VWVortex.com - This just in: GM recalls 3.8 million vehicles in North America due to braking issue...
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: This just in: GM recalls 3.8 million vehicles in North America due to braking issue...

Vehicles
      Audi S3, BMW X3, and a Toyota Appiiance
      09-11-2019 01:37 PM #1

Under pressure from the federal government, General Motors is recalling nearly 3.8 million big pickup trucks and SUVs in the U.S and Canada to fix a brake problem.

There have been 113 reports of crashes and 13 injuries related to the problem, according to GM.

The recall covers the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups from the 2014 through 2018 model years. Also included are the Cadillac Escalade from 2015 to 2017, and the GMC Yukon and Chevy Suburban and Tahoe from 2015 through 2018.

GM says that as it ages, the pump in the power-assist brakes can put out less vacuum power than needed, increasing stopping distance and the risk of a crash.

The company is recalling 3.46 million vehicles in the U.S., and it recalled another 310,000 in Canada back in June. GM said global numbers for the recall weren't available.

Dealers will recalibrate the electronic brake control module at no cost to customers. Owners were to be notified starting Sept. 6.

NHTSA, the government's road safety agency, began investigating the problem in November of last year after getting 111 complaints from owners of poor brake performance. At the time the agency had nine reports of crashes that had caused two injuries.

GM says the problems occur rarely and mostly at low speeds like driving in parking lots. Even with the problem, the brakes "continue to function and exceed the requirements of the appropriate federal motor vehicle safety standard," GM spokesman Dan Flores said.

The vacuum pump is lubricated with engine oil that flows through a filter screen. In some of the trucks, oil sludge or other debris can clog the screen, reducing oil flow and causing the pump's vacuum output to drop, Flores said.

The trucks, he said, have a secondary power brake assist system which works when there are problems with the main system, but it is limited at lower speeds. The reprogramming will activate the secondary system faster.

GM isn't replacing the pumps because pump failures are rare and already are covered by an extended warranty, Flores said. "This remedy will improve brake performance in any situation where brake vacuum drops," he said.

The recall comes 10 months after NHTSA opened its investigation and over two months after the recall was announced in Canada. Asked why it took that long to do the recall, Flores said only that the company has been cooperating with NHTSA and providing data. He said GM would have done the recall even without the NHTSA investigation.

Drivers could feel a vibration in the brake pedal or a change in pressure required to push the brake pedal if their trucks have the vacuum pump problem. If the problem surfaces, owners will see a message on their dashboard telling them to service the brake assist system, Flores said.

Although the recall is a large number, the cost will not be high enough for GM to report it to the Securities and Exchange commission as an event that will materially affect earnings, Flores said. He said he didn't know the cost.
      https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...ssues-65531959
      Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 GSW 4Motion
      09-11-2019 01:45 PM #2
      My 01 Suburban had both front and rear lines rot out at the same time and my father's 04 Tahoe had an ABS box go out and lost his brakes as well. I really with they'd use better materials and parts for such essential components.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
      '17 4Motion GSW, IS38, APR Tune, AWE DP, Uni IC, AFE Magnum;[email protected], 1.98 60'

4. 09-12-2019 03:39 PM #3
      Was just watching a video on brake line failure on a gmt800

Vehicles
      '12 MINI Clubman S '85 Mercedes-Benz 280CE
      09-12-2019 03:46 PM #4
      GM

09-12-2019 04:31 PM #5
      The vacuum pump is lubricated with engine oil that flows through a filter screen. In some of the trucks, oil sludge or other debris can clog the screen, reducing oil flow and causing the pump's vacuum output to drop, Flores said.
      So yet another reason why you shouldn't neglect to follow the proper oil & filter change interval. If you're going so long that the filter is full and passing debris to everything and the oil is turning to sludge, well, you're probably at least in the same boat as 5 to 10% of other drivers I guess. But still; it sounds like the worst of this problem is related to very serious vehicle neglect.

7. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-12-2019 04:41 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      So yet another reason why you shouldn't neglect to follow the proper oil & filter change interval. If you're going so long that the filter is full and passing debris to everything and the oil is turning to sludge, well, you're probably at least in the same boat as 5 to 10% of other drivers I guess. But still; it sounds like the worst of this problem is related to very serious vehicle neglect.
      That was my assessment as well.

I wonder what the advantage of that system is over a regular ol' vacuum system. Is it because of not being able to use manifold vacuum on modern engines?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      It varies.
      09-12-2019 04:47 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I wonder what the advantage of that system is over a regular ol' vacuum system. Is it because of not being able to use manifold vacuum on modern engines?
      I was wondering the same. Why can't "modern" engines use manifold vacuum? Are GM truck engines even that modern?
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

9. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      09-12-2019 04:54 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 4.OMG View Post
      I was wondering the same. Why can't "modern" engines use manifold vacuum? Are GM truck engines even that modern?
      Absolutely. The LT family is only about 3-4 years old. Before that was the vaunted LS.

I was wondering if it's because they can use one system for gas or diesel since diesels don't have much manifold vacuum.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...