hear from VW.
      1994 Toyota Supra (Single Turbo, 6spd)
      2011 Ford F150 Lariat
      2019 VW Atlas SEL (black, black, black)

6. 09-26-2019 04:45 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by KarstGeo View Post
      Not about being a fanboy, about not having a few minor glitches in any new car be a major concern in my life. Yes, in a perfect world you buy your new car and drive it with no issues. No manufacturer has that kind of QA/QC/rate of failure....ok..maybe Toyota..ahhahahaah. My AC went out today, that will cost me $3500 tomorrow. It's 15 years old. I expect it. That is a big inconvenience. A CEL in one of our new cars that has a B2B warranty is not.
      I've owned Toyotas, a Ford, Nissans, a Mazda, and now a VW. In the entire history of owning all of those other vehicles I've NEVER had 5 CELs. It isn't unreasonable to think 5 CELs is absurd. It is ridiculous. I should not have to drop off my car and have someone SHUTTLE me to work 5 freaking times. That is totally unacceptable.
      2011 Ford F150 Lariat

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      09-26-2019 06:08 PM #31
      I've owned Toyotas, a Ford, Nissans, a Mazda, and now a VW. In the entire history of owning all of those other vehicles I've NEVER had 5 CELs. It isn't unreasonable to think 5 CELs is absurd. It is ridiculous. I should not have to drop off my car and have someone SHUTTLE me to work 5 freaking times. That is totally unacceptable.
      No new vehicle of this price should give you these headaches. And if it does, it should be rectified in a timely manner- which we know is not something VW seems to get right. Ever.

Having said that, the fact that you took the car back and the CEL is still off, does not bode well for the buy-back/replacement outcome, as I told you they only do it when they have to. So I hope they don't dick you over given the annoyances. If they do, let it be a tell-tale lesson about VW as a brand for your future purchases. I learned my lesson, albeit a little later than I should have.

Vehicles
      Current: 19 Atlas SEw/Tech and 17 Jetta 1.8T Sport
      09-27-2019 11:06 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      No new vehicle of this price should give you these headaches. And if it does, it should be rectified in a timely manner- which we know is not something VW seems to get right. Ever.

Having said that, the fact that you took the car back and the CEL is still off, does not bode well for the buy-back/replacement outcome, as I told you they only do it when they have to. So I hope they don't dick you over given the annoyances. If they do, let it be a tell-tale lesson about VW as a brand for your future purchases. I learned my lesson, albeit a little later than I should have.
      If the dealership scans find nothing, its hard for them to fix. Granted they should have held onto the car for a week and tried to recreate on their own.

OP - you need to look at the lemon laws in your state. Knowing them will can help you push for a buy back if they support your case.

For your two CELs, have you seen the P0456 again since they did the smoke test? How long ago was that?

For the second one, did they just return the car to you with no changes after you brought it in the first time? Just a code clear? I'm not sure why they arent just changing out the injector for the time being on that one and seeing if the error comes back but them getting corporate involved shows they are taking steps to get your car working again.
      1991 Toyota Corolla SR5 --- 2002 VW GTI 1.8T --- 2003 Audi A4 3.0 --- 2009 VW CC Sport --- 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon --- 2006 Mini Cooper --- 2012 Kia Optima SX --- 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport --- 2010 VW JSW --- 2016 Mazda CX-5 (Wife) --- 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy's Wheeler --- 2017 VW Jetta Sport --- 2019 Atlas SE w/Tech (Wife) --- 2016 VW Jetta GLI SEL

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG, 2004 Porsche Carrera 4S Cab, 1973 Saab Sonett
      09-27-2019 06:13 PM #33
      No. It is not the gas cap.

1st - P0456, VW claims they can not find anything wrong and the gas cap might not have been tightened.
      2nd - P0456, I clear the code myself.
      3rd - P0456, VW once again says they can not find anything wrong with the vehicle. They run a smoke test and it passes.
      4th - P02D4, VW says they can not find anything wrong with the vehicle.
      5th time - P02D4, VW makes offer to pick up my Atlas from my home and drops off a loaner. They stated due to the fact that every time they run tests on the car it comes back fine, they are consulting VW corporate.
      Uh oh.

This makes me nervous.

We just bought a 2019 Atlas SEL R-Line. About a week ago, at around 800 miles, the check engine light came on.

I pulled out the OBDII code reader and found a P0456 code. I checked the gas cap but it seemed to operate properly. We drove it through a few cycles but it didn't clear. I erased the code and it came back within 24 hours. It's now going in for service.

I went through CEL issues with our old Pilot Touring. With fewer than 50k miles on the odometer it went through 3 catalytic converters. I'm really hoping this is a one-off issue.

-Eric

Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL Premium 4Motion Black
      09-27-2019 07:29 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Sue Esponte View Post
      Uh oh.

This makes me nervous.

We just bought a 2019 Atlas SEL R-Line. About a week ago, at around 800 miles, the check engine light came on.

I pulled out the OBDII code reader and found a P0456 code. I checked the gas cap but it seemed to operate properly. We drove it through a few cycles but it didn't clear. I erased the code and it came back within 24 hours. It's now going in for service.

I went through CEL issues with our old Pilot Touring. With fewer than 50k miles on the odometer it went through 3 catalytic converters. I'm really hoping this is a one-off issue.

-Eric
      My SEL P is now done with being 1 year old and so far Zero issues. I have had BMWs, Mercedes, Fiat, Audi, Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Toyota, Acura and Honda and to be honest the Atlas has so far been the best between them all. I love my Atlas and never thought it would be so good. My brother just got a new mercedes and 3 days later they had to change his steering rack. The bottom line it all depends on the actual car one gets as each one could have its own issues no matter who manufactures it. But he way my old Fiat had one issue with the fuel pump and after it was replaced it went on for 5 more years with great driving until it was traded in.
      2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG, 2004 Porsche Carrera 4S Cab, 1973 Saab Sonett
      09-27-2019 08:11 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Hfqkhal View Post
      My SEL P is now done with being 1 year old and so far Zero issues. I have had BMWs, Mercedes, Fiat, Audi, Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Toyota, Acura and Honda and to be honest the Atlas has so far been the best between them all. I love my Atlas and never thought it would be so good. My brother just got a new mercedes and 3 days later they had to change his steering rack. The bottom line it all depends on the actual car one gets as each one could have its own issues no matter who manufactures it. But he way my old Fiat had one issue with the fuel pump and after it was replaced it went on for 5 more years with great driving until it was traded in.
      So far, we love our Atlas -- CEL aside. For now (and, hopefully, forever), it's a one-time thing. Things happen so I'm not going to overreact (although I admittedly don't like that it started for SupraTT the same way -- especially since I went through something similar with our Pilot). We've been really impressed with its overall features, how comfortable it is, and even how well it handles for its size.

What's amazed us even more than the car itself is the number of people who have stopped us to ask about it! People really seem to love it.

-Eric
      Last edited by Sue Esponte; 09-27-2019 at 08:18 PM.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Atlas SEL R-Line 4Motion
      09-27-2019 09:20 PM #36
      Our 2019 Atlas SEL R-Line has been perfect so far.

We came from a 2019 Honda Odyssey EX-L buy back with endless issues.

No manufacturer is immune to problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      09-30-2019 12:47 PM #37
      I'll update tomorrow after I hear from VW.
      What happened?

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 Atlas SEL Premium 4Motion, 2017 Explorer Sport
      10-01-2019 04:48 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Sue Esponte View Post
      Uh oh.

This makes me nervous.

-Eric
      Wife just had a CEL pop up today. Same code. Cleared it and tightened the gas cap. (She doesn't pay close attention to those things). Will see if it comes back. If it does, off to service it goes.
      2019 Atlas SEL Premium 4Motion (Stock), 2017 Ford Explorer Sport (Not Stock)

Vehicles
      10-02-2019 02:37 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by SPAAtlas View Post
      Wife just had a CEL pop up today. Same code. Cleared it and tightened the gas cap. (She doesn't pay close attention to those things). Will see if it comes back. If it does, off to service it goes.
      I wouldn't clear it, remove and reinstall the gas cap and see if it goes away after a few cold starts. If it goes through three cold starts without going off then its more than likely not the gas cap.
      1991 Toyota Corolla SR5 --- 2002 VW GTI 1.8T --- 2003 Audi A4 3.0 --- 2009 VW CC Sport --- 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon --- 2006 Mini Cooper --- 2012 Kia Optima SX --- 2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport --- 2010 VW JSW --- 2016 Mazda CX-5 (Wife) --- 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy's Wheeler --- 2017 VW Jetta Sport --- 2019 Atlas SE w/Tech (Wife) --- 2016 VW Jetta GLI SEL

16. 10-06-2019 05:58 AM #40
      well said and thanks for the info you've provided for OT and some of us!

This puts you in a sticky situation because there is nothing to document in the way of problems. Therefore, even if you wanted to go the lemon route, you have a hell of a fight because you didn't even give them the "opportunity to cure" as they say. You can't fix a problem that is never identified as such.

Next time the check engine light comes on, if you can, drive straight to the dealer and document it. Let them explain why it is on and document it. DON'T CLEAR IT. If they keep saying "cannot replicate problem," then you can at least document all the visits and attempt to go for "days out of service."

I had consulted a lawyer both times I went through with these processes, and I can tell you even with my cases which were pretty iron clad, the lawyer constantly told me the legal jargon in the way of- you can't kick and scream and never give them a chance. That's not how the law works unfortunately. Now in your instance, you have gone multiple times to the dealer, but the problems have not been identified as related even though the codes are the same. That adds to the complication.

You want my .02 cents? Start a case with "customer care" so that you can at least make it known that you are documenting these issues. If it continues to set the CEL off every month, then I would ask politely to have them put you in a new car since they cannot figure out what is causing it. If you go guns blazing right now and ask for a replacement, I promise it won't end that way.

17. 10-10-2019 11:57 AM #41
      My Atlas is back at the dealership with more issues. Customer Service rejected the buyback but asked if there were any more issues. There are....Hence, why the car is back at the dealer.

When I walked in the GM let me know that he would be able to put me in another Atlas with the same specs as mine with 0 miles. That is without getting corporate involved. My payments would go down but it looks like I'd lose $1000. So I'm mulling it over now.
      2011 Ford F150 Lariat

Vehicles
      1996 Jetta, 2000 Jetta, MKV R32 #1517, 2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion, 2018 Atlas SE w/ Tech 4Motion
      10-10-2019 01:13 PM #42
      My Atlas is back at the dealership with more issues. Customer Service rejected the buyback but asked if there were any more issues. There are....Hence, why the car is back at the dealer.

When I walked in the GM let me know that he would be able to put me in another Atlas with the same specs as mine with 0 miles. That is without getting corporate involved. My payments would go down but it looks like I'd lose $1000. So I'm mulling it over now.
      How long would it take you to make up that $1000 with the difference in payment? I'm guessing you would likely save more in the long run with the lower payment.
      2018 Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Tech

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Ford KA (Germany); 2018 VW Atlas SE w/ Tech (HighBeamAssist & Adaptive Lane Assist)
      10-10-2019 01:16 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by RCDheliracer View Post
      How long would it take you to make up that $1000 with the difference in payment? I'm guessing you would likely save more in the long run with the lower payment.
      I would take the new one within a heartbeat!

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      10-10-2019 01:23 PM #44

You know where I stand. Take the deal. Otherwise, it'll lapse and you'll be stuck with a broken car you hate.

Vehicles
      2018 Atlas SEL Premium 4Motion Black
      10-10-2019 02:04 PM #45
      You know where I stand. Take the deal. Otherwise, it'll lapse and you'll be stuck with a broken car you hate.
      Agree with you 100%

2018 Atlas SEL Premium - Deep Black Pearl with with Titan Black Leather - Sep 2018 Build

Vehicles
      10-10-2019 02:16 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Hfqkhal View Post
      Agree with you 100%

I'll triple that motion.

23. 10-10-2019 05:44 PM #47
      DO IT
      2018 V6 SEL with 4MOTION, Captains Chairs, Deep Black Pearl/Shetland

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-10-2019 07:25 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Veedubin02 View Post
      I'll triple that motion.
      4th!

The CEL came back on ours once, but it was also accompanied by a warning on the dash saying "Check Gas Cap". Went away after a couple of drive cycles.

25. 10-14-2019 04:09 PM #49
      Just had my 2018 R-line with 30k in for the CEL. Diagnosis was replacing the cat. When I picked up the car, the SA informed me that I should expect to see a recall on the cats.

They were supposedly informed that there was going to be a big catalytic converter recall, even for the vehicles that just had them replaced, like mine.

26. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-15-2019 02:16 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by vwvapor View Post
      Just had my 2018 R-line with 30k in for the CEL. Diagnosis was replacing the cat. When I picked up the car, the SA informed me that I should expect to see a recall on the cats.

They were supposedly informed that there was going to be a big catalytic converter recall, even for the vehicles that just had them replaced, like mine.
      So they are saying the P0456 is from the Catalytic Converters, or were you getting a different CEL?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast