VWVortex.com - 2020 Land Rover Defender finally officially revealed — The rebirth of an icon, coming to the US
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Land Rover Defender finally officially revealed — The rebirth of an icon, coming to the US

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-11-2019 10:22 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Agree 100%--but there is no way to produce anything comparable to the old Defender for a broader global audience and make a profit on it.

Styling is one thing, but after watching a couple of videos on this, I think it'll be plenty capable for 95% of buyers who want to use it's off road capability while also becoming a style accessory purchase at a time when JLR needs just such a hit.
      For me, styling is the main thing I find objectionable; it just looks too gimmicky. The old Defender was the opposite of that, I wish they stuck with "plain utilitarian" styling instead of "tons of plastic bull****" styling, but no one asked me.

I'll drive one when the time comes, but I think it will be too $$$ the way I want it. The price comparisons with the Wrangler are a little off base; you can get a nearly loaded (upgraded stereo, heated seats and wheel, lockers, etc etc) for not a lot more than the starting price of the Defender, build them apples to apples and I bet there's a 20% price premium minimum for the Landie. Plus, 10-15% off the Wrangler is not hard to come by, even on a special order, the Defender will probably have a markup for a bit. Besides, I like taking the top and doors off my Jeep too much to give it up.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 09-11-2019 10:34 AM #102
      They turned an iconic off roader into a disposable fashion accessory.

4. 09-11-2019 10:36 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by tejlab View Post
      They turned an iconic off roader into a fashion accessory.
      What about steel wheels and vinyl seats says fashion accessory? Choose to see past some of the glitz and it's still an icon underneath. I like it:

Last edited by ice4life; 09-11-2019 at 10:42 AM.

5. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      09-11-2019 10:40 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      What about steel wheels and a vinyl jump seat says fashion accessory?
      So hip.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      09-11-2019 10:41 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Agree 100%--but there is no way to produce anything comparable to the old Defender for a broader global audience and make a profit on it.
      You always hear about how midsize trucks don't really cost much less to make than a full-size ... but Suzuki somehow manages to sell the body-on-frame, SFA/SRA Jimny for ~$25K in Australia which equates to ~$17k USD. It would be interesting to see what something with a $25k USD price point would have (more power, sturdier, a little bigger). The old Defender 90 was certainly beefier, but it was 160" long, had a 92" wheelbase and was 70.5" wide. The Jimny is 142" long (9" shorter than my Yaris!), 88.6" wheelbase and 64" wide.

I really want to see what the underlying hardware looks like. Obviously it has a longitudinal powertrain but I want to know if it is sturdy and tough or more like a Cherokee Trailhawk.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

09-11-2019 10:53 AM #106
      What about steel wheels and vinyl seats says fashion accessory? Choose to see past some of the glitz and it's still an icon underneath. I like it:
      The steel wheels will definitely be a fashion choice for many in these parts.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      MK7R & FXT
      09-11-2019 11:17 AM #107
      What's the brief history of the ingenium 2.0L & 3.0L?

Seems like the straight 6 is brand new to Jag/Rover?

Vehicles
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      09-11-2019 11:20 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by tejlab View Post
      They turned an iconic off roader into a disposable fashion accessory.
      The original Defender was absolutely a fashion accessory.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-11-2019 11:20 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      Just because people used it as a fashion accessory didn't make it a fashion accessory.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

09-11-2019 11:21 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Subaruski1 View Post
      What's the brief history of the ingenium 2.0L & 3.0L?

Seems like the straight 6 is brand new to Jag/Rover?
      It's just JLR's modular engine, similar in concept to what the German's are doing. The I4 and I6 are closely related. The I4 motor has been in use for a few years now.
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

09-11-2019 11:22 AM #111
      @Ryukein, I assume the new job means you're going to be back here more often now?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Just because people used it as a fashion accessory didn't make it a fashion accessory.
      Debatable

Vehicles
      2019 VW Atlas SEL R-Line, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      09-11-2019 11:27 AM #112
      Conversely, everything I've read so far indicates the new Defender will be highly capable off-road. So, even though there are a couple gimmicky features (mostly as options), I think it'll still have street cred. Like anything else, it'll see serious off-roading by its 3rd owners.

Vehicles
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      09-11-2019 11:29 AM #113
      ...okay

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      @Ryukein, I assume the new job means you're going to be back here more often now?
      Potentially
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

15. 09-11-2019 11:29 AM #114
      Come on. Around here, original defenders have been imported, restored, modified and been placed up for sale for near 6 figure amounts.

Nothing about that yells out utilitarian road legal tractor . . .

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-11-2019 11:33 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      Come on. Around here, original defenders have been imported, restored, modified and been placed up for sale for near 6 figure amounts.

Nothing about that yells out utilitarian road legal tractor . . .
      Just because it's fashionable to wear an LL Bean duck boot doesn't mean the LL Bean duck boot suddenly isn't good at the task it was originally created for. A GT3 is basically garage candy for a lot of collectors, that doesn't make it not a great car for the race track.

Vehicles
      F80 / TDI / LWB
      09-11-2019 12:02 PM #116
      If they offer the 2L diesel here, I'll be on my way to the nearest dealer to put a deposit down on a green 90.

Also, I spent many summers at a friend's farm near Cymmer, Wales. You better believe the farmers in the UK LOVE their Defenders. They use and abuse the hell out of em.

All of theirs were 90 single cabs with aluminum dog cages in the back for the sheep dogs. As the farmer said "blokes go in the cab, bitches (dogs) go in the cage."

Even after 25 years of hard labor, at least two of trucks are still on the road today:

https://www.regit.cars/car/l232fpy

https://www.regit.cars/car/l291fbo

Last edited by mikegilbert; 09-11-2019 at 12:15 PM.

18. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      09-11-2019 12:14 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      If they offer the 2L diesel here, I'll be on my way to the nearest dealer to put a deposit down on a green 90.
      rumor does suggest thats the case right? or maybe it was just the larger oil burner...

i looked at a few more of those launch videos. still think its gimmicky looking, but i may have to reserve final judgement until seeing one in person.

Vehicles
      F80 / TDI / LWB
      09-11-2019 12:17 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      rumor does suggest thats the case right? or maybe it was just the larger oil burner...

i looked at a few more of those launch videos. still think its gimmicky looking, but i may have to reserve final judgement until seeing one in person.
      The UK configurator has both diesels available now, but nothing in the US yet. I'm not 100% sold on the soft looks, but when the suspension is raised, it's definitely carrying some Defender DNA.

20. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      09-11-2019 12:19 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      The UK configurator has both diesels available now, but nothing in the US yet. I'm not 100% sold on the soft looks, but when the suspension is raised, it's definitely carrying some Defender DNA.
      i swear i saw in one of the review videos, or maybe it was an article, who knows it all blends together that the us was only slated to get one (the larger as i recall) diesel option. but not for another year+

i wonder if anyone is tuning those JLR diesels...

Vehicles
      Two fake rich sedans & one non-Prius hybrid
      09-11-2019 12:38 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      BUT BUT BUT... TCL told me the OG Defender was an honest to goodness utilitarian truck for every man and affordable to all!

Not the vain mall crawling and starbucks sipping elitist model that LR is trying to make it into!

*** adjusts rose classes to better stare you down with ***

22. 09-11-2019 12:57 PM #121
      Just because it's fashionable to wear an LL Bean duck boot doesn't mean the LL Bean duck boot suddenly isn't good at the task it was originally created for. A GT3 is basically garage candy for a lot of collectors, that doesn't make it not a great car for the race track.
      Going just on technical specs alone, the new Defender will walk all over the old Defender off road regardless of whether it has IRS or not. The water fording depth alone is nearly double what the original could do.

23. Senior Member
      09-11-2019 01:07 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      The water fording depth alone is nearly double what the original could do.
      This isn't the climate change suv thread

Vehicles
      2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 93 W124 gone to the glue factory
      09-11-2019 01:35 PM #123
      The price tag is what makes it a fashion accessory. If you could get one for just a bit more than Jeep money, I'd be serious about one. But this $70K - $100K stuff is ludicrous and completely against the spirit of the original. JLR will sell a few, but not for long.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

25. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2017 MINI Clubman JCW, 2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2017 MINI Cooper
      09-11-2019 01:38 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      The price tag is what makes it a fashion accessory. If you could get one for just a bit more than Jeep money, I'd be serious about one. But this $70K - $100K stuff is ludicrous and completely against the spirit of the original. JLR will sell a few, but not for long.
      Base price of a Defender 90 in 1997: $34,500
      In today's dollars: $55,000
      Base price of a 2020 Defender: $50,000.

26. 09-11-2019 02:03 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Gotta love the self-proclaimed TCL market genies

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Base price of a Defender 90 in 1997: $34,500
      In today's dollars: $55,000
      Base price of a 2020 Defender: $50,000.
      Thank you for the relativity for those saying this is overpriced.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast