VWVortex.com - Production 2020 Porsche Taycan officially revealed in top-end Turbo and Turbo S guises
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Production 2020 Porsche Taycan officially revealed in top-end Turbo and Turbo S guises

1. 09-04-2019 02:19 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Less power, fewer driven wheels, way less standard performance and driver-assistance stuff. Typical base Porsche fare.
      Yup. And from experience I felt so let down by my zero option (poverty spec) 991.1 that I would never do a lightly optioned Porsche again.

If you can't get a bunch of options on a Porsche it doesn't feel special. Sad but true.

Better to get a highly optioned cheaper car than a lightly optioned expensive car me thinks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      09-04-2019 02:19 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

Time for another, what vehicle should hawc buy thread?

(I'm leaning facelifted S4...)
      But....

It's not electric.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

4. 09-04-2019 02:21 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      But....

It's not electric.
      Funny story. About 20 years ago I bought one of the first HD TV. It was a Sony. It was CRT. It weighed about 500 lbs. There was only two channels broadcasting in HD (I think CTV and CBS at the time) and only like one show a week in HD (I think CSI Miami or something) It was a total waste of money.

Long story short, might be better to wait a little longer on new tech. Not be an early adopter on this electric stuff.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-04-2019 02:24 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      My thoughts exactly. But otherwise, this looks really really good. I don't think Tesla should be worried per se, but I think this will finally be a real competitor and not just a "close enough" effort.
      Market needs something that looks this good at about 1/4 the price. No need for the eyepopping performance; I imagine most $50K EV buyers would rather have fast charging and range.

09-04-2019 02:42 PM #55
      Yup. And from experience I felt so let down by my zero option (poverty spec) 991.1 that I would never do a lightly optioned Porsche again.

If you can't get a bunch of options on a Porsche it doesn't feel special. Sad but true.

Better to get a highly optioned cheaper car than a lightly optioned expensive car me thinks.
      I thought you liked the zero option 991 at the time?

I always respect people that don't play the games, and go zero options besides ones that affect the performance.

Vehicles
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      09-04-2019 02:59 PM #56
      I wonder how much eGolf tech is in this thing. There's gotta be a few parts right?

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I'm having a hard time getting past the nomenclature. What's with Germans and their weird lack of precision with naming convention. As I seem to recall, Audi confused supercharging and turbo charging. And now Porsche is calling their all electric car by terms that are only relevant for ICE vehicles. Why not take the opportunity to come up with new naming conventions. I guess that extra time would have amounted to a more expensive car?

I like this more than a model S, for certain.
      This is the number one complaint I've heard about the car. Honestly, who cares?

T stood for forced induction on Audi models.

Turbo doesn't exclusively stand for "forced induction driven by exhaust pressure" – it has long stood for "faster" in modern English.

It's skeuomorphic, I'll give you that.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      09-04-2019 03:17 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Market needs something that looks this good at about 1/4 the price. No need for the eyepopping performance; I imagine most $50K EV buyers would rather have fast charging and range.
      Can it look a bit frumpy and be from an unreliable company?

9. Member
      Vehicles
      20 years of German cars led to this: 2016 RAV4 hybrid, 2020 Prius Prime
      09-04-2019 03:34 PM #58
      Porsche named their 800v fast charge system "Porsche Turbo Charging" so I guess they are allowed to use the turbo name on the Taycan.

10. 09-04-2019 03:51 PM #59

This is my wonder on this, is poverty spec going to be anything that you remotely want? What does the price have to reach to get to that point?

The tech is great here though and I'm interested to see how long it can charge at 270kw

09-04-2019 04:02 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by silverlegacy View Post
      The tech is great here though and I'm interested to see how long it can charge at 270kw
      I'm sure it's a curve based on SoC, same as pretty much any advanced rechargeable battery.

12. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      09-04-2019 04:04 PM #61
      Funny story. About 20 years ago I bought one of the first HD TV. It was a Sony. It was CRT. It weighed about 500 lbs. There was only two channels broadcasting in HD (I think CTV and CBS at the time) and only like one show a week in HD (I think CSI Miami or something) It was a total waste of money.

Long story short, might be better to wait a little longer on new tech. Not be an early adopter on this electric stuff.
      That's pretty much all technology, hell, anything really.

The person that paid for a new Corolla 20 years ago probably really wishes now that they had the one you could buy today. Same with computers, cameras, and phones... Pretty much anything else we use on a daily basis. It's always getting better.

Just depends on if you want the experience now, or you're willing to wait for it.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

13. 09-04-2019 04:04 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      I thought you liked the zero option 991 at the time?

I always respect people that don't play the games, and go zero options besides ones that affect the performance.
      I though I did at the time, but as I look back on it, more and more that car was so underwhelming other than looks. Had SOOOOOOO much more fun and better memories in the Cayman.

14. 09-04-2019 04:07 PM #63
      Hey what's the deal with autopilot with this car? Does it have it? Anything like it?

Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3 Performance
      09-04-2019 04:34 PM #64
      Hey what's the deal with autopilot with this car? Does it have it? Anything like it?
      I don't think so amigo. I also don't think the other Porsche products have anything good. There were some Autopilot related leaks with the Taycan but I didn't see anything mentioned officially Also lower efficiency if my napkin paper math is correct by something like 40% compared to Tesla. That's the piece of engineering that surprises me. Almost the same battery size, better drag coefficient, but waay worse MPGe.
      Slow Car Fast

Vehicles
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      09-04-2019 04:41 PM #65
      It can be had with Porsche's InnoDrive system
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

09-04-2019 04:43 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      Almost the same battery size, better drag coefficient, but waay worse MPGe.
      ...with huge performance tires
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

18. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-04-2019 04:44 PM #67

Sad, yes. True? That is exactly the opposite of the way I feel about it. I couldn't care less about the gee-gaws and they indeed don't make it feel "special" to me. I'm all about the basics. Throttle response, pedal placement, steering feel, matched gearing. Things like that.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      87 BMW God's Chariot, 16 VW Sorority Special
      09-04-2019 04:50 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      I don't think so amigo. I also don't think the other Porsche products have anything good. There were some Autopilot related leaks with the Taycan but I didn't see anything mentioned officially Also lower efficiency if my napkin paper math is correct by something like 40% compared to Tesla. That's the piece of engineering that surprises me. Almost the same battery size, better drag coefficient, but waay worse MPGe.

So, I like the Taycan and am excited to see them on the road and am glad Porsche/VWAG is in the electric game for real.

BUT.

This just goes to show you that a majority of the Tesla hate is purely irrational. Porsche/VWAG have billions of engineering dollars, a carte blanch approach to corporate electriciation, the benefit of over a decade of electrification advancement prior to their entry, AND mitigation of market risk for high-dollar EV entries that Tesla paved with the initial high-po Model S and Model X. Yet here we are in 2019 and they are just releasing a car that:

• is less efficient than a Tesla
      • is slower than a Tesla
      • has less range than a Tesla
      • has fewer functional driver aids than a Tesla
      • has way more screens than a Tesla
      • seats fewer people than a Tesla
      • has a smaller charging network than a Tesla
      • costs far more than a Tesla
      • is made of more foreign parts than a Tesla

About the only thing this has on a Tesla is this mythical beast called 'fit and finish'. And maybe (maybe) worker's labor conditions. Anyone want to rebuke me?

20. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      09-04-2019 04:50 PM #69
      Keep in mind all these auto pilot systems are basically radar cruise control. Yes some will nudge the wheel and turn it a bit but if youre expecting your car to completely drive itself it wont.

21. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      09-04-2019 04:52 PM #70
      InnoDrive is optional https://www.autotrader.com/car-tech/...it-work-268972

22. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      09-04-2019 04:52 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post
      So, I like the Taycan and am excited to see them on the road and am glad Porsche/VWAG is in the electric game for real.

BUT.

This just goes to show you that a majority of the Tesla hate is purely irrational. Porsche/VWAG have billions of engineering dollars, a carte blanch approach to corporate electriciation, the benefit of over a decade of electrification advancement prior to their entry, AND mitigation of market risk for high-dollar EV entries that Tesla paved with the initial high-po Model S and Model X. Yet here we are in 2019 and they are just releasing a car that:

• is less efficient than a Tesla
      • is slower than a Tesla
      • has less range than a Tesla
      • has fewer functional driver aids than a Tesla
      • has way more screens than a Tesla
      • seats fewer people than a Tesla
      • has a smaller charging network than a Tesla
      • costs far more than a Tesla
      • is made of more foreign parts than a Tesla

About the only thing this has on a Tesla is this mythical beast called 'fit and finish'. And maybe (maybe) worker's labor conditions. Anyone want to rebuke me?

As I said in the other big Taycan thread, there will be 2 buyers. Ones that are after the badge and the others that already own a P car and want this instead of a Panamera in their fleet for hauling the family.

And I'm far from a Tesla fanboi

Vehicles
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      09-04-2019 05:08 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Vehicles
      9.5 Brannock
      09-04-2019 05:27 PM #73
      Absolutely stunning, but at that price, it still won't outrun a Model S P100D to 100mph and its range is looking to be not insignificantly inferior (370mi vs ~280mi). A gorgeous thing and as much as I love Porsche, it's a stretch. Hopefully the lesser model will at least be a close match to the 75D.

25. 09-04-2019 05:30 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by DrivinAW8 View Post
      About the only thing this has on a Tesla is this mythical beast called 'fit and finish'.
      That 'mythical beast' is very real. Fit & finish on Teslas are awful and about the best there is on a Porsche.

26. 09-04-2019 05:55 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I'm sure it's a curve based on SoC, same as pretty much any advanced rechargeable battery.

I'm sure it is and tied with heat too. The Audi E-Tron is shaped differently than the typical Tesla rate. I wonder if this is closer to that, or if the taper from 270 is similar to the Model 3's taper from 250.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast