VWVortex.com - are you satisfied with your current car?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: are you satisfied with your current car?

09-07-2019 03:29 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by chocofrappe55 View Post
      Not really. 3-series is pretty sporty and is generally enjoyable to drive, and I've had plenty of time in that too. C-class... is just... a MB Camry. If you haven't driven it... don't bother, it won't excite you. It has a beautiful interior, it's solidly built but... but it's just boring as hell like any other well-composed, well-built car that's focused strictly on comfort. It won't bring any smiles to you. There's absolutely nothing special about the way it rides/handles. It's a great car for a woman who just wants to commute A to B in comfort and style, but it's a terrible choice for a car guy who likes to drive. C-class will suck your soul. CLA will blow it back into you.
      Meh. I don't think I'd go there. And the C43 is hardly an MB Camry. Maybe a standard C Class, but this thing is not that. I wouldn't be caught dead in a CLA, it's a badge and that's all it is. My car is damn fast through a canyon road, comfy down the freeway and generally a good car. The reason I'm not a huge fan is the car is too precision, it has grip for days and days and days. Ask Miles or Brendan or any of the guys that have seen this car work. It's ****ing outrageous how hard and how deep you can push this thing. It just doesn't have that intangible quality. It's the thing that that the E36 M3 or E39 M5 have. This car is just sterile, it does everything so well that its just there. My E36 M3 was the best car I've ever had and the most fun to drive. Sure I had an Active Autowerks turbo setup on it, but damn if that car didn't just get it right. It was more than enough fun as an NA car. I wax poetic about that car, but so does everyone else, and for good reason. That's what I'm looking for. It's not that the C43 isn't one of the best and most rowdy of it's class, it's just not for me. To call it a MB Camry however is completely missing the mark.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      09-07-2019 04:04 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by whalemingo View Post
      My car is damn fast through a canyon road, comfy down the freeway and generally a good car. The reason I'm not a huge fan is the car is too precision, it has grip for days and days and days. Ask Miles or Brendan or any of the guys that have seen this car work. It's ****ing outrageous how hard and how deep you can push this thing.
      I've seen it in action. It's silly fast, but nothing got blown into me except for some of SoCal's finest rocks, and the smell of the brakes.

But seriously though, that thing hauls. Mid corner out was insane. You could get on the throttle so much sooner than me, and it's not like it's slow when you put the hammer down. Hearing you describe it though reminds me of my thoughts on the F90 M5. Insane speed. Just not fun speed.

Sounds like you need a CLA for that fun speed.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      09-07-2019 04:38 PM #78
      Well, I've broken the 2 year mark without trading it in, so I'd say yes. I like how I can still get 40MPG with the hammer down most of the time. Its comfortable and roomy. And it looks great.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      His: 2015 WRX Limited Hers: 2017 WRX Limited
      09-07-2019 05:02 PM #79
      I agree with MonsterM. Very happy with my WRX. Still want a Tesla next, but if that doesn’t pan out, I’d gladly buy another WRX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      09-07-2019 05:13 PM #80
      Tl:dr - No, but I can’t think of anything that I can replace the two for without spending a ton of money

2014 Frontier - carries the same fuel economy ratings as a late model half-ton with a V8 and multi-speed transmission; needs better brakes (already threw Hawc pads at it, still not happy); would appreciate a bigger cabin which not a fault of the truck, as the size is comparable to the other midsizers.

Basically I want a half-ton, but with the Frontier being paid for, it doesn’t really owe me anything. Except I’m still trying to track down a shimmy at highway speeds.

Late model CC 4x4’s are going for $30k give or take, current truck is probably worth $16k? So it would be back to payments with a little one starting daycare in a couple weeks

2008 Outback - fuel economy is worse than I thought it would be (best so far is 22-23). With the amount of stuff that was worn out / that I fixed on the car, I worry about what’s next. But, I have about $5k into it and it’s worth that much. I don’t think I could get the same size, capability and better fuel economy for the same money.

Vehicles
      15 Outback 3.6R
      09-07-2019 05:16 PM #81
      I've put 68,000 miles on a 2015 6-cylinder Outback. It's a Vermont winter driving appliance. At the moment, it's filled with beach sand after summer of beach, bicycle, and sailing. It's totally adequate for my needs.

8. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      09-07-2019 05:24 PM #82
      I forgot to add to this thread about my car.

I have a thing for big sedans. When I bought it, it was replacing a MkVII as a DD, and I had an E9 as a weekend car.

Aside from the mileage, it did everything better than my GTI. By a long shot. Rode better, better audio, HUD, more power, more relaxing on the freeway. It was better in the canyons too.

Sold the E9, so the SS got pressed into weekend and fun duties. It's silly fast in the canyons, confuses people who don't know what it is, and after three years I can just jump in and have a blast without driving around a lot of nuances or short comings. During the week it's still a fantastic DD that's comfortable and reliable.

11/10 would buy again. It was everything I was looking for.
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata, montego NA8 .
      09-07-2019 05:29 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I forgot to add to this thread about my car.

I have a thing for big sedans. When I bought it, it was replacing a MkVII as a DD, and I had an E9 as a weekend car.

Aside from the mileage, it did everything better than my GTI. By a long shot. Rode better, better audio, HUD, more power, more relaxing on the freeway. It was better in the canyons too.

Sold the E9, so the SS got pressed into weekend and fun duties. It's silly fast in the canyons, confuses people who don't know what it is, and after three years I can just jump in and have a blast without driving around a lot of nuances or short comings. During the week it's still a fantastic DD that's comfortable and reliable.

11/10 would buy again. It was everything I was looking for.
      I really hope these come into my price range (with sub 100K miles) but like the Pontiac G8, I'm not expecting any miracles. Will likely compromise and get an ATS or G70 stick.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

10. 09-07-2019 05:37 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Arctic92x View Post
      I agree with MonsterM. Very happy with my WRX. Still want a Tesla next, but if that doesn’t pan out, I’d gladly buy another WRX.
      ROFL my wife wants a Tesla. She asked if I was willing to trade the WRX for one. They are lightning fast but no way man. I will probably get the next gen WRX/STI/GTI/R in the future.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      His: 2015 WRX Limited Hers: 2017 WRX Limited
      09-07-2019 06:10 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      ROFL my wife wants a Tesla. She asked if I was willing to trade the WRX for one. They are lightning fast but no way man. I will probably get the next gen WRX/STI/GTI/R in the future.
      Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but the daily grind into and out of NYC sometimes makes me wish I had a easy appliance for traffic detail. That said, I get a lot of compliments on my car, I think I'd miss that, plus the pops and cracks from the exhaust in the tunnels when I romp on it. I guess I feel bad for the car sometimes because it deserves the back road twisties more than the gridlock traffic it sometimes gets.

12. 09-07-2019 06:16 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by Arctic92x View Post
      Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but the daily grind into and out of NYC sometimes makes me wish I had a easy appliance for traffic detail. That said, I get a lot of compliments on my car, I think I'd miss that, plus the pops and cracks from the exhaust in the tunnels when I romp on it. I guess I feel bad for the car sometimes because it deserves the back road twisties more than the gridlock traffic it sometimes gets.
      All jokes aside, I get it. The notchy shifter and short gearing suck in traffic. It can get old really quick.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Cadillac V-Sport
      09-07-2019 06:21 PM #87
      Very happy with my CTS V-Sport.

2014 GLI Edition 30 - DSG with Nav - Reflex Silver Metallic

Vehicles
      15 Rav4
      09-07-2019 06:28 PM #88
      Yes.

I've had the car for nearly 3.5 years.

If there was a problem, it would have been gone long ago.
      I reject geometry.

15. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      09-07-2019 06:35 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      I really hope these come into my price range (with sub 100K miles) but like the Pontiac G8, I'm not expecting any miracles. Will likely compromise and get an ATS or G70 stick.
      I really like having the sound of the LS3, but my friends ATS-V is a better car in every way.

16. 09-07-2019 06:46 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by squelchy451 View Post
      MB seems to be the more reliable of the German brands, based on personal anecdotes, but parts and service is still more expensive and frequent than a Lexus.
      Yes, I had an obligatory 1st month of ownership visit to MB service dpt with every single MB I had. But they're usually trouble free after that. Not a single issue with my CLA after 46k miles 100% in the city with crappiest roads ever. It's actually pretty rattle-free suprisingly, considering how stiff it is.

There is something special to a way MB drives in its serenity. You just won't hear auto journos talk about it because they're too busy driving on the canyon roads. It still baffles me to this day that these reviews don't do a highway segment, it's where most of my driving (and I imagine the same for most people).
      No there isn't. It was true, maybe, 10-20 years ago, but absolutely everyone has caught up. You know my 1st rental choice for "serenity" and long travel? Sonata. It beats MB in that regard. I drove the new C and E classes, and I had a 200 mile ride as a passenger in the prev gen S-class which is a surprisingly ordinary car, the ride reminded me of the Fuzion if I closed my eyes. I was pretty disappointed.

CLA has all the drawbacks of a MB with none of the benefits. Whereas a A3 keeps 90% of what's good about a A4 and sells it at 70% of the price, I don't get the CLA from any perspective (commuter, enthusiast, etc) unless you really want that badge.
      Depends on what you call a "benefit". To me it a) looks incredible b) very tossable and fun to drive 3) is smaller inside, feels and drives smaller, it's also ~200lbs lighter and it's obvious from the driver's seat. The drawbacks are: a) stiff but not uncomfortable ride, but I've had several Miatas and a few other stiff ride sporty cars, I enjoy that, it feels connected to the road b) snug interior, but again, I love small cars, and glove-fitting interiors. c) small back seat - I have a preschooler... what the hell do I need big back seat for for the next 10 years?

A3 is the blandest motherf-ing box on wheels, why do you even bring it up. It's like a mobile home next to Louver Palace... Jesus... If a flock of birds s%itbombed it it would look more exciting. I'd never pay a dime for an A3. It's not even on the list of "possible" purchases for me, regardless of price. It's as exciting to me as Mitsubishi Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      To a certain extent. If you want the substantial feel and bank-vault ride, you really don't get it anymore unless you step up to an S-Class. My dad has an E350W212 wagon and it just doesn't have the solid feel that the 211 had.

The C and CLA? Unless you go to an AMG, you really don't get any benefit of the MB brand, as these cars are loud, unspecial feeling and have brittle jittery handling in the name of "sporty".

Chris
      This is clearly a pathetic trolling attempt.

But I will bite.

MB handling is fine. C/E class handling is unspecial, yes. Jittery, no. Unless you drive over a broken pavement, but any car with stiff suspension will behave "jittery". The vault feeling is there too, yes. C-class is a small vault, it feels quite heavy and tank-like for a small car, E-class dilutes that a bit, just feels bloaty, and the S-class, and I can only speak of last gen, is just a big ordinary car. Sorry, it's not 1985 anymore. I wouldn't buy S-class even used. It's just a big boring sedan that aged very quickly. Its ride was ho-hum, the noise levels weren't all that great and the seats were average at best (I was reclined in the back and appreciated that, but the actual seat was mediocre at best).

Meh. I don't think I'd go there. And the C43 is hardly an MB Camry. Maybe a standard C Class, but this thing is not that. I wouldn't be caught dead in a CLA, it's a badge and that's all it is. My car is damn fast through a canyon road, comfy down the freeway and generally a good car. The reason I'm not a huge fan is the car is too precision, it has grip for days and days and days. Ask Miles or Brendan or any of the guys that have seen this car work. It's ****ing outrageous how hard and how deep you can push this thing. It just doesn't have that intangible quality. It's the thing that that the E36 M3 or E39 M5 have. This car is just sterile, it does everything so well that its just there. My E36 M3 was the best car I've ever had and the most fun to drive. Sure I had an Active Autowerks turbo setup on it, but damn if that car didn't just get it right. It was more than enough fun as an NA car. I wax poetic about that car, but so does everyone else, and for good reason. That's what I'm looking for. It's not that the C43 isn't one of the best and most rowdy of it's class, it's just not for me. To call it a MB Camry however is completely missing the mark.
      I know you have to justify your purchase. But you said it, the car is boring even with all that power and precision and superb ride/whavever. Yes, it's very capable, and in the skilled hands it will fly to the moon, but it's just lacking soul, e.g. is sterile, everything that makes a car a "driver's car". It's a robot. It's kind of like Miata vs SL550 argument. Which one you'd rather drive daily for fun?

This is why highly flawed cars like 4C, or Abarth and I put CLA in there (very low on the list but still) are so much fun. You focus too much on what's real MB and what not, and you judge the CLA based on S-class-ness. But it's not meant to be a typical highway hemorrhoid-caressing floater MB, it's meant to be a hot looking, fun-to-drive car for people with warm blood in their veins, it's meant to bring joy, not just lull you to sleep on your boring commute to your boring job and back to your boring life in a boring supercomfortable MB. See, I've had the CLA for years, and I love it to pieces, and you got your fancy AMG and you're bored with it so soon. But hey, at least you have a very highly respected model, lol, enjoy knowing that everyone on TCL respects you more than chocofrappe with his lowly CLA. But between us, who went just for the "badge"? I think you tried too hard "not to be caught dead in a CLA" and that speaks more of your insecurity than common sense. If you just wanted a fun car with MB style, you'd go for precisely CLA/GLA/45 for the same money. Because MB is not exactly known for making true "fun" cars, I don't know what you were thinking buying that fake AMG. CLA/GLA are the only fun ones there. Everything else is just heavy albeit capable (what a boring word!) GT with gobs of power, good for racetrack maybe, but boring for DDing. Get the A35/45 or wait for CLA35 if you want something fun.

I'm gonna sign off on this one, I'm sure trolls will follow with their usual stuff, but I personally won't try to derail the thread after this.

Vehicles
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      09-07-2019 07:54 PM #91
      My car is damn fast through a canyon road, comfy down the freeway and generally a good car. The reason I'm not a huge fan is the car is too precision, it has grip for days and days and days. Ask Miles or Brendan or any of the guys that have seen this car work. It's ****ing outrageous how hard and how deep you can push this thing.
      Your car is stock w/out the PE (performance exhaust) option, just imagine it with another 80-100hp, PE pops/crackles and Pilot Sport 4S tires. 0-60 in the mid 3's

Vehicles
      2018 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      09-07-2019 07:56 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Satisfied is a good word to describe how I feel about the TLX. For the daily grind it's very good. Quick, good natural sounds, good looking exterior, decent gas mileage, Honda reliability and aftermarket. I can def see myself in it indefinitely until I can get one of the performance coupes I really want, which will take kid #1 and potential kid #2 to be front facing to do

I know I legitimately like it because unlike the G/Optima I don't feel like there are any mods I need to do right away. Looking to see how long I can go before I feel the need to push that button
      I’ll co-sign this. I do wish the fuel costs were lower (I’m doing mostly city driving, so getting like 23 MPG with 93 octane) but I don’t really put a lot of use on it so it’s not burdensome. Just liberal guilt mostly.

I am waiting for the perfect EV or PHEV to come out for my needs and I’ll probably trade in. Might be 2021 model year.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT
      09-07-2019 08:17 PM #93
      Yes. I have a 2001 996 turbo (27k miles] and a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee (208k miles) . I love them both cause they do totally different things.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT
      09-07-2019 08:26 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by GINCH View Post
      Yup! Cant think of two cars I'd rather own!

Winter beater:

Summer daily:

Derek
      You sir, have what is known as taste.

I salute you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      2012 CTS-V Wagon 6MT w/ Recaro package - Stock. For now....
      2012 C63 AMG - P31/Eurocharged V5/Loaded option car -SOLD
      2011 Audi S4 6MT- Heavily modded -SOLD
      Co-Founder Momentum Nutrition LLC
      momentum-nutrition.com

Vehicles
      '76 2002, '89 964 C4, '18 Chevy Bolt
      09-07-2019 08:37 PM #95
      My 1989 Porsche 911 C4 now with 123k miles.

From the day I took it off the transporter to right now as I look out at my driveway, I have no regrets.
      Not saying it's been a perfect relationship. She needs and needs. And I'm a sucker and just give and give.

Anything that makes me smile, like this car does, is going to be with me for a very long time.
      ...oh, just 'F it.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1997 Jeep ZJ
      09-07-2019 10:06 PM #96
      R

MKVI R. I'm at 105,000 miles with no repairs only maintenance done. It's been a great car. Kind of a perfect car really. Am I bored with it after 5 years? A little, but there really isn't much out there that has AWD and manual transmissions to replace it with.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      09-07-2019 10:08 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      To a certain extent. If you want the substantial feel and bank-vault ride, you really don't get it anymore unless you step up to an S-Class. My dad has an E350W212 wagon and it just doesn't have the solid feel that the 211 had.

The C and CLA? Unless you go to an AMG, you really don't get any benefit of the MB brand, as these cars are loud, unspecial feeling and have brittle jittery handling in the name of "sporty".

Chris
      All the German offerings seem pretty commoditized at this point, but if there's one reason to get an MB IMO it's their interiors. Every detail- the color choices, the screen integration design, the speaker grills, the controls- seem to be best in class. I prefer their exterior designs to BMW/Audi as well. Back in the day when there was clear differentiation between the brands I could see the case for shopping elsewhere but that's damn near gone now.

24. Member
      09-07-2019 10:13 PM #98
      2014 ATS 2.0T RWD - The automatic trans is too slow to shift down; but the car has trouble free and a very smooth/quiet highway cruiser. Factoring in the price we paid (~27K), would buy again. At MSRP (42K), no way.
      2018 Type R - Wish the wheels were smaller so I didn't have to worry so much and it could be slightly more refined (when farting around), yet also noisier (when tearing around).

09-07-2019 10:22 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by chocofrappe55 View Post

I know you have to justify your purchase. But you said it, the car is boring even with all that power and precision and superb ride/whavever. Yes, it's very capable, and in the skilled hands it will fly to the moon, but it's just lacking soul, e.g. is sterile, everything that makes a car a "driver's car". It's a robot. It's kind of like Miata vs SL550 argument. Which one you'd rather drive daily for fun?

This is why highly flawed cars like 4C, or Abarth and I put CLA in there (very low on the list but still) are so much fun. You focus too much on what's real MB and what not, and you judge the CLA based on S-class-ness. But it's not meant to be a typical highway hemorrhoid-caressing floater MB, it's meant to be a hot looking, fun-to-drive car for people with warm blood in their veins, it's meant to bring joy, not just lull you to sleep on your boring commute to your boring job and back to your boring life in a boring supercomfortable MB. See, I've had the CLA for years, and I love it to pieces, and you got your fancy AMG and you're bored with it so soon. But hey, at least you have a very highly respected model, lol, enjoy knowing that everyone on TCL respects you more than chocofrappe with his lowly CLA. But between us, who went just for the "badge"? I think you tried too hard "not to be caught dead in a CLA" and that speaks more of your insecurity than common sense. If you just wanted a fun car with MB style, you'd go for precisely CLA/GLA/45 for the same money. Because MB is not exactly known for making true "fun" cars, I don't know what you were thinking buying that fake AMG. CLA/GLA are the only fun ones there. Everything else is just heavy albeit capable (what a boring word!) GT with gobs of power, good for racetrack maybe, but boring for DDing. Get the A35/45 or wait for CLA35 if you want something fun.

I'm gonna sign off on this one, I'm sure trolls will follow with their usual stuff, but I personally won't try to derail the thread after this.
      To be fair to the car I rarely ever keep anything more than two years. I also really don't need to justify my purchase. I do like the car, but it's just not for me. I bought the AMG because I wanted the AMG. IF I wanted a CLA I would have bought it, but I didn't because it is a sub par car. Plain and simple, it's too small and it lacks features that I wanted. I like the way the C class looks it really is a very pretty car. The CLA, not so much. I think you need to justify your purchase by constantly ****ting on everything else. The CLA is a **** car, it just is. It's not toss-able, it feels plastic and it doesn't look very nice. It looks like a shrunken down CLS, which is a pretty ugly car by itself, but at least the proportions work. I think my problem with the C43 is the same problem I would have with many modern sports cars, they are just too good and therefor not very exciting. It's a product of the engineering being too good for it's own good. Not because it's an inherently boring car. I think my car would be a much more exciting car if it were a strictly RWD affair. I think the AWD is what makes it sterile. The car does outperform anything else in it's class. The S4 and the M340 just don't live up to the fake AMG. It wins by every metric. If I wanted something that was in the same class as the A35/45 I would buy a Golf R all day everyday, that is the better car in every way.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Cayman, 2018 Alltrack
      09-07-2019 10:30 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by mitanokaseifu View Post
      MKVI R. I'm at 105,000 miles with no repairs only maintenance done. It's been a great car. Kind of a perfect car really. Am I bored with it after 5 years? A little, but there really isn't much out there that has AWD and manual transmissions to replace it with.
      MKVII?

The MKVI is a great looking car, one of those cars that I'd hold onto for as long as possible... or in my case until VW offers you an insane amount of money to buy it back because of some small N0X thing. Previous gens of A4's and BMW 3ers I feel the same way about. My neighbor has a sweet red B8 A4 (automatic unfortunately) with S Line package, it has a bit of pealing paint and I'm always tempted to tell her to get that fixed and drive that car for as long as possible.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast