VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I Bought a Ridgeline ... and It's Pretty Nice

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      09-16-2019 03:51 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      Since the Ridgeline is the first automatic vehicle I've bought since I was 18, my wife is contemplating driving it. And when we need to upgrade her Civic, she just might take over the Ridgeline and I can get something else.

My dad always told me that once I owned a truck, I'd never want to be without one. And a month or so after I bought my Ranger in 2012 I realized he was right. They are just so damn convenient. Just throw stuff in the back and go. I've already thrown a couple of exhaust systems and a load of alcohol in it.
      The lack of a manual might be the only thing that makes my wife not want one. Her last four cars have been manuals after never having driven one before that and she wants another. By the time she is ready for a new car there might not be any manuals left anyway.

I had a GMC Sierra for a while and loved having a truck. However the wife didn't enjoy parking it and it had the "scissor" doors which was not fun with a rear facing baby seat. I think size wise she would be fine with the Ridgeline just not sure if she'll be into having an automatic.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Honda Accord 2.0 manual | '19 Tundra TRD Sport | '17 X3 35i
      09-16-2019 03:52 PM #52
      Congrats OP, nice purchase! I had a first generation RL for 9 years and just gave it to my son. With the independent suspension in all corners, you won't find a better riding pickup. Yeah I know to some it's not a "real" truck, but it's all that most of us need.

I wanted a change and first looked at the Tacoma. I hated it. My old Ridgeline rode so much better and had significantly more interior space than the new Tacoma I drove. I then test drove a Tundra and I was sold....

I am actually OK with the looks of the new RL. The weak feature for me is the rounded front end. But overall it is a great package...enjoy!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      09-16-2019 04:06 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Considering it's a Honda and drive very well on road, they need to make a driving oriented version.
      Ridgeline Si or Sport with maybe lower suspension and sport tires?

And yes, if you want an awd quad cab truck and you don't need excessive hauling/towing capabilities, the Ridgeline is a great buy imo.
      Styling is still not it's strong point though.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      09-16-2019 04:22 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      The lack of a manual might be the only thing that makes my wife not want one. Her last four cars have been manuals after never having driven one before that and she wants another. By the time she is ready for a new car there might not be any manuals left anyway.

I had a GMC Sierra for a while and loved having a truck. However the wife didn't enjoy parking it and it had the "scissor" doors which was not fun with a rear facing baby seat. I think size wise she would be fine with the Ridgeline just not sure if she'll be into having an automatic.
      Tacomas are available with a manual...

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-17-2019 07:38 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by DY View Post
      Tacomas are available with a manual...

I thought long and hard about getting a manual Taco (I love manuals). But in the end, I just couldn't do it. The Taco is just too compromised of a vehicle for my needs and it doesn't even come with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto (though it does finally get Apple Carplay for 2020).

7. 09-17-2019 07:51 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      The one you drove had excess brake rotor runout which can happen for a variety of reasons. This is not an inherent trait of Ridgelines (or any vehicle)

Just like any vehicle, don't hose the wheels off after driving it for hours on-end, and try not to overheat the brakes.
      no. this did not happen WHILE braking, this was AFTER the vehicle stopped. i also noticed on brand new RLs and used RLs.

heck, maybe it was all in my head.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      09-17-2019 08:01 AM #57
      I thought long and hard about getting a manual Taco (I love manuals). But in the end, I just couldn't do it. The Taco is just too compromised of a vehicle for my needs and it doesn't even come with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto (though it does finally get Apple Carplay for 2020).
      I agree. I was looking forward to test driving it...sounds cool a truck with a V6 and manual....! As mentioned, not impressed. They must impress a lot of folks though as the Tacoma is a huge seller with incredible resale value. The reliability must be a major selling point.

Vehicles
      09-17-2019 08:03 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by addictedtogum View Post
      no. this did not happen WHILE braking, this was AFTER the vehicle stopped. i also noticed on brand new RLs and used RLs.

never noticed this in 2 years. i do get "sticky" rotors after backing out of driveway and pulling forward.

only huge issues for me is a/c is weak after heat soak/stop and go traffic but this is FL

10. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      09-17-2019 08:06 AM #59

I've never experienced this in the 23+yrs I've worked on/for Honda.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      09-17-2019 08:33 AM #60

My Tacomas used to do something similar, they would dive like crazy under braking then pop back up when you let off. If you didn't ease off, it would reverberate a little bit. I think its the combination of a tall vehicle, not a whole bunch of anti-dive geometry, weird weight distribution, body flex and damper tune. I got used to it pretty quickly though and found myself driving around it without thinking about it.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      09-17-2019 09:26 AM #61
      I really like these trucks, they seem really pricey though once you leave the base model. Could be I am just slightly out of touch with this though.

Whatever you do, don't read Facebook comments on any Ridgeline ads or posts, man some people are so insecure. Just lots of angry people claiming how its not a real truck and stuff, sheesh.

Vehicles
      09-17-2019 09:40 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonk2Hossa View Post
      I really like these trucks, they seem really pricey though once you leave the base model. Could be I am just slightly out of touch with this though.

Whatever you do, don't read Facebook comments on any Ridgeline ads or posts, man some people are so insecure. Just lots of angry people claiming how its not a real truck and stuff, sheesh.
      i get comments in person whenever @ HD/Lowes, most on the "buy american" which is 100% laughable and others just want to look in my trunk. I even had to convince forklift guy loading pallet into back it was ok.

why i picked up the rts, wanted poverty + awd, no sunroof, and under 30k

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Outback 3.6R
      09-17-2019 10:10 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by rich! View Post
      i get comments in person whenever @ HD/Lowes, most on the "buy american" which is 100% laughable and others just want to look in my trunk. I even had to convince forklift guy loading pallet into back it was ok.

Yeah like others have said, unless you're in a rural area doing a lot of serious work with your truck I am guessing something like the Ridgeline could fit a lot of people well. I think it's a cool market segment they're appealing to and would love to test drive one some day. The GF needs a new car soon and she likes small trucks, but I am thinking this will be out of her price range unfortunately.

Vehicles
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      09-17-2019 11:56 AM #64

The Ridgeline, Odyssey, and Pilot are all basically tied for second place (behind the Jeep Cherokee) for the 'Most American Vehicle.'

https://www.cars.com/american-made-index/

When you look at the specs of the Ridigeline, the only thing it's really down on compared to the mid-size competition is towing capacity. Fine, I get it. But I can still haul my ND, an aluminum trailer, and a bed full of spare wheels/tires, tools, etc and still be 1,000 lbs under the tow rating. What more do I need?

And for the insecure people: I drive a Miata. I own a Minature Goldendoodle. My last truck was a base-model 10 year-old Ranger. Obviously I'm not looking for validation from others.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      09-17-2019 12:01 PM #65
      And for the insecure people: I drive a Miata. I own a Minature Goldendoodle. My last truck was a base-model 10 year-old Ranger. Obviously I'm not looking for validation from others.
      I had a regular cab Ranger briefly as well. Whenever I would take it to the dealer for warranty work or service, they would call or page me on the intercom: "Mr. Adrew, you can come on back to the service area, your little Ranger's ready." They always said "little."
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

17. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      09-17-2019 12:25 PM #66
      Obviously I'm not looking for validation from others.
      How dare you make a smart decision. You've been judged.

09-17-2019 01:51 PM #67
      i get comments in person whenever @ HD/Lowes, most on the "buy american" which is 100% laughable
      Do these half brained nitwits realize that a lot of Hondas are assembled and manufactured here in the good US of A giving a lot of 'Murican decent jobs?
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      09-17-2019 01:57 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
      Do these half brained nitwits realize that a lot of Hondas are assembled and manufactured here in the good US of A giving a lot of 'Murican decent jobs?
      Didn't you answer your own question?

09-17-2019 02:52 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      Didn't you answer your own question?
      These are the same "they took er jerbs" types
      2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      09-17-2019 03:06 PM #70
      I'm afraid a Tacoma would be too "trucky" for the wife as a daily. I like them a lot but I think the Ridgeline would be the sweet spot aside from a lack of manual. And she always has "her" Cabriolet to drive if she wants to row gears.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf Alltrack SE DSG
      09-17-2019 04:36 PM #71

Interesting because a base F150 is about $40k

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      09-17-2019 04:36 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
      Ranger's ride is getting hammered in reviews. One reviewer got sick.

Hopefully the updated Ranger and Bronco will be better.

Again, congratulations. Like it a lot.
      I can echo this. The FX4 Ranger rides AWFUL. The rear end suspension setup/shock valving is not set up correctly, causing a "pitching" motion fore and aft while going down the road. The regular Ranger rides much much better.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike, bluBRZ
      09-17-2019 04:50 PM #73
      The more I learn about Ridgelines, the more they become the only truck I would buy.
      たくさんとうふ、よ Where did all these damn Toyotas come from?
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!
      nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, kuhlBRZ

25. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Honda, Ducati
      09-17-2019 05:00 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      The more I learn about Ridgelines, the more they become the only truck I would buy.

Vehicles
      '11 TTS Coupe
      09-17-2019 05:20 PM #75
      I have had a new RTL-E since 2017. My favorite thing about it is how much people hate on it.
      Its been almost bullet proof. The ONLY thing that has ever gone wrong in 2 years ownership was the drivers side front park sensor was self triggering after taking it thru a car wash. That's it.

CONS:
      Rear door access (cheap and easily fixed diy) the only reason I can think of for why it comes this way from the factory is with the shorter door stops its easier to grab the door handle if you are sitting in the rear seats. Its a big improvement to swap the door stops.
      AC is a little weak when its way over 90deg. But honestly its not that bad.
      Brakes could be slightly better for "Truck Stuff" and I'll eventually upgrade the pads but I've been doing a lot of mountain driving. More of a want than a need.
      a con which is actually a pro; people flash their high beams at me all the time because the LED headlights are super bright. This happens mostly when I'm going uphill on the mountain so they maybe aim a little high when haulassin uphill. I only occasionally Laser blast them back with the also super bright Hi's if they are extra dicky about it to prove to people I actually DIDNT have the high beams on.

PROS:
      Everything already mentioned.

Honestly I think its a decent value and I compared all the same trucks. Toyota will nickle and dime you until you are at the same price or more for similar features.
      Just couldn't get with the Colorado, and the Ranger hadn't come out yet.

I actually like the looks but think Honda might consider giving it a more "trucky" facelift one of these days. But you have to just get with the reality that they share parts from the Pilot, and Passport. Maybe then more "manly men" will consider buying 'Mericuh's most 'Merican Truck.

I've been restoring a Cabin at 7200 feet so here's the Man Stuff that I "Git Er Done" with my Honda up and down the hill.

Multiple Refrigerators
      Couple Stoves
      that Microwave
      Huge ass Couch
      Several chairs
      Multiple Queen Size and a King Bed
      Lots of Cabinetry
      Air compressor and Nailers all fit easily in the Bed Trunk
      Load after load off to the dump
      A big ass direct vent fireplace
      Countless lumber and ply
      Doors and Windows
      The small ass couch
      A whole house worth of HVAC ducting
      The big AC unit
      Cement mixer
      Many a bag of Concrete and Rock
      Big ol MANLY saw you would be impressed by (that I have totally plugged into the bed and cut stuff all day)
      Every tool known to man
      My wifes Motorcycle
      Two 60 lb Doggos
      '11 TTS Coupe
      '08 A4 Avant 2.0t S-line Titanium
      '01 A4 Avant 1.8t S-line (Sold)
      '90 Coupe Quattro 20v (Sold)
      '95 "Getta" VR6 (Sold)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast