Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Eos Repair Question

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Eos Komfort
      09-03-2019 12:20 PM #1
      I bought a 2008 VW Eos used earlier this year (love it!), and immediately took it to the nearest VW dealer's service department for a once-over. They found several issues and I ran up a $2,000 repair bill. I figured, well, the previous owner did minimal maintenance and so it needed some work.

Almost immediately after I got the car back from the shop, the yellow "Check Engine" icon reappeared, so I brought it back to the shop. They said it was the gas cap, so I ignored it. Eventually I bought a new gas cap, but it didn't "click" either and it didn't solve the issue.

It's now 6 months later, and we brought the Eos back to the dealer for the scheduled oil change. We noticed it was hesitating on acceleration. After analysis, the shop manager said the diagnostic showed it was "burning lean". He also said at 118,000 miles, it's close to 120,000 miles and thus needs some additional standard maintenance, including replacing two belts and the water pump. He said if the water pump failed, it would leak onto another part and cause additional damage. The total cost: $1,800. They've had the car for 5 days now, because they had to order parts.

My questions are: Does this sound reasonable? What is the "standard maintenance" for 120,000 miles? Am I being taken by the dealer, or does this sound correct?

Your input and comments would be appreciated. Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-04-2019 08:23 AM #2
      I too have recently purchased an EOS.
      May I suggest you spend time researching the maintenance of this vehicle. This site has plenty of great information.
      I have spent many hours already getting to know this car in the two weeks since my purchase and have already completed several preventative tasks, even though the EOS has only 12,000 miles. As a result, even if you do not service the vehicle yourself, you are armed with the knowledge of what is wrong when an issue happens, and how to repair it, so you are at the mercy of a service shop, dealing with an uninformed owner.
      The owners manuals contain a service recommendation based on mileage for your EOS. This will help you to determine what needs to be done when, and is a good guide.
      Hope this helps.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Golf GTI
      09-14-2019 07:24 AM #3
      Looks like 118 k is the ditching point for these cars. I also just bought one. Yeah if you cant do everything yourself on these cars its going to get crazy expensive. Do read up on common items for an FSI motor. I'm about to1/2 pull the motor and do the timing belt and water pump today. My rule of thumb is if I dont have hard evidence the timing belt was done and it looks brand new when I open inspection cover. I do it. Its 260 in parts and fluids. And ive gotten labor down to 4 hours simce my 4th time doing this job. Change interval per vw is 7 years 70k whichever first. Think they have 8 hours labor for job too.