VWVortex.com - 2020 Land Rover Defender finally officially revealed — The rebirth of an icon, coming to the US
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: 2020 Land Rover Defender finally officially revealed — The rebirth of an icon, coming to the US

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      09-16-2019 03:24 PM #251
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      Locking the center diff is the same thing as 4Hi, and it has low range as well. The Trail/TRD adds a rear locker.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I was unaware of the low gear. I personally would rather have a traditional transfer case and a locking rear diff. My opinion is irrelevant though, so carry on.
      I was gonna say, this isn't a RAV4.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      09-16-2019 04:22 PM #252
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I was unaware of the low gear.

I personally would rather have a traditional transfer case and a locking rear diff. My opinion is irrelevant though, so carry on.
      The torsen center diff is the way every 4Runner should come equipped. It gives you all the benefits of an AWD vehicle and still has the ability to do 4Hi, 4Lo, 4Lo w/ rear locked and then enable ATRAC if things really go sideways. If you'd rather do it with a stick then a dial, the 6MT FJ is what you want.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

Vehicles
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      09-16-2019 04:58 PM #253
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      The torsen center diff is the way every 4Runner should come equipped. It gives you all the benefits of an AWD vehicle and still has the ability to do 4Hi, 4Lo, 4Lo w/ rear locked and then enable ATRAC if things really go sideways. If you'd rather do it with a stick then a dial, the 6MT FJ is what you want.
      Lexus GX 470s also have a transfer-case lever
      Last edited by adrew; 09-16-2019 at 05:06 PM.
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

Vehicles
      19 Arteon SEL-P
      09-16-2019 05:12 PM #254
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Lexus GX 470s also have a transfer-case lever
      The gx shifter always reminded me of a wine bag/ old water cantine

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      09-16-2019 07:00 PM #255
      The full time 4WD of the 4Runner is like the Land Cruiser. Very much a true 4WD with hi and lo.

It’s not like the Highlander or RAV4.

An explanation from another forum ...

That said, I'll do my best to address what I hear are your main questions, but the specifics may be a little generic as some changes were made with buttons, etc., especially over different generations.

To answer your direct question specifically, yes, when you lock the center diff, it's the same performance as the part-time system in 4WD.

The Full-time system has a center differential, the only way it can be a true, full-time 4WD. Landcruisers in the US since the 80 series have a similar type of Full-Time 4WD system, a center diff that locks on 4-LO engagement. The Fulltime 4WD system in the 4Runner does not have a 'N' range, it uses a dial that has two positions, 4H and 4L. In the 4Runner, the transmissions have a different designation for the full-time and part-time systems.

The 'part-time' system has what you might think of as a traditional 4WD system, with a lever with 2Hi, 4Hi, N, and 4Lo positions. The part-time system does not have a center diff lock because it does not have a center diff, therefore doesn't need one. Whenever it's in 4WD, it should not be driven on hard surfaces as this could cause front / rear 'driveline windup' where if the front and rear propeller shafts rotate at even slightly different speeds, they will soon cause damage to the transfer case. It would be like driving on hard ground with a rear diff locked all the time - something's going to fail.

Off road capability is identical really if you're thinking about using 4Hi or 4Lo because they're the same. I don't know the 4Lo transfer case ratios from memory, but I know that it's near as makes no difference.

A popular modification by some to the 80 series is to turn it into a part-time system, complete with old-school manual hubs. This is done to improve driveability, not turning all those moving parts effects that to a great degree, and to improve fuel economy, and some think reliability.

I have found that Toyota 4WD systems, especially those with a true 2-speed transfer case, incredibly reliable and messing with them at all will only decrease their reliability.
      ALL the 4x4 4th gens has the center diff. The V8 version had 2WD locked out. The V6 versions had all the drive modes available.

In the 5th gen, only the Limited gets the center diff.

7. 09-18-2019 12:45 PM #256
      Ok priced out our build. Colour scheme will be like our LR3, which we dubbed the Panda.

So the LR3 listed around $65,000 in 2008 and our Defender build which was maybe 2/3 up the ladder in terms of options, is about $85,000. So in 11 years, the price for a near identically sized vehicle went up by about $20k but you're also getting 100hp and 100lb/ft of extra torque, a trans with 2 extra gears, considerably advanced in car entertainment, and a locking rear diff (which our LR3 disappointingly didn't come with). We didn't spec out a full leather interior, third row seats, or the sunroof, all of which our LR3 came with as it's an HSE trim level. We were pleased to see the fridge in the center console option which has surprisingly come in handy many times in our LR3.

Overall I'm pleased with the granularity of the options list for the Defender and the fact that we could literally spec it to almost exactly how we wanted it.

The one thing I didn't spec and may still do so is the onboard air compressor. It just seems like something like that could come in mighty handy. What do you guys think?

Vehicles
      17 Golf Alltrack S, 08 Yukon XL
      09-18-2019 12:55 PM #257
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE

9. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      09-18-2019 01:09 PM #258
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      The one thing I didn't spec and may still do so is the onboard air compressor. It just seems like something like that could come in mighty handy. What do you guys think?
      for the cost of a decent viair bag kit to throw in the trunk when needed, i dont see how its worth paying LRs price...

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      09-18-2019 01:15 PM #259
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      for the cost of a decent viair bag kit to throw in the trunk when needed, i dont see how its worth paying LRs price...
      Same thought I had. In fact, from what I can tell the gold standard is a dual compressor ARB, and even that is the same or cheaper than the LR one. I am presuming you aren't putting 35s+ on these things, so the little $65 Viair I have is probably more than sufficient.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

11. 09-18-2019 02:10 PM #260
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      The full time 4WD of the 4Runner is like the Land Cruiser. Very much a true 4WD with hi and lo.

It’s not like the Highlander or RAV4.

An explanation from another forum ...

ALL the 4x4 4th gens has the center diff. The V8 version had 2WD locked out. The V6 versions had all the drive modes available.

In the 5th gen, only the Limited gets the center diff.

Indeed..I just actually traded in my 5th gen Trail a few weeks ago. Hated to part with it..my favorite vehicle I've owned, and the part time 4wd system was incredible rugged and reliable when I needed it. We needed the extra 3rd row and I just got a GX460. I will admit it's nice having the full time 4wd system for slippery situations when it rains on my mountain road going home etc. I didn't think I would need anything past the part time 4wd. The 4.6 is a sweet motor too. I think Toyota should still offer it in the 4runner.

I love Toyota's (Lexus). Such great vehicles..I love the 4wd systems and their total quality all around.

12. 09-18-2019 02:18 PM #261
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      The V8 was a sweet powertrain but kind of thirsty (14/18). I am surprised that it still has the 5-speed transmission, because even the Orkin-spec Tacoma with the 4-cylinder has a 6-speed. That said, 0-60 in 7.5 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of 15.9 at 89 MPH are fine, in my opinion, for something that's so capable and really pretty unique in today's market. But an extra couple of gears would wring a little more flexibility and MPG out of the torquey old 4-liter. And I'm not sure your average 4Runner person who actually uses the capability would want a twin-turbo DI V6 in there.
      Cite: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15090605/2017-toyota-4runner-4x4-test-review/

It does finally have some modern safety stuff (automatic braking, pedestrian detection, lane departure alert, auto high beams, radar cruise) and is getting AA/CarPlay for 2020.

Agreed. Honestly in my 3 years with my TE 5th gen, I didn't find the 4.0 inadequate. It was more the throttle mapping from Toyota that irked me at times, but I got over that. It always had the power i needed for the most part.

I traded it in ( hard because I really loved that vehicle) for a GX460 a few weeks back. In the short time I've had it, I really love the smooth 4.6L. Combined with the 6AT, it's just a much better powertrain all around. MPG is down but not too horribly much from my T4R. If they dropped that powertrain back in the 4runner it would move out pretty well due to the 4R weighing less than my GX.

Overall, I'm just addicted to these Toyota/Lexus BOF SUVs. I entertained a CPO Discovery and some German options, but the reliability, quality, and just all around solid factor of the Toyota vehicles bring me back to them.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011