Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School Me; 2019 Accord Sport 2.0T

1. Member
      09-03-2019 06:38 PM #1
      I'm looking into buying a new one, 2.0T Sport with the 6 speed. Love how it drives and handles and there's so much room I can't believe it for how it drives, almost reminiscent of my old late 90's accords. So school me on these, fun facts, things to know, issues to worry about etc or is this business as usual with Honda and it'll never die. Thanks!
      2019 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T Manual
      1990 Audi Coupe Quattro
      1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW CC Sport 6spd MT
      09-03-2019 07:55 PM #2
      I recently replaced a 2015 VW CC with a manual, with a 2019 Accord Sport 2.0t with a manual.

The difference is profound. Here is a list of my observations.

1) The engine is awesome. Tons of power, and good fuel economy. And best of all, Honda engineered it to run on regular gas, so fill up are cheaper than they were with the CC, which required premium.

2) I like installing car stereos, so I always end up dismantling the interior and getting a good idea of how a car is put together. The CC was OK, but it has alot of Torx screws, and all the wiring is tightly packed. It also had so buzzes and rattles almost immediately after I drove it off the lot. The Honda's interior is a dream to work on. It can be pulled apart easily with bare hands, which sounds bad, but it fits together so solidly that you can pull it apart over and over and it is still like new. Panels snap together like VW, but unlike VW, none of the snaps break when you pull them off.

3) Honda Accord 2.0t comes with a full suite of driver assistance. Blind Spot, Adaptive Cruise, lane keeping, lane departure, rear cross traffic alert, traffic sign recognition, collision mitigation, etc. What's awesome is that they made all these things work with the manual, including adaptive cruise. The few automakers left that still offer manual on an upmarket car frequently say "auto only" for some of these features. The implementation of the ACC is particularly elegant.

4) It is roomy. Reallly really roomy. And the trunk is massive.

5) The infotainment, unlike most recent Honda systems, is excellent. Runs fast, crisp graphics, and full featured (no CD player though). Unfortunately, it sounds terrible. It's weird to me how they put so much work into the new infotainment, then put so little effort into making it sound good.

6) The manual itself is Honda good, but it has longer throws than I would like. I was able to install a GTI shift linkage into my CC which shortened the throws. So maybe the something similar will be available for the Accord. My main gripe is not with the shifter, rather, it's with the clutch. Specifically, the engagement point is much closer to the floor than it is to the top. It makes it tough to drive the car in a truly sporty manner. It just takes too long to shift. There has been much talk on Accord forums about the clutch and if there is any way to fix that, but I have seen no concrete solutions so far.

I really do love it. It oozes quality and I have no doubt it will last a long time. I'm not hugely enthusiastic about the looks of the rear third of the car. Other than that, I have zero complaints.
      Last edited by MazdaRehab; 09-04-2019 at 02:09 PM.

Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3 Performance
      09-03-2019 09:26 PM #3
      Buy one now OP. I doubt Honda will ever make another Accord with a manual paired to the hotter engine plus all the trimmings. It's a wonderful sedan in the wrong time.
      Slow Car Fast

Vehicles
      2002 Miata, 2006 Subaru STi
      09-03-2019 10:05 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by MazdaRehab View Post
      5) The infotainment, unlike most recent Honda systems, is excellent. Runs fast, crisp graphics, and full featured (no CD player though). Unfortunately, it sounds terrible. It's weird to me how they put so much work into the new infotainment, then put so little effort into making it sound good.

I really do love it. It oozes quality and I have no doubt it will last a long time. I'm not hugely enthusiastic about the looks of the rear third of the car. Other than that, I have zero complaints.
      What did you do to make it sound better? I'm pretty picky about sound quality and tiring of upgrading the stereo on all my previous vehicles leaves me browsing for cars that have good sound deadening and a good stereo from the factory. Did you make improvements to sound deadening or just audio / audio processing? Did you end up needing a DSP or other fancy equipment to interface with the stock HU?
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      You just saved 15% or more on Valentime's day by switching to friendzone.

