VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Bought a Ridgeline ... and It's Pretty Nice

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-16-2019 11:36 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by addictedtogum View Post
      2. the vehicle rocks fore and aft the second after you stop. Its subtle, but it drove me nuts.
      Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time I drive it. Hopefully you didn't just ruin the vehicle for me.

3. I was shopping used. I spent $28.5k on my fully loaded 2016 XLT, vs a similar year/mileage ridgeline was an RTL or sport. RTL-E (what I wanted) was $32+
      Ah, this makes more sense. I noticed that it seemed like a bad deal to get a used Ridgeline compared to a new one, which is why I decided to go new and not bother much with the used market.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Honda Pilot, C4S
      09-16-2019 11:47 AM #27
      I really like these things. But, my wife said to me "when have you ever wanted a truck?" and my answer is, "well, I never really wanted the Pilot that you had to have that I'm now dallying." She hates trucks, but I love them. I've always had one in the family. Being able to throw my bike in the bed would be awesome. It wouldn't **** with my parking sensors like my bike rack does.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      09-16-2019 12:13 PM #28
      I know I am in the minority, but I wish they would make one with a 6-foot bed so you could put a shell on the back and sleep in it. Otherwise, aside from no low range, it does 95% of the stuff I would want from a Tacoma and is much more comfortable/efficient/fast.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      -A lot of my buddies drive F-150s (one has a Raptor) and I could just hear them making fun of me
      My B-I-L has a contracting business (businesses/interiors/etc) and most of them drive Tundras, Tacomas and full-size domestics. One of the carpenters has a 1st-gen Ridgeline and they call him "Half Truck" in a good-natured way, haha.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      www.speed-driven.com
      09-16-2019 12:16 PM #29
      If I were in the market for a Ridgeline, I'd get the upcoming Hyundai Santa Cruz instead it just looks so good

Speed-Driven Wallpapers: http://www.speed-driven.com

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      09-16-2019 12:16 PM #30
      Timing belt is only issue with these.

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-16-2019 12:40 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I know I am in the minority, but I wish they would make one with a 6-foot bed so you could put a shell on the back and sleep in it.
      They do offer this:

which is pretty neat since it still gives you access to the 110V outlet and the trunk via zippers.

The Ridgeline's bed is 64" long, so not quite 6', but still longer than the regular bed option on the other mid-sizers.

Also, FWIW, the Ridgeline's bed is wind enough to support a full-size air mattress in the tent.
      Last edited by Smigelski; 09-16-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-16-2019 12:45 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Dieselstation View Post
      If I were in the market for a Ridgeline, I'd get the upcoming Hyundai Santa Cruz instead it just looks so good

Well, the Hyundai Santa Cruz Concept from 2015 looks good, yes. But when the hell will it come out and what will it look like? Who knows. I know its "slated for production" but that doesn't really mean much.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      09-16-2019 12:46 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Dieselstation View Post

Meh. Might look cool but the bed looks small. Not a real 4 door crew cab. More of a "look at me" vehicle than something that has real utility. Will not be a big seller if this is its final form.

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-16-2019 12:51 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      They are usually due around 105k miles, I think. I usually don't like timing belts, but I probably won't even have the truck that long. Even if I do, it won't be a big deal to do the service one-in-a-lifetime (for me).

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      09-16-2019 12:56 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      They do offer this:

which is pretty neat since it still gives you access to the 110V outlet and the trunk via zippers.

The Ridgeline's bed is 64" long, so not quite 6', but still longer than the regular bed option on the other mid-sizers.

Also, FWIW, the Ridgeline's bed is wind enough to support a full-size air mattress in the tent.
      I definitely admire all the features and the tent is pretty cool .

But I want sealed storage, enough room to sleep in it (I am 5' 10" so I juuuust fit in a 6-foot bed) and zero setup.

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-16-2019 12:57 PM #36
      I definitely admire all the features and the tent is pretty cool .

But I want sealed storage, enough room to sleep in it (I am 5' 10" so I juuuust fit in a 6-foot bed) and zero setup.

Yeah, I figured as much. There's a big difference between parking, unrolling a sleeping bag, and going to sleep versus setting up a tent, etc.

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      09-16-2019 01:01 PM #37
      Considering it's a Honda and drive very well on road, they need to make a driving oriented version.
      Ridgeline Si or Sport with maybe lower suspension and sport tires?

And yes, if you want an awd quad cab truck and you don't need excessive hauling/towing capabilities, the Ridgeline is a great buy imo.
      Styling is still not it's strong point though.

14. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      09-16-2019 01:11 PM #38
      2. the vehicle rocks fore and aft the second after you stop. Its subtle, but it drove me nuts.
      The one you drove had excess brake rotor runout which can happen for a variety of reasons. This is not an inherent trait of Ridgelines (or any vehicle)

Interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time I drive it. Hopefully you didn't just ruin the vehicle for me.
      Just like any vehicle, don't hose the wheels off after driving it for hours on-end, and try not to overheat the brakes.

Maintenance is a terrible issue.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      09-16-2019 01:15 PM #39
      Yeah, I figured as much. There's a big difference between parking, unrolling a sleeping bag, and going to sleep versus setting up a tent, etc.
      Your garage is basically my dream situation, with a Miata for ripping around in and a truck for trips. I am thinking about a base Tacoma ext cab with the SX package (SR with wheels and fender pkg) if I ever get around to doing anything.

16. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      09-16-2019 01:33 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      But from a purely practical perspective, the Ridgeline makes a ton of sense.
      no joke

im not a fan of the styling of this current version, but as others have mentioned for how 95% of most single occupant commuters use their pickups this is the smart choice.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      09-16-2019 01:54 PM #41
      Good write up OP. As we have begun our home improvement project in full swing I find myself looking on CL for inexpensive trucks. What a bunch of junk for the most part and I don't really need a full size truck. I also already have four cars in the garage and no real room for a fifth unless I want to juggle spaces all the time or leave on outside.

I'm hoping when my wife is done with her Passat I can convince her to look at something like this for the replacement.

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-16-2019 02:24 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Considering it's a Honda and drive very well on road, they need to make a driving oriented version.
      Ridgeline Si or Sport with maybe lower suspension and sport tires?

And yes, if you want an awd quad cab truck and you don't need excessive hauling/towing capabilities, the Ridgeline is a great buy imo.
      Styling is still not it's strong point though.
      Great. Now I'm googling Si badges to through on the tailgate.

09-16-2019 02:30 PM #43
      Your garage is basically my dream situation, with a Miata for ripping around in and a truck for trips. I am thinking about a base Tacoma ext cab with the SX package (SR with wheels and fender pkg) if I ever get around to doing anything.
      My wife and I are heavily considering a 4Runner TRD Off-Road. Everything we do is outdoors and her car is falling apart actually so new car pretty soon!

I wanted a sports car, but doesn't make sense for us and our purposes.

This could be my first Toyota

Last edited by Engineer90; 09-16-2019 at 02:33 PM.
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-16-2019 02:35 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Good write up OP. As we have begun our home improvement project in full swing I find myself looking on CL for inexpensive trucks. What a bunch of junk for the most part and I don't really need a full size truck. I also already have four cars in the garage and no real room for a fifth unless I want to juggle spaces all the time or leave on outside.

I'm hoping when my wife is done with her Passat I can convince her to look at something like this for the replacement.
      Since the Ridgeline is the first automatic vehicle I've bought since I was 18, my wife is contemplating driving it. And when we need to upgrade her Civic, she just might take over the Ridgeline and I can get something else.

My dad always told me that once I owned a truck, I'd never want to be without one. And a month or so after I bought my Ranger in 2012 I realized he was right. They are just so damn convenient. Just throw stuff in the back and go. I've already thrown a couple of exhaust systems and a load of alcohol in it.

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-16-2019 02:37 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
      My wife and I are heavily considering a 4Runner TRD Off-Road. Everything we do is outdoors and her car is falling apart actually so new car pretty soon!

I wanted a sports car, but doesn't make sense for us and our purposes.

This could be my first Toyota

I really like the 4Runners. I was considering them before the Ridgeline (hell, I was considering everything at that point), but I would have needed a trailer to go with the 4Runner. I think they are great, and at least they come with the older 4.0L engine, which is a huge plus.

09-16-2019 02:44 PM #46
      I really like the 4Runners. I was considering them before the Ridgeline (hell, I was considering everything at that point), but I would have needed a trailer to go with the 4Runner. I think they are great, and at least they come with the older 4.0L engine, which is a huge plus.
      That older 4.0L is bulletproof... the truck is reliable in every way plus the TRD Off-Road has a rear locker which is a huge plus . This is why I want the current 5th gen 4Runner. We can afford a Wrangler but they're more expensive than a 4Runner and I don't trust FCA products...

Do you plan a lot of outdoors adventures with your Ridgeline esp since you wanna get a bed tent?

We deff do, we want to do a lot of car camping or take us as deep as we can into forests and then do backpacking camping. Our cars can barely get us there also, huge plus to do more skiing!
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

23. 09-16-2019 02:46 PM #47
      Every 100k or so doesn't seem so bad, and a former tech I know still does them on the side, he pretty much mastered j series timing belt replacements. Though he's seen several cases of people bringing in 200k mile honda V6s on the original belt and tensioner still running

24. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      09-16-2019 02:49 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      Though he's seen several cases of people bringing in 200k mile honda V6s on the original belt and tensioner still running
      It's very common.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-16-2019 02:54 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
      That older 4.0L is bulletproof... the truck is reliable in every way plus the TRD Off-Road has a rear locker which is a huge plus . This is why I want the current 5th gen 4Runner. We can afford a Wrangler but they're more expensive than a 4Runner and I don't trust FCA products...

Do you plan a lot of outdoors adventures with your Ridgeline esp since you wanna get a bed tent?

We deff do, we want to do a lot of car camping or take us as deep as we can into forests and then do backpacking camping. Our cars can barely get us there also, huge plus to do more skiing!

I'm probably not going to get the bed tent (though it is really cool). I have tons of camping equipment, but I haven't really been camping since I met my wife (it's not really her thing). I be I can convince her to try it once. Once.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-16-2019 03:10 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      Every 100k or so doesn't seem so bad, and a former tech I know still does them on the side, he pretty much mastered j series timing belt replacements. Though he's seen several cases of people bringing in 200k mile honda V6s on the original belt and tensioner still running
      Whats a timing belt replacement cost, like $700? Every 100k miles? That's really not bad, especially considering all of the service prior to that probably consists of $35 oil changes and the odd $150 transmission or brake fluid change.

In fact, aside from maybe brakes and tires, I bet the entire cost to maintain a Ridgeline to 100k miles is around $700.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast