The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Been slacking. My GT3 touring review

1. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Speed Triple R, 07 Cayman S
      09-03-2019 07:27 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Toaster29 View Post
      Yep. It looks special and mean going down the road...wider and lower than normal. It stands out, but people can't figure out why. I can see folks squinting to try to read the tiny GT3 touring badge to figure out what it is at lights.
      No lie, I've already calculated the amount of locums work I'll have to do after residency in increments of Porsches. The GT3 Touring is basically pinnacle Porsche for a certain group of people. It has that ultimate amount of nerd/enthusiast cool. Thanks for the write up. This is pretty much the dream car.
      Last edited by XiaoNio; 09-03-2019 at 07:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      09-03-2019 08:46 PM #27
      Anybody who reads my threads knows that I've had the touring for the better part of 8 months now.
      I mainly look at pics and "speed read"

Nice car here is my question, assuming you have to evacuate in a hurry during a natural emergency situation and can only take one car, which one of your cars would you take with you?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      09-03-2019 08:50 PM #28
      Interesting build! Touring/LWBs is a bold combo, but as you say I think that should do really well as a collectible and so should the 6MT.

Someone took delivery of a touring at our local dealer a few months ago, and I totally get what you're saying about the type of attention it gets. I saw it in the service bay and immediately knew it was special but couldn't put my finger on it until I got close enough to see the wheels.

Vehicles
      E39 M5 | 987.2
      09-04-2019 12:43 AM #29
      Fantastic write up!

Shame you had to go through the silly games but worth it in the end.

I'm wondering if the shifter cable has no plastic sockets like the aftermarket ones from Numeric Racing. The shifting feel you described is how mine is after the cable update, so I guess you could say we have pretty similar cars.

BRB, checking out prices on 996 GT3s.

6. 09-04-2019 01:20 AM #30
      Awesome

Vehicles
      2005 Corvette Z71, 1998 Corvette
      09-04-2019 06:17 AM #31
      So where does the line for this magical, life changing 2-3 shift experience start? I'm ready to be convinced.

Thanks for the write up and congrats again on the car.
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

8. Member
      Vehicles
      Evo VIII, BMW e12, XTerra
      09-04-2019 09:03 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      So where does the line for this magical, life changing 2-3 shift experience start? I'm ready to be convinced.

Hello, I would also like to reserve a spot in line.

Vehicles
      Civic Type R & RSV4 RR
      09-04-2019 11:54 AM #33
      Every Toaster thread is goals. You’re like me if I wasn’t broke. Getting the exact cars I dream of owning.

Vehicles
      2018 911 T
      09-04-2019 01:06 PM #34
      Great writeup, congrats! I'd definietly go Touring as well given the choice.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      09-05-2019 07:10 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post

You have to first buy a 1-2 shift experience before they'll let you get in line to buy the 2-3 shift experience.

Congrats OP. It looks beautiful!

Vehicles
      2018 GT3 Touring, 2019 RS5 Sportback, 1987 560SL
      09-06-2019 05:16 AM #36
      Great Review - I think you nailed the character of this car. I picked up my GT3T a little over a year ago - I also spec'd the buckets. This is the best car I've driven. Enjoy

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      09-06-2019 06:41 AM #37
      Perfectly spec'd car. Congrats.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      B6 S4 Avant
      09-06-2019 11:08 AM #38
      Can the GT3 Touring be ordered with a rear wiper? A funny thought, because I would imagine a good number of GT3s never see rain, but I'm partial to my rear wipers.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/PSE/Sport Chrono
      09-06-2019 11:20 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      Can the GT3 Touring be ordered with a rear wiper? A funny thought, because I would imagine a good number of GT3s never see rain, but I'm partial to my rear wipers.
      Have you had a Porsche (911 or Cayman) before? In my experience, that window actually cleans itself quite well on a rainy day just due to aerodynamics and doesn't really need the wiper at all.
      I definitely thought the same coming from a Golf -> Cayman... but I basically never needed to even clean the rear window. Even in winter, I just turn on the defrost and the snow/ice falls off.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - SOLD!

16. Member
      Vehicles
      B6 S4 Avant
      09-06-2019 02:15 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      Have you had a Porsche (911 or Cayman) before? In my experience, that window actually cleans itself quite well on a rainy day just due to aerodynamics and doesn't really need the wiper at all.
      I definitely thought the same coming from a Golf -> Cayman... but I basically never needed to even clean the rear window. Even in winter, I just turn on the defrost and the snow/ice falls off.
      I just really like the aesthetic of the rear wiper. Probably why I enjoy a manual trans so much, I'm an overgrown child and just want as many things to fiddle with as possible.

Vehicles
      '12 CC 6mt , ‘07 997tt, ‘16 Yukon, '16 XC90
      09-06-2019 02:22 PM #41
      Awesome build, and great review.

I always wonder if when you get a "custom" build, if you get too overwhelmed with all the options and can't decide on a direction to go with.

X...

18. Member
      Vehicles
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      09-06-2019 02:42 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Xanderips View Post
      I always wonder if when you get a "custom" build, if you get too overwhelmed with all the options and can't decide on a direction to go with.
      Not my thread, but for me the answer was a resounding yes. Over on Rennlist the Porsche configurator is generally understood to contribute to insanity.

Aside from budgeting, with all the options and some of them competing, you end up with a sort of push-pull between luxury/design/sport. Even though I knew exactly where I stood there (1. sport 2. design 3. luxury), I still ended up with lots of "what if I did this..." type questions.
      Last edited by ghost03; 09-06-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Vehicles
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      09-06-2019 03:34 PM #43
      People have a hard time simply deciding between the three types of seats: standard, 18-way, or the buckets.

Vehicles
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      09-06-2019 03:44 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Not my thread, but for me the answer was a resounding yes. Over on Rennlist the Porsche configurator is generally understood to contribute to insanity.

Aside from budgeting, with all the options and some of them competing, you end up with a sort of push-pull between luxury/design/sport. Even though I knew exactly where I stood there (1. sport 2. design 3. luxury), I still ended up with lots of "what if I did this..." type questions.
      I think in the end you have to remind yourself of why you're getting the car in the first place (e.g. the driving experience, the looks, etc.) and get whatever suits that. Otherwise it seems you can go too far down a path of optioning something like a GT3 to be a luxury cruiser, or get too concerned about resale potential. Ultimately, you're paying $150K or so and better get what you enjoy first and foremost.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      09-06-2019 05:45 PM #45
      Day-amn! Noice!
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Here we can all drive like Colin McRae in his prime, earn $25k a month and bang super models. We can also text and drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You only live once, and you can file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy every 8 years.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      991 Mexico Blue GT3; F90 M5
      09-09-2019 10:05 AM #46
      Beautiful touring congrats! Interested to hear a bit more of your thoughts on the comparison between this and your blue .1? Huge difference? I’ve heard many people say they actually prefer the higher tone of the .1 engine but I haven’t driven a .2 in anger yet.

09-09-2019 10:43 AM #47
      Congrats. I've built countless virtual 911s over the years using their online configuration tool. It must feel incredible to follow through on the deal and actually buy your dream 911 build.

Vehicles
      RS3, 997TT, Raptor
      09-14-2019 10:49 AM #48
      Sorry guys, busy couple of weeks without time to sit down and write much.

Quote Originally Posted by XiaoNio View Post
      No lie, I've already calculated the amount of locums work I'll have to do after residency in increments of Porsches. The GT3 Touring is basically pinnacle Porsche for a certain group of people. It has that ultimate amount of nerd/enthusiast cool. Thanks for the write up. This is pretty much the dream car.
      Interesting way to calculate it I didn't start doing that until I was a partner and started getting the bonuses, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      I mainly look at pics and "speed read"

Nice car here is my question, assuming you have to evacuate in a hurry during a natural emergency situation and can only take one car, which one of your cars would you take with you?
      Good question. I guess I would take the truck since it has the most utility and ground clearance. It also holds 36 gallons of fuel and has a lot of range to get out of areas with no fuel at the pump. Ultimately none of the cars i have would be that difficult to replace if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Interesting build! Touring/LWBs is a bold combo, but as you say I think that should do really well as a collectible and so should the 6MT.

Someone took delivery of a touring at our local dealer a few months ago, and I totally get what you're saying about the type of attention it gets. I saw it in the service bay and immediately knew it was special but couldn't put my finger on it until I got close enough to see the wheels.
      Exactly. I thought long and hard about the 4 ways in the touring, and the local dealership guys even frowned on the LWBS, but I didn't care. I wanted the buckets and I'm still glad I have them.

Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Fantastic write up!

Shame you had to go through the silly games but worth it in the end.

I'm wondering if the shifter cable has no plastic sockets like the aftermarket ones from Numeric Racing. The shifting feel you described is how mine is after the cable update, so I guess you could say we have pretty similar cars.

BRB, checking out prices on 996 GT3s.
      Not sure on the OEM hardware, but it is much better than my 997s are.

Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post

Let me know if you're even in Alabama, and we can go from there

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1.8t View Post

See above, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Ti View Post
      Every Toaster thread is goals. You’re like me if I wasn’t broke. Getting the exact cars I dream of owning.
      Haha, thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      You have to first buy a 1-2 shift experience before they'll let you get in line to buy the 2-3 shift experience.

Congrats OP. It looks beautiful!
      Thanks VW. I'm enjoying my time with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by glsturbo View Post
      Great Review - I think you nailed the character of this car. I picked up my GT3T a little over a year ago - I also spec'd the buckets. This is the best car I've driven. Enjoy
      The car is remarkable, as you know. Glad you went for the buckets as well,

Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      It cannot. I don't have an issue with rear wipers on 911s either. My first 997 turbo had one and I was rather fond of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanderips View Post
      Awesome build, and great review.

X...
      People who get overwhelmed with decisions on speccing their cars are the same people who get overwhelmed trying to pick out finishes in their houses, etc. I don't have that issue. I don't play the "what-if" games. I decide what I want, do some research, and then go for it. It's easy to get mired down in the small options, but honestly most people who end up going really custom end up with really tacky cars. I only made one change after I submitted my order, and that was for the deviated stitching I talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by strettyend View Post
      Beautiful touring congrats! Interested to hear a bit more of your thoughts on the comparison between this and your blue .1? Huge difference? I’ve heard many people say they actually prefer the higher tone of the .1 engine but I haven’t driven a .2 in anger yet.
      Overall, no its not a huge difference. The delta on the old one versus my new one was 55k. Is it worth that for an owner of a .1 who is happy with their car and would go with a PDK on the .2? No. The engine is better. The suspension a bit better. The looks subjectively a bit better. All small, incremental steps other than perhaps the engine which is a moderate improvement, though looking to be a big improvement in reliability. If you're wanting the 6MT, it is obviously the only way to go. The winged GT3s are coming down pretty quickly (relatively) now though, so the difference between the two would be a lot less $$ wise if you want to make the jump in the future. To be honest, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a PTS blue winged GT3 with all the goodies. I would let my touring go for the right shade of blue on one of those

Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Congrats. I've built countless virtual 911s over the years using their online configuration tool. It must feel incredible to follow through on the deal and actually buy your dream 911 build.
      It actually was. I normally don't get caught up in any of the sentimental BS, but I had a poster of a 996 over my bed in high school and in my door room in college that I would look at when I didn't quite feel like doing what I knew i should. I used to imagine would it would be like to go into a dealership and buy a car like this new. This is the first time I've done that, and it really was a bucket list item for me. It's not the smart money decision, but this particular car mattered to me enough to walk in with a cashier's check for it on delivery day. Small fry stuff at that dealership in South Florida, but a really big deal to me. I wanted it to be mine when I drove out of there.
      Last edited by Toaster29; 09-14-2019 at 10:52 AM.
      ‘18 GT3 touring
      ‘18 RS3: APR stage 2, BBS CI-R: 10.72 @ 130.5
      ‘18 Raptor crew cab
      ‘09 997TT 6MT: 65mm VTGs, 730 whp E85
      Past: Evo 8, R35 GT-R, F80 M3s, C6 Z06, 991TT-S/GT3, etc

Vehicles
      2005 Corvette Z71, 1998 Corvette
      09-14-2019 10:54 AM #49

Let me know if you're even in Alabama, and we can go from there
      Well that's a very generous offer and I went forget about it!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
      Last edited by CaleDeRoo; 09-14-2019 at 11:06 AM.
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      BMW X3
      09-17-2019 11:05 PM #50
      I also finally figured out what that bizarre C2S was. "Endurance racing package." A $34k option!! Behold, this is the actual car Dude who bought it had the decals pulled. Don't blame him
      https://www.switchcars.com/cars-for-...-endurance-rac

This one?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast