Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Been slacking. My GT3 touring review

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      09-03-2019 10:54 AM #1
      Anybody who reads my threads knows that I've had the touring for the better part of 8 months now. I keep meaning to get to writing up my review, but life has kept me busy elsewhere.

Quick recap on the story. I thought I had an allocation for a 991.2 GT3 at my local store. Local store starting acting weird. Come to find out, even though I'm second on the list, they are only getting one car. Damn. Oh well, bought a 991.2 turbo S. Lovely car. Friend in Miami tells me his store has an allocation. I called just to see what they wanted ADM-wise. The answer was "nothing" but I had to buy this bizarre 991.2 C2S with some sort of sticker/option package on the car that they couldn't move. I can't even remember what it was called now, but it had these big gaudy black number stickers all over it and it was expensive, but they would come off the sticker a lot. Hell no.

Long story short after telling them hell no many times, we finally came to an agreement. I did technically own another 911 I haven't told you guys about, but only for a couple of weeks, and I actually never even saw it The deal was fair. There was some ADM in the form of lost equity in the purchase and sale of the white 911, but it wasn't bad. And they turned around and sold it a few weeks later CPO.

Regardless, I decided to build a touring for a couple of reasons. 1. I paid over sticker and the touring were already showing signs of being the car that people strangely wanted, which meant better long term value and if I didn't like it I could always sell it and get a regular one as there are many more winged GT3s than touring (right about 600 tourings were produced for the US). I think GT3s should have wings, and I prefer the winged look. With this in mind, this car being the big middle finger to the people hoarding the 991 R and in some ways the successor to the R did intrigue me. 2. I had already had a winged GT3 and there were enough folks on the forums who had owned both 991.2 GT3s saying that the touring had its own character that I decided to go for it.

I only made a few changes to the initial order after I put it through. Ended up going with the deviated stitching in chalk like my 991.2 turbo S had. This really does a great job of breaking up the very drab all black interior that the touring comes with. It is one of my favorite options, though I was furious about having to pay 3500 bucks for bits of different colored thread I paired this with the leather steering column which also got the deviated stitching. It looks great. The turbo S spoiled me with the LEDs and PCCBs so I added those as well. Lightweight buckets too. Carbon trim, and some other random stuff I'm forgetting. No Bose. Why somebody would spend that money to listen to a still very subpar system when you're inside one of the best sounding cars of modern times is beyond me. Also the standard stereo is the previous "sound package plus" option that my 991.1 GT3 had, and it was just fine.

Car took about 4 months from the time of order to delivery. Showed up in Jan of 19, though still a MY2018. I flew to Miami and drove it home. It's actually the very first (not counting the weird C2S!) new Porsche I've ever bought and specced myself and I wanted the whole delivery experience instead of it just showing up on a semi.

On to the driving experience. Being that this car was just a facelifted version my previous GT3, I was really curious to see the differences. Let's begin with the most obvious change. The engine. The 4L has quite substantially more snort down low in the RPM range. Below 4k there is a noticeable uptick in torque. High in the rpm range, there's a little less of the high pitched exhaust wail than previously. In some ways with the bottom end being so much stronger, it isn't quite the event, power-wise, up high that the 3.8 is. This is a very minor quibble, however. This motor still lives for engine speeds greater than 5k. The noise.....oh my god, the noise. One of the peculiarities of the touring is that it gets its own bespoke air box. Instead of the panel filters, it gets a much larger twin cone air filter setup. It flows better than the winged GT3 and it transmits a bit more intake noise into the cabin as well. From about 5k on up, things get a bit more interesting in the Touring at full throttle. The intake snarl becomes more pronounced. At around 6500-7k rpm, there's so much resonance inside the cabin that you feel like you're inside the intake manifold. It makes you thrum along with it. It is very simply very most amazing sound I've ever experienced in a passenger car, ever. Furthermore, full throttle shifts from 9k drop you right smack into that 6500-7k resonance event on the upshift. It is automotive nirvana.

Full throttle, no-lift shifts from 2 to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th gear are quite simply the most amazing automotive experience I've ever had. That is not hyperbole. Every. single. time. it makes me laugh, sorta-want to cry, and the hair stand up on my neck at the sheer insanity and mechanical beauty of all that is occurring at that moment. I've explained this beforehand to the passengers I've taken on a ride and after the 2-3 shift, they all go bug-eyed and drop their jaws. It's just incredible and very nearly indescribable. Unfortunately it doesn't happen a ton as the gears are very long and speeds become illegal very easily doing this. I drove a 991.2 GT3RS at Barber in anger for a 30 min track session in June. That car sounded amazing too, and louder at all points, but it didn't have the cabin resonance like my touring.

The gearbox is impressive. Very rifle-bolt action for a cable operated box. The action is also substantial and deliberate. Zero vagueness. I added a 911 R shift knob. The top of the knob is CF like my interior trim. It looks better in pictures. I was very underwhelmed in person. It's a Boxster shift knob with the top silver piece replaced with a bit of CF for nearly a grand. Oh well. The gearing is great on the track, and fits the flexibility of the motor very well, but it is long for street use. C'est la vie.

Interior quality is great. The seats look amazing and after a few months getting used to them, I no longer hate them Took stuffing a wadded up jacket behind my back to get it relatively sorted. I have broad shoulders with a 50" chest so the seats fold my shoulders in, but once the jacket spaces my back out a bit, things improve a lot. They definitely ruin the versatility of the 991 chassis though. The gigantic area behind the seats is all but totally useless with the fixed buckets. Not really a problem for me. With those seats, I'm not interested in road tripping in the car. After the drive home from Miami in it, I felt like I had been beaten.

Back in May, I went to the Smokies GT event. Hundreds of GT cars and owners get together for a long weekend of track and mountain driving. We had road Atlanta for the day. I did two 15 minute sessions in the touring just to have a little fun and see what it was all about. The car is 100% GT3. Grip is incredible. The car is sublime. I was just out to have a little fun in the intermediate group. Wasn't interested in beating on the car. Good news is my PCCBs squeaked like hell before the track and have been totally silent since I had done a street bed-in procedure, but obviously that wasn't getting enough heat into the ceramics to deposit an appropriate pad material layer. Another thing I noticed was that the manual GT3s and my car included were as fast or faster down the straights the 3RS. Makes sense. The manual GT3s put down about 460 whp, which is the same as the RS after running through the PDK. GT3s have less aero drag as well.

Overall I have to say that this car has really surprised me quite a bit. Initially I got it to partially hedge my bet. It has proven to be greater than the sum of its parts. I know several RS guys who have sold their RS to grab a touring after the smokies event. Looking forward to my time with this one. So far it's been beyond impressive

Car arrived:

Untitled by glmmd81, on Flickr

Delivery day:

PPF:

Post PPF, ceramic coating, Porsche stripe:

Out in the sun:

Interior:

A shot a buddy of mine took of the car at Road Atlanta:

Last edited by Toaster29; 09-03-2019 at 02:40 PM.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ‘18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      ‘18 Raptor crew cab
      ‘09 997TT 6MT: 65mm VTGs, 730 whp E85
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      a van
      09-03-2019 10:59 AM #2
      That's awesome, thanks for sharing!
      Didn't even know the Touring was a thing! Looks like the more "refined" GT3 option.

Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      09-03-2019 11:16 AM #3
      Great writeup. Thanks for sharing That spine tingling sensation you describe at the 2nd-3rd shift, is the reason why people keep coming back to the GT3.

5. 09-03-2019 11:25 AM #4
      Nothing wrong with that car! The side stripes look really good

09-03-2019 11:35 AM #5
      When I hear them in the wild, just standing near them its awesome. I bet its a riot to make them make that noise yourself.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      09-03-2019 11:42 AM #6
      I think the touring is definitely the sweetheart of the GT bunch... given the choice of any GT product, this would be the one. Yours looks great with the side stripes. Although the 911R with the green or red stripes is my favorite look.

Also, great review, seems like it's definitely a fun car to drive! A good intake noise definitely adds some theater to the drive experience. I'd like to hopefully one day swap in an S54 with a carbon airbox to my M3... dat noise.
      Last edited by danny_16v; 09-03-2019 at 11:45 AM.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Vehicles
      GMC, SAABs,VW's, MG
      09-03-2019 11:43 AM #7
      Great review!
      -Noah
      Corrado SLC || TT 225QC || 996 GT2 Widowmaker Project || 997 Turbo ||
      "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

9. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      09-03-2019 12:14 PM #8
      Thanks for taking the time to finally write this for us.

Glad you're enjoying the car; I love that these don't look crazy, it's a nice subtle looking automobile, with the only hint at what it really is are the gigantic brakes.
      Instagram - efrie004

10. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      09-03-2019 12:23 PM #9
      Congrats!

Glad you got the black window trim, the aluminum looks nasty IMO.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-03-2019 12:39 PM #10
      Living the dream! Thanks for the review. I agree that the Touring is probably the pick of Porsche's whole range if you can afford it. It's too bad it seems like nobody makes a shorter final drive for these....

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2005 Acura TSX
      09-03-2019 12:50 PM #11
      Waaaayyy cool car there. Beautiful.

Allocation and buying experience sounds like a ridiculous dick pain.

13. 09-03-2019 12:51 PM #12
      Amazing pickup!

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Volt, '86 BMW 325E
      09-03-2019 01:17 PM #13
      Awesome, thank you for sharing!

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      09-03-2019 01:48 PM #14
      In for later. Thanks for sharing!

Vehicles
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      09-03-2019 01:49 PM #15
      Holy ****. I thought I saw on another thread that you picked up a Touring but I wasn't snooping for a thread. What a beaut.

09-03-2019 01:56 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      I called just to see what they wanted ADM-wise. The answer was "nothing" but I had to buy this bizarre 991.2 C2S with some sort of sticker/option package on the car that they couldn't move. I can't even remember what it was called now, but it had these big gaudy black number stickers all over it and it was expensive, but they would come off the sticker a lot. Hell no.

Long story short after telling them hell no many times, we finally came to an agreement. I did technically own another 911 I haven't told you guys about, but only for a couple of weeks, and I actually never even saw it
      I haven't the patience for such silly games, this would've put me off from the start
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993
      09-03-2019 02:13 PM #17
      Congrats!

I didn't realize they still made people jump through hoops for these. My former boss had no hassles from Circle Porsche with his GT3 Touring.

Here it is from a drive we did when he first got it. Yes, we were accompanied by his friend in an XJ220 .

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

19. Member
      Vehicles
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      09-03-2019 02:44 PM #18
      I have broad shoulders with a 50" chest
      Way to bury the lede there hulkster. Glad you're liking the car. I think even if I had unlimited funds, nothing out there would encourage me to spend them over a GT3 touring. I agree with you about the gearing, that's always been my complaint about P cars and probably why I really only feel moved by the Turbos; they have the stump pulling torque to overcome it on the streets.

In to see how it holds up over time if you tend to keep it!

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      09-03-2019 02:47 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      I haven't the patience for such silly games, this would've put me off from the start
      Tell me about it. I told them to pound sand and legitimately thought the deal was dead more times than I can correctly remember. Each time they kept coming back and after a month a bickering it worked out. I'm surprised I didn't run out of patience, but I think since I fully expected it to not work out, I never really gave it a ton of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Congrats!

I didn't realize they still made people jump through hoops for these. My former boss had no hassles from Circle Porsche with his GT3 Touring.

Here it is from a drive we did when he first got it. Yes, we were accompanied by his friend in an XJ220 .
      Really cool. This was towards the end of the production run. The dealer knew the attention on the touring was going up. The day I bought my car the salesman told me they had several people ask to buy the touring, walking right past the badass 2/3RS on the showroom. One of my only criticisms for this car is the main reason most like it: it's a bit subdued for me. I want my race car to look like a race car.

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Living the dream! Thanks for the review. I agree that the Touring is probably the pick of Porsche's whole range if you can afford it. It's too bad it seems like nobody makes a shorter final drive for these....
      No shorter final drive. It would cost an arm and a leg and the stock one fits the character of the car and motor perfectly....just not a great match for speed limits, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Congrats!

Glad you got the black window trim, the aluminum looks nasty IMO.
      I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Thanks for taking the time to finally write this for us.

Glad you're enjoying the car; I love that these don't look crazy, it's a nice subtle looking automobile, with the only hint at what it really is are the gigantic brakes.
      Yep. It looks special and mean going down the road...wider and lower than normal. It stands out, but people can't figure out why. I can see folks squinting to try to read the tiny GT3 touring badge to figure out what it is at lights.

Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      I think the touring is definitely the sweetheart of the GT bunch... given the choice of any GT product, this would be the one. Yours looks great with the side stripes. Although the 911R with the green or red stripes is my favorite look.

Also, great review, seems like it's definitely a fun car to drive! A good intake noise definitely adds some theater to the drive experience. I'd like to hopefully one day swap in an S54 with a carbon airbox to my M3... dat noise.
      The intake and exhaust note on this car blend together seamlessly into these "chord" type sounds that are just insane.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ‘18 Raptor crew cab

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      09-03-2019 02:51 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      Way to bury the lede there hulkster. Glad you're liking the car. I think even if I had unlimited funds, nothing out there would encourage me to spend them over a GT3 touring. I agree with you about the gearing, that's always been my complaint about P cars and probably why I really only feel moved by the Turbos; they have the stump pulling torque to overcome it on the streets.

In to see how it holds up over time if you tend to keep it!

The turbos are a whole lot less in your face than the GT cars, but still a ton of fun.

I also finally figured out what that bizarre C2S was. "Endurance racing package." A $34k option!! Behold, this is the actual car Dude who bought it had the decals pulled. Don't blame him

Last edited by Toaster29; 09-03-2019 at 02:53 PM.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ‘18 Raptor crew cab

Vehicles
      14 JGC Hemi, 69 Camaro SS 396
      09-03-2019 03:18 PM #21
      Honestly your review was better than any magazine I've read.

Also, your GT3T would match my Camaro's theme, so I'll have to keep it in mind when you inevitably sell it for a Chiron 300p.

Real question is how many jackets would I need for my 38" chest?
      Formerly Internal Combustion (4/2007)
      1969 Camaro SS 396- 396, M21 4 sp manuel, usual goodies
      14 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 17 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
      Old: 335xi, E320, Accord, WK, TJ, ZJ 5.9, Camaro, Prius

Vehicles
      2003 S2000, 2008 Lexus GS350, 2015 Lexus GX460, Kawi Z125
      09-03-2019 03:19 PM #22
      the noises and experience of the GT3 are the exact same thing i get sometimes in my s2000, people just don't get the sound and spinning an engine into the stratosphere until their in one. beautiful choice on the car/color and best of luck with it!
      Quote Originally Posted by capsaicin View Post
      AP1 S2000? I can not in good conscience talk you out of that. May your slip angle be great and your bed not be the couch!

09-03-2019 04:35 PM #23
      since I fully expected it to not work out, I never really gave it a ton of attention.
      yeah, I bought a motorbike like that once

"Endurance racing package." A $34k option!!
      Was this a customer order that got bailed on or did the dealership order one like that
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      14 Boxster 12 Wrangler
      09-03-2019 04:53 PM #24
      Love this car and your spec. So would you sell your RS3 first or this one if you were forced to?

I want to get the porsche stripe for my white car but want to get it in white so it's like a ghost effect.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      09-03-2019 06:31 PM #25
      Congrats on the new car! I saw one of these and a Carrera T at the local porsche dealer local to me this weekend. Such nice cars. I'd be happy to settle on a T, but man the gt3 sounds spectacular. Your description of the high rpms noise reminds me a bit of the bmw s65 motor above 6k rpms. There's a lot to like about high revving higher displacment motors----and not much compares to them when you have the space to wind them out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast