VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

PSA: removing Alltrack plastic trim cladding

22K views 41 replies 28 participants last post by  goodvibes 
#1 ·
#15 ·
Plastic cladding is like jewelry, it serves NO purpose.
Actually, not really true. I found a use for it on mine. I used to have scratches all over the quarter panel on my BMW wagon, from leaning a bicycle against the car. I find if you lean the bike so that it rests on the plastic wheel arch trim rather than on the painted metal, you don't get scratches on the paint.

#16 ·
Okay, while I'd never go to the expense and effort to remove the cladding I fully get it why they want to remove it. While definitely not as garish and silly as the cladding on many vehicles (see "anything GM" and the old Subaru Legacy "pickup truck") I don't care for body cladding at all - it's a lame attempt to make a vehicle look "bad ass" in my view. I was fortunate that VW offered the Sportwagen S with AWD and manual because that is PERFECT for me as I don't like leather seats like the Alltrack has. I do envy the green color available on the Alltrack though. Looking forward to seeing the final result!

Reactions: sn0man
#28 · (Edited)
Alltracks are just that whether used off road or not and the cladding prevents paint damage from dirt roads etc. Helps in parking lots as well. I can now open my drivers door in the garage, tap the snow blower intake that's next to me and not worry about any chips. Help with the salted roads we get here as well. Don't really care that much one way or the other but they do actually serve a purpose. I like them fine on my Gray Alltrack, especially with the raised suspension to give some wheel well fill. Wasn't a determining factor on my GSW vs Alltrack decision but don't find this application odd, cheesey or garish at all.

#18 ·
OP. After you remove the cladding are you planning to remove the fasteners on the rocker and weld up the holes?

What are the plans for the fascia where the added cladding parts attach? Do u have a photo of those areas? Perhaps you plan “R” front and rear fascias - now that would be cool.

Sent from device. Excuse errors.

#32 ·
For dirt road use etc, besides the cladding, the Alltrack also has some underbody protection for the il pan etc. It's not all just cosmetic though the cladding does slightly fill the extra wheel gap. If you lower it, you obviously don't care about that or any off road protection.

#33 · (Edited)
The oem at engine skid plate is pretty substantial. Its about twice the size as the GSW, and its twice as thick as the thinner padded one made in UK for diesel version.

I replaced mine with ECS Tunings aluminum skid plate that has optional reinforcing brackets, that are sturdier than the OEM braces for stock AT skid plate. I also put in the ECS tunnel brace/skid plate.

Spendy but worth it as insurance as I promptly got the AT hogbacked on a pile of rocks and gravel next weekend, on a mountain road whilst not paying close enough attention to my driving.

Took two hours of digging and propping rocks and wood under, Aussie and Baja solo self rescue, no damage except to pride.

I'm not sure the sand and gravel would have hurt the stock AT, but I felt better about bottoming out on metal vs various odd bits of stock undercarriage.

I went a lot of places I had no business going with a similar skid plate in my old 96tdi passatwagon, the predecessor to my SwissArmyKnifeAlltrack.

Peace of mind...[emoji1787][emoji120]
From my own bone-headedness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Some thoughts.

- At that time in certain parts of the US, GSWs were harder to find than ATs. And the US options made the AT a better value at anything other than the base options, especially with the discounts ($8K off sticker for me).

- I vinyl wrapped the silver trim.

- I Plastidip'd the plastic cladding.

Since it's a black car, from afar you can't tell the difference from a lowered GSW, other than it feels a little more aggressive with the wider track.

#40 ·
I just black wrapped out the top of them to where the indentations begin. What's left doesn't reflect outdoor light like the top, made it look so bright. You can see light hitting the top of the blacked out area
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Reactions: ORE_PDX
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.