VWVortex.com - What's my next step diagnosing VR6 ticking noise?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's my next step diagnosing VR6 ticking noise?

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta GLX
      10-01-2019 09:54 PM #26
      Test it again. My shift rod only made noise around 2-3K RPMs, but YMMV.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen GTI VR6
      10-02-2019 12:59 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by BlancaVR6 View Post
      Test it again. My shift rod only made noise around 2-3K RPMs, but YMMV.

I'll test again this weekend. I jumped in the deep end and ordered the shift rod bushings and will replace them anyway. The ones on mine were horrible and not holding on well to the tube, so I figured the $50 was probably worth it even if they're not the root cause of the issue.

I also ordered a valve cover gasket, intake manifold gaskets (4) and four new lifters. If the shift rod bushings don't remedy the ticking, I'll dig into the motor and test the lifters (found some factory info on testing). I figure four was a safe bet to address any bad ones. If I have more than four bad ones, then it will be worthwhile to order the rest and pull the top off the motor again later.

I'm still on the optimistic/positive side of a decision to not give up on this and ditch the car. That will be very sad as I love driving my old GTI. However, I can't afford to miss work because of one of these issues blowing up on me.

Wish me luck!

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen GTI VR6
      10-06-2019 12:23 AM #28
      So I installed the Gruvenparts shift rod bushings, and no effect on the tick, so that's definitively ruled out.

I then started into the top of the motor to get to removing the valve cover. All went well, including those PITA bolts in the front of the intake manifold, but I wasn't able to remove it, it wouldn't budge. I couldn't separate the intake manifold at the front of the car. All bolts were removed, and the rear of the manifold (cabin end) would move a bit. but it was locked solid to the motor in front. I put a lot of effort into moving it, even leveraging it with a long metal bar and, at one point, tried hammering a small flat-head screwdriver in between the manifold and motor where it should separate, to no avail. I couldn't separate them. After four hours trying everything I could think of, I gave up and reassembled everything. I reviewed other DIY's again and there's no mention of any force required to separate the manifold. The couple of videos I watched didn't seem to have any such issues. I'm thinking perhaps the PO made a gasket from a tube and not it's glued together...? Now what?

Any suggestions?

5. 10-07-2019 06:03 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by 01greengti View Post
      So I installed the Gruvenparts shift rod bushings, and no effect on the tick, so that's definitively ruled out.

I then started into the top of the motor to get to removing the valve cover. All went well, including those PITA bolts in the front of the intake manifold, but I wasn't able to remove it, it wouldn't budge. I couldn't separate the intake manifold at the front of the car. All bolts were removed, and the rear of the manifold (cabin end) would move a bit. but it was locked solid to the motor in front. I put a lot of effort into moving it, even leveraging it with a long metal bar and, at one point, tried hammering a small flat-head screwdriver in between the manifold and motor where it should separate, to no avail. I couldn't separate them. After four hours trying everything I could think of, I gave up and reassembled everything. I reviewed other DIY's again and there's no mention of any force required to separate the manifold. The couple of videos I watched didn't seem to have any such issues. I'm thinking perhaps the PO made a gasket from a tube and not it's glued together...? Now what?

Any suggestions?
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...k-on-a-12V-VR6

It shouldn't require any real force to remove. Did you remove all 8? 6mm? cap screws in front?

6. 10-07-2019 07:03 PM #30
      have you checked for any loose bolts around the engine mount?

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen GTI VR6
      10-07-2019 08:36 PM #31
      I counted 6 bolts, 4 in front, one on either side up towards the cabin. There's also the ground strap to the throttle body. I had followed that thread and got all bolts listed, but didn't get 8.

Last edited by 01greengti; 10-08-2019 at 12:51 PM.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen GTI VR6
      10-07-2019 08:47 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by garryt View Post
      have you checked for any loose bolts around the engine mount?
      What exactly am I looking for there?

9. 10-09-2019 11:09 AM #33
      I counted 6 bolts, 4 in front, one on either side up towards the cabin. There's also the ground strap to the throttle body. I had followed that thread and got all bolts listed, but didn't get 8.

I have an intake manifold removed (from a 3.2 but should be very representative) in the garage and if I can remember to take a pic tonight I'll post.... My recollection is there are 8 (or 9) screws in the front of the manifold in your 3 to 6 area. Things would go more smoothly if you get front end into "service position." Just search for the term here or on youtube. The manifold should come off very easily if all fasteners removed.

Vehicles
      2001 VW Jetta GLX
      10-09-2019 08:15 PM #34
      There's definitely more screws up there towards the front.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Tornado Red 2001 VR6 Jetta
      10-10-2019 01:32 AM #35
      That sounds like a cam follower/hydraulic lifter that won't pump up. Perhaps it has collapsed. Do you know what your oil pressure is?
      Last edited by 71Dubb; 10-10-2019 at 01:45 AM.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-10-2019 01:43 AM #36
      The two bolts you missed are on the lower middle portion of the intake flange. You really should pull your radiator support forward to access them correctly. If you have trouble finding the procedures PM me.

Last edited by 71Dubb; 10-10-2019 at 02:02 AM.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen GTI VR6
      10-10-2019 01:14 PM #37
      Thank you so much, that clarifies everything. I certainly did miss those two lower bolts. I hope I didn't do any damage in my attempts to separate the manifold. I'm out of town for the next week and a half, but once back I'll tackle this again and get all the bolts off this time. I've had the front end off before for an alternator swap, so will do that again.

Regarding oil pressure, I'm not sure what it is, is there an OBD reading for that? I seem to have good oil flow to the top end and can see a nice covering of fresh oil when I look in the filler cap. I'll run Torque with my ELM OBD reader and see if I can ascertain oil pressure values.

Yesterday my info display started showing crazy fluctuating MPG readings, but that's for another post.... What next <sigh> ?

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10-10-2019 04:36 PM #38
      Thank you so much, that clarifies everything. I certainly did miss those two lower bolts. I hope I didn't do any damage in my attempts to separate the manifold. I'm out of town for the next week and a half, but once back I'll tackle this again and get all the bolts off this time. I've had the front end off before for an alternator swap, so will do that again.

Regarding oil pressure, I'm not sure what it is, is there an OBD reading for that? I seem to have good oil flow to the top end and can see a nice covering of fresh oil when I look in the filler cap. I'll run Torque with my ELM OBD reader and see if I can ascertain oil pressure values.

Yesterday my info display started showing crazy fluctuating MPG readings, but that's for another post.... What next <sigh> ?
      I'm not sure about OBD or Vag-Com readings for oil pressure. Still learning about these cars myself. I installed an oil pressure gauge. Can't believe VW didn't. Let me know if you have any other questions.

15. Member
      10-11-2019 09:25 AM #39
      ... Regarding oil pressure, I'm not sure what it is, is there an OBD reading for that?
      Sadly, there is not.
      Kenji

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Volkswagen GTI VR6
      10-11-2019 04:54 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by 71Dubb View Post
      I installed an oil pressure gauge. Can't believe VW didn't. Let me know if you have any other questions.
      That's cool. Did you buy an aftermarket kit or DIY-it? Do you have more info?

17. 10-11-2019 05:09 PM #41
      https://i.imgur.com/x7yMSn8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ino13T4.jpg

Interesting. I get 9 screws... 3.2 but think it's the same as my 2.8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12