Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Gordinho's Build - 1988 Cabriolet

Vehicles
      2002 A6 Quattro 3.0 V6
      09-07-2019 03:41 PM #1
      Hello all. My name is Mario. I've been away from this site for a while as I've been without a VW for some time. This is my 3rd Cabriolet... and hopefully my last. I'm the 3rd owner of this car. She's considered to be a soft project... but really, time will tell.

Here she is in her new home!

She runs pretty good, except when cold. Previous owner had done quite a bit of work: Fuel relay, fuel filter, injectors, spark plugs, wires, Hall sending unit, Coil, O2 sensor, vacuum lines, timing belt, lifters, timing gears, accelerator cable, shocks, springs, engine mounts, shifting linkage bushings, full exhaust system and catalytic converter.

Aside from the rough idle while cold, the fuel filler neck will need immediate replacement. Planning on doing that along with a new gas tank as well, figure I'm dropping the tank anyways... might as well put new one in. Plus, given the state of the neck, who know what crud has made its way into the tank.

2006 Audi A4
      1988 Cabriolet

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-07-2019 05:03 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by gordinho View Post
      Aside from the rough idle while cold, the fuel filler neck will need immediate replacement. Planning on doing that along with a new gas tank as well, figure I'm dropping the tank anyways... might as well put new one in. Plus, given the state of the neck, who know what crud has made its way into the tank.
      And past the fuel filter. Lets hope not much. CIS is expensive. You might as well replace the intank fuel pump. Do not buy a Vemo, they have a life cycle of just a few hours. Stick with VDO.

Vehicles
      2002 A6 Quattro 3.0 V6
      09-07-2019 06:07 PM #3
      What about these?

2006 Audi A4
      1988 Cabriolet

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '82 Rabbit 'vert, '03 BMW 325i Touring
      09-07-2019 07:23 PM #4
      Carter has been doing fuel system parts for decades, so I may lean that direction if those are all you're considering. I agree with Butcher, VDO is the best way to go, though.

It at least seems the PO kept it going. Lack of use is the worst for a CIS system. Fuel flow keeps things lubricated and helps keep moisture out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

7. 09-07-2019 09:03 PM #5
      Meyle and URO are parts to stay away from. Vemo can make some good cheap stuff, but after two in-tank pumps on my Cabriolet, I can say with experience, stay away from their fuel pumps. Even you get a lifetime warranty [and I can from my supplier] it's not worth installing it. Especially when you get stalling problems when it stops working.

I do not use the other manufacturers since they do not offer them.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '82 Rabbit 'vert, '03 BMW 325i Touring
      09-07-2019 09:17 PM #6
      I disagree with Butcher on Meyle parts, at least chassis parts. I've been using them for years on my e46 and they have proven to work well and be durable. Everyone has their own experience and opinions. I started buying them based on my parts suppliers recommendation. If he doesn't see them come back, that's a good endorsement for me.

Uro parts, OTH, I agree completely and won't touch them with someone else's wallet. The few bits from them I've come across over the years have been terrible quality and fit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2002 A6 Quattro 3.0 V6
      09-07-2019 11:30 PM #7
      Thanks all. I'm going to start with the filler neck. The tank itself on the outside looks to be in decent shape. I'm going to replace the neck and the small section of flexible hose. The car has no issues starting and the PO had done some fuel system work. After chatting with him quite a bit over several months, I believe him to be the type that routinely started the car at very least, to keep fluids flowing.

This is going to be a very slow project. I'm not going to rush anything and I fully intend on having the car be operable and in use as much as possible.
      2006 Audi A4
      1988 Cabriolet

Vehicles
      2002 A6 Quattro 3.0 V6
      09-11-2019 01:29 PM #8
      Fuel filler neck replaced. Still waiting on the replacement rubber hose. The original isn't bad, but I already ordered replacement and it will be here this week. When I dropped the neck, there wasn't a speck of debris in or near the rubber hose/tank connection.

2006 Audi A4
      1988 Cabriolet

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 Cabby
      09-12-2019 12:00 PM #9
      I went with Carter for my in-tank pump on our '90 and have had no issues in 2 years ~5k miles. It's nice and quiet, too.

Vehicles
      2002 A6 Quattro 3.0 V6
      Yesterday 02:01 PM #10
      Fuel neck replaced. Also changed oil and filter. Went with Mobil 1 10w-30... I might change to conventional???

Still a few things to sort out including vacuum lines, fuses, and bulbs... but she should be on the road soon.

Aside from the low idle, which I upped a bit since taking video.... anything blatantly wrong or needing addressing from what you can see?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QAWzLHPTXiwgDCB67
      2006 Audi A4
      1988 Cabriolet

13. Yesterday 02:34 PM #11
      I would stick with the synthetic and use MANN W719/30 oil filter. Both are better that what was offered when that engine was new. I would also use a thicker oil, but that's a personal preference.

If you are thinking that synthetic oils cause engines to leak, Google the information yourself. There are two camps, those that like synthetics and those that think it will cause issues. I have used synthetics in all of my cars/engines and have never had any issues including leaks.

Vehicles
      2002 A6 Quattro 3.0 V6
      Yesterday 03:41 PM #12
      Thanks. I’m ok with sticking with synthetic... running the 10w-30 now cause I had it on hand we’re approaching fall/winter here in NJ.

I just adjusted the alternator. It did quiet it down a bit.
      2006 Audi A4
      1988 Cabriolet