Vehicles
      2014 Subaru BRZ Premium 6MT; 2018 Volkswagen Atlas 2.0T
      09-04-2019 08:21 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Buy one now OP. I doubt Honda will ever make another Accord with a manual paired to the hotter engine plus all the trimmings. It's a wonderful sedan in the wrong time.
      I agree. Potential future classic in that it is the ideal inflection point between past and future. One that is extremely unlikely to be repeated.

I want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Mechanical Engineer
      Former Nissan & BMW Salesman

Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      09-04-2019 08:50 AM #6
      2013 Passat SEL Premium Dieselgate
      Instagram!
      My flickr

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW CC Sport 6spd MT
      09-04-2019 01:19 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by sforsancho View Post
      What did you do to make it sound better? I'm pretty picky about sound quality and tiring of upgrading the stereo on all my previous vehicles leaves me browsing for cars that have good sound deadening and a good stereo from the factory. Did you make improvements to sound deadening or just audio / audio processing? Did you end up needing a DSP or other fancy equipment to interface with the stock HU?
      I added an amplifier, replaced the four factory speakers (but left the four factory tweeters in place), and installed a powered subwolfer under the passenger seat.

The factory speakers in the car are pathetic. The magnets are so minuscule, I literally laughed when I saw them. I replaced them with kicker d series speakers. Typical mid-range aftermarket speakers.

The factory stereo supposedly has 180 watts or something like that, but it doesn't even get loud before it distorts. I used an adapted t-harness (to preserve the factory wiring) and connected a Kicker Key Smart Compact Amplifier. This little amp has DSP functions, and will automatically set EQ's and time delay by going through a tuning routine using the included microphone. The Accord has big voids in the dash, so finding a place to stash the amp was easy. It sounds much louder and more crisp than the factory stereo, despite the fact that the power is supposedly equal.

To provide bass, I installed a Kicker compact powered subwolfer. It just fit under the passenger seat. I used an Audio Control LC2i to restore some of the bass roll off from the factory stereo, although I honestly don't know if it really helps. This isn't giant booming bass. But it is bass. I would equate it with the bass in a high end vehicle with an upgraded sound system.

Overall, I am now happy with the system. It still isn't huge sound, but it now is on par with the best factory stereos.

I did not touch sound deadening. In my opinion, the car doesn't need it.

Total spend - $700

Vehicles
      2002 Miata, 2006 Subaru STi
      09-04-2019 02:02 PM #8
      I added an amplifier, replaced the four factory speakers (but left the four factory tweeters in place), and installed a powered subwolfer under the passenger seat.

The factory speakers in the car are pathetic. The magnets are so minuscule, I literally laughed when I saw them. I replaced them with kicker d series speakers. Typical mid-range aftermarket speakers.

The factory stereo supposedly has 180 watts or something like that, but it doesn't even get loud before it distorts. I used an adapted t-harness (to preserve the factory wiring) and connected a Kicker Key Smart Compact Amplifier. This little amp has DSP functions, and will automatically set EQ's and time delay by going through a tuning routine using the included microphone. The Accord has big voids in the dash, so finding a place to stash the amp was easy. It sounds much louder and more crisp than the factory stereo, despite the fact that the power is supposedly equal.

To provide bass, I installed a Kicker compact powered subwolfer. It just fit under the passenger seat. I used an Audio Control LC2i to restore some of the bass roll off from the factory stereo, although I honestly don't know if it really helps. This isn't giant booming bass. But it is bass. I would equate it with the bass in a high end vehicle with an upgraded sound system.

Overall, I am now happy with the system. It still isn't huge sound, but it now is on par with the best factory stereos.

I did not touch sound deadening. In my opinion, the car doesn't need it.

Total spend - $700
      Thanks for the info! Happy to see a typical 4 channel upgrade is satisfactory. Sounds like a pretty standard upgrade with some choice pieces to make sure it all went in cleanly. Also, that's great that you're confirming that it doesn't need sound deadening. My old Honda and Subaru in the past have needed a ton and that's a ton more work over just the speakers, amp and sub.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote View Post
      You just saved 15% or more on Valentime's day by switching to friendzone.

Vehicles
      2012 Kia Forte EX
      09-04-2019 02:12 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by hotshoe32 View Post
      I agree. Potential future classic in that it is the ideal inflection point between past and future. One that is extremely unlikely to be repeated.

I want one.

Thirded. This is gonna be just like the 6 speed V6 Accord Sedans are/were: very desirable, nigh impossible to find and priced at a premium. Everything about it from the look to the feel to the drive is right on the money.

If I had my **** together...this would be it. Sucks that I don't yet.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      09-04-2019 02:13 PM #10
      My parents bought one back in the spring, a leftover 2018 2.0t sport with all the options for like $27k out the door. It's a great car, even with the 10-speed auto. And apparently very underrated from Honda. Dynos are showing they are really about 300hp stock and are tunable.
      Last edited by Hostile; 09-04-2019 at 02:16 PM.
      iain

12. 09-04-2019 02:21 PM #11

6) The manual itself is Honda good, but it has longer throws than I would like. I was able to install a GTI shift linkage into my CC which shortened the throws. So maybe the something similar will be available for the Accord. My main gripe is not with the shifter, rather, it's with the clutch. Specifically, the engagement point is much closer to the floor than it is to the top. It makes it tough to drive the car in a truly sporty manner. It just takes too long to shift. There has been much talk on Accord forums about the clutch and if there is any way to fix that, but I have seen no concrete solutions so far.

I wonder if there are shifter box kits that will eventually come out, though most of them seem like monstrosities that take up all of your center console on the older cars, I'd prefer one that hides under a shift boot. Interesting to hear that the clutch engages close to the floor, especially when most of my hondas have engage close to the top it pisses off most of my friends. Are there any different slave cylinders available without the fluid restrictor?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-04-2019 02:43 PM #12
      I just wish they were AWD. Can't do peg leg FWD (or RWD for that matter) anymore. Other than that and the turbo 4 popper (I think the V6 could do the same FE with the same transmissions) they are really really really nice. I would say I'm hoping they put together all of Honda's best parts in the next ILX/TLX (basically graft over the RDX SH-AWD drivetrain) but I already have my mind set on a RWD coupe when the time comes.

In any case it's probably the best all-around FWD 2.0T car. I'd even put it ahead of the GTI outside of dynamics. But Honda needs to give that engine and chassis the drivetrain it deserves.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW CC Sport 6spd MT
      09-04-2019 02:58 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I just wish they were AWD. Can't do peg leg FWD (or RWD for that matter) anymore. Other than that and the turbo 4 popper (I think the V6 could do the same FE with the same transmissions) they are really really really nice. I would say I'm hoping they put together all of Honda's best parts in the next ILX/TLX (basically graft over the RDX SH-AWD drivetrain) but I already have my mind set on a RWD coupe when the time comes.

In any case it's probably the best all-around FWD 2.0T car. I'd even put it ahead of the GTI outside of dynamics. But Honda needs to give that engine and chassis the drivetrain it deserves.
      I dunno. The 2017 V6 manual coupe got 21 combined MPG. The 2019 2.0t sedan gets 26 combined while being demonstrably faster.

As for AWD, I get that it would be an upgrade, but it would be an expensive upgrade, and not really necessary in my opinion. The car already stickers at 31,600. Ya gotta keep in mind that the average manual buyer is not rich. The sweet spot for this car in terms of market is already so narrow, Honda would probably price itself out of a market if they added more features to it. You get alot of people bellyaching about how they should have made the touring with a manual, but those same people probably can't afford a $38,000 car. I think Honda did a great job balancing cost and features in the 2.0t Sport Manual.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-04-2019 03:05 PM #14
      I dunno. The 2017 V6 manual coupe got 21 combined MPG. The 2019 2.0t sedan gets 26 combined while being demonstrably faster.

As for AWD, I get that it would be an upgrade, but it would be an expensive upgrade, and not really necessary in my opinion. The car already stickers at 31,600. Ya gotta keep in mind that the average manual buyer is not rich. The sweet spot for this car in terms of market is already so narrow, Honda would probably price itself out of a market if they added more features to it. You get alot of people bellyaching about how they should have made the touring with a manual, but those same people probably can't afford a $38,000 car. I think Honda did a great job balancing cost and features in the 2.0t Sport Manual.
      You are right- for the Accord AWD is prob a bridge too far and slicing the niche too thin. Plus that would come at the cost of the excellent gas mileage which is a selling point.

I guess my point is I'd love to see them put the RDX SH-AWD powertrain into a sedan of any brand. A new ILX or TLX with that powertrain would be awesome.

Vehicles
      Accord 2.0t, Pilot, E30
      09-04-2019 03:15 PM #15
      I would just be happy with an LSD with my 2.0 accord

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW CC Sport 6spd MT
      09-04-2019 03:16 PM #16
      You are right- for the Accord AWD is prob a bridge too far and slicing the niche too thin. Plus that would come at the cost of the excellent gas mileage which is a selling point.

I guess my point is I'd love to see them put the RDX SH-AWD powertrain into a sedan of any brand. A new ILX or TLX with that powertrain would be awesome.

Acura desperately needs a new ILX and especially a new TLX. If they could build a new TLX with huge horsepower and a manual in a crazy sport version reminiscent of the Civic Type R, I would get a second job so I could afford it.

18. 09-04-2019 04:38 PM #17
      You get alot of people bellyaching about how they should have made the touring with a manual, but those same people probably can't afford a $38,000 car. I think Honda did a great job balancing cost and features in the 2.0t Sport Manual.
      I agree the sport has more than enough features. In my anecdotal observing most that buy the top of the line want every toy including a smooth auto so Honda has made the right choice

Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      09-04-2019 05:06 PM #18

Vehicles
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      09-04-2019 05:41 PM #19
      Itís a great car all around, but itís just bigger than I like... and Iíve realized Iím a handling guy.

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW CC Sport 6spd MT
      09-04-2019 06:04 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by nyexx View Post
      Itís a great car all around, but itís just bigger than I like... and Iíve realized Iím a handling guy.
      It is quite large. In fact, by official government standards, Accord no longer is a mid-size. It has graduated to the large car category.

That said, the Sport handles pretty well, especially for a car of its size.

Vehicles
      2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
      09-04-2019 06:08 PM #21
      It is quite large. In fact, by official government standards, Accord no longer is a mid-size. It has graduated to the large car category.

That said, the Sport handles pretty well, especially for a car of its size.
      It handles well but there is no getting around the fact that itís a very large car. Just make sure you want something that big, if I had to do it again I would have got the Si.

Not trying to take anything away from the Accord, itís fantastic top to bottom; I just donít think it was the right car for me as a single early 20s male.

Vehicles
      91 318iS, 03 Forester
      09-04-2019 06:22 PM #22
      Relevant thread. Been eyeing up a newer accord, I really wish they made these in a wagon
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      91 318is M50 Swapped
      03 Forester

Vehicles
      Arteon SEL-P
      09-04-2019 06:24 PM #23
      My friend in NY got a 2.0t sport. He is really happy with it. The one thing he said he doesn't like is the button shifter makes it hard for him to get comfortable as there is no where to rest his hand.

Simple solution is to get the manual

09-04-2019 06:46 PM #24

The 2020 RLX Sport Hybrid is equipped with SH-AWD, but at $62k I'll take a Genesis G80 AWD 5.0 V8 instead.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Corolla 6MT, 2017 Golf
      09-04-2019 07:06 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      Yup. Would go with the GLI just because it has less rev hang.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast